Who are we losing weight for... Really?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• HanaNikki
    Options
    Of course our concept of beauty is influenced by the media, but leaving that aside, I really want to lose the weight for myself. I already am at a healthy weight, so it's not for my health (though I work out and eat clean to stay healthy). Most people (including my husband) tell me I don't need to lose weight, but I just feel prettier with 10 lbs less.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I wasn't overweight before, and was already healthy. So yeah....I'm doing it all for the sexy reason. To be sexy to other people AND so that I like what I see when I look in the mirror.
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options
    So many interesting replies here... but, OP, let me ask you a question. Are you perhaps getting slightly demotivated? You are after the first "honeymoon" phase of losing when the pounds shed so fast and we're full of enthusiasm... Is it an endorphin drop?

Don't get me wrong, you have asked a very legitimate question. I am just asking because for me, when I was just too tired or frustrated to try, the whole "people should accept me as I am, it's my brains and heart that matter" thing was my best excuse for sabotaging my efforts.

All I am saying is, if that should be the case - hang on in there! There is nothing wrong with being valued for your heart, brains *and* looks, and whatever/whoever your motivator is, it all boils down to - do you *want* to stay as you were? If not, then whatever your motivation, you are still on the right track yo what ultimately *you* want.

This.

Yep, was kinda feeling de-motivated. Thanks for jeeing me up. x
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had a health scare and ended up in the hospital.

I saw some really obese folks, more than me with severe diabetes related problems.

I don't want my toes to fall off.

Borderline high blood pressure.

Plus frankly I just felt like crap.

Nobody feels good lugging around 50, 100, 200 plus extra pounds on them.

I couldn't even walk from the blasted car to the beach without feeling I was going to pass out.

Walking through a narrow place and my big fat *kitten* bumping into things.

My clothes are crap too. I look old and frumpy.
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Definitely for me.

I dont have any friends because my social anxiety has locked me up, my only friends are online so I'm hoping that losing a few pounds can hopefully bring a bit of confidence to me so I can finally leave my house without a thousand thoughts running through my mind.

Obviously there is the fact I want to look better to others also..
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sure, I want to look better and be more fit. But, really, I'm losing it because I NEED to. I'm losing it so I don't get so tired. So my joints don't ache. So I can keep up with my beautiful, gorgeous, active son that deserves a mama he can run around the park with. I want to hike and bike ride with more stamina. I want to not hate how I look in photos with my hubby and son. I just want to be healthy. THAT'S why I'm losing weight. I deserve better.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    3 weeks now. 3 weeks I've been weighing **** out and calorie counting. I've been jogging every day too. I feel great. I've lost nearly a stone. But I'm thinking who am I really losing the weight for?
    Of course we all say 'it's for me' - but aren't we all doing it really so we feel sexy and acceptable? Acceptable to magazine ideals, to people we wish would love us if only we lost a few, etc...
    It's all bull**** really, isn't it? We are the same however much we weigh - it's our minds and personalities that matter. Someone who is un-sexy and irritating at 18 stone will still be the same at 12 stone, there's just less of them to be irritated by?

Well, Dr. Phil... :smile: Now that you mention it, I am currently losing weight because of the romanticized idea that I will be more content at a certain weight. I think that people will treat me with more respect, at my goal weight, and I will be happier due to this. The whole "sexy"-and-"acceptable"-to-myself-and-others thing is accurate too. Lastly, I want to 'earn' my own self-respect by proving to myself that I have the discipline to get to my goal weight... I wanna be proud! Obviously health reasons are a contributing factor but I feel like that reason runs behind all the other reasons I have here, in this reply, because I'm already quite healthy.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely doing it for me and my closest loved ones--my family, so they don't lose another daughter/sister (my sister died in 2000, in an accident), and my fiancé, so we can grow old together.

I'm doing it for myself for the following reasons: I want to be healthy, I want to feel good and look it, I want to be able to shop for "regular" sized clothes that I actually like with "regular" prices in a decent amount of time without breaking down in a fitting room and I want to enjoy the shopping experience, and I want to look good for (and enjoy) my engagement photos and my wedding day. I do not want to be thinking about my weight on my wedding day.

Hey, I'm never going to be in a magazine. I don't want to be. I just want to be able to do normal things without thinking about how uncomfortable I am in my own body, and how guilty I feel for letting that happen. I want to stop comparing myself with other women I see around town and on television. With my healthier body, I want a healthier mindset and healthier emotions. An all around healthier lifestyle.

ETA: I also need to reduce my weight due to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. The extra weight on my joints does not help matters.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I reached a point that I was fed up with being fat, tired, and feeling like I was an arthritic 80 year old trying move around when I was only 27. I suppose to answer your question directly, I'm doing this to never be or feel like that ever again.

It's common early to lose the "honeymoon" phase, as others have called it. You lose fast, then the excitement wears off and the daily grind begins. It's a lot like starting a new job. Try to just have a plan in place and stick to it as best you can. It's not easy, but it gets more routine as you go along.

Good luck to you.