WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    I found out why Marie was blocked. Turns out you cannot mention the same book on different forums because it is considered advertizing the book. I know I have talked about books, so I will keep this in mind.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Chilly here...........ice on windshield this am. Made it to ladies exercise; held 4lb. weights for most of session.

Sylvia............Hope you regain your "balance" again; you've handled a lot in your life lately on all fronts........((hugs)).

Viv.........Eastenders is on PBS here..........alas, I have never watched it, though; is it good? I do love most of the English shows.......genetics and heritage , I suppose!

Barbie..........Thanks for the info on Mrs. Dash........I'll get some for myself.

Cynthia............YAY that the "water pound" came and went so fast!

Amanda.............One of my friends has a daughter who had her gb taken out in a surgi-clinic that happens to be in a shopping center back home (Pa.)..........she was fine, but her mom and I were both rather upset about the idea.........I think she walked in, they did it, kept her a couple hrs. and that was that...........a little too casual for my taste.......but, she is fine. Of course she is a lot younger than any of us.

Dee Dee............nope, missed that moon........was supposed to be out at a meeting last night, but played hooky........would have seen it if I'd done what I was supposed to.

Kathy in N.J..............You'll find a lot of company in the Downton Abbey crowd here
    LOVE it!!!

Gotta run DD will be home from lifeguarding in a min. and we are heading out..........shopping, of course!!!

See everyone later!
    Overcast and chilly here
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • margaretturk
    Options
    I did respond to her that I find it interesting that when you read the snarky comments some members say on the other forums and the pop up advertizing that supports this site something doesn't seem right about mentioning a good read more than once. Then again rules do not always make sense. :laugh:

I am grateful I found this forum that is so supportive and kind. Thank you.:flowerforyou:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday to all you beautiful ladies:flowerforyou: . It has started out as alot better day then I expected. Last evening when I got home from work I noticed one of my rings were missing. They have gotten big and I have spaced getting them sized as want to waite until I have reached goal. Anyway I looked all over and called back to work to have them be on the look out. So I looked all over last night and this morning when I got here to work. Figured I had just lost it and it was my own fault. Anyway looking in my bag for something and found it in the bottom. Little things make me happy.:happy:

Kathy--:flowerforyou: Welcome and you have come to the right place for lots of support. Years ago I was on the medifast and lost over 100 pounds, but soon as they let me eat food again I gained it back plus some. I do believe the reason this time is working so much better as I have learned it is a life style change not a diet.

Barbie--DH got me the book the Happiness project so going to read that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Meg--been thinking of you and your dad and pray things are getting better.:heart:

Alison--Please take care of yourself:heart:

Sylvia--:flowerforyou: Hope your day gets better. I stopped taking my welbution this last week and do think I am sleeping better. I go in the last part of this month and have blood work done and see the doctor the first part of next month. Hoping for a good report. Glad DGS likes the cars. Sometime it's the little things that make them happy and the the fact you cared enough to do that.

Today is my long day as work until 3 then my night to voluteer in the gift shop till they close so will not get home until after 10pm I am off tomorrow so can sleep in and go to the chiropractor. Alot of things I want to get done while home tomorrow see how that works out. Have a good afternoon and keep drinking the water.
    Blessed, Vicki GI NE
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Popping in for some of that vitamin F that flows so richly in this group! I have been working on increasing 2 deficiencies - vitamin D and iron - which is so low (iron) my nails are brittle. They break at the slightest bump. I was looking at my long-term reports on MFP yesterday and I thought it would have been helpful if I had been tracking my diet much longer than I have. The bigger picture really is insightful. Now if I could just get rid of this head cold...life goes on. :smile:

