Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    LOLing at the non addicts giving advice on what it is like to be an addict or what is or is not addictive.....

Alcoholics are given sugar when they have the DTs because it is the sugar in the alcohol that their bodies are craving. We are also told to eat candy or drink juice when we think we need a drink, because the sugar in the alcohol is what our bodies desire.

For those who have never been an addict, to suggest to someone that they just moderate is ridiculous. And to suggest they are just simply not strong enough to handle it is borderline mental abuse.

To answer the question for the OP, for now, YES, you must abstain from sugar. If you find later in life you can moderate it, then by all means, enjoy away, but if not, then there are worse things in life than not being able to eat a cookie. I really did not think there would be a life worth living with out alcohol in it, but hey, look at me, enjoying life and chit, even loving it better now that I do not have something that is making me more miserable than making me happy.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    bump for later. great comments. will comment a little later.
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I calm my sugar cravings with the odd haribo. I find there sweet enough to keep me happy :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yessss...and guess what. It's not realistic to think that you will never encounter a birthday cake. And when you do, and you haven't had anything that tastes that good in forever, you're probably going to binge, n go crazy! Lol. Well, that's what I'd probably do anyway. This is supposed to be a LIFESTYLE CHANGE...that means, if you can't do it for life, then it's a waste of time! Even if you lose weight doing it, if you're going to wind up gaining it all back, then what's the point?
    Birthday cake is usually too sweet. There were people eating cheesecake in front of me today, and there I was with my salad and boiled shrimp, but I survived! When I am on maintenance, I guess I would just have a (small) piece, but then you have to be accountable for it and exercise enough to make up for it.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, does it really matter? If you were stupid enough to get addicted to heroine, you're going to need to suck it up and break the addiction in order to get away from it. The same with any other addictive substance, whether it's a physical or mental addiction. Even if you are somehow addicted to junk food (which I don't necessarily buy, but assuming you are), you need to put the oreo down if it's preventing you from reaching a caloric deficit. Whether you call putting the oreo down breaking an addiction, gaining some willpower or eating in moderation, it's all the same in the end.

Honestly this is a pointless argument over semantics, which is abundantly clear by people referencing the DSM. :yawn:

It matters a great deal, actually. When talking about health interventions, therapies, etc., whether or not something is an addiction (or whether a substance produces a dependence) is a big deal.

I can understand how it doesn't seem important to a layperson, but this is Stuff That Matters (tm).

I completely agree! It is not pointless semantics. And the fact that the poster of the top quote would label all addicts as "stupid" is very telling.

^^This...

...and, I'm going to be petty here, but I was the one who accused this poster of "arguing over semantics," last week, because he was doing just that! :grumble:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I have battled sweets all my life. It wasn't so bad when I was in my teens and eating a bag of oreos because I was skinny!! Now I'm FAT. 5'3 and 185lbs AND almost 50! I am a sugar-aholic. I love cookies, donuts, cakes, brownies, not just one piece and walk happily away either. I have to eat it until they are done.

I am worse now than I have ever been. Being a stress eater doesn't help since my job is very stressful and there is crap to eat everywhere!!

I've tried just limiting myself to a "serving" so I get my sweets without feeling deprived but it never seems to work.

Do I quit cold turkey?? Is this to be looked at as any other addiction?

Thank you all in advance.

I wouldn't say it's an addiction as much as it's a compulsion. I found that centering my meals around proteins and veggies and trying to hit my macros has left little room for sweets, so I've tapered back by focusing on OTHER, more filling foods. Unfortunately, a 400 calorie piece of cake does not fuel you as well as a meal, such as a piece of chicken, two veggies, and a fruit does. That's been my experience, anyway.

Additionally, you need to develop mind control over the cookie/brownie/cake. Don't lose a fight with a dessert. There's a MFP'er whose tag line is, "I didn't come this far to take orders from a cookie." Lol! It's true, too. :wink:

Compulsion...yes! Also it sometimes can become an obsession. That's when counseling is a good option. Sometimes talking about your behavior with someone who won't judge you can get you to the point where you can get your head on straight and act right again.

^^True. If it has THAT much of a hold on someone, counseling could help.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, does it really matter? If you were stupid enough to get addicted to heroine, you're going to need to suck it up and break the addiction in order to get away from it. The same with any other addictive substance, whether it's a physical or mental addiction. Even if you are somehow addicted to junk food (which I don't necessarily buy, but assuming you are), you need to put the oreo down if it's preventing you from reaching a caloric deficit. Whether you call putting the oreo down breaking an addiction, gaining some willpower or eating in moderation, it's all the same in the end.

Honestly this is a pointless argument over semantics, which is abundantly clear by people referencing the DSM. :yawn:

It matters a great deal, actually. When talking about health interventions, therapies, etc., whether or not something is an addiction (or whether a substance produces a dependence) is a big deal.

I can understand how it doesn't seem important to a layperson, but this is Stuff That Matters (tm).

