Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Burpee marathon!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Don't be a helicopter parent. There are natural consquences for him not doing his homework. He'll experience them and make changes. It's hard to sit back and let him do that but in the long run, both of your lives will be much better and less stressful.

This. My son did the same thing in 7th grade. We finally went to counseling and the counseler said just ignore it. By 8th grade, he was back in top for. It gets to be a power play, and you are losing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The key to this is making it about what the KID wants. It's their choice what level of reward/consequence they get each report card. The parent in this situation shouldn't be nagging or even closely monitoring, not even a guilt trip if the grades come back poor. The kid made the choice, the parent just follows the plan that has already been agreed upon.

You know, it's a great method, but honestly, it doesn't work on all kids and it doesn't matter the age. I've tried things like this with my youngest and it just doesn't motivate her. As a matter of fact, she will intentionally do pooly just to show you that it won't motivate her.

Your kid sounds like me in elementary school. I did grow out of it, but it is true that each kid will be different. BUT, when talking law of averages, this technique seems to be the one that works for the largest number of people.

Yes, my daughter is outside of the Bell curve. She is gifted and Asperger's. Her IQ is higher than mine. It can be a challenge.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    When they were little, I would give my kids "the blackout" ... Nothing electronic (except a lightbulb) for x amount of time. Small things would get a 2 hour blackout. Big .. maybe even a 48 hour blackout.

Now that they're in high school, they dont get the WiFi password of the day until homework is done.

I like that idea a lot!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My parents had a grade/freedom chart. Down the left side it had all the things I did: watch tv, have tv in room, be out past dark, have car, drive car, play sports, go to friends etc etc etc. Across the top was GPA (from 0.0 – 4.0). Depending on what the freedom was, I had to maintain a certain GPA. I might only have to have a 3.0 to own my car, but I would have to have a 3.7 to actually drive the thing. Every quarter, we’d take my report card, figure the GPA and lay a ruler down the chart to see what I could and couldn’t do, what I was going to get or get taken away, how cool my life was going to be or how bad it was going to suck. I hated that effing chart but looking back I think it was an excellent approach. It gave a clear explanation of consequences vs. expectations. It was way better than having something happen, my parents get pissed and randomly select a punishment. I knew that if I didn’t keep my grades at a certain level, exactly what I was going to lose. It sounds like you’re taking his stuff away when he does badly. This only allows him to react to the sudden change and possible just get pissed at you instead of accept he did this.

I think sounds very interesting...but not sure it would work on all kids. I was a rebel-child and that sort of chart seems it would work for a parent-pleaser. Unless my parents had started it an earlier age....I think I started going down hill around 14.......my grades sucked well before that!

The key to this is making it about what the KID wants. It's their choice what level of reward/consequence they get each report card. The parent in this situation shouldn't be nagging or even closely monitoring, not even a guilt trip if the grades come back poor. The kid made the choice, the parent just follows the plan that has already been agreed upon.

That's exactly how it worked. The RC came in the mail, we sat down and found out if I was going to hate or love the next three months (till the next report card). My parents never asked about homework or tests. If they ever fely my workload was a little light, they'd just say, "I sure hope your grades are up, because the RC comes in a month and that "insert thing I wanted/wanted to do) is just a few weeks after".
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My parents had a grade/freedom chart. Down the left side it had all the things I did: watch tv, have tv in room, be out past dark, have car, drive car, play sports, go to friends etc etc etc. Across the top was GPA (from 0.0 – 4.0). Depending on what the freedom was, I had to maintain a certain GPA. I might only have to have a 3.0 to own my car, but I would have to have a 3.7 to actually drive the thing. Every quarter, we’d take my report card, figure the GPA and lay a ruler down the chart to see what I could and couldn’t do, what I was going to get or get taken away, how cool my life was going to be or how bad it was going to suck. I hated that effing chart but looking back I think it was an excellent approach. It gave a clear explanation of consequences vs. expectations. It was way better than having something happen, my parents get pissed and randomly select a punishment. I knew that if I didn’t keep my grades at a certain level, exactly what I was going to lose. It sounds like you’re taking his stuff away when he does badly. This only allows him to react to the sudden change and possible just get pissed at you instead of accept he did this.

I think sounds very interesting...but not sure it would work on all kids. I was a rebel-child and that sort of chart seems it would work for a parent-pleaser. Unless my parents had started it an earlier age....I think I started going down hill around 14.......my grades sucked well before that!

I like this. Clear expectations. Clear consequences. The kid makes the choice.
  • xxcatyxx555
    Options
    So I know I'm still a kid myself and I don't have any children but I do know my dad wanted me to give me an incentive to do well so He said if I made honor roll I could get a tattoo.

I'm not saying go get your son tatted up but tell him if he does well he can have something that he REALLY wants. It's a positive way to discourage negative behavior.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Don't be a helicopter parent. There are natural consquences for him not doing his homework. He'll experience them and make changes. It's hard to sit back and let him do that but in the long run, both of your lives will be much better and less stressful.