@Barbie, I hope you enjoy your anniversary weekend to your heart's content; 25 years is awesome!
    @Viv in UK, sending you some sunshine :glasses: from Texas; too many days w/o it makes this Texan grumpy. :grumble:
    @Amanda, hope you get surgery date soon and helps to calm your concerns.
    @grandmallie, sure hope your brother's condition is improving.
    @Patty, just knowing they had a camera watching would make me nervous so go ahead and ace it!
    @Pat in Ohio, so true about dealing with family members who are ill especially the terminally ill; I've been there 3 times and each one is different with their own unique needs.And watching friends in their battles isn't any better especially when they lose. Yet life does go on...I learned that lesson all too well when my dad passed away in my 20's.
    @nccarolb, that sodium is a killer! on weight loss; I am amazed at the amount of sodium that is found is some of our foods. I hope you found yourself with less puffiness today.
    @kevrit, I like your "smart" goals and looks like you are keeping right on track which is hard to do in January; keep up the good work!:drinker:
    @Linda, that is a good motivation to lose weight; I hope you get to see that doctor soon for more advise and healthful tips.
    wow @Heather, sounds like a fun day on Saturday; enjoy the moments!
    @Colorado Jane, that is news to me too; I just "assumed" and you know what that means that there wasn't any salt in Lemon Pepper which I like on grilled chicken.
    Thanks @Margaret, I am working hard on feeling better besides tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment so maybe he'll give me drugs to cure.
    @meogge that is a milestone! anyone who can throw out chocolate :laugh:
    Welcome @Kathy from Cherry Hill, NJ
    @Vicki GI NE, don't get us started on those insurance companies! Why even the health assessments they now require are way too personal!
    @Sue in windy SD hope the wind is calmer today for you!
    @Indiana Joyce, yep those walk a mile workouts are truly a workout!
    @Katla in beautiful NW Oregon I'll second that! I am ready to send this cold packing.
    @jacquelynkay Welcome!
    @yanniejannie we could sure use some of that rain but quite frankly I am enjoying the sunshine. Looks like we will have another Texas drought this summer if we don't get more rain.
    @Rose in Lower, Slower, Delaware, 3 mile WAP; wow; that is awesome!

Well, I made it all the way over to page 11 which has today's posts from some. I have read through the posts and sounds like everyone is doing okay today and keeping active. I need to get moving before another day passes me by and I wonder where it went - happens all too frequently already. :laugh:

May the Lord look upon all of our lives and bless us with good health and plenty of vitamin F!

Plano Teral
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm laying low today, I think I am getting a sinus infection. I have a bad headache, sneezing constantly, just don't feel good. Still trying to eat right though, will keep up with the water but just not the exercise.

Hugs to all, Joyce, Indiana
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I haven’t been on this thread since the summer, but I have been logging even though I have been over my calories more than under lately.:embarassed: I am really struggling right now. The scale is only up about two pounds, but I don’t feel good physically or emotionally right now. I find myself making excuses for not exercising, and when I do force myself, it seems to take an extraordinary effort to finish. I think I am falling back into old patterns. I lose the weight and then feel like I can reward myself by going back to old eating habits and slacking off on the exercise.:devil: My brain knows that is not the case, especially as I age, but I can’t seem to get my body to cooperate. I am going on vacation next week for two weeks, and I don’t plan on logging or getting in much exercise, which is normally fine, but I want to make sure I can get back on track when I return, and I’m scared that I might just give up. Maybe the weather has something to do with my lack of will-power. It’s been pretty crappy with extreme changes in temperature and crazy storms. I plan to do some catching up on this thread. I’m hoping it will give me strength to continue. I looked at my goals the last time I was on here (August), and they are pretty much the same, except for running outdoors. I’ve had to move it indoors to the dreaded treadmill because of the weather and the fact that it is too dark in the mornings to safely run outdoors.

Previous and Current Goals:

Consistent logging (Pretty good except on vacations/Could be better)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (90%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (NOT YET-STILL LOOKING!!!)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Yep and loving it!/Nope and hating it!)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Working on it!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE. :grumble:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Feel better Joyce.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    hugs
    jane
  • vicabra
    vicabra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OK....here I go!! I am brand new to 'mfp' and I am seeing many folks going through the same thing I am!! I have just turned 51, and decided it's time for me to move forward and work on my lifestyle change! I have lost weight in the past through Nutri-System and was not able to keep it off (family loss, etc.). But that's no excuse! I look forward to reading all your posts and hope to participate when I am can!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I didn't get out of my pjs today either! Only cleaned my teeth after lunch! I accomplished all my tasks though and wrote a bit of my memoir.
    Spent some time reading the Fast Exercise book and found it very interesting. Puts paid to the excuse that people don't have time to exercise. It got me off the couch a bit more and running up stairs. I will be including more HIT in my workouts. I was pleased to check out the charts at the back of the book and find I am off the scale for my age!!!:blushing: Just wish my left knee would cooperate.:cry:
    Welcome back Lucy. 2 lbs doesn't sound too bad! Why not just go easy on holiday and do rough estimates in your head. Then you won't go mad. I always find I walk such a lot on holiday I don't put on as much as I think. You could do a bit of strength training and some HIT. (New convert!)

