Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Pretty sure huh? You a recovering alcoholic? You work in rehab? If you have no idea what you are talking about, its a pretty good idea to keep quiet.

Well, my father was an alcoholic, but no.

I don't need to be an alcoholic or work in a rehab clinic to know you're talking crap. No offence.

Alcohol is not sugar, nor a form of sugar, and your body doesn't turn it into sugar.
    Excuse me? During the process of fermentation, yeast breaks sugar down into ethanol and carbon dioxide, so it started out as...sugar.

Started out as sugar, and then was metabolized by a microorganism into something else. Alcohol is not sugar.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    I have felt exactly what you have written. I have felt like I have an addiction. I think that was just me making excuses for when I ate bad. Not that it's been long since really trying to change things. It's only been a couple weeks...and I can't say I've been perfect. The first few days I had a bad headache but since then I feel great. I just always have a water bottle and every time I think about food I take a drink. I have a 24 oz Costco water bottle and I have been drinking at least 4 of them a day. It seems to be helping and helping me get the water I need each day. Good luck and stay strong!!
    I think there are a couple of things involved here. Most of my life, I was borderline hypoglycemic (my fasting blood sugar was around 55 most of the time), it stayed that way until about 10 years ago, when it became "normal" (about 90), slowly, it started climbing (I think that is when I entered "insulin resistance" territory in spite of exercising a lot and eating right most of the time, with occasional periods of carelessness), so when my fasting BS went out of the 90 range for the first time (it was 105) that was a huge wake up call. I know full well the only way to fix this is to get (really) serious about your diet. If I could have done it with exercise, I would have because I have certainly put in enough effort (I don't mean the exercise I do now on a 1,000 calorie diet, I mean the exercise I used to do like HIIT).

Really, I think diet is the only real answer, prescription drugs are like a bandaid on a hole in a dam.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member

Pretty sure huh? You a recovering alcoholic? You work in rehab? If you have no idea what you are talking about, its a pretty good idea to keep quiet.

Well, my father was an alcoholic, but no.

I don't need to be an alcoholic or work in a rehab clinic to know you're talking crap. No offence.

Alcohol is not sugar, nor a form of sugar, and your body doesn't turn it into sugar.
    Excuse me? During the process of fermentation, yeast breaks sugar down into ethanol and carbon dioxide, so it started out as...sugar.

You get a cookie.

For pointing out that ethanol is not sugar, it was once sugar and through a chemical process known as fermentation is no longer sugar.

C6H12O6 (glucose) -> 2 C2H5OH (ethanol) + 2 CO2 (carbon dioxide)
  • jonnythan
    glucose.gif

fructose.png

300px-Ethanol_Keilstrich.svg.png
  • perseverance14
    Started out as sugar, and then was metabolized by a microorganism into something else. Alcohol is not sugar.
    I am not saying it IS sugar, but you are acting like sugar had nothing to do with it, not true and you know it.
  • HappyStack
    Uh, no. Re-read what I wrote.
  • jonnythan
    Cows eat grass and metabolize the grass into T-bones.

Don't act like grass has nothing to do with T-bones.
  • perseverance14
    My original post SAID what you just said, are you always like this?
  • jonnythan

I must be misunderstanding your point.

Someone Else: "Alcohol is not sugar, nor a form of sugar, and your body doesn't turn it into sugar. "

You: "Excuse me? During the process of fermentation, yeast breaks sugar down into ethanol and carbon dioxide, so it started out as...sugar"

SE: "Started out as sugar, and then was metabolized by a microorganism into something else. Alcohol is not sugar."

You: "I am not saying it IS sugar, but you are acting like sugar had nothing to do with it, not true and you know it."

I am reading your statements as saying that alcohol is similar to sugar, or alcohol is like sugar, or alcohol acts like sugar. I am saying that alcohol is not sugar nor is it like sugar.

Am I misunderstanding you?
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    OP - this will shock you I know ..but you can eat sugar and lose weight, just make sure that you hit your macro targets and eat in a caloric deficit.

the 80/20 rule is helpful…808% healthy, 20% whatever you want ..ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc…

Labeling foods as "bad" is a sure fire way to end up on the path of repeated failure.

While I agree from the standpoint that yes you can lose weight in this way looking at it from a pure caloric standpoint, I do believe that there is a possibility of addiction based on the link I posted earlier to Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y).

