Punishment for my son. I need ideas!

Options

Replies

• fitdad0987
    Options
    Wear really hideous clothing and strange hats when you pick him up. Call him by his pet name like "boopie" or "snuggles" when he has his friends over. Listen to Air Supply or REO Speedwagon or other 70's or 80's music, while he is riding in your car.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I teach 7th grade. My advice would be to, as much as possible, focus on the positive. If he does one assignment, give him 15 minutes of screen time. If he does two, give him 20 minutes. Baby steps...
    Why aren't all you nice teacher people in this thread teaching at his school?!

My son's math teacher just laughed when I suggested that he might be bored and in need of more challenging work, and said she would never consider moving him forward with his homework issue. If anything, she would move him BACK. I told her that was a great idea--so he could not turn his homework in for that class too AND not learn anything AND fail AND have to do it again.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also, speaking from personal experience AND professional training. GT students ARE NOT motivated by grades, period. They don't care if they get an A and if they think what they are learning holds no value, they're not going to do it. There is a BIG difference between a high achiever student and a GT student. Most teachers don't know how to work with (or even recognize) a true GT student.

That's why I suggested connecting the consequence/reward system to career goals that your kid might be interested in. At a certain maturity level a GT kid should be able to understand that while what they're doing right now might NOT actually be that important to their future, their GPA absolutely WILL be important towards being able to get in to the schools/classes/careers that ARE interesting to them.

One semester in an on level english class in 9th grade was MORE than enough to convince me that I needed to be in honors for the rest of my highschool career. I was DESPERATE to get out.
    It's funny you should say this. I had lunch with my dad today, and he said this same thing. Maybe he's bored and the grades aren't enough to motivate him. It's just so unlike him to half-*kitten* anything. Maybe he does just feel stuck and bored.

I think I need to go call the school and get a face to face meeting with the principal.

Also keep in mind the social pressure of the age group. If he's getting the highest grades in the class on the tests, he may be tanking intentionally on the homework or RC grade to shift away what he sees as negative attention. Right now, being seen as normal is probably MUCH more important to him than being seen as smart. For most GT kids, social interactions are stressfull in the extreme, they already have a hard time communicating in their peer group so it is VERY common to see them underachieve as a strategy to try to fit in.

If this sounds at all like what you think your son is doing, I would definitely recommend meeting with a principal or couselor. If he's still not getting enough challenge from advanced math classes, and he hasn't had a GT placement test done yet, he needs one, so that you can find out exactly what you're dealing with. It may be a mild social underachievement issue, or it may be a severe underchallenged issue. The one you may just have to survive, for the other you may want to consider having him take some of his coursework at a higher grade level to increase the rigor.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I teach 7th grade. My advice would be to, as much as possible, focus on the positive. If he does one assignment, give him 15 minutes of screen time. If he does two, give him 20 minutes. Baby steps...

My son's math teacher just laughed when I suggested that he might be bored and in need of more challenging work, and said she would never consider moving him forward with his homework issue. If anything, she would move him BACK. I told her that was a great idea--so he could not turn his homework in for that class too AND not learn anything AND fail AND have to do it again.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!

If a kid's bored, moving them forward can sometimes help the issue. I would NEVER suggest moving a kid back due to lack of homework completion. As far as moving him ahead, I'd have some reservations. How can I tell what a kid knows if they don't do anything? It's a tricky situation.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!

That teacher is an idiot. End of story. If she can't tell the difference between a motiviational issue and an intellegence issue.... I can't even continue, you have NO IDEA how mad this makes me. :explode:
  • holdthemustard
    Options
    I have a 13 year old who won't do homework or chores around the house without my throwing a hisses fit and crying. I have found that at this age he values his privacy very much. The best I can do is threaten him with the removal of his bedroom door. Try that for a week and see if that helps.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!

I'm not teaching because it's 5 P.M. here in NE Wisconsin. If a kid's bored, moving them forward can sometimes help the issue. I would NEVER suggest moving a kid back due to lack of homework completion. As far as moving him ahead, I'd have some reservations. How can I tell what a kid knows if they don't do anything? It's a tricky situation.
    I can certainly understand reservations about moving him forward. I asked her if she would consider giving him some more challenging homework--maybe from the 8th grade class--to see how he responded. She laughed.

I'm glad you're not teaching at 5pm. That would suck. :laugh:

ETA: I just noticed that maybe you thought I was criticizing you for playing the forums instead of teaching. That's not what I was saying. I was saying I wish you all taught at my son's school. :flowerforyou:
  • Beautifulreflections
    Options
    I have a teenage daughter that sort of went through this. Never to this extreme though. She never "tried". She did fine on tests and stuff but barely did homework and did the bare minimum when it came to projects. She didn't fail but it did earn her D's and C's.

