OMG Everything I know is wrong!

Options

Replies

• fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Why would you close your diary if you want help. Seems like a pointless activity if you ask me.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    And yet even with a reduced metabolism, at the still high body weight this woman is, with the relatively low caloric input she's claiming is her norm, she'd still be losing.

Slowed metabolism =/= No Metabolism
    No metabolism = Death

People starving, whether in Africa, the Americas, Asia, or orbiting the world, all have slowed down metabolisms, but the human body, even in times of starvation, never slows down to the point where basic energy needs are not met.

If a "successful" anorexic can can be dangerously underweight, and STILL lose weight through daily restriction and exercise, but this almost 200 lbs person apparently can't, despite eating so little, and apparently burning huge amounts of calories in her work outs, something is wrong.

And what's even more dangerous for the OP is that, since she in all likelihood is eating FAR more calories than she thinks now, how much worse will it be when she's logging twice as much? She could be getting comfortable one day at eating 3,100 calories of poorly measured, unweighted food, and easily be consuming over 4,000 calories.

Come on bro, we're talking about a professional athlete here, not an African. It doesn't work the same way. Try to keep up.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My brother is a marathon runner and it is typical for runners to gain weight. I am not a nutritionist - just sharing what I know. With the amount of running you are doing your exposing your body to internal oxidative stress which triggers your cortisol levels to go up. Check out this video. http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-balance-cortisol-levels-326754334
    Hope it helps!
    Hugs!

This is very true. OP: Did your doctor test your hormone levels?

Yes and my Thyroid all perfect.

You must be overeating or your HRM isn't working properly anymore and is overestimating calories burned when you exercise because if you don't have anything going on hormonally, then there's no reason why you aren't losing weight.

I certainly don't think increasing calories to 3100 is the right answer. That sounds kind of silly to me.

I'd recommend seeing a dietician instead of a nutritionist for a second opinion before you start eating 3100 calories and end up with a bigger problem and more unhappy.
    FYI my "Nutritionist" is also a registered "Dietician". and my maintenance would be so high because of my activity level. Remember I run marathons and lift and cross train. I don't sit on a couch all day and eat pasta.

Well you must be eating something because you aren't losing weight.

Again thank you for your concern but now I am starting to feel like you and a few others are harassing and attacking for the sport of it which is so MFP forums and I should know better than to engage. I am sorry that you feel the need to point out that you think I am doing something wrong. This is why I sought professional help because I thought I was doing something wrong. I don't need a random stranger harassing me through the internet. I closed my diary after leaving it open for 3 years because i felt harassed by one of the other posters. No one here that is offering their opinion in the way you and a few others are is trying to help, it seems to me that you are more bored than anything and like attacking others on the internet and pointing out their shortcomings because you arent ok with yourself.

BINGO!!!

Do not know who she is referring too nor do I care but that seems to be the theme around these parts; Condescending adults who think they know it all and obviously unhappy with themselves! Positive people do not shove ideals down folk's throats. Do not engage yourself with that type of BS! Keep it pushing!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As an aside, I have seen plenty of "nutritionists" that give horrible advice...

Exactly and based on anything I read to become a "Certified Sports Nutrionist" doesn't take 8 years...

You "should" have an undergraduate degree from a college but it doesn't have to be in sports medicine, or kinesiolgy...it can be in liberal arts...even then if you have worked as a personal trainer for 4 years you can write the 220 T/F question exam and get 75% and pass...

Yah I'm gonna listen to a liberal arts grad who manaaged 75% on a 220 question exam...../sarcasm

8 years is usually required to become a registered dietician. /no sarcasm

But she isn't seeing a registere dietician she is seeing a "sports nutrionist" way different.

Not necessarily. Many dieticians refer to themselves as nutritionists.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    BINGO!!!

Do not know who she is referring too nor do I care but that seems to be the theme around these part; Condescending adults who think they know it all and obviously unhappy with themselves! Positive people do not shove ideals down folks throats. Do not engage yourself with that type of BS! Keep it pushing!

Pointing out logical errors and giving out correct information is a sign of not liking one's self and being a negative person?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Do not know who she is referring too nor do I care but that seems to be the theme around these part; Condescending adults who think they know it all and obviously unhappy with themselves! Positive people do not shove ideals down folks throats. Do not engage yourself with that type of BS! Keep it pushing!

It's me, dear heart. And I am quite happy with myself. I'm positive that if she takes your advice and that of her nutritionist, she will gain weight, and we'll see a post in a month or two titled "help, I'm eating what my nutrititionist told me to and I gained weight!"
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Against my better judgement.... I'm gonna go with 5 on this one.

wile-e-coyote-300x225.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why would you close your diary if you want help. Seems like a pointless activity if you ask me.

The OP says she was sharing her experience in case it might help others. She didn't ask for help.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    That's fine. This is the problem I have.

Everyone can say their peace, what works for them, etc and if the OP doesn't agree then keep it pushing.

Why keep on engaging trying to tell an adult what she is doing wrong or what she should be doing?

I know most mean well, but beating a dead horse still doesn't bring them back to life.

Say your opinion, advice and keep it pushing. At the end of the day looking out for yourself is all you need to do.

And I say that with the utmost respect.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone who posts improper and perhaps hurtful information feel like they need to be coddled?

Bottom line, you post here you are contributing to the knowledge pool - even if what you're saying is wrong. People reading these things will incline themselves most towards the point of view that closely resembles what they want to hear, not necessarily what is right.

