Trying to gain muscle. Why no cardio?

Options
ok - thanks to all the folks who've chimed in to my questions regarding gaining some muscle. Now just to clarify, I'm only looking to put on about 10lbs max.

In any case, a constant advice from people telling me how to build muscle is basically "avoid cardio." Why?

How does cardio prevent you from building muscle? Is it because you're burning excess calories in cardio? In that case, should I just eat more?

Or is it something like "cardio releases too much lactic acid, and causes your muscles to break down, blah blah blah..."?

I really would like to be able to put on muscle in addition to continuing to work my cardio, because the sports that I enjoy demand a good level of cardio. I'm only looking to put on some muscle to help my explosiveness and power (think speed more than heavy weight). Yes, Power is a function of strength, but it's a function of strength over time, so the faster I can move something, the better

Thanks to all the people who share their knowledge and experience on the forum.

Replies

• takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I can only speculate. I am running and trying to gain muscle. I am focusing on building muscle right now, so I have cut back from running sessions. Part of this is the amount of calories I eat when I'm focused on running + the amount of calories I needed to build muscles became too much for me to do. I had to draw the line and set a priority. Now during the Spring, I will switch over and focus more on running and switch to maintaining my current build.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Intense cardio longer than a certain time limit (not sure what it is, need some scientific studies, but lets just say 15 minutes HIIT) is catabolic, it necessarily starts the process of muscle breakdown. And of course, burns calories but this can be offset with eating.

This is why you'll see professional bodybuilders do 2 types of cardio. Low Intensity stuff for an hour (walking, slow stairmaster) or 10 minutes of HIIT.

Just dont go running a half marathon every week.
  • anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Finally an answer that makes sense to me! Thanks!

Oh well - my vball sessions often run 2 hours. 2-3 times a week. I'm guessing that's been keeping most of my muscle off of me.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a jacked marathoner? no.

Have you seen jacked sprinters? yes.

This is because long,steady state cardio wears/breaks down and uses muscle as fuel.

That's why body builders do 'incline' walk and some light-medium cardio on an empty stomach 3 x / week for no more than 30 min.

If you focus on lifting weights and do cardio on the side, you will put on a lot of strength/muscle, but you might put on fat as well.
    It's a fine balance...

In the end?

It's 100% diet. If you do a lot of running, then eat a lot of complex carbs and eat a lot of protein throughout the day along with omega 3 fatty acid, and other essential supplements to prevent muscle breakdowns.

You notice how after a long run, you can't bench/curl, do any lifts as much as when you don't?

Do your weights first, then do HIIT at the end.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with trojan, when you perform high intensity cardio, the protein needed by your muscles, is used in running. Now Don't quit on cardio at all. Keep it lite. Gaining weight is not a problem unless you have some illness. Otherwise, a good diet and little workout is enough. Let your body gain some weight. Lite exercise will keep your muscles in shape.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Cardio is fine. It just makes it harder since you have to eat more calories. (And get enough rest without running yourself down!)

It also might release more stress hormones that induce more catabolism (I've heard that but I'm not sure if that's really true unless you actually overtrain...might be broscience).
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Good topic!

This is interesting to be because my life is essentially steady state cardio (am a livestock farmer) and as well as my lifting I also play rugby (1 or 2 80min training sessions/week and a match (another 80) on Saturday) and will be looking to bulk soon.

Looks like I should be eating a load when I do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good topic!

This is interesting to be because my life is essentially steady state cardio (am a livestock farmer) and as well as my lifting I also play rugby (1 or 2 80min training sessions/week and a match (another 80) on Saturday) and will be looking to bulk soon.

Looks like I should be eating a load when I do.

save up a few cows, you'll be fine!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    In for a read at it all later :)
  • willdb76
    Options

This is because long,steady state cardio wears/breaks down and uses muscle as fuel.

I thought this was because being jacked was helpful if you are a sprinter, but being light and lean was helpful if you are a long distance runner.

If you do cardio won't you use up your glycogen reserves first, then body fat, THEN (as a last resort, when the other two are depleted) muscle?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've seen lots of people that dislike cardio say it's catabolic but the only credible science I've seen related to ultra marathon runners.
    If you have some please post....

Here's a report on the ultra marathon runners that showed some leg muscle loss but bear in mind they ran 2,788.7 miles in 64 days - that's over 43 miles a day !
    http://healthland.time.com/2010/11/30/lessons-from-ultra-endurance-runners/

The preferred energy sources are glycogen and fat and only when they are depleted would your body turn to protein/muscle.
    Most people can do cardio for two hours before glycogen depletion (hitting the wall as marathon runners put it or bonking as cyclists describe it). I don't believe anyone doing a reasonable amount of cardio and has an adequate diet needs to worry about cardio reducing muscle mass. My own experience training for and completing a 100 mile cycle was nothing but increased leg strength and muscle size.

