I see many with very pour nutrition in their diet.

Options

Replies

• alicialetta
    alicialetta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    popcorn2.gif Wow, 8 pages in just over an hour. Anyone got the Cliff notes?

Hahaha! It seems to me, the general gist is young vs old, bacon vs not bacon? I don't know. Spelling and grammatical errors galore, and generally people with a lot of time on their hands.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

OP says we're doing it wrong and should do it her way, though she's regained everything, and we should listen because she's 70 and at her age, it isn't rudeness, its refreshing honesty and bluntness.

Oh and god isn't dead.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, OP. It's clear that you mean well, but the post came off as kind of a bossy "know-it-all." A lot of people around here have been here a long time and have had great success simply following MFP's calorie logging method and eating what they want within their calorie limits. They don't want to be told what to do by a new person and they don't want misinformation to be spread either.

I've been here on MFP maintaining for almost 3 years now, and I cook AND eat gourmet food (just like you) all the time, but I never have an issue with keeping the weight off. There's nothing wrong with eating foods you enjoy, as long as you keep the calories in check (mind your portions and earn more calories through exercise.)

I do agree with you that for health, you should keep the focus primarily on well balanced, nutritious foods, but there's no one rule for everyone to follow when it comes to choosing which foods to eat for weight loss or maintenance. Like the 2 slices of bacon and 3 slices of bread a week thing. That's kind of arbitrary and meaningless for most of us.

I get that you are trying to be helpful. This is a rough crowd sometimes. Good luck with your weight loss! :flowerforyou:
    Great post
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    LOLWUT

You're not the boss of me.

#ThankyouverymuchIeatwhatIwantandIalreadylostmyweightandhavebeenmaintainingfor10months
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Pardon me for interrupting. I'm sorry so many have questioned your wise expertise and sage advice.

However, your post comes across with a "know-it-all" attitude that isn't usually well-received from newcomers to this website.

Forgive me if I choose to question your belief system about food and weight loss. However, I have been quite successful at losing weight all while eating McDonald's, fast food, and other indulgences. Your post really does come off judgmental as you can't look in someone's diary and know their personal goals or strategies to fitness and health. You have an opinion about certain foods while others do not share it.

Looking down on others or shaming people's choices is sort of frowned upon here. It's not exactly the best way to introduce yourself.

This reply gets bonus points for tact.
    Tact?
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Wow. Need a ladder for that horse?
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have lost a ton of weight. I eat McDonalds. A hamburger is not going to kill me once in a while. French fries are not going to kill me either. I eat pizza too! I have to live with the eating habits I develop now for the rest of my life. I have to be realistic otherwise I will fail, like I have in the past.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Ornery ol' sage tells the whippersnappers how to live longer.

Brilliant!
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As contentious as the posting was always going to be, there are some valid points in there.

My diary is open only to friends. That said, I'd be the first to admit that I sneak some crap in there sometimes - and that sometimes I'd benefit from either moderating it or eliminating it.

I'm going to dwell on the positive and just say that this posting was a welcome reminder to look at the foods themselves and not just the calorie count.

Yup. I didn't say not to treat yourself with your favs once in a while I did say moderation. You can't deprive yourself completely or you will fall off the wagon so to speak. But when I see someone take in almost 5000 in sodium in a day that is not healthy. My advice is from experience and given in kindness but I see there isn't much kindness in return here. If no one wants it then don't take it. simple as that
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Eyes on your own paper, thanks.

This is the best post I've ever seen on the site hands-down.

Don't care if that makes me lame.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As contentious as the posting was always going to be, there are some valid points in there.

My diary is open only to friends. That said, I'd be the first to admit that I sneak some crap in there sometimes - and that sometimes I'd benefit from either moderating it or eliminating it.

I'm going to dwell on the positive and just say that this posting was a welcome reminder to look at the foods themselves and not just the calorie count.

