WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    LIzPlus on Halifax - I'm not a health professional by any means, but in your dizzy spells concerning, especially since you are getting a LOT of them. Please check in with your doctor. I remember my Mom doing a splat at the grocery store in the checkout lane - she went down on the back of her head like a ton of bricks. Fortunately, she wasn't injured. In her case he sugar was dangerously low. My dad also got dizzy spells because of blood pressure drops when he stood up. Just don't want you to get hurt :noway:

Jill in western MA
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Can I get some friends in this age group? I'm new, although I've been part of this site before and maybe part of this group before. It's been a long time.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: We had a cat who developed horrible symptoms that turned out to be caused by too much potash in the dry cat food. We changed brands and the symptoms went away. I now look at the pet food as a source of trouble first thing. For me, TV and books fall into the category that if they’re good the first time, they’re good again and again. I also get more out of things with repeated viewings & readings.:flowerforyou:

Meg: It sounds like you need to spend a little more time focusing on Number 1. You have a busy life and many responsibilities. I can see how staying in balance can be a challenge. We have a diesel VW Passat and will keep it as long as possible. It is reliable and gets great mileage. In winter weather I prefer my AWD GMC.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m so glad to hear that your knee is improving.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I’m sorry you’re feeling blue. Sending virtual flowers and hugs your way.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Tina in cold FL: I’ve never heard of dosepack but I’m glad it enabled you to rest. Good luck with your DH’s planned career change. I’ve never owned my own business, but believe it is a stress filled career path. Some thrive with the chance to do things their own way, while others don’t ever get down-time and burn out. Will he close his company or is this an add-on?:huh: :flowerforyou:

Alison: Things are looking up for your brother. I hope he will have a support system to help him stay off drugs and alcohol. AA comes to mind. They do wonderful work.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: We had that weather pattern in early December. Dress in layers and stay snug inside. Speaking from personal experience, watch out for black ice if you go out.:flowerforyou:

Gail in ATL: There is a man in our town that we call the smoking jogger. I’ve never seen him without a cigarette in his mouth. :noway: A year or so ago he started using an e-cig. At least he isn’t trailing a stream of smoke everywhere he goes anymore. He is likely in his 30s, but could be younger, I guess. My mom used to say that it takes all kinds. This man is one of a kind in my experience.:flowerforyou:

Gmom: Have a good day at home with your son.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on choosing a clever husband. :bigsmile: I hope you’ll both enjoy the new car.:flowerforyou:

Kenazwa: Welcome. :flowerforyou:

We have a foggy morning and the sounds of big ship foghorns. This kind of day makes me glad to be inside feeling cozy. I hope we don’t end up with an air inversion and nasty air quality. Portland gets air pollution advisories in foggy weather on a regular basis, but the river running by here usually keeps our air in a healthier condition. The same river runs through Portland, but there are so many more people there driving cars, creating smoke, and so on that the river can’t always keep stinky fog cleared out without a nice, windy weather system to help.

Katla in foggy NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hello everyone, very cold windy snowy day here but its winter in 4ne north...
    Want to welcome all who are new you will enjoy these ladies, very busy, creative and knowledgeable group
    Congrats to all who are loosing lbs I have thankfully stayed the same since taking all the medicine for my dreaded cough and crud now to get down to bussiness again
    Thinking of all going through health issues, take care
    Joyce could your face cream be your problem my niece used the same product for yrs then tried their new brand and ended up in emergency with severe allergy
    Wishing everyone safe and healthy weekend
    Juanita in sudbury
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!from freezing,blowing winds in IL.burrrr
    Had the guy come over to check washer.Daughter overloads it,therefor breaking.
    Amanda,sending hugs.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Any new people welcome.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:
    Any one sick,feel better.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
    jane
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in--still trying to catch up from Wednesday. Thanks to all of you who expressed concern for my daughter. She is feeling better now after a trip to her regular doctor yesterday for stronger meds. Now, if I could just sleep for about 14 hours, I think I might feel somewhat normal again. :laugh:

The scales finally proved themselves worthy again today; a 1 lb loss! Yippee!!! I knew it was going to happen on Wednesday because my clothes and Fitbit were "suddenly" looser, but I haven't had the opportunity to weigh properly until today. I skipped the 30-day Shred last night. I had a haircut appointment after work and I just couldn't face Ms. Michaels on an empty stomach at 8: 30 p.m.--nor a full one at 9 p.m.! :bigsmile: I refuse to feel guilty about it and will pick it back up tonight.