OP - congrats on your weight loss, congrats on your level of activity. Nobody is attacking you. Your assertions are being challenged.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options

The OP says she was sharing her experience in case it might help others. She didn't ask for help.

but christ she got it in spades! makes me wonder how vile you keyboard warriors would be to someone who actaully ASKED for your "expert" advice
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Everyone can say their peace, what works for them, etc and if the OP doesn't agree then keep it pushing.

Why keep on engaging trying to tell an adult what she is doing wrong or what she should be doing?
    Maybe because we all know the train wreck is coming and are trying to get her to look at this with logic and objectivity so she won't be back in a month having regained half of what she has already lost.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options

She never once asked for help during this thread and has maintained that but people started giving advice (right or wrong) anyway.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

but christ she got it in spades! makes me wonder how vile you keyboard warriors would be to someone who actaully ASKED for your "expert" advice

No one was vile. We give this exact same advice whenever it's asked for. Because it's correct, and will actually help people.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    trust me i've tried every "low calorie" way to lose weight in the past including weighing all my food. It doesn't work because it's not enough food. I'm sorry but as much as I appreciate your advice I think I will listen to the person who has a degree based around this since doing the low calorie thing isn't working.

Ask this nutritionist to explain simple physics -- how does your body create energy from nothing?

unicorn tears and pony farts.

duh.

I'm 5'8" and 165 (ish).. I eat roughly 2000-2500 a day... that high days of 25-2700 include my work out days of heavy lfiting and several hrs of dance. I'm BULKING trying to put on weight and doing so slowly- very slowly.

At 3000+ there is just no way...you are going to lose weight. nope nope nope nope nope nope.
    Just to clarify, the nutritionist told her 3100 is maintenance and suggested cutting at 2100.

yeah- that's not maintenance. cutting at 2100 isn't going to be helpful because that's probably closer to maintenance.

For a young woman with weight to lose who runs marathons?? Unlikely. That barely over maintenance for me and I'm a 52 yo woman who's been sitting at a desk most days for over 30 years.

where did OP say she runs marathons??? Did I miss that? I saw something about 25 miles a week...
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone who posts improper and perhaps hurtful information feel like they need to be coddled?

Bottom line, you post here you are contributing to the knowledge pool - even if what you're saying is wrong. People reading these things will incline themselves most towards the point of view that closely resembles what they want to hear, not necessarily what is right.

OP - congrats on your weight loss, congrats on your level of activity. Nobody is attacking you. Your assertions are being challenged.

Exactly. OP: Most people can't eat 2100 calories and lose weight simply because they aren't as active as you. We just don't want others to get the wrong idea and then end up in a bigger mess.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, the nutritionist told her 3100 is maintenance and suggested cutting at 2100.

My mistake. Either way, if she's not losing at 1,300 (and is honestly tracking accurately), she won't lose at 2,100.

From the OP's original post " I should be eating 3100 calories a day and 75 percent carbs" I did not see anything about cutting to 2100..unless I missed that...
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    trust me i've tried every "low calorie" way to lose weight in the past including weighing all my food. It doesn't work because it's not enough food. I'm sorry but as much as I appreciate your advice I think I will listen to the person who has a degree based around this since doing the low calorie thing isn't working.

Ask this nutritionist to explain simple physics -- how does your body create energy from nothing?

unicorn tears and pony farts.

duh.

I'm 5'8" and 165 (ish).. I eat roughly 2000-2500 a day... that high days of 25-2700 include my work out days of heavy lfiting and several hrs of dance. I'm BULKING trying to put on weight and doing so slowly- very slowly.

At 3000+ there is just no way...you are going to lose weight. nope nope nope nope nope nope.

yeah- that's not maintenance. cutting at 2100 isn't going to be helpful because that's probably closer to maintenance.

For a young woman with weight to lose who runs marathons?? Unlikely. That barely over maintenance for me and I'm a 52 yo woman who's been sitting at a desk most days for over 30 years.

where did OP say she runs marathons??? Did I miss that? I saw something about 25 miles a week...

Yeah, she said she runs marathons. And runs approximately 25 miles a week, cross trains, and lifts. Oh and doesn't sit on her *kitten* all day eating pasta.
  • Sreneesa
    Options

Maybe because we all know the train wreck is coming and are trying to get her to look at this with logic and objectivity so she won't be back in a month having regained half of what she has already lost.

My last comment on this because like I said above, "BEATING A DEAD HORSE ISN'T GOING TO BRING IT BACK TO LIFE." LMAO!!!

Saying the same thing over and over again and obviously she doesn't agree isn't going to accomplish anything. I know most mean well. I do not take that away from y'all. But, we can sit here and argue all day but shoving ideals or opinions down ones throat who obviously has her mind made up isn't going to accomplish anything but hard feelings.

That is all I'm saying. If you cannot understand that then I do not know what to say. lol
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    As an aside, I have seen plenty of "nutritionists" that give horrible advice...

Exactly and based on anything I read to become a "Certified Sports Nutrionist" doesn't take 8 years...

You "should" have an undergraduate degree from a college but it doesn't have to be in sports medicine, or kinesiolgy...it can be in liberal arts...even then if you have worked as a personal trainer for 4 years you can write the 220 T/F question exam and get 75% and pass...

Yah I'm gonna listen to a liberal arts grad who manaaged 75% on a 220 question exam...../sarcasm

8 years is usually required to become a registered dietician. /no sarcasm

But she isn't seeing a registere dietician she is seeing a "sports nutrionist" way different.

Not necessarily. Many dieticians refer to themselves as nutritionists.

That's like saying that many brain surgeons refer to themselves as nurses aides.