2000 reasons why GMO foods are safe

Options
12345679»

Replies

• newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Some studies suggest a correlation between deodorant use and breast cancer. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/AP-Deo

Certain birth control companies now have class action lawsuits against them because they are suspected to have been a key factor in several women's deaths. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/yaz-yasmin-birth-control-pills-linked-23-deaths-canada-article-1.1370853

I am sure that GMO foods are just as bit as "safe" as the products mentioned above. I don't know about the rest of the people on this thread, but I have no interest in having my body being used as part of a large scale science experiment.

With GMO I think it really depends on how the food was modified. Some GMO foods are probably completely safe. Others probably are not. I think it depends on the type of modification. Labeling about *whether* something was modified and *how* it was modified would really help. But even though companies like Monsanto and General Mills are so convinced their products are safe, and in fact good for human health, they refuse to label whether they are GMO and have spent millions if not billions to defeat labeling initiatives in various US states. Weird huh? These products are so safe! Hell no we won't label them! I don't think we need to prove that GMO = harm to get labels, in the same way we should not have to prove that calories = harm to get labels. Again it all depends on the type of modification. Something modified to be "Roundup ready" so it can be sprayed with 5 times as much Roundup might be a little bit more harmful than something modified to provide the same antioxidant health benefits as blueberries. The two are not at all the same and labeling needs to happen.

I do know that USDA organic means it's not GMO. It's expensive but my husband and I are trying to buy as many foods organic as we can afford. I have also observed that the numbers of people shopping in that organic section has increased exponentially in the last few years... so other people are "hungry for change" too.
  • Gholmar
    Gholmar Posts: 37
    Options
    Imply: "(of a fact or occurrence) suggest (something) as a logical consequence"

Exactly. Correlation does suggest causation. No, it doesn't prove it, and your shark example shows that. But it does suggest/imply it, and then we look deeper into the data (often in the form of our experiences) to infer actual causes.

I mean, from what do we infer causation, if not correlation?

But I'm home from work now, so I'm less grumpy. And as this is off-topic and probably not fun for anyone but me, I'll just leave us with this: http://xkcd.com/552/

So are you just going to ignore this, then and rather pick and choose my points?

"In the context of one variable implying another variable, "imply" means "causes". Correlation does not imply causation because there could be other variables that play a role."

Except the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" doesn't have variables. It has two concepts, or two phenomena. You're conflating example with definition.

Also, if you're going to post contradictory things, then I'm sort of forced to pick and choose, right?

Correlation does not imply causation is saying exactly that - that there are other variables in play

No, "correlation does not PROVE causation" would say exactly that.

"If there is causation, there is correlation. If there is no causation, there might be aberrant correlation. If there is observed correlation, there might be causation. If there is no correlation, there is no causation. Correlation implies, but does not prove, causation." --http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=6319

If you won't listen to me why don't you take a look at this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

:)

Read the second and third paragraphs under "Usage." Now we can all be friends again, yes?
  • Dangerdick
    Options
    Nothing better than a GMO tomato which is made with fish genes - yum! I buy organic for foods labeled organic cannot contain GMOs.

Do you even know the reason why they spliced fish genes into the tomatoes? Frost protection.

I'm afraid of the bones . . .

Got to be careful, don't want to choke!

I'm pretty sure this is going to lead to "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" type scenario

Regardless, they were never commercialized..

There is absolutely no health risks associated with GMO foods, and anyone who thinks there is are simply misinformed.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Right!?!? I think mother nature knows best and we should leave it up to her!!!

I think 'mother nature' is a made up concept and that I am loathe to leave matters such as food up to something that doesn't actually exist. I'd rather my food supply had an intelligent guiding hand involved.

I'm oddly pro-humanity like that I guess
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

I think 'mother nature' is a made up concept and that I am loathe to leave matters such as food up to something that doesn't actually exist. I'd rather my food supply had an intelligent guiding hand involved.

It DID.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In

ETA: for less intoxicated reading in the morning.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It DID.

Disagree.
  • mrsPaananen72
    mrsPaananen72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    GM foods are safe and predictable. The alternative breeding method is to wait for random mutations to improve food, and then you have no idea what you are getting. With GM you know exactly what you have added and what, if any, safety concerns might be present.

I think you´re right.

Radiation and strong chemicals are used to make these random mutations. And they really are random, so we really don´t know what else mutations than - lets say - grain size or count has changed. Chemical composition that increases digestion problems? Or cholesterol rise? Or hormone imbalance?

With GM it´s just that very specific thing that has been changed.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    GM foods are safe and predictable. The alternative breeding method is to wait for random mutations to improve food, and then you have no idea what you are getting. With GM you know exactly what you have added and what, if any, safety concerns might be present.

I think you´re right.

Radiation and strong chemicals are used to make these random mutations. And they really are random, so we really don´t know what else mutations than - lets say - grain size or count has changed. Chemical composition that increases digestion problems? Or cholesterol rise? Or hormone imbalance?

With GM it´s just that very specific thing that has been changed.

We now have the technology to tell us exactly what change has occurred, even if it was radiation or strong chemical methods used to induce mutations. Genome sequencing is now so advanced it can be done in a matter of days now, or less. So while the changes are random with these methods, what is put out to the consumer would not be, trust me. This technology has changed so rapidly that it is hard to keep up with how to teach it to my students.

I am not saying this is the way I would go. I am saying we are at the point where we know what changes have occurred.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well since some of you sau they are safe then maybe you should help pass the GMO labeling laws. That way you can make sure your food is genetically modified before you buy it. :)
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    To say that GMO's are safe and predictable and specific is making an assumption based on hypothesis--not fact.The plain truth is that there are many unknowns when it comes to GMO's in our food chain. For anyone who might actually be interested in reading further information and not hype from either side of this debate:
    http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/our-failing-food-system/genetic-engineering/

Happy reading!
  • Claremoak
    Claremoak Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Read later
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Well since some of you sau they are safe then maybe you should help pass the GMO labeling laws. That way you can make sure your food is genetically modified before you buy it. :)

lulz

Paranoia is fun to watch in action
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    This thread blew up while I was eating cauliflower.

Coincidence? I think NOT!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I hope that was cauliflower pizza with cauliflower ice cream for dessert.

Okay, no I don't . . .
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Okay, no I don't . . .

I use cauliflower as it was genetically designed to be used. nom nom nom
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Okay, no I don't . . .

So boiled or baked and covered with cheese?
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Okay, no I don't . . .

So boiled or baked and covered with cheese?

Like I like my Waffle House hashbrowns, baby! smothered & covered!