Same timing though. Some kids just think they know it all for a little while. And then they don't, and then they do again. I hear somewhere in the mid 20's we can expect our kids to start appreciating everything we do.

That being said I didn't hover. I mentioned occasionally and punishments were doled out based on report cards. Each C was a week of cleaning, each D two weeks and each F would have been a month but luckily it never went there.

After the third round of punishments she made some snarky teenage comment about how having to clean clearly wasn't changing anything and I explained to her that one of two things was going to happen:

A) She would eventually get tired of picking up after all of us and get her act together
    or
    B) I was preparing her for life because if she wasn't going to try to succeed she had better get used to having to clean up after people.

Then I tipped over the salt shaker and let it spill on the table, smiled and walked out. We still laugh about that. :laugh:

Every kid is different and unfortunately its going to be a lot of trial and error of anything and (almost) everything your MFP pals are suggesting.

Good luck!
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    While I will disclaim that I'm not a parent, I've worked 4 years with kids and an agency that teaches parenting classes...

One aspect they encourage is discipline rather than punishment, and mutual respect. He's old enough to have discussion about responsibilities and can be involved in negotiating what appropriate consequences for not fulfilling his responsibilities. Also see if he has something to say about why he is rebelling against them. Being involved and respected may create greater receptivity and follow-through that you're seeking, without getting into a power struggle.

The book used for the classes is
    http://www.amazon.com/Parents-Handbook-Systematic-Effective-Parenting/dp/0979554209/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390605017&sr=1-2&keywords=STEP+parenting

They have a teen version as well...same principles applied to the different age group.

Best of luck!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, so apologies if this is redundant.
    You are describing me, from about the seventh grade through high school. There was nothing my mother could say or do that worked. But then, she never sat down and talked to me about it, nor asked me what or what it would take. Have you considered giving him some control of the situation? There is a couple of excellent books out that I think my help. I think it might have helped in my situation.
    How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk. (Read this one first)
    How to talk so teens will listen and listen so teens will talk.
    What have you got to lose?
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have an eleven year old son and I think you're doing a great job also. This year may just be a bad year and he may turn it around next year. I almost failed 8th grade because I was goofing off a lot and just not into school that year. The following year I was back to good grades.

Since your son does so well on tests, maybe you and your son can work something out with his teachers about the homework.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Get him to clean the toilet and then tell him thats his job for life if he is lucky if he doesn't get a good education!!!!!!
  • bethyv1030
    bethyv1030 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My cousin's dad once went to school with him all day and sat in the back of the classroom and encouraged him to participate in class. I think it embarrassed him into making a change lol

Not that you should do that!

Kids that age can be punks. They think they know everything. I remember being like that no time ago. Maybe its just a phase and he will outgrow it. I know I did. Just keep being stern with him and pushing him in the right direction. He will thank you for it later!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I teach high school. I can tell you with certainty that kids do not have the capacity at this age (7th grade to about 10th grade) to see how not doing their math homework is going to affect their career choice when they are 25. I teach seniors that think once they are accepted to college they can fail the rest of the year as they are already accepted into college. These kids are 18 years old. Some have lost scholarships etc but they just don't believe those that know better when they don't want to. Not all kids/ teens/ students etc are clueless, but it is not uncommon.

I say back off the kid but set a consequence at report card time. Make sure the consequence is reasonable. Do not ask a kid who has never gotten straight A's to get all A's "or else" but set a consequence like that makes sense for that kid. For instance, all grades must be higher than a C and at least as good as reported at the last progress report at year's end or there will be a weekly book report due during the summer to earn the right to play XBox..etc.

Offer whatever assistance he might require to earn high marks, like a tutor if he feels he needs one, an appropriate newly appropriated study area, new highlighters ,etc. Set him up for success and see what he does with it but have some medium term goals/consequences (further than a few weeks away but less than ...he won't get into a good college...ie end of the term) in place so he does not get to high school behind and frustrated.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Tell him you're concerned about him not getting the proper grades he deserves cuz he can't get his homework turned in or if he is having problems understanding something why he isn't getting it turned in and tell him you are gonna set up for him to work with a tutor after school to make sure he gets it and gets his homework done or else you are gonna hire a tutor to come to your house and make sure he's understanding things and getting things done if he can't start getting his work turned in. And tell him if he turns in all his assignments by the end of the semester,quarter whatever then you will buy him a gift card for whatever store he really likes as a reward. I am blessed I guess I haven't had that problem with any of my kids. I do that though anyways if my son does really well on his report card usually get him a gift card for the book store or something cuz he really likes going there.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Have him pick up trash along a two mile length of road.