The all-knowing, all-powerful Max

(pay no attention the man behind the curtain)

I agree, helicopter parents make life difficult for their children. Let him fail. What happens to you when you don't do something you are supposed to do.....there is a consequence. Let him learn about consequences. There is no better teacher than failure.

Exactly. Unless you want to follow him around his whole life "making" him be responsible. If he fails a grade, he repeats. Unfortunately that is where a parent freaks out and starts trying to fix everything instead of letting the kid experience consequences. 7th grade is old enough to learn to take responsibility for their own choices and actions.

Well I guess somebody has to flip burgers and clean toilets.

Yes. And it will be someone who has learned responsibility and showing up on time, and getting the job done. I see no need to insult someone who flips burgers or cleans toilets.

I'm not exactly sure how indicating that someone who fails the 7th grade is likely to be flipping burgers and cleaning toilets for a living is an insult, but if you see something derogatory in that declaration, then perhaps you should encourage your kids to take their education seriously.

I think that the insult comes from assuming that the kid will be skilled enough to flip burgers/clean toilets. Based on the level of responsibility being shown, the kid would lose that burger flipping job within the week. It's actually pretty hard to get a good janitorial job if you haven't graduated high school. Trust me, I've tried.
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTM0TrGlE9kmyzcysZSwvRBlNZx4NKRQkmaAJiyWQZq4cfuM_s9SQ

That would work too.... lol
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I would totally make him wear bum outfits to school, until he starts doing his homework.

Horrible idea.

Agreed.
  • Slayergios
    Slayergios Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Punishments / "helicopter parenting" may not be the way to go in this situation, unless you're totally cool with potentially having your child hate/resent you for the rest of their childhood (and possibly longer). It did absolutely nothing for me and it actually got me to act out far worse AND do worse in school. Even after my parents realized that years later and eased up, allowing me to actually have the space to do my work, it was too late to make up for. I was very introverted as a child, and the attempts to force me to do homework with my parents hovering around was analogous to the square peg / round hole idiom -- and the threats/enforcements of punishment simply turned resentment to anger.

They chose this route with me because they had spoiled their first child, (my older brother (by 10 1/2 years)) which basically ended up with him dropping out of college due to entitlement issues (he later went back and finished his degree -- we both lead 'successful' lives now (i.e. not flipping burgers)). Due to my brother's dropping out, my father went heavy-handed (sometimes literally) on the punishments for me. Bad choice. The other way around would have been the ticket for both of us. My brother needed the guidance and discipline while I was very self-reliant, but I despised being smothered / constantly looked after to the point where I would rebel against it. Looking back at it, due to their choices in upbringing, both my brother and I were emotionally stunted for years. I have a rather tenuous relationship with my parents to this day. Not saying that this will happen to you and your son, nor am I judging you or your situation in any way. Take it for what it is: a tale of caution.

TL;DR: The right approach VERY much depends on the child. There isn't a one-size-fits-all path to take in parenting. NEVER use one child's response to a certain method to determine what is right for another child. Counseling is there if you need it as an option for your son.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    they are HIS grades, not yours.
    If he has to repeat 7th grade, let him.
  • stevansrb
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLMdTU3aHgumexjIUUCQ1MrZgW7sGtq4t2XT63LuF5Ui7SQvtC
  • KidDisasterJC
    Options

Ok, FIRST thing that needs to happen is this ^. I know I bombed the h#ll out of 7th and 8th grade because I hated drawing attention to myself as the smartest person in the class. I would intentionally fail a test just so I could show other students my test paper when they made the "well of course SHE got a 100" comments.

100X this! I got C's & D's in junior high because I was tired of being the smart one. And also, because I knew it 'didn't matter'. Nothing would stay on record for college till 9th grade. So I made the most out of being 'bad' for those two years. I also hated most things about school, bad teachers, lost good friends, etc. Junior high was just stressful. By high school I self corrected and graduated with *almost* straight A's the entire time.

As for punishment, nothing. My parents let me fail, let me see the consequences. They cared, and they would offer advise, but never forced me into things or punished me.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just came up for air at work and checked back in here. Thank you so much for all your input!

This is the part where I'm supposed to get really butthurt at the criticism and then not take any advice because I'm already doing everything right...right?! :wink: Just kidding! A lot of you have made some really good points. It's going to take me a while to read through all of this. And now I have many more parenting tools at my disposal. So really, thank you!

I would like to address a couple points: SonofaBeach14 - You make and excellent point. I do sit down with all my kids to work on homework most nights. Unfortunately, my son isn't always forthcoming with the assignments, so there is a hurdle there. I'm not sure how to overcome it, but I'll give it some thought.

To all of the suggestions that I take things away, I agree whole-heartedly with this approach. It worked wonders on my daughter who is now in high school. I have already been doing this with my son though, and it's not working. I mentioned in my OP that I have run out of things to take, so that's why I'm trying a new approach. Kids are different and react to different things. I just have to figure out what his is.

Someone suggested tracking his work online--which I do, but should do more.