I also base this also off of how I feel when I have a bit of an over-abundance of sugar in my diet nowadays, but most especially how I felt and had actual PHYSICAL symptoms of withdrawals even before starting on MFP and starting to learn about nutrition. I was completely oblivious and unable to be affected by a "placebo" effect of the withdrawal symptoms I was feeling when I cut out a lot of the sugars from my diet when I started because I had no idea at the time that there may have even been something I was "coming down" off of.

Granted none of this is to say that I try to cut out sugars completely from my diet 100% of the time. Every week I have a one or two days that I eat some pizza or have icecream or whatev. I refuse to cut something out of my diet 100% of the time, period. I like my pizza too much, or my ice cream to give it up 100% lol!

Watch the video in full before criticizing any further (or just criticize anyway for the trolls sake). Please also provide me links to the scientific studies on how sugar doesn't have any sort of addictive qualities. I would love to read and/or watch some informative documentaries trying to prove otherwise.

aaaaaaand NEED MOAR POPCORN!...

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

just clarify one thing…You are addicted to sugar, but now eat sugar? or you were never addicted to sugar, but believe in said addiction..?

Heh, it's the quantity and frequency of intake my friend. There's been enough studies to show alcoholism is a physical addiction, but yet there's plenty of us that have the occasional drink and don't get addicted. How about Vicodin? There are those that need to take Vicodin occasionally for certain non-chronic pain who don't get addicted to Vicodin, but those that end up having to take Vicodin on a daily basis end up getting an addiction do to the frequency and quantity of what they take.

So you're saying that alcohol and Vicodin obviously can't be addictive since people can have them sometimes and not instantly be addicted?

You did not answer my question…typical way to avoid a question you do not want to answer. Deflect the point, turn it back on the person asking the question, and then ask them a question that has nothing to do with original question.

But I will play your game. Once one is defined as an alcoholic then they are an alcoholic for life. I do not know any alcoholics that have stopped drinking, and can go back to an ocassional drink. If they do it leads to disaster and they have to go back into rehab. Sure some people can drink alcohol and not get addicted. I don't know how this pertains to my question to you. I simply asked if you are saying the following:

a - you are addicted to sugar, and now use it occasionally?
    b - you are not addicted to sugar but believe in said addiction?

Pretty simple questions...

This is why I love that one commercial for the rehab center, where the guys says, "I used to be an addict, and now I'm not." LMBO! :laugh:
  • Andy04042
    Andy04042 Posts: 1 Member
    I had the same problem. The only way I was able to beat the sugar "addiction", and it is an addiction, was to quit cold turkey. And not just sugar but carbs in general. After being off sugar and carbs for two weeks, the cravings disappeared. However if I simpy cut down, I'd be right back to my old habits. Like alcoholism, it is an addiction and you simply have to break the cycle. Once you have, it really is quite simple to keep off the sugar. Try things that are sugar free, with all the advances in the use of sugar substitutes and sugar alcohol, there are plenty of choices. Good luck
  • HappyStack
    Um... this is what I said.

And then you did a hoity-toity "excuse me, ethanol was once sugar" thing, and now we're here and I'm not sure what's going on, so here's a rabbit with a waffle on its head...

21310kg.jpg
  • perseverance14
    Cows eat grass and metabolize the grass into T-bones.

Don't act like grass has nothing to do with T-bones.
    Whatever the cow ate ultimately effects the person who eats that t-bone.
  • perseverance14
    I had the same problem. The only way I was able to beat the sugar "addiction", and it is an addiction, was to quit cold turkey. And not just sugar but carbs in general. After being off sugar and carbs for two weeks, the cravings disappeared. However if I simpy cut down, I'd be right back to my old habits. Like alcoholism, it is an addiction and you simply have to break the cycle. Once you have, it really is quite simple to keep off the sugar. Try things that are sugar free, with all the advances in the use of sugar substitutes and sugar alcohol, there are plenty of choices. Good luck
    I said it once, I am going to say it again, hypoglycemia and insulin resistance, both of those things can cause intense sugar cravings. It has happened to me more than I care to think about.

Why don't we just call it a "condition" instead of an "addiction".

Controlling sugar is the only answer, I don't believe total elimination is necessary, but if it ever gets to the point I need to do that, I will. That said, severe curtailing is definitely necessary.
  • HappyStack
    To be fair, her "correction" was 100% unnecessary and had nothing to do with what was being said.