Because of the time of year and missing hours on Wednesday, I have to work this afternoon. I HATE giving up my Friday afternoon off! :angry: However, giving up the afternoon is worth keeping the job, right?

This is just a quick check in so prayers and hugs to those who need them! Kudos to those who have had victories!

Carol in VERY cold NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Alison, has your brother made any decision about how he is going to avoid the perils of alcohol when he is discharged? My nephew who is an alcoholic started into AA after he was discharged from an inpatient alcoholic rehab. I think this was in 1998 and he is still sober. He goes to AA meeting several times a week. Another nephew that was in an inpatient rehab ( court appointed to avoid prison time) is in several NA meetings a day. He is still a very new recovered addict and is trying very hard.

Juanita, yes, I am wondering if it the rejuvenating cream. I will let my face rest a couple of days and then try the cream again.

Well I am back to my old bad habits. I just didn't go to the Y today for my Silver Sneakers class. No reason, just didn't go. I still haven't gone on the Wednesday for the Silver Sneakers chair yoga. This is how I stopped the aquatic program several years ago. I am still doing some weights and resistance band, haven't tried the step video in a while. Do ride the bike every day but it's been awhile since I was able to get 10 miles in. I haven't lost weight in about 4 weeks. I need to step it up.

I did my experiment on my glucose meters this morning. Got my old one out and put a little drop of blood on both of them. My old one showed 99 and my new one 119. So that made me feel better that my blood sugar is still running the same, but on the other hand I really don't know if it's below or above 100. So when I go into the lab to have my blood work drawn I really, really need to remember to take my new meter with me. Now if I can just follow through with my good intentions.

Joyce, Indiana
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Cold. just. cold. Long phone conversation with DD this am as she was wandering Walmart; telling her where to look for certain items, etc.

Found a SUPER meditation site on youtube...........typed in "guided meditation" It has a waves on the beach background and is by "thehonestguys" I believe just called simply............."deep, blissful meditation"----love, love the voice!!!

Joyce..........love your sleeping in an RV story!!!!...........my dh runs to the dr. for everything, unlike yours.........unfortunately he thinks that taking the pills for high bp, cholesterol, and diabetes means he can eat HUGE amounts of food, any and all food other than healthy...........and no, he's not heavy. But it doesn't occur to him that cutting down on food and eating properly might mean a reduction of meds............I have given up, frankly.

Amanda.............We all have those days and know they aren't easy.........best to you and ((hugs)). Sometimes it's a struggle to keep putting one foot ahead of the other.

Liz.............I'm with you----inside till July LOL!! Do you have a bp machine?; if you do, it might be a good idea to check it out and please let your dr. know about all this.

Heather.........I put your show on.........and thoroughly enjoyed that island/English lilt to her voice; overcame terrific odds.........there I was doing my very poor calypso attempt and hearing "hot, hot, hot" while looking out at snow and ice!!!! Liked "Many Rivers To Cross" the best, I think. Thanks........I needed that!! Congrats on your new car.

Must go now.
    Hello to all.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to all you wonderful ladies,

Welcome newcomers.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Only had time for a quick browse today.

Getting my water Deedee:drinker:

Heather like your suggestions always good to relax.

Meg watched parts of the Millers. Liked what I saw. It is on at the same time as Tim Gunn.

We are in the process of getting a new furnace. We have a fifty year old boiler. It is time to put it out of its misery. Especially after this winter. Went to help my friend again this morning. I adore her Kindergarten class. So much fun to help and not be in charge. From the book I am reading What Are You Hungry For. "Losing weight is a marathon not a sprint." Since I started eating more slowly I try to take at least 10 chews a bite and adding more fiber slowly. I am two pounds down on my goal weight instead of being two pounds up where I sat for six months.

Good day to all stay warm.

Goals
    Limit TV/computer
    communication/contentment

Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • colograndma
    Options
    Good Morning dear friends,

Jumping in for a bit on my break. I had forgotten how busy our board was..... LOL :tongue:

Bless you all for your welcome home... I have to admit I so missed the sharing and encouraging on here and I had gotten myself so wrapped up in the stress of just living, I had forgotten how special that can be in one's day.

