Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options
I was not able to drop much weight until I quit these three evils. Then it came off fast, and without even exercising.
30 lbs in two months, bam, gone!
After years of struggling and sweating and counting calories, only this was truly effective.
Have kept it off 6 months now too, it is not coming back. Try it.

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    **Meanwhile, in my fortress of evil**

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit. I wish you the best but have no intention of ever giving up these things. Especially the dairy...ice cream.... Also, 30 lbs in 2 months seems ridiculous and not healthy for most people, so...
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit. I wish you the best but have no intention of ever giving up these things. Especially the dairy...ice cream.... Also, 30 lbs in 2 months seems ridiculous and not healthy for most people, so...

+1
  • wonderbolt_in_training
    Options
    I wonder if there is some truth to this for certain body types, because ever since I cut out these 3 my entire life has changed. Healthwise and fitnesswise. I think this will probably piss people off touted as a magical mystery cure but for me, it was a huge step because it got me eating greens and fruit and my acid reflux stopped kicking my butt.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    hmmm I eat these three "evil" foods regularly and maintain 11% body fat and have lost about 60 pounds total since I started..

OP - you are losing weight because you restricted three food groups and created a calorie deficit..

Also, are you eating zero sugar? So that means no fruit, candy, carbs, etc????
  • ndj1979
    Options

+ 2
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I wonder if there is some truth to this for certain body types, because ever since I cut out these 3 my entire life has changed. Healthwise and fitnesswise. I think this will probably piss people off touted as a magical mystery cure but for me, it was a huge step because it got me eating greens and fruit and my acid reflux stopped kicking my butt.

if you eat greens and fruit you are still eating "evil sugar" so you have not eliminated sugar..

you have just massively restricted your intake to a point where you have created a calorie deficit…
  • prettystrongmed
    Options
    I haven't completely eliminated all of these things from my diet - I don't feel it is sustainable in the long run for my lifestyle (I'm a professional student) but by significantly limiting my intake, I've seen great progress as well!

It's pretty clear to me from my own research that our diet should be plant-based - that doesn't mean I won't indulge in a cheeseburger every now and then but I'm trying to incorporate way more fruits, veggies, and unprocessed grains, seeds, and legumes into my diet as possible. It took me a while to get here but I have the most energy I've had in a while, all things considered.

Good luck to you! It's a hard transition - these items truly do have addictive effects in the body so it's natural that anyone would hate the suggestion to eliminate them. Do what you can and do what makes your body feel good.
  • h3ktlk
    h3ktlk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hmmm I eat these three "evil" foods regularly and maintain 11% body fat and have lost about 60 pounds total since I started..

OP - you are losing weight because you restricted three food groups and created a calorie deficit..

Every body is different.. Some people can not diet, eat junk and never gain.. some people can eat a donut and gain 5 lbs. You can not generalize everyone as you. Losing 30 lbs in 2 months is not that crazy depending how much there is to lose of course. From experience with a lot to lose and following a steady plan 30 lbs the first 2 months of a diet is forseeable. Its when that person only has 30 to lose total its more far fetched.
  • poisonedweapon
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Coeliacs disease a year and a half ago... I can't cut out dairy because I'm not allowed and I think cutting out sugar entirely would make my life a very sad one as this would include fruits. However since cutting out gluten alone I have GAINED weight as my body processes the food in my gut more efficiently. I think to label dropping these three "sins" as a miracle cure is to not understand that each persons body has different needs. Personally I believe I need to cut out fats and salts from my diet to help me loose weight, but another person might be different.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    these items truly do have addictive effects in the body so it's natural that anyone would hate the suggestion to eliminate them

No, it's not truly true at all.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am on a detox right now which eliminates gluten (I was already not eating gluten), sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, soy. All of these foods cause inflammation and don't allow the body to heal from the inside. I have lost 8 lbs already. They say it helps prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries as well. I am vegetarian (mostly vegan, still eat cage free, organic eggs from a local farm in my state) and honestly believe that a plant based diet is the healthiest and most humane way to live.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Every body is different.. Some people can not diet, eat junk and never gain.. some people can eat a donut and gain 5 lbs. You can not generalize everyone as you. Losing 30 lbs in 2 months is not that crazy depending how much there is to lose of course. From experience with a lot to lose and following a steady plan 30 lbs the first 2 months of a diet is forseeable. Its when that person only has 30 to lose total its more far fetched.

