WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not being a failure is my new priority

"Dieting" to lose weight = FAIL

:ohwell:
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    maybe 5:2 isn't for you. how bout you just take baby steps... like just eat a little healthier. Maybe make one change at a time. Like just cut out soda. You are not hopeless. I repeat YOU ARE NOT HOPELESS. I think eating 500 calories is hard for everyone... you are not alone. Just start by switching to healthier alternatives. Everything will fall into place if you just don't give up on yourself.

This. I absolutely could not do the 5:2 thing. I would be miserable, starving, and unpleasant to be around. I really think making small changes at a time helps. I started everything by going for a 2 hour walk one day and thinking- I need to do this more, I feel good. So I cut out regular soda and replaced it with diet (I was a soda addict and have managed to tone it down). Then I started counting calories and measuring my food. Then I started going to the gym. Then I started buying fruit for snacks instead of chips (also a chip addict). My weight loss hasn't been fast, BUT it's been sustainable and even weeks that I wasn't working on it (Christmas is a good example), I didn't lose weight but didn't gain it either because I've been making a lifestyle change.

I have accepted that I will probably not be rail thin, because it's just not how I'm built, but, I know I can get rid of a lot of my fat and be healthy.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should give up. 500 calories is torture...eat at a deficit but higher calories. I'd try a different diet.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The people who are successful and keep the weight off don't quit so easily. It's nit just about being "skinny". It's about being HEALTHY.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to see a therapist. Its very easy for people to stand back and tell you that you "don't want it enough" or "you are making it too complicated". Weight loss begins between your ears.

You have to like yourself enough to think you are worth it. Who wants to get instructions from someone they don't really like?

You will get there. You're here.

This is so very true. People often talk about increased confidence and self worth after losing the weight. I had to do it in the opposite order. I could never have dropped the weight without my self confidence increasing first. And I had my share of ups and downs through the process, but liking myself and believing that I could do it and I was worth it were some of the biggest components to my success.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Well after finding out that a tiny wee bit of choccy is 300 calories I won't be eating it again .

Thanks for the TDEE thing that's interesting but I didn't really get what I was supposed to be eating.

I think I just want to try being happy and see if that makes me lose weight
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    No with 5:2 you eat 500 calories 2 days a week not every day.

If that's too hard, then find an easier way

Find out your TDEE. eat 10% less than that each day. The weight loss will be slow, but you'll get there in the end, and it's a lot easier this way. The "catch" is that you have to log your food accurately, as it won't take much error to kill a 10% deficit.... but you'll be able to eat lots and you don't have to have days of only eating 500 calories. And yes you can have any food you want within your calorie goal (but do make sure you're getting enough protein, vitamins etc generally if you do that).

I can't do intermittent fasting either. I get hungry and cranky (aka "hangry") and being too hungry results in me eating waaaaaaaaaaaay too many carbs. But I successfully went from being obese to having a healthy body fat percentage and have maintained that for well over a year now.

You don't have to resign yourself to always being fat. You just have to find the easiest possible way to lose fat that still actually works. So don't give up!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Try this for 2 wks: add "Sugar" as one of the macros you track daily. See what you are logging.

Many people find success by changing their macro nutrients--whether or not it is with 5:2 plan or some other plan. For example, aside from the yogurt (and including the yogurt if it was flavored) your food choices were high carbs--especially sugars. Many people, including myself, have found that eating more natural unprocessed fats (dairy, flesh, nuts, avocado--NOT chips etc) maintains that satiated feeling longer.

Look into low glycemic diets or Mediterranean diets or the currently popular paleo or keto diets to find a short term plan--EVEN BETTER forever plan for your nutrition. Please note that the focus on higher fats can go from moderate to extreme in various plans. Consult with your health professional to find the best for you.

Granola--Yogurt--Banana are generally healthy choices if you observe portion size and choose ones without added sugars.
    A serving size of granola is around 1/4c, and a 1/4c of granola without additional sweeteners in the mix (just whole grains+nuts+unsweetened dehydrated fruit) is very different than one that has sugar and/or honey and/or agave and/or sucrose etc added. The same goes with the cup of yogurt. Sugar content can go from the single digits to double digits as soon as it is flavored--even vanilla. And, the riper the banana the higher the sugar content. Read Labels.

I am not sure what a daily recommended total daily sugar is, but look around and try halving yours and see what happens. A good place to begin cutting sugars is your pantry. Find low or no sugar options to your condiments, salad dressing, nut butters ("no-stir" usually means sugar added), cereals, crackers, chips, soda, bbq sauce, marinades, spreads, and on and on. Just because it it salty or spicey or savory doesn't mean that the manufacturer hasn't added a sugar--ingredients ending in "-ose" are suspect.

Good Luck with your self-discovery!
  • mtrautwe
    mtrautwe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you are an all or nothing person and that's going to impact your weight loss effort. I hear myself in your post and nothing any of us say here will help you until you decide that you are ok with SLOW, SUSTAINABLE WEIGHT LOSS and that you are not going to be fat forever and you are not ok with it. For me, this decision was driven by health rather than looks. For me, my body was speaking to you in the form of acid reflux, joint pain, headaches, fatigue, and I decided to listen. You will have to make that decision too, but if it's driven by an external need for perfection, I'm not sure it will work. It never did for me because the scale and mirror never reflected what I wanted it to fast enough.

That being said, if you do committ, there's so much information here and different tools. Everyone's body is different so different paths work for different folks. For me personally, a slow method that allows me to not be hungry and focus on the right foods that make me feel full is what works.