Thanks for your concerns for DH Jim. We are taking baby steps and I am so very proud of him. It will take a bit to get back on a good path, but he is headed there. Cooking low salt, using "No Salt " instead of lots of Salt.... eventually he will start managing portions I am sure. Right now food is tasting really good with giving up cigs. LOL :bigsmile:

Katla - your were asking about RV's ... eventually when I retire (CAN'T WAIT)... we will want to travel to Rock and Gem shows to sell our jewelry, we are actually stockpiling stock now for it. But our goal is to have an RV when we do this. But, we do not a hugh thing that will take alot of gas to travel around with so we have found a brand called Trail Manor that actually "unfolds", but is better than a pop up. When you are traveling it is very light to tow.

Amanda - Big hugs, I know what you mean. Have been working on the ups and downs too..... but bound and determined to be up now . PTL. Will be praying for you too!

Kenazwa - welcome, you will have a bunch of friends here. Hop on board!

Must get back to work. Hugs :heart:
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I feel a little like I'm trying to jump on a moving train. By the time it takes me to get caught up on reading the posts I run out of time to comment so I think I will do it a little later, Then I'm right back to being behind 2 or 3 pages. :laugh:

So, for now, I will just send a quick 'hello' to all of the new ladies, congratulations to those that are having successes and prayers for those that are struggling, caring for friends and families, and grieving.

The past week I've been trying to care for a group of 4 cats that were left behind when the owner decided to move to South Carolina and leave them behind sitting on her porch. With the snow and freezing temperatures, my DH and I have tried to provide plenty of food and blankets as they live under her shed in the yard. I finally found someone willing to take them so the process of trying to trap them and have them spayed/neutered begins tomorrow. They were always outside cats so not really used to being handled and I'm afraid once one gets into a trap the others may scatter. The house is up for sale so time is of the essence.

One NSV I have is I am now able to hold my plank for 1 minute. When I started I couldn't do it for 15 seconds. Gradually increased in 15 second increments. Don't know how some of you are able to do it for 3 + minutes!! :noway:

I will write more later and hopefully be able to 'speak' to you individually but for now it's time to leave the office, hit the road and head for home.

Tina from MD
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,884 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!! Well at least it has slowed down here some today. Taking it easy here at work. Have a big project due Monday for school so will be working on that this weekend. My DS contacted me and is scared because he had to go to court for child support changes and he had to admit he did not have car insurance. So, being the Mom I am, I arranged for the minimum liability insurance for his car and made the down payment for him. The monthly bills will go to him, so I hope he finds a way to budget for it and this doesn't turn into a problem for me! I can't afford another 200 monthly bill!

I have been going to Curves as some of you might remember. Since last Thursday, they have added Jillian Micheals workouts for in between the circuit machines. Boy am I sore, but what a good workout! I am sweating like a pig by the time I finish. Feels good though.

Well, I am at work and must pretend to be working so better sign off for now.

Rita from freezing cold CT.

My SMART goals for January: 
    I will lose 5 pounds by January 31 through consistently going to Curves at least 4 times a week and increasing my daily steps to average 8,000 steps a week. My ultimate goal is to weigh 145 or less pounds and be healthy by this time next year. 

Amendment to goal: if I cannot make it to the gym 4 times in a week, I will exercise to my walking video for at least 30 minutes. 

SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed. 

Week 1 steps average: 6315, Curves 3 times (closed do to snow and holiday). Did my video once to make up for it. 
    Week 2 steps average: 7800, Curves 5 times! Too much salt, candy, and junk food this week!
    Week 3 steps average: 5793, Curves 5 Times! Not walking enough, not watching my diet enough. Not going to make the 5 pound loss either.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Just a quick post to find my place. No internet yesterday so couldn't do anything, read or post. Besides I spent most of yesterday in hemotologist's office. Ended up doing a bone marrow biopsy. Doctor called this morning, no cancer but sarcoidosis has moved into the bone marrow and there is some scarring. No idea how this affects things but his report will go to the pulmonologist who is presently managing the sardoidosis. Crazy, crazy! Everyone take care, Sue in SD
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie, I found out that my friend's daughter goes to St George's university School of Veternary Medicine in Granada. I bet it's nice and warm down there. Wouldn't that be nice.

