WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies, well tomorrow is the big day....off to Baltimore. Spent 3 1/2 hours with my boss in her office going over the entire aging report (32 pages) looking over all the calls I have made this month. This is actually really good because last month I spent 7 hours in her office the night before the AR meeting, didn't get out of work until 7 pm and had to be in Baltimore the next morning at 9. I work in Salisbury Maryland and live in Laurel DE which is a 30 minute drive. so by the time I got home, had dinner, exercised and showered, I didn't get to bed until 11 and got up at 5 to get ready to leave by 6:30.
    :huh: I just hope it doesn't snow tomorrow:huh:
    :huh: : DH was having a problem with the blue tooth in his car (2013 Subaru Legacy) so we took it to the Subaru dealership.:huh:
    :indifferent: while we were waiting for them to do the diagnostic we were just looking at a Trifacta that they had on the showroom floor. The Trifacta seats 8, three in the back 3 in the middle and two up front. Because we now have 4 grand kids with one on the way , we really need a bigger vehicle to be able to take them all with us on the weekends and during the summer. So we were thinking about trading in his Legacy and buying the Trifacta until we couldn't figure out how the heck they expect anyone to be able to squeeze into those back seats. I could just see me trying to put kids in cars seats and booster seats and getting stuck trying to get back out.:laugh:
    :blushing: I feel embarrassed to say I just skimmed the posts and don't have time to reply since I still have to exercise and get ready for tomorrow. So I will leave you with this :

Thought of the Day:
    Memories are our history, yet we can only remember so much.
    Big days in our life, horrible days, life changing days, extremely happy occasions. They lodge in our minds, always there for recall. But let’s face it, 95% of life is made up of all the days in-between those events.
    Do yourself a favor, be your own historian and write down 1 single moment from your day in a notebook.
    That’s it. One sentence. One thought. One event. Write it down every night…
    Be your own historian and you’ll no longer forget all the single days that make up a lifetime. ~ R.Anne.G
    :smile: Many HUGS and prayers for weight loss, friendship and love for all MFP friends:smile:
    :heart: With that said...Goodnight from Rose in Delaware:yawn:
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: I spent the time usually allotted to the computer, taking a nap…not as social but certainly needed.

:flowerforyou: The dogs and I had a fabulous walk this morning under a clear sky and the full moon. Our walking time is such a blessing.

:flowerforyou: Margaret, I am listening to “Salt Sugar Fat” on CD in my car…..what a fabulous book.

:flowerforyou: Many months ago I read about an actress that I like who lost 45 pounds. She said “I broke up with cheese”……..that’s when I stopped buying cheese. It was a good choice for me. I was never able to eat just a small bite so I’m better off with none.

:brokenheart: :sad: Cynthia, I’m so sorry about your bike

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 20,000 steps today ----
    “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Rose - safe travels on Thursday. It's good that you get to go, lots of perks!

Had rummikub here last night. I know I went over on my calories. I needed to try some of this lady's spinach and fetsa pasta salad. I just say, it WAS good, but probably also high in calories. Remember I made those gluten-free cookies for that one lady. Well...it turns out she can't have them because they had butter and she's also lactose intolerant. I gave everyone a bag of these sweet potato tortilla chips (actually, I wanted to get rid of them) but I gave her the rest of the SkinnyPop. I told her I was originally planning that she'd take the rest of the cookies. I also gave her the rest of the fruit salad. So everyone got something. I have one bag of the SkinnyPop that I never opened and if Vince can find the receipt for Sam's, I can probably return it. As expected, I showed a gain today on the Wii. Update: Vince can't find the receipt, but I'll take it to Sam's anywayk, maybe since it's unopened and I know they have a record of the transactions, they'll take it back since I only bought it like a week ago or so. I also want to ask them about renewing my membership. See, I got this credit card (which I really didn't want, and there was no indication that I didn't have to take it), will they just take the money out of the credit card? I have a coupon for $10 so how will that work?