I completely agree! It is not pointless semantics. And the fact that the poster of the top quote would label all addicts as "stupid" is very telling.

^^This...

...and, I'm going to be petty here, but I was the one who accused this poster of "arguing over semantics," last week, because he was doing just that! :grumble:

That was me, wasn't it? :laugh: So you think it's not pointless semantics this time?
  • perseverance14
    Options
    LOLing at the non addicts giving advice on what it is like to be an addict or what is or is not addictive.....

Alcoholics are given sugar when they have the DTs because it is the sugar in the alcohol that their bodies are craving. We are also told to eat candy or drink juice when we think we need a drink, because the sugar in the alcohol is what our bodies desire.

For those who have never been an addict, to suggest to someone that they just moderate is ridiculous. And to suggest they are just simply not strong enough to handle it is borderline mental abuse.

To answer the question for the OP, for now, YES, you must abstain from sugar. If you find later in life you can moderate it, then by all means, enjoy away, but if not, then there are worse things in life than not being able to eat a cookie. I really did not think there would be a life worth living with out alcohol in it, but hey, look at me, enjoying life and chit, even loving it better now that I do not have something that is making me more miserable than making me happy.
    I know that was what happened with my friend I mentioned (who used to be an alcoholic), they told her off sugar too or you are not really off.

To bring up another point, I tend to call myself an non-smoker, not an ex-smoker, once you are not even tempted anymore (I am allergic to cigarette smoke now and I can't stand it anywhere near me), I think you can become a "non". Therefore, I don't call my friend an "ex" alcoholic, she hasn't had a drink in about 20 years. I just think of her now as my friend, not my friend the ex-alcoholic.

I think when you start putting "ex" labels on things you still have a connection of sorts, I don't know that is just the way I feel about it.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    No, I think that was me when I suggested IIFYM or general calorie counting aren't, in and of themselves, a "lifestyle change." They're just tools for tracking your nutritional goals/energy intake. But who knows, maybe it was both of us. I can't keep up. :tongue:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Ah it's hard to keep track. I often get accused of arguing semantics.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Alcoholics are given sugar when they have the DTs because it is the sugar in the alcohol that their bodies are craving.

Pretty sure it's the alcohol.

Caffeine is also used in alcohol detox, and there ain't much of that in alcohol.

Gee whiz.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

^^This...

That was me, wasn't it? :laugh: So you think it's not pointless semantics this time?

No, goofball...I was talking about parkscs, but if you want to make this about YOU, be my guest. :laugh:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

What would arguing on the Internet be, but for arguing semantics? I suspect that's 90+% of it. :wink:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

What would arguing on the Internet be, but for arguing semantics? I suspect that's 90+% of it. :wink:

^^Point proven.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yessss...and guess what. It's not realistic to think that you will never encounter a birthday cake. And when you do, and you haven't had anything that tastes that good in forever, you're probably going to binge, n go crazy! Lol. Well, that's what I'd probably do anyway. This is supposed to be a LIFESTYLE CHANGE...that means, if you can't do it for life, then it's a waste of time! Even if you lose weight doing it, if you're going to wind up gaining it all back, then what's the point?

I am trying judicious consumption of sugar/sugary treats. A skimpy version of the "moderation" suggested by those of you who laugh at the idea of sugar addiction. I think that first piece of cake will result in the exact same compulsion to have more, lots more. But I'm hoping that by avoiding complete abstinence I won't get that feeling that I am "entitled" to lots more.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Alcoholics are given sugar when they have the DTs because it is the sugar in the alcohol that their bodies are craving.

Caffeine is also used in alcohol detox, and there ain't much of that in alcohol.

Gee whiz.

Pretty sure huh? You a recovering alcoholic? You work in rehab? If you have no idea what you are talking about, its a pretty good idea to keep quiet.
  • perseverance14
    Options

Gee whiz.
    I was talking about ACTIVE alcoholics I have known in my life, when they were not drinking, they were eating things like candy, ice cream, etc.

Most alcoholics don't drink 24/7, the ones I have known eat sugar on the "off" days.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Gee whiz.

Pretty sure huh? You a recovering alcoholic? You work in rehab? If you have no idea what you are talking about, its a pretty good idea to keep quiet.

:laugh:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Well, my father was an alcoholic, but no.

I don't need to be an alcoholic or work in a rehab clinic to know you're talking crap. No offence.

Alcohol is not sugar, nor a form of sugar, and your body doesn't turn it into sugar.
  • sminkica
    Options
    Hi there! I can totally relate. I started back on this app the first week of Jan. I seriously love sugar and chocolate.
    The thing that I've been doing is not buying sweets. At all. Even though my hubby and kids nag me about it.
    Then…. if I'm craving sweets I have to make it from scratch. Somehow by doing this i can really see what goes into it. 2 cups of sugar for a cake. Frosting is all butter and sugar. So.. when I'm eating it after I've made it I'm looking at the frosting and I can really taste the butter and sugar and I know it's bad. It helps my sweet fix but I don't go overboard.