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    Joyce- I dont know what Sean's plans are. right now there is no booze in the house,and he says he doesnt feel like drinking.he and a good friend of his I think might be going to do AA together.My mom was sober almost 19 yrs before she passed away, Jean also is quitting, she would drink on the nights and weekends she didnt work,but she wants to do what is best for Sean and herself so both with no alcohol. will have to see what they say about the E-Cig's, maybe that would be the way to go?
    I am sure they will give Sean a outpatient refferal and instructions for the pancreatitis.
    He remember's coming to the hospital with horrible horrible pain, so I hope that he remembers that pain if he decides to pick up a drink, because it could kill him.
    very tired and I have to work in the morning so off I go
  • ozgirl1981
    ozgirl1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to all this. I'm here in New Zealand, although I am Australian. I started my journey on 13th January. I lost 20kg through going to CURVES until August last year when I had to make the decision to have my teeth removed and have dentures. I am currently struggling with my new bottom dentures (I previously had top denture and my own teeth on bottom). Just starting to learn to eat but for life of me cannot stop them from flopping around...the polident adhesive I am using stops working as soon as I start eating!! :blushing: I miss having all the crunchy healthy foods I was having. I eat breakfast and dinner without my bottom denture in and have a smoothie for lunch when I am wearing it. I want to go out for dinner with friends but am too worried my dentures will fly across the table.:blushing: I had put on 10kg from eating pasta, icecream, and other high fat soft foods....lollies were my downfall in the end. Haven't had a lolly for over a week now and haven't eaten chocolate for nearly 2 years! Does anyone have any suggestions regarding my dentures. Thank you in advance!! :smile:
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in. I get sent home from work because I was sick :ohwell: I had a nap and will be early to bed. Went over my calories today from drinking so much orange juice but only by 48 so I'm not worried about it.

No workout yesterday or today but I am hoping to make it to aquafit tomorrow morning. I guess I'll see how I feel in the morning.

G'nite all

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I made a decision to limit sodium a few years ago. I set my food diary for 1600 mg of sodium and when I go over that amount, I notice the water retention and my weight goes up for a few days. Besides not adding salt to anything I cook, I stay away almost all the time from processed foods, cheese, and bread, and avoid eating in restaurants as much as possible. I season with Mrs. Dash at home.

:flowerforyou: Katla, we had three RVs over five years……a 34 foot trailer with no slide-outs, a 32 foot 5th wheel with two slide-outs, and a 30 foot motor home with one slide-out. We traveled with one or two dogs and one or two cats so we needed space. We loved every minute of our RV life. We took many weekend trips and some longer trips including one for 99 days.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Today was the day that I got to teach the whole line dance class and it was so much fun that I was sad when it was over. I taught a new dance and the rest of the dances were ones that we’ve done recently. There were several new students so I slowed down the teaching to accommodate them.

:bigsmile: When I got home from dance I found that Jake had spent the whole morning grooming Brandy. I took her for a walk while he started grooming Sasha. The weather was so nice and the driveway was full of sunshine so I hooked up the hose and washed the car.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington home of the awesome Seahawks

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ..23,000 steps today ----
    “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sylvia..............Thanks!!! That looked like one of the better ones. Won't hurt to get some ideas on these.

G'nite all,
    yanniejannie
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I’m reading “Thinner This Year” right now (I know that many of you read it last year, but I’m slow), and finding it very interesting as it explains the actual workings of the body and why we need to eat and exercise in a certain way. Knowing why I should do something makes me a bit more likely to actually consider doing it! Anyway, last night I was reading about doing small intervals, so I tried a variation on the treadmill this morning. I did a 6% incline for 2 minutes, then a 2% incline for 3 minutes and alternated them for half an hour. The treadmill said that I burned about 40 calories more than usual, so I may try this again and increase the intensity once I’m used to it.

I ordered a new pair of tennis shoes today, so I hope they get here quickly. My heel has been bleeding when I walk for two days in a row, so I finally looked at my shoe and found that the padding had worn off of a large piece of metal that goes up the inside of the heel. Who knew? I’m getting Adidas running shoes this time around, in bright pink and yellow. My daughter assured me that exercise shoes should be obnoxiously bright to put you in the right frame of mind.

Connie – Your husband sounds like a sweet man, to come and find your earring for you!

Katia – I think you could just ignore my DH (that’s what I’m doing right now, as he made me mad today). Actually, he has a lot of good points most of the time and is a pretty decent guy overall. He really should have gotten me the Porsche, though! I’ve never tried RVing, but have also thought of renting one to check it out. Let us know how you like it.

Amanda – So sorry that you’re feeling down today, and sending fervent wishes for a better tomorrow!

Joyce – That was a very interesting story about the RV – thanks for sharing it!

DeeDee – Sorry about the cold. Do you think that shivering uses up extra calories??

Heather – I hope that you enjoy hubby’s new car!

Tina – A one minute plank is great!

Barbie – Which RV did you like the best? Was one easier to drive than another?

Jane in Colorado