Love to all. Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Happy Anniversary to you and Jake! :heart: :heart: I like the idea of celebrating over several days. We took a trip to Seattle and Orcas Island for our 25th anniversary. It was the honeymoon we didn’t have when we got married. :flowerforyou:

Kathy in Cherry Hill NJ: I LOVE the Valerie Bertinelli quotation! Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:

Margaret: I know cheese is high in fat, and is often also high in sodium. In fact, I haven’t heard of low sodium cheese. We do eat it, but more sparingly than before we started our MFP adventure. I think you’re smart to gain knowledge in order to make better decisions.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Take it slow getting back to your workout routine. A little plateau never hurt anybody, :wink: and you need to ease back into exercise. Your hubby must like dealing with plumbing contractors and consider it a special treat. He is sacrificing his own chance so that you can have the fun. Isn’t that sweet of him?:laugh:

Vicki GI NE: I have also found that getting healthy requires a lifestyle change. That understanding has made a vast difference in how I approach life. I’m happier than I’ve ever been on many levels.:flowerforyou:

Teral: I hope we’re both feeling better soon. This cold is n fun.:sick:

Lucy in DE: I’m glad to see you back. Enjoy your vacation. I always log by using my phone app, and it works everywhere I’ve gone so far. I recommend it. Yes, I can have fun, but I also keep focused on making good choices and watching portions. Sometimes a person is in a situation where that is impossible, but you can keep lists anyway.:flowerforyou:

Jane: I love the way you encourage others. I’m glad you’re here.:flowerforyou:

Viabreu: Welcome! This is a great group. Where are you from? I lost weight using a specific diet before, although its wasn’t nutrisystem. When I reached my goal and went back to eating with the family I regained every pound. Old eating habits led directly to old results. To keep it off, a person has to learn and practice new eating habits forever. This is a wonderful group at giving one another support for that kind of lifestyle change.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on being off the scale fro your age. That is an accomplishment to crow about.:flowerforyou:

I’m not doing much today but napping and making the suppliers of puffs tissues rich. I hope the rest of you are having more fun.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    bump! :):blushing:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Great. Just great. My folding bike, which lives in the trunk of my car and which I use to get around because of my arthritis (walking is painful; biking isn't), was stolen this evening. #$*%)*(_#$(*#($*_#(*$#*&#^
    /rant

Cynthia
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Welcome newcomers and returnees.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I am working tomorrow and tonight I have choir, so I'll miss you.

Joyce hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:

Katla thanks for the encouragement. :heart:

Have a great evening and day tomorrow.
    Goals limit TV/computer TV is easier
    contentment/communication
    Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    crap what a day!!!
    my head feels like its in a fish bowl , and I left my darn fit bit plugged in at work, so all I can go by is my pedometer.
    im goin to bed lol
    brother still the same , they have him sitting up in a stretcher chair,and unrestrained,we shall see how this goes
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Whew! I'm glad that most of today is over. It would be over except that I'm still short almost 2,000 steps for the day. I think I'll go back outside and walk up and down the side street for a bit. It was a sit down day at work (pretty much the only way I really get work done LOL) so I didn't get as many steps in as I usually do. I've already been out for a one mile walk since I got home from work which really proves how much sitting I did today! Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better walk day because I have a meeting at 6:30 p.m. which means straight from work to church--gotta remember to pack extra snacks.

The scales were not as ugly as they were yesterday, but still 2 lbs higher than they should be. I hope that whatever is making me retain so much fluid is gone. I'm ready to wake up to one of those 2 lb DROPS in one day!

I know that some of you have mentioned arthritic knees. I really want to do Jillian Michaels' 30-day Shred but I'm scared of the jumping jacks. Have any of you done that one?

Enough procrastinating. Those steps aren't going to get done with me sitting here typing. Hope to check back in later.

