bump
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. Though I have a question about the TDEE 20% method, and wondered if anyone could advise?
    Using this calculator www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc - which preset method should I choose if my intentions are to shed a little fat (I am only 123lb but need a body recomp as I have fat to lose in stomach area) but I am weight training to build muscle.

Any advice would be great thanks!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. Though I have a question about the TDEE 20% method, and wondered if anyone could advise?
    Using this calculator www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc - which preset method should I choose if my intentions are to shed a little fat (I am only 123lb but need a body recomp as I have fat to lose in stomach area) but I am weight training to build muscle.

I don't use the preset methods, I just use the calculator because it's the one I have found most accurate. If you are new to lifting you may recomp slightly with a smaller deficit (TDEE-10%) and heavy lifting. If you like calorie cycling you could use their slow weight loss method (-20/0) and come out about the same as the TDEE-10%.
  • corsiva
    corsiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love the sponge analogy!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Like it! Sometimes I want to scream at ppl which is not my nature with some of their choices in "Diets" or workouts. Common sense to some aren't so common.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mrs_Kettlebell
    Mrs_Kettlebell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • daniicaliforniaa93
    Options
    Bump.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!! Ty :flowerforyou:
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I don't use the preset methods, I just use the calculator because it's the one I have found most accurate. If you are new to lifting you may recomp slightly with a smaller deficit (TDEE-10%) and heavy lifting. If you like calorie cycling you could use their slow weight loss method (-20/0) and come out about the same as the TDEE-10%.

Awesome - thank you for your response. One question though, do you mean the calorie cycling would be -20% and then on workout days - maintenance calories. Do I have to worry about how the macros are split?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Awesome - thank you for your response. One question though, do you mean the calorie cycling would be -20% and then on workout days - maintenance calories. Do I have to worry about how the macros are split?

Yes, for calorie cycling on your off days (or cardio days) you would do -20% and on lifting days you would eat at maintenance. There's no real advantage to doing that vs just eating -10%, but it can be satisfying to have more calories one day. Macros is going to be something you will determine based on feel and experience. My suggestion is simply make sure you get around 1g/lb lean body mass for protein and experiment with carbohydrate and fat numbers. Don't cut carbs or fat completely because both are good for the body and muscles.
  • rexiecatmeow
    rexiecatmeow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    love this post!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Great post! Congrats and thanks for the advice.