Punishment for my son. I need ideas!

Options

Replies

• My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    At that age, I found taking things more effective. X-box, phone, laptop, whatever.

THIS.

Whats important to your kid? Whatever it is. Thats what you take away. Most kids today cant live without their phones, internet, computer or video games. Id be willing to bet its one of the reasons hes also skipping homework.

When he demonstrates some responsibility by doing his homework first, then he can have all the toys back.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    This is what I have threatened with LOL!! I told him if he didn't straighten up I would drive him to school, hold his hand as we walked into class and help him hand over the homework.

As to actually completing the homework. We told him we wanted to see it every night. Sometimes he claimed he finished it in class and our response to that was that he still had to bring it home and show it to us since it was not officially due till the next day.
    I saw a video on FB that showed a parent going to school with their daughter who was acting up in class--went to every class with her and sat thru each of her classes until she straightened up and started taking school seriously. How embarrasing to have a parent there all the time!

Don't know if you're in a position to be able to do that...but I sure wish I would have thought of that when my daughter was in school!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Don't be a helicopter parent. There are natural consquences for him not doing his homework. He'll experience them and make changes. It's hard to sit back and let him do that but in the long run, both of your lives will be much better and less stressful.

The all-knowing, all-powerful Max

(pay no attention the man behind the curtain)

I agree, helicopter parents make life difficult for their children. Let him fail. What happens to you when you don't do something you are supposed to do.....there is a consequence. Let him learn about consequences. There is no better teacher than failure.

Are you serious right now? Providing consequences for your children so that they can avoid setting their lives up for failure is actually what a parent is supposed to do. Do you really think he will care if he flunks math now? He might care when he is 30 and flipping burgers, but not right now.
    I agree with this - they don't care at this age if they fail - but you will as a parent If they are living in your basement. Stay on his butt - make him do the manual labor and remind him they don't let people sleep under bridges anymore...
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't be a helicopter parent. There are natural consquences for him not doing his homework. He'll experience them and make changes. It's hard to sit back and let him do that but in the long run, both of your lives will be much better and less stressful.

I agree, helicopter parents make life difficult for their children. Let him fail. What happens to you when you don't do something you are supposed to do.....there is a consequence. Let him learn about consequences. There is no better teacher than failure.

Are you serious right now? Providing consequences for your children so that they can avoid setting their lives up for failure is actually what a parent is supposed to do. Do you really think he will care if he flunks math now? He might care when he is 30 and flipping burgers, but not right now.

I am very serious.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Put him in a room with books and notebooks and stare at him until he gets uncomfortable.

Ha! I really like that one!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I guess I'm one of those dreaded helicopter parents. LOL I don't get why being concerned about homework is a helicopter parent....they still need guidance, right? IDK....

ANYWHO!!

I went through this with my son, I got him additional homework assistance (he still wouldn't turn in his homework). It wasn't until I started taking his electronics away and giving him manual labor that he started to realize he was making his own life more difficult. It took a hot minute, but once he had all of his luxuries taken away and I made it clear what I expected from him - things improved DRAMATICALLY.

Now my daughter has some learning challenges - she just needs the extra time/explanation. So she's in a weekend tutoring program and her anime watching time has been limited to the weekends. This is motivating her to bring up her grades so she can watch Black Butler or whatever after her homework is done.

Btw, my son is 19 now and in college, pulling a B average. :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all of these ideas...
  • uscdburk
    Options
    Have you taken away privacy? I have a friend that took his daughter's bedroom door off the hinges until she started doing what she was supposed to in school. It didn't take long for that to work.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    How about setting aside a time for him to do his homework and helping him?

Teens and tweens don't want mom and dad helping them with their homework. He will just start lying to her and saying he doesn't have any. Besides, at that age, they need to learn how to work independently.

Sure. Just keep coming up with cool punishments and watch him fail. I went down this road as a kid. Then there was military school and set study hours and tutors. The set study hours and tutoring did what all the punishments in the world couldn't. I'm seeing the same issues with my own kids. Kids need structure and guidance. He can learn to work independently in high school and college, but he has to get there first.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    you have failed as a parent and the only logical conclusion is to put the kid up for adoption and hope better parents come along
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that your child is not challenged enough? As a teacher I often see this. Maybe make him do a research paper for you instead. Let him relish in the consequences that the teacher will pose on him for not doing his homework.
    The tasks may be tedious, maybe sit down and help him do his homework. Schedule time right after school for you and him at the table every night with no distractions.
  • sageryu21
    sageryu21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Show him a pamphlet for a Military School and tell him if he doesn't straighten out, that's where he will be going.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Show him a pamphlet for a Military School and tell him if he doesn't straighten out, that's where he will be going.

This is the plot of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options

Not wanting your child to fail a grade is being a helicopter parent???!
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    LOL! We've (father = former Marine, me= former Air Force) already begun teaching my soon to be 12 yr old how to fold his shirts!
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Have him write a short essay describing the benefits he hopes to gain by not doing his homework...:smile::smile: and he should read the essay to you after he completes the essay!!:glasses:
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I agree with this - they don't care at this age if they fail - but you will as a parent If they are living in your basement. Stay on his butt - make him do the manual labor and remind him they don't let people sleep under bridges anymore...

Agree with you as well. Cant believe the suggestions to let their kid fail, or embarass their kid. This shows a real lack of maturity and responsibility. So I guess if that persons kid was playing with matches, they would just let them keep playing until everyone in the house was set on fire. THAT would teach everyone a lesson. Great job dad! *parent of the year sticker for you*
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

This is the plot of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

50454-air-guitar-bill-and-ted-gif-reo0.jpeg
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Kind of my thought too. I ALMOST flunked out of school my senior year, That could have affected the rest of my life.. I didn't get into the local university/colleges and went to a community college and struggled to get through one semester. I don't know that allowing your child to fail out of 'tough love' is the right thing to do in this situation.

I know my life would have been different had I put more effort into school and got a degree, my parents just didn't care/ weren't around enough to point out the importance.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Have you taken away privacy? I have a friend that took his daughter's bedroom door off the hinges until she started doing what she was supposed to in school. It didn't take long for that to work.

I did this. Didn't work. Nothing worked (for me), including sitting with her and helping with her homework. She would yell at me and tell me I wasn't doing it right. She just had to learn the hard way.