Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    the first thing all "food/sugar addicts" have to realize is it isnt the food and it isnt the sugar. its them. also once you tell your self you cant have something, and then you eat it you tend to think; well i already had one and screwed up my day i misewell enjoy the rest because tomorrow im not going to be able to have a cookie because its bad; that is how binging starts. it is all how you think and self talk yourself into overeating.

what makes you think once your 21 day detox is over introducing the "bad" food back into your diet you wont binge again???

you wont because in your mind you told yourself since i havent had sugar in a while i will know how to control myself with it if i have just one cookie today.

a drug addict can never introduce that drug back into their life like a "sugar addict" can introduce sugar back into theirs

im sorry you are not getting the answers you want from alot of people but reality is you need to take responsibility for yourself and get some will power and know that one cookie doesnt ruin your day

i use to be the same way

Then you need to update your ticker to reflect your current weight now that you have it all figured out!

what does my ticker have to do with me realizing that i had the problem not the food lol and that most people need to do the same sorry if you feel your personal views was attacked by mine but my ticker has nothing to do with anything :huh: :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Raise your hand if you're a sugar addict and will resort to simply eating suaar right from a 5 lb bag if there are no cookies.

Did anyone raise their hand jonny?

Not that I noticed, QB. Plenty of sugar addicts in this thread who somehow don't end up face-first in the giant bag of sugar in the cabinet when there are no donuts around. Strong addiction.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why are some people so thick headed?? I will speak for myself but I'm sure I'm referring to most of the "sugar addicts". When we say sugar, we are referring to sweets, for example, cakes, pies, ice cream, brownies... maybe it's the sugar combined with the fat that makes us want more? Who knows but many of us cannot stop at just one or two cookies. Is it about over eating? I don't think so because I can eat a 3 oz piece of chicken for lunch and be satisfied. I can eat one ounce of pistachios and not want more.

So when we say sugar, stop being so critical and try being a little more helpful. Don't ask us if we can eat table sugar right out of the bag, it's not what we're referring to. It not about fruit either. It's about sweets. What makes many of us able to eat an entire bag of cookies and the person next to us able to stop at two?

Now for me, I can't and won't eat gummy bears or any hard candy and those are loaded with sugar! Is anyone else that way?

I don't think it helps anyone to say they're addicted to sugar when it's not actually sugar that's even the problem.

Then what's the problem? And don't say over eating :tongue:

Its palatable foods... it doesnt have to be sugar based foods. And its not just foods, its lack of exercise and drive. People just as easily dont care for exercise and would mainline hamburgers from fast food restaurants. Unfortunately, people have to blame something and its easy to say its sugar instead of your own self.

Beside there have been many good example to why its not sugar to include a piece of fruit vs candy... with a piece of fruit with higher sugar content. So the reason we are thick headed because we dont believe in pseudo science and food demonizing. But if you need to cut a particular food group out of your diet so you adhere to a diet, the great but realize that wasnt because of addiction but rather adherence.

Exactly! Sugar is sugar. I will happily eat a honey-based treat just like I would a treat made with sugar cane or sugar from fruit, etc. For others, salty foods are their "bane." But in the end, it's the lack of self-control when it comes to foods that are palatable, and palates vary.

I used to think the same way, that sugar from the sugar cane was somehow bad, but sugar in fruit or honey was ok. But it's simply not true. Science tells us it's all glucose in the end. The only difference is the smell and the way we feel when it touches our tongue, and obviously, whether or not we are able to control ourselves.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Raise your hand if you're a sugar addict and will resort to simply eating suaar right from a 5 lb bag if there are no cookies.

Not that I noticed, QB. Plenty of sugar addicts in this thread who somehow don't end up face-first in the giant bag of sugar in the cabinet when there are no donuts around. Strong addiction.