Carol in NC

Edit: Very short walk! Got to the end of the block and the skies opened up. I got to try that running thing again. At least I had on the proper undergarments this time!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is about bedtime but I go to bed with a headache, very restless at night, dream, dream, dream all night long and therefore wake up with a worse headache. So I am fine now, have been most of the afternoon, Thanks for all the good thoughts!:heart: I am a big one in planning my meals early in the day and then sticking to it. So tonight as we were getting ready to go out to Cracker barrell, I looked back at my diary. I knew I just didn't like the way the carbs and sugars were coming out for the day. I didn't even think to look at my sodium. It wasn't even 1100 mg of sodium. OOPS! There was no time to make any changes as Charlie was ready to go out the door. I told him that I needed to just open my mouth and pour the salt in! So when we sat at out table it came to me that I should look at the breakfast items as I knew that the turkey bacon would give me some sodium. So I got eggs, turkey bacon and hashbrown casserole, still within my carbs, sugar is still a little over but I eat two fruits a day. Doctor told me not to worry about it if most of the sugar overage is from my fruits. I really love the blueberry muffins but knew I couldn't eat it tonight because of the carbs, but with the menu change I can have half of it. Hubby will enjoy having the other half. As I was eating my delicious supper I remembered I had an egg salad sandwich today for lunch. OH NO!!! 4 eggs in one day. And I had just convinced my doctor to take me off my cholesterol med. Also my blood sugar was 118 today. 2 weeks ago 105, 1 week ago 110 and today 118. So I am really having to take a serious look at what I eat.

I don't think I could go with a nutrisystem or that kind of diet. My sister and her husband were very successful on it but as soon as they were finished the maintenance program and were on completely their own food they both ballooned back up. That's why I have always thought that the diabetic diet, whether you are a diabetic or not, is the best kind of diet. From day one you are learning how to eat what you yourself fix and put on your plate. You are learning your own portions and not eating pre-portioned foods. i admire each and every one of you who have found success in the way you do your diet. But this is what I have found successful for me.

Speaking of soul searching, since I can't sleep well, I think at night. I was hoping that with me going to my old church for the Zumba class that it would help me make that big scary step, well for me it is, to go back to church. But when I got to the church, it just ins't my church any more. The building is so foreign looking. The outside is the same but not the inside. The sanctuary I was married in and both my girls were, my husband and both my girls were baptized in, is now this wild looking youth room. There is no alter, cross and baptistry in the front. No organ and piano, just a stage for a band and a huge sound system. The beautiful pews are gone. I have no idea at all where the sanctuary is. so I think I can say goodby to that church and try to find a new one. But my mind really needed to say goodby to the old one. Now I just need to find one that has a traditional service, one with a choir and organ and a big pulpit for the preacher to stand behind instead of him just walking around in khakis and sport shirt looking like he is off to the golf course. Okay that's my that deep confession for the day. Thanks for the physciatrist session!:heart:

Joyce, Indiana
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, i am at the Y working behind the desk today. I got in 35 minutes on the bike and 15 minutes of Hula Hooping but really need to get back into strength training.
    I signed up for a free class for a life coach (offered thru insurance) and one of the questions asked was "How much joy do I create for myself?" I wondered how to answer that, with a number, a percent, what. But I've actually thought about the question a lot today. I don't know the number but It did made me realize what joy I do have in my life. Getting on line and reading all the posts, reading in general, bubble baths, walks in the sun, seeing grandchildren, simple pleasures that one takes for granted.

CynthiaT60, so sorry to hear about your bike, It's sad to think people can steal and sleep at night.

Heather UK, I haven't heard about that exercise book, I will have to check it out.

Laverne, Welcome

Lucy DE, I hope you enjoy your vacation and come back strong.

Plan to Teral, I didn't know low iron is what makes nails brittle, I too suffer from it and have nails that are chipping and breaking.

Vickie 57, so glad you found your ring.

It is almost 8 and we close at 8:30 so I better get in gear and soon I can be home in my PJ's for the evening. The temps have decreased a bunch and it is cold out.

Have a wonderful evening and a happy, healthy tomorrow.

Patty Cincinnati
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Happy Belated anniversary Barbie, sorry I missed it.

I'm getting back into the routine of going to the Y every night after work. Tonight was an hour of strength training. I'm a little sore but it feels good.

I made the skinnytaste chicken cacciatore in the crock pot and it was sooo good. It's so nice to come home after a long day of work and then the Y and have a hot meal already to eat.

I"m off to bed early tonight.

Pat - if you are lurking, I hope you are doing ok.

Meg - you & your Dad are in my prayers

Allison - you & your brother are in my prayers...make sure you take some time to take care of yourself.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll share the article tomorrow. Too tired from playing golf this afternoon. Caught up on reading so hope to stay that way.
    Sue in Tx