There is the argument of whether or not I'm a "helicopter parent". I've never considered myself to be hovering and tried to maintain separation to let the teachers do their jobs (education) and me do mine (life skills and discipline). I am a huge believer in letting kids suffer the natural consequences of their actions. I try to mitigate some of the more dramatic consequences though. I will consider the possibility that my son is one of those kids who may need to *really* fail.

I will consider positive reinforcement options, as well.

Anyway, I have lots to think about now. And since I have 3 more kids who will probably go through this same thing, I'll be bookmarking this for future use! :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

The all-knowing, all-powerful Max

(pay no attention the man behind the curtain)

I agree, helicopter parents make life difficult for their children. Let him fail. What happens to you when you don't do something you are supposed to do.....there is a consequence. Let him learn about consequences. There is no better teacher than failure.

Exactly. Unless you want to follow him around his whole life "making" him be responsible. If he fails a grade, he repeats. Unfortunately that is where a parent freaks out and starts trying to fix everything instead of letting the kid experience consequences. 7th grade is old enough to learn to take responsibility for their own choices and actions.

Well I guess somebody has to flip burgers and clean toilets.

Yes. And it will be someone who has learned responsibility and showing up on time, and getting the job done. I see no need to insult someone who flips burgers or cleans toilets.

I'm not exactly sure how indicating that someone who fails the 7th grade is likely to be flipping burgers and cleaning toilets for a living is an insult, but if you see something derogatory in that declaration, then perhaps you should encourage your kids to take their education seriously.

I think that the insult comes from assuming that the kid will be skilled enough to flip burgers/clean toilets. Based on the level of responsibility being shown, the kid would lose that burger flipping job within the week. It's actually pretty hard to get a good janitorial job if you haven't graduated high school. Trust me, I've tried.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, but you know... my first point was that parents should always encourage, motivate, and do what ever they can to keep kids putting their best effort into their education. It is just so crucially important for parents to do that for their kids. You can't just look away and let things fall where they may.

I'm definitely not saying that there is anything wrong with people doing those kind of jobs. I've done those kind of jobs because I didn't give a damn about my education until I was 28. It's a hard life. If you loved your kids, you would do anything and everything within your power to keep them from traveling down that road.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    This has to be one of the most mature and level-headed responses from an OP i have ever seen. Someone do a clapping gif!

(And if your kids are anything like you they should turn out great)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a farm...I didn't usually get things taken away because I was often too busy with chores to really use things anyway...HOWEVER...I never wanted to get myself in trouble because I had the "Respect Pile"

The Respect Pile just so happened to be the cow stanchion where they get fed, and needless to say things pile up quickly. My dad usually cleaned it out every other week or so with the tractor. If I did something, I was assigned a certain number of hours and handed a shovel, a wheelbarrow, and some muck boots the amount of time depending on the level of disrespect I showed. This was assigned on top of all of my regular chores. In addition however, I also had a reward system. If I did something well, got a good test score, did my chores without having to be reminded, instead of an immediate monetary award I earned RAOK chips (random acts of kindness). I could eventually earn enough to turn in for things that I wanted...a digital camera, clothes, etc...or I could turn them in for lessening respect pile time, or having the night off from chores. While the Respect Pile is daunting...I truly think the reward system is what helped keep me from getting in trouble. I wanted to please my parents and I wanted to earn those things...

I understand you might not have a cow stantion to use, but there are many things that are unpleasant to do around the house...or find something like a Horse Riding Charity/Therapy or a vet's office and have him go there to help for whatever hours he merits..they can always use "volunteers" to help muck out stalls/clean kennels, and that has the bonus of being something he could eventually put on his resume/college application as a "volunteer" activity.
    Oh, wow. I LOVE this idea! Especially the part where it's a "volunteer" activity for later. I'm going to have to make some calls.
  • _Fenrir_
    _Fenrir_ Posts: 471
    Options
    My 12 year old son has decided that, now that he's in 7th grade, he knows everything and no longer needs to do his homework.

Ok, not really. He's just doing that stupid pre-teen, hormone-driven thing where half the time they don't do their homework and the other half of the time they do it, but forget to turn it in.

I have taken away everything I can think of. The kid has no life anymore. I am out of things to take away unless I'm going to start denying him necessities such as food and shelter--which I haven't ruled out entirely if this continues. :wink: This kid just won't budge. So, I have decided that the next thing to try will be to show him what a lack of basic education will get him in life by forcing him to perform manual labor around the house for free. I am thinking I will assign 1 task per missed homework assignment on top of making up that homework assignment. In addition, 1 task will be assigned per class which has a grade of C or below.

This is where you all come in. I need ideas. What sorts of chores can a 12 year old boy do that will make him prefer to do his homework over performing that task? Here's my list so far:

1. Clean the dog kennel.
    2. Clean the bathrooms.
    3. Fold laundry (everyone's; not just his own).
    4. Do the dishes.

Aaaaaaaaaaand.....GO!

when he's out, completely clear his room, leave in there, his bed, a desk and a pile of books, ban his cell and any other forms of entertainment.

good or bad, dont budge for a week.

it shocked me into behaving as a kid.

Dont take offence, but your list is quite laughable, you need to shock him, crack midway, and he's won permanently.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    Literally made me snort!