I've been known to crunch up a few sugar cubes in the past. Does this mean I am an addict??
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well, I think if you have determined that sugar (sweets) are in control of you and you cannont help yourself but to eat them then stay away from them. I eat sweets in moderation, but I can't have Lays potato chips in the house because I will eat them. Good luck to you in changing the way you eat. You have to figure it out for yourself what will work for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    the first thing all "food/sugar addicts" have to realize is it isnt the food and it isnt the sugar. its them. also once you tell your self you cant have something, and then you eat it you tend to think; well i already had one and screwed up my day i misewell enjoy the rest because tomorrow im not going to be able to have a cookie because its bad; that is how binging starts. it is all how you think and self talk yourself into overeating.

what makes you think once your 21 day detox is over introducing the "bad" food back into your diet you wont binge again???

you wont because in your mind you told yourself since i havent had sugar in a while i will know how to control myself with it if i have just one cookie today.

a drug addict can never introduce that drug back into their life like a "sugar addict" can introduce sugar back into theirs

im sorry you are not getting the answers you want from alot of people but reality is you need to take responsibility for yourself and get some will power and know that one cookie doesnt ruin your day

i use to be the same way

:drinker:
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    There was that recent study (not into looking for it at the moment) that said multivitamins are not necessary, my Primary Doctor backs that one.

I hear this misquoted all the time. The first problem is most people (doctors included, it seems), have simply been reading one particular higher profile editorial written about the underlying studies, without reading the underlying studies. Second, the studies examined whether vitamins would help prevent chronic disease or death...which for the average American, is couch potato Joe. I personally take vitamins/minerals in order optimize performance (the gym, BJJ, life in general) and to look better naked. I don't take them to help prevent [insert some disease].

-Tom
  • jonnythan
    Options
    But in the end, it's the lack of self-control when it comes to foods that are palatable, and palates vary.

Exactly. It's not "addicted to sugar." It's "lack the self-control to moderate the foods I love."

If it were sugar, the "sugar addict" would be unable to control themselves with bananas, sugar packets, and apple juice. It's not "sugar." It's a certain combination of sugar and other things such as butter and flour, usually in baked form (such as cookies and donuts and cake etc), that the "addict" simply finds delicious.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I've been known to crunch up a few sugar cubes in the past. Does this mean I am an addict??

Maybe, but judging by your pics whatever you're doing is working pretty damn well for you. So.. carry on, you addict you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    I can imagine years ago, similar arguments going on about cigarettes and alcohol before they finally determined that yes, they are indeed addictive.

If someone has a problem with a particular food, and as you can tell from this thread, there are very many, then why is it so crucial for some who do not have that problem, and cannot understand it, to make it their life's mission to convince said people that they AREN'T addicted to processed sugar products?

I mean, what is the point of convincing someone that has recognized that for them, they must stay away from certain foods to succeed in weight loss, that NO, they are not addicted to sugar and they MUST have it in their diet or they will surely fail?

They don't have an addiction, which is defined as:

"Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences, or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors.

Addictions can include, but are not limited to, drug abuse, exercise addiction, food addiction, sexual addiction, computer addiction and gambling. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.[3] Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs)"

They just have no self-control.

So when that person listens to you and adds the cookies and poptarts back into their diet, and goes on a week-long sugar binge, gaining back ALL the weight that they worked so hard to lose up til this point, and feels so disgusted with their lack of willpower that they just give up altogether, will you be happy???

SEE? It wasn't a sugar addiction at all. It was just you being lazy and weak minded! You are worthless and have no business being on a site like this with all of the superior people who can have junk food and ice cream and poptarts every day and have never been obese. Why can't all you weak people be like them?? If you just listen to them and do what THEY do, you will be perfectly healthy and the weight will come off so easily! SHEEZ! Some people will never learn.
    From the foodaddictionstitute:

The problem here is obvious. We have a theory, i.e., “suspected” reason, but not yet empirical proof of the serotonin receptor causing physical craving and addiction. There is the need for similar animal and brain imaging studies as we have for the dopamine receptor. Basically, we can see the full scientific evidence for the dopamine addiction to the pleasure center of the brain, but we need further study to see how the clinical experience which would be explained by a serotonin addiction to the pain control center of the brain might actually work biochemically. Of course, the operative word in this last sentence is “might”; this too is speculative, not evidence-based, theory. Another possible (i.e., speculative) theory is that the malfunctioning of serotonin receptors of the brain is a part of the neurochemistry of emotional eating or psychologically-based eating disorders. This should be carefully distinguished from the changes in the dopamine receptors of the brain caused by their contact with addictive foods, i.e., an evidence-based theory of biochemical dependence on specific food(s) or food in general.

http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/scientific-research/physical-craving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

But do you do this?

tJbi2.gif

And where does he get that lighter from?