If you think of elite endurance athletes from all sports they all do a huge training volume - so if that was harmful how do they manage to remain elite performers?
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I thought this was because being jacked was helpful if you are a sprinter, but being light and lean was helpful if you are a long distance runner.

If you do cardio won't you use up your glycogen reserves first, then body fat, THEN (as a last resort, when the other two are depleted) muscle?

No, you never use just one fuel source. It's always a combination of them, just in varying degrees. It all depends on how fit you are and how used to the workout type you are. Muscle is a last resort fuel, but if you don't use it, you'll lose it. It's expensive to maintain and heavy to carry around, but used as fuel for exercise? Not so much. Takes too long to convert to fuel for short term cardio use.

Tell Chris Hoy that he shouldn't do cardio:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2177954/Olympics-2012-Chris-Hoy-His-intense-workout-regime-diet.html
  • JJMaritz
    JJMaritz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but here's how I see it.

If you need say 3400 calories daily to gain x amount of kg per week (sho, that's a lot of food!) and you do some intense cardio daily and burn say 350 calories, you only "provided" 3150 odd calories for your body to use that day.

Most pro bodybuilders dont do a lot of cardio anyways as muscle burns more calories for maintenance...so the bigger you get...the more you have to eat it seams. I think for us normal folk doing some form of cardio whilst trying to achieve 205 pounds with low bodyfat could easily be done.
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    [guote]

No, you never use just one fuel source. It's always a combination of them, just in varying degrees. It all depends on how fit you are and how used to the workout type you are. Muscle is a last resort fuel, but if you don't use it, you'll lose it. It's expensive to maintain and heavy to carry around, but used as fuel for exercise? Not so much. Takes too long to convert to fuel for short term cardio use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2177954/Olympics-2012-Chris-Hoy-His-intense-workout-regime-diet.html
    [/quote]

I agree with this.

I do a lot of cardio (spin, run, classes) - I'm building muscle very nicely! I think you just have to be careful what you eat, make sure you eat enough protein, fuel your workouts adequately, eat enough carbs, etc.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

That's why body builders do 'incline' walk and some light-medium cardio on an empty stomach 3 x / week for no more than 30 min.

If you focus on lifting weights and do cardio on the side, you will put on a lot of strength/muscle, but you might put on fat as well.
    It's a fine balance...

In the end?

It's 100% diet. If you do a lot of running, then eat a lot of complex carbs and eat a lot of protein throughout the day along with omega 3 fatty acid, and other essential supplements to prevent muscle breakdowns.

You notice how after a long run, you can't bench/curl, do any lifts as much as when you don't?

Do your weights first, then do HIIT at the end.

That is because the body will adapt to the conditions and activities it partakes in.

A marathon runner does not need bulky muscles, in fact it would not be conducive to efficient long distance running, therefore the body eventually adapts and you end up with slow twitch fibres in the muscles.

A sprinter on the other hand is partaking in an explosive sport, muscles are needed for this, the body will adapt accordingly, with fast-twitch fibres.

For information by the way, a sprinter DOES do lots of cardio, they run. It is the type of running that will determine the bulk the person ends up with.
  • Submariner5
    Options
    In for the thread. I'm facing the same concerns. Trying to lose body fat while retaining max muscle. It's a constant mental connundrum to decide between keeping useful calories (protein) in my diet and workout focused on weights, vs trying to speed the fat loss with a larger calorie defecit and more cardio. Haven't figured out if I'm doing it right yet.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I guess the cardio is why he eats 6000 calories a day?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In for the thread. I'm facing the same concerns. Trying to lose body fat while retaining max muscle. It's a constant mental connundrum to decide between keeping useful calories (protein) in my diet and workout focused on weights, vs trying to speed the fat loss with a larger calorie defecit and more cardio. Haven't figured out if I'm doing it right yet.

stop wanting to do it quickly! then you wont have as much of a problem!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    1. Gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus. Low intensity steady state cardio can rack up a large amount of calorie expenditure meaning your surplus is eroded or wiped out altogether. So, do less cardio or eat more.

2. Cardio is said to be catabolic (and you want to be in an anabolic state to gain muscle.) The case for this is massively overblown. The hormonal environment tends to become catabolic at around 80 - 90 minutes from one decent study of the matter. Even then this can be mitigated by refuelling appropriately (chocolate milk anyone?)

Up to you how you approach it. If you want to include cardio it isn't a big deal. Either eat more (and who wants to do that right) or don't log significant mileage. Your gainz will be just fine brah ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to do this - "Trying to lose body fat while retaining max muscle" - then adequate protein and a small calorie deficit are the way to go combined with a good, progressive weight training routine.

My personal choice was a small calorie deficit by including a lot of cardio exercise as well as my weight training and lot's more food, which seems to be a win/win. Same calorie deficit as no cardio less food but less restricted diet and increased CV fitness and sporting performance.