My yoga class is at 7:15 and by the time I looked at the clock it was 7:15. I did need to scrape my windows so that took up some time. So I didn't go to that class, but I will go to the deep water class

Marie - did you read "The End of Overeating"? I'm pretty sure I have that book on my iPod, I know I have one of Mr. Kessler's and I'm pretty sure it's that one. He does make some very good points

margaret - I was looking for Marie's post, too,k and thought maybe there was something wrong with my eyes, I couldn't find it! Glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for telling me why Marie was blocked. I guess it does make sense.

Kathy in NJ - love Downton Abbey, too. To be honest, I have to be careful what I say. See, a friend of mine got all 8 episodes of Season 4 and I've watched them. All's I will say is that at the end, I was saying "isn't there more?"

Vicki - so glad you found your ring!

Today was the first day in a LOOONNGGG time that I used my water shoes in the deep water class. Boy, do they ever add resistance! I think I'm probably going to use them a lot now. Then I went to Big Lots (didn't get anything) and then to Bi-Lo just for what was on sale and things that I absolutely needed. Then senior bowling. I swear, they're really cutting back. I don't think they oiled the lanes, everyone (even the really good bowlers) was having a bad day. Came home and made a pound of bacon for Vince. He likes when it's made in the microwave, so that's what I did.

Have a DVD called "Travel Fit" by Cathe Friedrich which I'll do tomorrow. It's all using bands. They are good because you work on the concentric movement and the eccentric part of the movement.

Joyce - hope you feel better

vlabreu - welcome to a wonderful place! Tell us more about yourself

Cynthia - I'm so sorry for your loss. Will you at least be partially compensated for it?

Carol in NC - whenever there are jumping jacks, I ALWAYS do the low impact ones. What that is is basically one foot is on the ground at all times and you put one heel out to the side, bring it in, then the other heel.

Patty - interesting question. One I just never thought of. I need to give it more thought.

Sandy - good for you getting back into the routine!

Rose - we have an Outlook which has three rows of seats. The second row moves forward for the people to get into the back. Then the seat moves back into the original place so that the people in the second row and sit in their seats. Don't something like that stop you from getting the Trifacta. Ask the salesman to show you how it's done. If it were me, I'd probably even take a carseat with me (minus the child, that is...lol), and put that in the seat.

Michele in NC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sympathy about my bike, friends. It's so frustrating because my arthritis prevents me from walking any real distance (and I'm only 54!), so the folding bike is my solution to almost everything. I probably won't get anything back for it; the insurance was only for a couple of years and it's past that date now. (Can't get bike insurance for more than a couple of years.) So I just have to buy a new one, *$$*@)$&@#^@#^.

It just feels like an attack on my being mobile, which is so difficult.

Cynthia
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning my friends

I reached the 1000 days of logging milestone today. I'm proud of that achievement but only because I know it is what keeps me on track.

Thank you all for your gallbladder removal affirmations - it really helps. I am still apprehensive about the surgery, but will be glad when it's done. I just hope that it won't mean that I'll put some of my weight back on.

Cynthia, poo that somebody stole your bike! Some people are just hateful. I know what it's like to suffer from arthritis (I am 54 also). Before I lost the weight I needed at least one walking stick, sometimes two, just to walk from the house to the car. A couple of years ago I decided to learn to ride a bike - borrowed my daughters and managed to struggle around the park a few times. Unfortunately it made my knee much worse so I gave up.

Must get some work done - busy day ahead.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Just have a second, but wanted to say thanks for being here! I love reading all of the posts. Very motivating.

Amanda- It is so good to hear from you again. Best of luck with your pending surgery. Congrats on 1000 days!!

Meg- My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Allison- Be sure to take care of yourself!!

Jane- Congrats on the pounds! It feels good when the scales decide to cooperate.

LinC- My thoughts and prayers are with you as you deal with your medical challenge. Hope the doctor can help you get everything under control.

Would like to respond to more, but must leave for work in a few an am still in PJs!

Deb A in CNY
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Just a quick one as I have a lot to do today, not the least being to have my nails gelled!:blushing: Still haven't decided what colour. It's my first time. I know Meg has them done sometimes. Meg, I am thinking of you.

Got to pick up the haggis as well. It keeps for a while. Then packing for my exciting weekend!:bigsmile: I'm quite nervous now, but that's par for the course for me. DH slept pretty well last night. Well done him!:flowerforyou: I am taking my tablet, but not sure of the wifi arrangements at the hotel.

Did some HIT on the elliptical this morning. Got my heart rate up to 141. Phew! There is evidence that it can shift abdominal fat. I hope so! My knee seems to be holding up.

OK. I think I have at last slipped below 10 stone to 9 st 13 lbs. That's 139 lbs. Will confirm tomorrow. If so that will be goal I think. BMI 23.1. I don't want to go too low at 64. Gosh, it's been a long haul - I started in June 2012, but I have really enjoyed it, not the least because I found this forum of wonderful women.:love::flowerforyou: :heart:

Bye for now. Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'll be away for a few days; may be able to read but doubt I will be posting. Best to everyone, keep drinking that water and doing your best. I'll leave you with a quote I found on a blog: "What we eat in private, we wear in public".

Linda.........Fingers crossed for you today!

Meg..........You and your dad will be in my thoughts.

Lucy............Nice to "see" you again; sorry about your troubles; I'm also no longer at goal, know how you feel.

Got to run. Unfortunately, it looks like the weather is going to be rain and snow; snow moving this way now............not looking forward to two days of drives.

Best to all,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Lucy:smile: So nice to see you back:flowerforyou: ! Hope you pop in more often, I`ve missed your posts! Enjoy your vacation!

Cynthia:smile: So sorry to hear about your bike:sad: , I just don`t understand people sometimes:noway: :angry: !

Amanda:smile: Congratulations on 1000 days:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: !!!! You are an inspiration!

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    well whatever i have been fighting has finally caught up with me:grumble: I think it is a head cold, my nose is not stuffed at all but my head is,
    I will NOT go over to the hospital as much as I want to ,because i could get something worse ,or get my brother more sick if that is possible.
    I will go get my hair cut today, and take the stuff to the dump but them I am going to lay low..
    I guess I have been burning the candle at both ends..

they laid off about 10 people, with 10 more coming next week where my DH works, right now his union of a whopping 4 people is exempt because they are needed to have the place run.
    but he is scared.. at being almost 62 he is running scared..
    I of course am being selfish a little,I have been waiting to get a cell phone with internet until our contract was up, the phone I want is free,and DH doesnt want to change right now,even though I said I would pay the extra 40 a month.
    he doesnt want to increw any more bills and I understand, but we will always need the cell phones, and he doesnt worry because he has internet on his phone..
    well I will check in later
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I guess I have been burning the candle at both ends..
    A little, yeah. :wink: :flowerforyou:
    Hope you can rest a little.

Cynthia
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I don't have time to read as I'm at work at my day job but wanted to check in. I work both jobs again today but then don't workk at the Y agin until Sunday.
    My test is scheduled for the 29th of January, I'm nervous but plan to practice daily until the day comes, do my best and hopefully all will go well.
    I'm trying to restructure my days now that I've picked up more working hours at the Y so that I can still exercise. I need to get more bang for my buck, so to speak, as time is more of a factor. I've seen some great ideas from everyone else here for alternatives to working out at a gym.
    Better go, just wanted to say Hi, and wish everyone a happy and healthy day.
    Patty from Cincinnati
  • seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! :smile:
    I have not been here for a few days, and just trying to catch up a bit with the last page. I am not good at remembering names, either, and it's hard for me with both our screen names, and real names!
    So I will just say, with limited time:
    Get well soon, my friends who have caught crud that's going around! There are several bugs out there, so far, this house has dodged them. Take care of yourselves, try to let others help, it's hard, as women!

I can sure relate on the arthritis, I am 53, and was diagnosed first about 12 years ago, when I started trying to run vs. walk on my treadmill, I hurt my hip. Doctor told me I am not allowed to run (no problem!), once X-rays showed arthritis. I dismissed it years before, as something "old people" got, and that it was so common, it must not be that big a deal, etc. Oh, to be young and not so wise! :embarassed:
    Now I have foot issues once again, and am starting physical therapy (once again), and arthritis is a daily battle with many areas of my not young but not so old body! The weight will gradually come off and help so much, so I am hanging in there, and I am thankful for the great group here to empathize with and uplift each other! We can and will get better, as we continue this journey!
    :love: :love: :love: :drinker:

Hats off to all who are dealing with health issues, works issues, family issues! One day at a time, one step at a time. :heart:

Hugs and blessings for your day, from Nancy in sunny Arizona! :flowerforyou:
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    GOOD Morning Ladies! Another beautiful day in Dallas/Plano. It's throwback Thursday - Christmas 2013 had a cold; today same cold. Off to see the doc this afternoon and surely this cold will be history. I hope everyone has a blessed Thursday.

MEG sure hope dad is still improving :heart:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I’m sorry you’re nervous and tense. I wonder if it is stress backlash after your medical procedures. Maybe you should report the situation to your MD. I love that you’re crocheting scarves for your grands. I have been able to go back to knitting thanks to my DH’s birthday gift of slim square knitting needles, but so far I’ve ended up with a flare-up every time I’ve tried to crochet. I bought rubber grippers to slide onto the hooks and make them bigger and easier to hold, but they don’t get the job done. Any recommendations?:flowerforyou:

Margaret: I am also grateful that this group is so positive and supportive. It is a shame that there aren’t other snark free zones. There are some rude and belligerent folks out there. The moderators do remove the truly awful posts, eventually. With the volume of posts on MFP, that must be a big job.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: I have waited to get my rings sized, too. I had to take one off and put it away several months ago because it was too loose. The other is nearing the same point. I am at goal, or close enough, so the only thing stopping me from getting them done now is inertia.:flowerforyou:

PlanoTeral: Years ago my gynecologist told me to take calcium citrate and vitamin D3 supplements, and they have made a huge difference in my situation. They’re over the counter supplements, and have helped keep my mood up and osteoporosis at bay. It needs to be calcium citrate, NOT calcium carbonate. I went shopping and found Citracal Maximum. The levels the doctor required me to take means that I take two tablets in the morning, and another 2 at night. My original doctor retired the same month I did, and the new one is satisfied that I’m doing everything I need to be doing to fight off osteoporosis. Tums is calcium carbonate, which is good for indigestion, but not bone density, as I understand it. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I’m not sure I understand your credit card question. When I buy something with cash, they give me cash back. When I buy with a credit card, they apply the price as a refund to the credit card balance. I think you’re smart to suggest taking the car seat along when shopping for a car. I'm sure they can be made to fit, but in our age group we need to consider the physical flexibility required to actually install them.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I am so sorry for the loss of your bike. Hugs.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: A thousand days of logging is SOOOO impressive. Congratulations! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I plan to log forever, too. I don’t trust myself to “wing it.” Bad habits are sneaky and will slide back in if I'm not vigilant. Gallbladder removal had no impact on my weight. I was tubby at the time, and didn’t get any tubbier because of it. I don't think you need to worry about gaining because of it.:flowerforyou:

Deb A in CNY: I find the posts here motivating, too. Have a great day.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Enjoy your gelled nails. Let us know what color you choose. I hope you decide to stick around now that you’re at goal.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I am so sorry about your loss. Was your bike stolen out of your locked car? :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I’m a believer, but not a church goer. We went to church with friends a couple of years ago and I felt like it was a stage production, not a worship service. It made me very uneasy.:flowerforyou:

Alison: I’m sorry you have the cold, too, and also that your DH is anxious about his employment security. You’re wise to stay away from the hospital right now. Maybe you’ll be able to get a little more rest. You do so much.:flowerforyou:

Meg: We haven’t heard from you in a while and I know you must be very busy with home, work and your dad's health. You and your dad are in my prayers.:flowerforyou:

Linda C: I am thinking about you today and hope your medical appointment goes well. I have lots of hopes and prayers for you.:flowerforyou: Please check back in and let us know how things went. :flowerforyou:

Still have this awful cold. I added mucinex and a mister to my regime last night and slept okay. DH is doing all the cooking, bless his heart. Time to by stock in the tissue companies, ladies. Since two of us are both sick with colds and are in different regions of the country I’m guessing there are MANY others and the tissue sales will go way up.:wink::tongue: :sick:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    hey thanks Katla, my doctor told me to take vitamin D3 supplements didn't say anything about the calcium.:happy:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Amanda, 1000 days, wow, congrats and everything else. I don't know how MFP does it to me but I get these things on my home page saying I have now logged in 45 days in a row. What?????? I have logged in every day since I joined in late 2012.