Umm actually everyone is the same…if you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Eliminating sugar, daily, gluten has nothing to do with weight loss..it is just an idiotically restrictive way to create a calorie deficit…

Eat a donut and gain five pounds, really? So that donut has 17,500 calories in it? That would be one hell of a donut…
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I am on a detox right now which eliminates gluten (I was already not eating gluten), sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, soy. All of these foods cause inflammation and don't allow the body to heal from the inside. I have lost 8 lbs already. They say it helps prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries as well. I am vegetarian (mostly vegan, still eat cage free, organic eggs from a local farm in my state) and honestly believe that a plant based diet is the healthiest and most humane way to live.

so you eat zero sugar…no carbs, fruit, etc, right?
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Firstly I want to say congratulations on your weight loss. Its commendable.

Also as I vegan I gave up wheat, processed sugars, alcohol, caffeine. I eat very healthily and have maintained a pretty decent weight. I struggled to eat enough calories but after a few weeks i have achieved a pretty decent level. I do however eat less than I have before, gained more energy and feel a 100x better mentally as well as physically. It is only after a month of removing bad foods and eating clean that my weight is starting to shift/fat turning into muscle.

People with allergies or tolerances hold onto the poisons in their bodies using fat, so when people cut them out of their diet the fat falls off. It is quite a common result.

However just because you cut out certain foods doesn't mean that you are in a deficit or are eating badly. The only thing that is recommended is that once you start a diet it you have to make it a lifestyle because the weight will go back on.

I also think it is a good way of learning new habits and removing old habits. It is so easy to reach for the chocolate bar or bag of crips.

Keep up the good work and I hope your weight stays off
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I was not able to drop much weight until I quit these three evils. Then it came off fast, and without even exercising.
    After years of struggling and sweating and counting calories, only this was truly effective.

I had to give them up because I am intolerant, but I lost weight perfectly well and kept it off before that. There is nothing wrong with any of them if you aren't intolerant, they're just food. The problem is when you eat too much of any of them. It's about your choice to put too much of them in your mouth, or any other food, for that matter. If you called eggs and bacon evil and stopped eating them and lost weight, you'd think that was effective too, and preach about it. Food is food.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Why doubt the OP?

It is possible this person is extremely obese. Dropping foods that they may have binged on may have truly led to this weight loss.

The bigger you are the more weight you can quickly drop initially.

Some people don't eat just 1 or 2 pieces of cake, they eat the whole cake at one sitting.

Have you ever seen a person who weighs 4-500 pounds? How do you think they got that way? It wasn't eating singular normal size portions 3 times a day with a small couple of snacks a day.

We are all different. Think outside your own box.

Congrats for making a healthy-for-you change.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Why doubt the OP?

It is possible this person is extremely obese. Dropping foods that they may have binged on may have truly led to this weight loss.

Some people don't eat just 1 or 2 pieces of cake, they eat the whole cake at one sitting.

Have you ever seen a person who weighs 4-500 pounds? How do you think they got that way? It wasn't eating singular normal size portions 3 times a day with a small couple of snacks a day.

If you took the time to read any of our posts, you'd see we are saying - it's not the food that is evil (as OP called it), but the choice to stuff too much of the food in one's face. Any food can be called evil, it's self control that is required.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_mtc0o6rgaj1r3gb8t.gif
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a mild gluten allergy and a bigger dairy intolerance. I admire what you did because I have the hardest time kicking those to the curb. Dairy is a bit easier, but gluten is in everything. When I haven't had those for a few consecutive days I feel sooo good!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why doubt the OP?

what do you think is more likely to lead to binging? One - restrict three whole food groups and label them as evil? Tw0 - create a modest calorie deficit where you lose one pound per week, and continue to eat the foods that you enjoy, and not label them as "evil"..?

Most people that attempt to restrict whole food groups have some initial success and then fall off the wagon when they give in and start eating/binging on said restricted foods again …
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!