If you're going to try and correct something that isn't incorrect, expect to be called up on it.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member

Someone Else: "Alcohol is not sugar, nor a form of sugar, and your body doesn't turn it into sugar. "

You: "Excuse me? During the process of fermentation, yeast breaks sugar down into ethanol and carbon dioxide, so it started out as...sugar"

JT - you don't drink enough whilst playing on these threads. I couldn't do that ^^^^ if you paid me. But I drink wine.
    SE: "Started out as sugar, and then was metabolized by a microorganism into something else. Alcohol is not sugar."

You: "I am not saying it IS sugar, but you are acting like sugar had nothing to do with it, not true and you know it."

I am reading your statements as saying that alcohol is similar to sugar, or alcohol is like sugar, or alcohol acts like sugar. I am saying that alcohol is not sugar nor is it like sugar.

JT: you don't drink enough. I couldn't do that ^^^^ if you paid me. But I drink wine.
  • jonnythan

JT - you don't drink enough whilst playing on these threads. I couldn't do that ^^^^ if you paid me. But I drink wine.

JT: you don't drink enough. I couldn't do that ^^^^ if you paid me. But I drink wine.

Oh god. Jon + alcohol + MFP would be the most fun the forum ever had.... until the mods permbanned me 10 minutes later.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    OP - this will shock you I know ..but you can eat sugar and lose weight, just make sure that you hit your macro targets and eat in a caloric deficit.

the 80/20 rule is helpful…808% healthy, 20% whatever you want ..ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc…

Labeling foods as "bad" is a sure fire way to end up on the path of repeated failure.

While I agree from the standpoint that yes you can lose weight in this way looking at it from a pure caloric standpoint, I do believe that there is a possibility of addiction based on the link I posted earlier to Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y).

I also base this also off of how I feel when I have a bit of an over-abundance of sugar in my diet nowadays, but most especially how I felt and had actual PHYSICAL symptoms of withdrawals even before starting on MFP and starting to learn about nutrition. I was completely oblivious and unable to be affected by a "placebo" effect of the withdrawal symptoms I was feeling when I cut out a lot of the sugars from my diet when I started because I had no idea at the time that there may have even been something I was "coming down" off of.

Granted none of this is to say that I try to cut out sugars completely from my diet 100% of the time. Every week I have a one or two days that I eat some pizza or have icecream or whatev. I refuse to cut something out of my diet 100% of the time, period. I like my pizza too much, or my ice cream to give it up 100% lol!

Watch the video in full before criticizing any further (or just criticize anyway for the trolls sake). Please also provide me links to the scientific studies on how sugar doesn't have any sort of addictive qualities. I would love to read and/or watch some informative documentaries trying to prove otherwise.

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

just clarify one thing…You are addicted to sugar, but now eat sugar? or you were never addicted to sugar, but believe in said addiction..?

Heh, it's the quantity and frequency of intake my friend. There's been enough studies to show alcoholism is a physical addiction, but yet there's plenty of us that have the occasional drink and don't get addicted. How about Vicodin? There are those that need to take Vicodin occasionally for certain non-chronic pain who don't get addicted to Vicodin, but those that end up having to take Vicodin on a daily basis end up getting an addiction do to the frequency and quantity of what they take.

So you're saying that alcohol and Vicodin obviously can't be addictive since people can have them sometimes and not instantly be addicted?

You did not answer my question…typical way to avoid a question you do not want to answer. Deflect the point, turn it back on the person asking the question, and then ask them a question that has nothing to do with original question.

But I will play your game. Once one is defined as an alcoholic then they are an alcoholic for life. I do not know any alcoholics that have stopped drinking, and can go back to an ocassional drink. If they do it leads to disaster and they have to go back into rehab. Sure some people can drink alcohol and not get addicted. I don't know how this pertains to my question to you. I simply asked if you are saying the following:

This is why I love that one commercial for the rehab center, where the guys says, "I used to be an addict, and now I'm not." LMBO! :laugh:

That is a pretty xenophobic view of recovery and addiction. There are LOTS of models based on moderation, nutrition, counseling, etc. that are pretty successful. It is the AA model, which is home grown and bred, that gets the most traction here. Not in the rest of the world. Unless you are an addict yourself? I am just a professional, not an "expert."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

That is a pretty xenophobic view of recovery and addiction. There are LOTS of models based on moderation, nutrition, counseling, etc. that are pretty successful. It is the AA model, which is home grown and bred, that gets the most traction here. Not in the rest of the world. Unless you are an addict yourself? I am just a professional, not an "expert."

not an addict, just my personal experience with people that have had problems….
  • HappyStack
    Guys, honestly... you have thousands or hundreds of posts here. How have you not learnt to trim quotes yet?