Yup. I didn't say not to treat yourself with your favs once in a while I did say moderation. You can't deprive yourself completely or you will fall off the wagon so to speak. But when I see someone take in almost 5000 in sodium in a day that is not healthy. My advice is from experience and given in kindness but I see there isn't much kindness in return here. If no one wants it then don't take it. simple as that

:laugh:

Oh my.
  • fortally
    Options
    While this advise may have been well intended, the approach was simply awful. Everyone is here to make a change. In my 10 years of "dieting" I've gone from needing to lose 10 lbs to needing to lose over 200. It is not about drastic changes or will power. I've done all that. I lost 120 lbs in 7 months a few years back. I lived on green beans and fish. The weight fell off, but the minute the weight was gone, I wanted real food again. Gained back the 120 plus another 50 for good measure. I've done denial to the hilt, and lost and gained more weight than I care to think about. I've juiced, done Atkins, cabbage soup, Nutrasystem, and so on. This time i'm not dieting. I'm not giving up foods I know i'll crave until they throw me off my goal. I'm going to try something that will work for the long haul. Keeping my calories in check and moving more. If I want bread, I will eat bread as long as I have the calories for it. These are changes for the rest of my life, not just until I reach a goal weight. I'm ready to get off the diet bus that only seems to stop in fatville. I judge no one and cheer on anyone brave enough to make their diary's available for scrutiny. Bacon and white bread won't kill me as quickly as constantly dieting and gaining huge amounts of weight back is going to. That said, my grandmother lived to the wonderful age of 95. She cooked everything she ate in bacon grease and thought nothing of eating pie for breakfast. She didn't eat the "right" foods, but she never over ate either. She ate what she wanted in moderation and never stopped moving. She would have made it to 110 had it not been for breast cancer. Those of us who battle our weight face judgement everyday, we don't need it here. Try a more positive approach next time, more people may actually hear your message. Good luck to all!

LOVED this! Thank you!!
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just had KFC, McDonald's, AND Taco Bell all in one day ... I guess I should be dead right about now. :ohwell:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You know what this thread needs?

Cats.

And diabetus.

image.png
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Pardon me for interrupting. I'm sorry so many have questioned your wise expertise and sage advice.

However, your post comes across with a "know-it-all" attitude that isn't usually well-received from newcomers to this website.

Forgive me if I choose to question your belief system about food and weight loss. However, I have been quite successful at losing weight all while eating McDonald's, fast food, and other indulgences. Your post really does come off judgmental as you can't look in someone's diary and know their personal goals or strategies to fitness and health. You have an opinion about certain foods while others do not share it.

Looking down on others or shaming people's choices is sort of frowned upon here. It's not exactly the best way to introduce yourself.

Tact?

Yep.
    That looks like someone was making an attempt at tact.
    As a matter of fact, I think MANY people have given tactful and helpful replies.
    Sure, there were less-than-tactful ones, but honestly, compared to some I've seen, this thread is Happy Land.
  • brynna24
    brynna24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi! thanks for posting! i am struggling with new recipes that are higher in protein and less in sodium. i am at my calorie goal, but my sodium is out of control! people keep telling me that it is fine, as long as i am at my calorie goal i will still lose weight. while i do want to lose some weight, i also want to be HEALTHY! i used to do weight watchers, and one of the things i really miss is the free points for fruits and veggies...it seems strange to eat them on this program when they have calories:( i would pick a rice cake over a banana, which is probably not the best choice. if you have any kind of smoothie recipes, or any recipes with more protein, i would appreciate it! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I just had KFC, McDonald's, AND Taco Bell all in one day ... I guess I should be dead right about now. :ohwell:
    yikes
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    diabeetus.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Tact?

Yep.
    That looks like someone was making an attempt at tact.
    As a matter of fact, I think MANY people have given tactful and helpful replies.
    Sure, there were less-than-tactful ones, but honestly, compared to some I've seen, this thread is Happy Land.
    I guess I didn't read "tact" in that reply.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    You know what this thread needs?

Cats.

And diabetus.

image.png

What if I said this made my night?!?!?!