Then let him know since this is what he is aspiring to, he may as well get used to it now.

From that point on, give him the opportunity to do 2 hours of picking up trash or 2 hours of homework.

As a secondary affect, you get a four mile walk for exercise.

Did this for my son twice when he was 12, it solved the problem.

Just one old man's opinion..............
    I like you. You're smart.

Nice set of exercises for chastising a wayward son.
    Awesome OP that you are motivated toward your son.
    When I think of punishment, I think of something that the governing authorities would do TO your son.
    When I think of CHASTISEMENT, I think of something that you, a parent, would to FOR your son.
  • enchromaticc
    enchromaticc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As a teenager myself, this recently happened to me. I've never really gotten low grades (always approximately 3.5 on the 4.0 scale in advanced classes). However, I didn't study and didn't do homework. I basically believed I could BS everything. Maybe that's where your son is. It's possible he's really smart and just thinks he doesn't NEED to do his homework. Well, lemme tell you, he does. Homework is every important, no matter the year.

What my parents did was they started taking away my phone EVERY single night. It didn't matter if it was the weekend, at 9-10, my mom would come in and take it away. Also, they made me do my homework on the dining table. This was very sucessful because I was forced to do it in front of them. Now, they didn't stare at me or anything like that, they basically just went about their stuff, just downstairs. Our dining opens up into the kitchen, so my mom always had a view of what I was doing. I couldn't go on Youtube or anything like that because my mom was there...and I didn't have earphones. If I had to listen to something, it was on speakers. So I either watched educational videos, or nothing at all.

It worked. In fact I think I'll go back to doing that. They started giving me the OPTION, since I'm older now. I've been slacking off recently...
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A few more things to clarify:

1. My kids all do regular chores. They do not get paid for these chores because that's part of being a family. We work together to take care of things around the house. The chores I listed are the things that I will normally pay a small allowance for. These are "extras", so that they have an opportunity to make some money and learn to manage it. But only after regular chores are done. I have 5 children at home. No free rides! I regularly get compliments on how clean my house is though. :wink:

2. Several people asked if he may be struggling with the material. I should have included in my OP that, while my son is failing several classes, it is ONLY because of the missing homework. For instance, in Advanced Math, he has a 98% average for tests, quizzes and classwork, but a 45% in homework. So, he's failing. It is the same story with the other classes. He understands. This is strictly a homework driven.

3. I can't try the "take away privacy" thing. He shares a room with his 8 year old step brother. He pretty much has no privacy anyway. Never has. :laugh:

ETA: I can't spell.

I have a 12 year old son...this sounds so much like him. He is in 7th grade but he's taking high school courses....he's at a high school. If he doesn't keep up, he'll have to go back to his old school, otherwise next year, he'll be in 9th grade. He loves it, so I know he would be disappointed if he had to go back to his old school next year. Fortunately he has a 26 year old brother who's constantly on him concerning his grades and why it's important to keep his grades up... (besides his Dad and I). We can all check his status online daily, so if he has any missing homework, we know right away. After struggling with him this last semester, I've decided to take this approach. I check his grades/missing homework before I pick him up from school. If nothing is missing, his computer is on his desk...if not...it's gone. There is no conversation about it. As far as his bedtime, he has to have his homework done by a certain time and if it's done he can stay up another hour. He's constantly telling me that he's older now and I need to give him more freedom. I found that the more I told him to do anything, the less he did.:noway: So, I've decided to take the other approach and back off. It actually has been working. In fact he has been getting ready early in the morning and we've been to school early since coming back from winter break. Last semester, he was late often and our mornings were stressful. So far, mornings have been peaceful! :happy:
  • RW_2
    RW_2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At that age, I found taking things more effective. X-box, phone, laptop, whatever.

I agree 100%! When my son started this crap I only allowed him to play XBOX in the morning before school and on weekends. It got his *kitten* out of bed nice and early, woke his mind up and stopped him from rushing through his homework in order to be able to play his XBOX. After about six months he earned his after school XBOX time again but only for 60 min. He knows he will lose it agian if he starts that crap again.

So, take away electronics, XBOX, Phone, iPOD, whatever...it works like a charm!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Sit at the table with him, giving him nothing to do other than his homework, until it's done - after which, you can reward him with free time.