If you shoot to lose more or less 0.5 lbs a week by the summer you'll be 12 lbs lighter. But you will hit plateaus and sometimes you will gain. But if you stick with it, it will average out to this and you don't have to starve yourself or be deprived. I don't think diets like 5:2 are a sustainable goal. Instead of looking at it like "I have to eliminate these things from my diet", including calories, try to change your mindset to: I have to ADD these things to my daily meals: 30 grams of fiber (about 8-10 per meal), 100 g of protein (lean meat or high protein yogurt) 2 fruits, 3 veggies daily. For me, this works. I also love food and am new to MFP as well as getting my weight under control post baby. I promise that if you eat to be full and healthy, you'll be able to stick to it - that means focusing on protein and fiber via veggies, fruits and lean meats. I am a huge food lover with a hearty appetite. I can't eat 1200 calories a day, that's crazy making for me, but it works for many. Something like 5:2 is completely out of the question for me personally. Also, as you make healthier choices, you'll start to find greasy food a turn off. Sugar is a huge addiction. You need to find something that will cut it off when you have a bad craving. For me, that's squash or yam baked with coconut oil, cinnamon and a bit of natural maple syrup. I allow myself this treat because it's better than a piece of cake, even if it means i'm over my calories goals. Better to maintain than to gain!

Personally, I found the blog posts "in place of a roadmap" very helpful. It's essentially the TDEE - 20% guide and there's a spreadsheet if you like to geek out on that sort of thing, which I do.... :)

I wish you luck; as long as you are happy with whatever choice you make, it's the right one for you.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd "remind" you that you don't actually believe what you just said (wink).

The following is from your profile. You're saying all of this is off the table now, right? Suddenly these things do not matter to you? Hmmmmmmm..... Or is it that you're just having a frustrated moment and choosing to lay down and give up, instead of grabbing your life by the horns and changing things until they work? <==Which of those two options sounds like the mature choice? And which sounds like the immature? Which would you rather be? Immature and overweight? Or mature and healthy? Think about it..............................................

==============================
    About Me:
    •I am a hardworking stay at home mum to my two beautiful boys.
    •Totally love my husband who is supportive, kind, sexy and gentle. Can't wait to lose some weight and feel more positive about myself.

Why I want to get in shape:
    •Better sex
    •Better health
    •To fit into the beautiful clothes I have.

My Inspirations:
    •My bestie, who lost 4 stone last year
    •My gorgeous box of clothes that i do not fit into
    •My husband, who is beautiful and deserves a beautiful wife
    •My children, who love that i can run about with them
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    yikes, you're really shortchanging yourself. you lost 22 kg...so that's like 46 pounds?
    only you know which decision is right for you, so i wish you luck on either way x
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have some friends who have had success with the 5:2, but its not for everyone. I ate 500 calories today between breakfast and post gym! Instead of looking at this journey like a race and a diet why not try and make a lifestyle change and aim for slow but steady weight loss. Like others have suggested calculate your TDEE here http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and try it for a month. If you really want it bad enough than failure will not longer be an option.

Thanks!!!! You Rock!
  • daniicaliforniaa93
    Options
    The people who are successful and keep the weight off don't quit so easily. It's nit just about being "skinny". It's about being HEALTHY.

^^ THIS. YES.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your not losing weight b/c your metabolism has SHUT DOWN! EAT MORE!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Well after finding out that a tiny wee bit of choccy is 300 calories I won't be eating it again .

Thanks for the TDEE thing that's interesting but I didn't really get what I was supposed to be eating.

You didn't see anything about what you're supposed to be eating because you can eat whatever you want. You just have to stick to that calorie goal (TDEE minus 10% or 20%).

Simple.

I literally eat chocolate very day. I just stick to my calorie goal and it works out fine. :smile:
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options

You really really don't have to think like this! If you enjoy chocolate, find a way to incorporate it into your calories. I've lost all my weight still eating chocolate, pizza, ice cream you name it... I go by the mantra of all things in moderation!

If I had restricted myself from the things I loved I would not have made it this far and lost this weight.

May I ask what your daily intake is? You may simply not have enough calories to live off if you're a busy mum!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options

TDEE stands for "Total Daily Energy Expenditure" - the calories you burn in a typical day. Try this calculator to see what you should be eating:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I lost 50 pounds and was hardly ever hungry. I ate smaller meals 5-6 times a day instead of 3 big meals which helped too - that way if you are hungry, you don't have long to wait before the next meal. I also allow myself a "free day" once every two weeks or so, where I eat whatever I want and take a break from logging. I'm always excited about getting back on my program the next day because I don't like how I feel after overeating.

Drink plenty of water to avoid hunger. Also, 1 Hershey's Kiss = 22 calories. I eat 1 or 2 whenever I'm craving chocolate, and easily stay under my calorie goals.

Don't give up. As you get older, your foodie friends and family who are overweight will start getting sick and dying off. It's no fun. This is why I made the decision to change.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

You didn't see anything about what you're supposed to be eating because you can eat whatever you want. You just have to stick to that calorie goal (TDEE minus 10% or 20%).

Simple.

I literally eat chocolate very day. I just stick to my calorie goal and it works out fine. :smile:

This. I have ice cream, everyday. Eat whatever you want, in moderation, and within your calorie goal.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    My issue is comfort eating and not knowing when I am full.

I think 5:2 was hard because it just made me pig out more.

I just want to be a good mum and person

I think being miserable because I am hungry and desperate is just no good for me as a person.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    My doctor doesn't give a ****, I have sat and begged them to help me and they have just ignored it time and time again.