Surprises when logging ??

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Early on while losing weight, I went out to breakfast - got a florentine omelet with egg whites, toast, a couple strips of bacon and OJ .. a nice 16-oz glass of OJ. When I came home to log it It was a serious eye-opener to see that the OJ has more calories than the entire rest of my breakfast ....

This. Before I joined MFP, I just for some reason dismissed the calories in juice. Now I go for the low-sodium V8.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I was unpleasantly surprised at how many calories/carbs are in a supposedly 'healthy' subway meal. Based off serving sizes of homemade meals, I am guessing a 'serve' would be about half of a 6 inch.

I was really happy when I calculated the calories of my homemade veggie and chicken soup. I was thinking it was about 2-300 calories, but I added everything I put in in to a recipe site, and found out I can eat it with 2 ryvita rye slices, and come in at under 200 calories for the meal :)

It also surprised me when I found out how big (or small) an actual serve is how easy it is to actually eat this little and still be full. Makes me wonder how I managed to put SO MUCH food in to my body before.
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    I was really surprised to find out a cup of cooked oatmeal has nearly 200 cals. I would've guessed 150.
    And sausages! Almost 300 for just one link! Ouch! Now I cut them up into pieces and eat them in soups or salads.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think the thing that surprised me was the salads at restaurants. Yes, with all the add-ins I expected it to be higher calories, but not the same amount as if I had ordered a burger and fries :noway:
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    I am shocked daily on the amount of sodium in EVERYTHING! :explode:
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think the thing that surprised me was the salads at restaurants. Yes, with all the add-ins I expected it to be higher calories, but not the same amount as if I had ordered a burger and fries :noway:

LOL That's usually why when I go out to eat (Which is not too often) I just make it a cheat day and not go overboard. That's when I just order that burger and fries and adjust my workout later LOL
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Almonds are ridiculously high in calories!! Over 250 calories for a handful!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Tortillas. 300 effing calories for basically a flavorless edible wrapper.

I just looked at the Taco Bell nutrition information today and found that the crunchy shells are actually lower in everything then the tortillas. Who would have thought??

Corn tortillas vs flour ... big difference
  • hf91
    hf91 Posts: 23
    Options
    Love this thread! My heart died a little when I realized how many calories were in granola. I lived off that stuff. And peanut butter. I like me some PB2 but nothing will ever compare to creamy Jif :(.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    restaurant food in general! it seems like they sit around a table in suits and figure out how to make the calorie count as high as physically possible. like, 1000 calories for a salad!?!? Come on!
  • JayDavila
    Options
    restaurant food in general! it seems like they sit around a table in suits and figure out how to make the calorie count as high as physically possible. like, 1000 calories for a salad!?!? Come on!

^ ^ ^ LOL true!
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that by eyeballing my cream(half & half) in my coffee I was actually getting 3 servings (120 cals) per cup of coffee not one serving (40 cals) Now I always measure!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Last time I've been to Mc Donald's I picked a sandwich that really didn't look that bad. It was almost 800 kcals :noway:
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    So much sodium in everything!! haha
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    A Costco food court cheese pizza slice...700 calories!!! Actually seems like all their food court items were horrendous. I also had that moment with Stacy's simply naked pita chips. About 10 chips are 130 calories!!! Def not worth my calories.. I was pleasantly surprised with Dannon's light and fit Greek yogurt. Pretty filling and only 80 calories. It's a wonderful snack but I wish it didn't taste as artificially sweetened. I guess you can't have everything. :cry:

I'm still trying to find a protein bar that isn't super high in sugar and tastes decent. Any suggestions??
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    A Costco food court cheese pizza slice...700 calories!!! Actually seems like all their food court items were horrendous. I also had that moment with Stacy's simply naked pita chips. About 10 chips are 130 calories!!! Def not worth my calories.. I was pleasantly surprised with Dannon's light and fit Greek yogurt. Pretty filling and only 80 calories. It's a wonderful snack but I wish it didn't taste as artificially sweetened. I guess you can't have everything. :cry:

I'm still trying to find a protein bar that isn't super high in sugar and tastes decent. Any suggestions??

lol no kidding huh? I sampled an artichoke dip that was divine the other day and ended up buying it (it's huge) now I don't want it in my fridge tempting me so I am going to take it to work and pawn it off on the boys :bigsmile:
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ever since I was six I read every nutrition label, so I can't say I'm surprised.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I tried those yogurts, couldn't get past the artificial aftertaste. I'll stick to the 100+ calories stuff.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Wish I can eat yogurt but every flavor or brand I try is soooooo weird and nasty to me LOL