Surprises when logging ??

Options

Replies

• L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Croissants and pastries... I rarely eat them anymore, mostly because they don't fill you up :sad:
    Bread. Just... ugh. I probably used to eat 1000 calories worth in one sitting. Now I buy the kind I tolerate and not the kind I love so I don't eat the whole loaf at once.
    Butter. 50 calories in a tiny piece. WTF.

haha I KNOW RIGHT?!
  • sesquive
    sesquive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yup! It's a sad existence! I made Brioche this week and it takes all sort of will power not to eat the whole loaf with a stick of sweet cream butter. Oof.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to order this when I went out and thought it was healthy until I looked it up: Applebees Chicken Oriental Salad (grilled).

1290 Calories
    81 grams of fat
    12 grams of saturated fat

I was seriously depressed for a few days after I found this out. O_O

Here is the half salad (grilled) with no dressing:

360 calories
    20 grams of fat
    3 grams of saturated fat

ALWAYS check before you order something at a restaurant!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Exotic dried fruit :- (
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The sodium in milk! WTF, cows?
  • janeytom
    janeytom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This topic is awesome! As a newbie, I appreciate all the additional information.
    My "surprise"? Sodium in a McChicken. "only" 360 calories (as stated on the menu board), had it with the bottle of water I had with me. I got home and logged it in- 1250 g of salt!
    Lesson learned- pre-list my foods, and bring my own when I'll be on the road.
    Thanks for all the info!
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    The carbs in a bagel really surprised me - I mean I know its a carby fod but 50g WTH
    Breaded fishcake/fillets etc also because they're not v high in protein and quite high in carbs

I've also had surprises with things being lower cal than I expected, such as some Indian sweets
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This topic is awesome! As a newbie, I appreciate all the additional information.
    My "surprise"? Sodium in a McChicken. "only" 360 calories (as stated on the menu board), had it with the bottle of water I had with me. I got home and logged it in- 1250 g of salt!
    Lesson learned- pre-list my foods, and bring my own when I'll be on the road.
    Thanks for all the info!

YES pre-logging definitely helps me too
  • JayDavila
    Options

HMMMMMMMMM good to know, i'll have to look into this more.
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I came across this post because I just had one of my WTF moments earlier this week. A route 44 Sonic Unsweetened Iced Tea has 25mg of sodium. Blows my mind! Needless to say I will make my own iced tea at home that has zero mg for sodium in it.

Applebee's salads were a shocker for the amount of everything in them how high the sodium is.

Wendy's Homestyle Chicken sandwich surprised me in a good way as it is only 510 calories. It is good for when nothing but a fried chicken sandwich will do.

I am still trying to figure out what to substitute for the condensed soups in recipes.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Tortillas. 300 effing calories for basically a flavorless edible wrapper.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Kinda surprised with the difference you can make by just changing a couple small things.

I thought a Taco Bell Taco Salad wouldn't be too bad, but when I looked at the nutrition facts I had to ditch that idea.

Instead I get 2 Fresco Chicken soft tacos and dump the contents into a bowl and skip the tortilla soft shell. Again NO SHELLS. Then I add a side of Mexican rice, a side of Pintos & Cheese without the cheese. Its got a lot of volume but not many calories or carbs. The sodium is still pretty high though, just not as high as the usual menu salad.

340 calories vs 770
    45 carbs vs 75
    8 fat vs 41
    3 sugar vs 8
    1570 sodium vs 1650 :(
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Tortillas. 300 effing calories for basically a flavorless edible wrapper.

I just looked at the Taco Bell nutrition information today and found that the crunchy shells are actually lower in everything then the tortillas. Who would have thought??
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni. Damn.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Kinda surprised with the difference you can make by just changing a couple small things.

I thought a Taco Bell Taco Salad wouldn't be too bad, but when I looked at the nutrition facts I had to ditch that idea.

Instead I get 2 Fresco Chicken soft tacos and dump the contents into a bowl and skip the tortilla soft shell. Again NO SHELLS. Then I add a side of Mexican rice, a side of Pintos & Cheese without the cheese. Its got a lot of volume but not many calories or carbs. The sodium is still pretty high though, just not as high as the usual menu salad.

340 calories vs 770
    45 carbs vs 75
    8 fat vs 41
    3 sugar vs 8
    1570 sodium vs 1650 :(

Nice job!!
  • sunshinekymi
    Options
    Zaxby's. I'm just starting - and as a college kid it's really hard to eat healthy (especially if all your roommates are boys). I went to Zaxby's for lunch, and when I logged what I ate it was nearly 1000 calories. Some meals at McDonalds don't even go that high!
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Things that are very, very sad:
    A serving of cereal
    A serving of ice cream
    A serving of peanut butter
    A serving of nuts or trail mix

These are my favorite things, and looking at a bowl of a single serving of ice cream is like staring into an empty abyss.

EXACTLY !! LOL
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pesto. I was so freaking shocked when I found out it was 330 calories per 1/4 cup! So now I have to go light on the pesto. :sad: