Who are we losing weight for... Really?

Options

Replies

• faiza77
    faiza77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Iwant to lose wt,Iam just gaining and gaining, i feel tired and ugly , i want to lose it for myself and my family.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing it because I'm a shallow, vain, prick.
    Not every action in life has to have a big drama behind it.
    It's not because of some profound life-changing experience that made me start going to the gym.
    Do, i care what other people think i should look? No.
    Do i care what magazines and tv think i should look? No.
    I care what "I" think I should look. And i say I will look good with abs. So, I'm doing everything i can, to get it.
  • mcruz1996
    Options
    thank you... you are so right!! I needed too read your post.I was a little sad, a little down tonight. I was worried that when I weigh in with the trainer 'tomorrow that I will not be happy. I have been working out everyday and logging my food.
    so I hope i have lost at least 2 pounds
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    3 weeks now. 3 weeks I've been weighing **** out and calorie counting. I've been jogging every day too. I feel great. I've lost nearly a stone. But I'm thinking who am I really losing the weight for?
    Of course we all say 'it's for me' - but aren't we all doing it really so we feel sexy and acceptable? Acceptable to magazine ideals, to people we wish would love us if only we lost a few, etc...
    It's all bull**** really, isn't it? We are the same however much we weigh - it's our minds and personalities that matter. Someone who is un-sexy and irritating at 18 stone will still be the same at 12 stone, there's just less of them to be irritated by?

Congratulations on your success so far! Why not focus on health and life expectancy instead of what others think?

I could care less what others think about my weight. I plan on maintaining my ideal weight for 2 purposes:

1. Maximum life expectancy
    2. Optimal performance at current sport of choice (long distance running)

While I am currently bulking and perhaps will be a few kg over my "ideal running" weight by spring, my focus is not aesthetics. I lift weights because I want to strengthen my muscles & tendons. Doing so will help me remain injury free as I increase my running mileage this year.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    History of cardiovascular problems in my family, plus activities I loved getting more difficult due to the weight was what got me to lose the weight. I'd like to live a long enjoyable life.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I'm getting in shape for the following reasons:

1. For my health, strength and fitness as I get older.
    2. To somehow get in good enough shape to be able to derive some positive self esteem from it.
    3. Hopefully, as a result of 2, somebody else will find me attractive. They probably won't, but I'll at least be able to like myself if I achieve step 2.
  • lumyrainstar
    Options
    I'm 23 and weigh 429 pounds. I am losing it so that I don't get diabetes or other health complications. ALso for my very future children. I want to be able to be pregnant and healthy and then healthy after I have my baby. *(*this is all in the distant future) lol
  • sickofbeingfat1986
    Options
    Yea my whole profile basically says that this is all for shallow reasons and that's ok
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just want to fit back into my pre pregnancy clothing!
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think we are all influenced by outside forces friends, family, tv and magazines but ultimately it is down to you as a individual. If you don't want to do it for yourself then it is never going to work. We have all used excuses in the past as to why we have failed to lose weight but we are geared to keep trying.
    When something finally clicks wether it is the type of diet, health issues or meeting the right person we can all achieve that goal to lose weight and stick with it but it has to be because YOU want to and not because you feel you SHOULD do it!!
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Me! Of course, the society standards you talk about are part of me.
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options
    Some amazing answers here. Thanks guys. x
  • latenightdreamer
    Options
    It's usually for myself but sometimes I go back and forth between doing it for myself and doing it for a guy I've been hanging out with/sort of dating. Although as of late, I've realized that when I'm choosing to exercise/eat right out of the motivation that I'll be more attractive to him, if something goes wrong between us I sort of fall apart and revert to making poor choices.

Last week I hit the mark of losing 140 pounds which hasn't at all been to do with him except maybe the last 40. But since he's come into my life, it's crazy how crap I feel about myself still weighing 180lbs and being more and more impatient with not rapidly losing weight .

As I've become more and more aware of poor motivation, when I eat something now I try to filter it through the lens of whether or not I'm taking care of myself as I make that choice as opposed to, if you eat that you're going to get fat again.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for myself, but also somewhat for the other people. There's no one I'm particulary losing weight for, it's more like I want my perspective towards people to change. I'm not doing it for them, I'm doing it for the way I personally feel around them. I know my weight is my concern and it burdens me, not anyone else. Even if someone tells you you're fat, you're the one suffering, not them, so you're still doing it for yourself. I don't think that my reasons are the healthiest to lose weight, but what really keeps me going is that I feel better now. I don't feel "good", but if I can at least feel a little better then it's worth it. Who knows, maybe things will turn around and I'll feel good eventually, and weight loss will help me to reach this happiness.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for me. For real. Of course I feel the expectations of society of how women are supposed to look, but I felt those for at least a decade before actually making a change. If that had been the only reason for losing weight, I really don't think I would have lasted very long.

I do it because I look at family members with lifesyle related health problems, and I don't want that to be me in the future. I look at some elderly people I know/have known and I know that if I get to my 70s/80s/90s, I want to do so fit and strong, with a healthy heart, good bone density and good immune system.

I do it because I had a really unhealthy relationship with food and was using overeating as a coping mechanism for life. Counting calories has foced me to address a lot of these issues and it means that I now enjoy food a lot more than I did before when I was constantly overeating.

I do it because I love being it enough to go for a run, and strong enough to carry heavy stuff without relying on other people.

I do it because now, for the first time ever, I feel comfortable in my skin. I also get a kick out of wearing clothes that suit my personality, wich wasn't an option at a bigger size.

I do it because it makes me feel strong and powerful to make a commitment to something and succeed. Losing 90+ lbs is something I never ever thought I'd b able to do, and the confidence I've gained from doing it has filtered into all other areas of my life. I feel unstoppable now. :smile:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for my health and my kids. No BS. My body collapsed and I could have died. So I changed my diet and started exercising. I never had the motivation without the ER to push me into it. I can't forget how painful it was.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm losing weight for all the yokels to see what they're missing.
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Vanity.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I wanted to look better and be able to wear better clothes. I concede that this contains an element of wanting other people to think I look good, but there is no one in particular I'm trying to impress other than myself.