Katla, I have been in churches that have what you say, productions. My daughter and her husband are very active members in what I call a mega church. To the person who doesn't know that church, it looks like a production. And it is to much of a rehearsed service for me. The leaders listen to testimonys before people give them, big band on set, etc. The min thing I don't like is the contemporary music. But the preaching is very sound and I love that. I'm going to call some one today and tell them what I want in a church and let them help me.

I am finally losing the weight I gained from all that Christmas candy.

Joyce, indiana
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I only took time to read the last page. Would of had time for more but son came for lunch.

Thank you all for the good wishes and all the prayers and do keep them coming there's strength in numbers.

Seen my nurse practioner this morning not the best of news. But not all bad neither. I did have a heart attack by my ECG but the when we don't know. But I'd say it was in Nov. when I was having all the upper back pain. And worse of it is I did go to emerge and doctor didn't even send me for blood work. Sent me home with a prescription for gall bladder.

What's done is done thank goodness for a lady practioner who looked further than the weight problem.
    I go for my stress test on Tuesday. I feel somewhat better every day. Still only allowed 5 min. walks at a time. But can do it more than once a day but need to rest in between. So figured I did it once already when I went to doctors and i'll be going out to get grandson at 3 and will walk a little there also. And probably a little walk after supper. Will try and get out three times a day.

Well there that's all about me me me. I will try and come back and take notes like I used to but right now. I think I'm going down for a nap. Was up from 2:30 this morning until 4:00. Practioner said lots of rest. So guess I must listen.

Oh yea had a loss at tops last night again. I must be getting close to 200 I'm not asking the way they do our weight now we don't see our weight. They tell us how much we gained or lost. That's 3 maybe 4 consecutive loses.

For all of you under the weather take care.
    For those of you losing weight congratulations.
    And for the lady who lost her bike put a picture in your area
    Someone might remember seeing it.

Well that's it from the peanut galary now going to dream happy dreams.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Lin - so glad you are feeling a bit better. I love your attitude.:flowerforyou:

Katla and Joyce - have you ever thought of the Quakers? My DSIL'S boyfriend has just changed to them from the Unitarians.

My knee is playing up. It was fine until I did my packing this pm. Psychosomatic? :laugh: I hope it will be better in the morning.
    I chose a light pinky mauve for the gell. Wanted to be able to live with it for a few weeks, not just for the party.:happy:
    I'm all packed and I've downloaded another happiness book, this time by a Buddhist monk. I will read it on the train and in London. I will be so spiritual by the time I've read all these books I will be levitating!:laugh: :laugh: :wink:

Im a bit nervous about the weekend, the whole hotel, restaurant, party thing. You wouldn't think I lived in London for 40 years and my son is only up the road! Had two alcoholic drinks tonight, but stopping now. There is something a bit intimidating about posh restaurants, especially if you haven't been there before, but I am taking all the advice of my books on board and saying it is OK to be vulnerable and DONT LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD!
    Wow! My tablet can write that motto all by itself! Amazing!

Love to all. Nurse your colds and be good to yourselves.:flowerforyou: :love:

Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Body pump yesterday, and Bodycombat today again. After exercise, I sometimes make a blended drink with frozen blueberries, protein powder, and greens. It turns a yucky color of grey, but I find it refreshing. Funny what you can develop a taste for.

Cynthia, I am starting to develop arthritis too. That is one of the reasons I joins MFP, to track my sugar consumption better. I am checking to see if cutting back on sugar will help.

-Kay (PNW USA)