Or this?

winnie-the-pooh-jpg.jpg
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I can imagine years ago, similar arguments going on about cigarettes and alcohol before they finally determined that yes, they are indeed addictive.

If someone has a problem with a particular food, and as you can tell from this thread, there are very many, then why is it so crucial for some who do not have that problem, and cannot understand it, to make it their life's mission to convince said people that they AREN'T addicted to processed sugar products?

I mean, what is the point of convincing someone that has recognized that for them, they must stay away from certain foods to succeed in weight loss, that NO, they are not addicted to sugar and they MUST have it in their diet or they will surely fail?

"Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences, or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors.

Addictions can include, but are not limited to, drug abuse, exercise addiction, food addiction, sexual addiction, computer addiction and gambling. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.[3] Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs)"

So when that person listens to you and adds the cookies and poptarts back into their diet, and goes on a week-long sugar binge, gaining back ALL the weight that they worked so hard to lose up til this point, and feels so disgusted with their lack of willpower that they just give up altogether, will you be happy???

SEE? It wasn't a sugar addiction at all. It was just you being lazy and weak minded! You are worthless and have no business being on a site like this with all of the superior people who can have junk food and ice cream and poptarts every day and have never been obese. Why can't all you weak people be like them?? If you just listen to them and do what THEY do, you will be perfectly healthy and the weight will come off so easily! SHEEZ! Some people will never learn.

The problem here is obvious. We have a theory, i.e., “suspected” reason, but not yet empirical proof of the serotonin receptor causing physical craving and addiction. There is the need for similar animal and brain imaging studies as we have for the dopamine receptor. Basically, we can see the full scientific evidence for the dopamine addiction to the pleasure center of the brain, but we need further study to see how the clinical experience which would be explained by a serotonin addiction to the pain control center of the brain might actually work biochemically. Of course, the operative word in this last sentence is “might”; this too is speculative, not evidence-based, theory. Another possible (i.e., speculative) theory is that the malfunctioning of serotonin receptors of the brain is a part of the neurochemistry of emotional eating or psychologically-based eating disorders. This should be carefully distinguished from the changes in the dopamine receptors of the brain caused by their contact with addictive foods, i.e., an evidence-based theory of biochemical dependence on specific food(s) or food in general.

http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/scientific-research/physical-craving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Very nice. Thank you! :drinker:
  • Little_Britches_Alpaca
    Options
    You have in your body what is called candida. It is suppose to be there. It helps break down your body after death. But before then it is bad. It loves all sugars. So if your candida is high you will have are harder time with cravings. Candida is found to be the cause of over 200 diseases. You can do a test on yourself to see if you are high. take a little clear cup before bed, fill with water and when you wake the next morning spit in it before you do anything else. the candida will look like long stringy things. It is really gross to see. If you see that you have this or battling with cravings I would recommend a cleanse!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You have in your body what is called candida. It is suppose to be there. It helps break down your body after death. But before then it is bad. It loves all sugars. So if your candida is high you will have are harder time with cravings. Candida is found to be the cause of over 200 diseases. You can do a test on yourself to see if you are high. take a little clear cup before bed, fill with water and when you wake the next morning spit in it before you do anything else. the candida will look like long stringy things. It is really gross to see. If you see that you have this or battling with cravings I would recommend a cleanse!

Just FYI, the whole "spit test" thing is total bunk invented by a guy trying to sell books and natural Candida "treatments," so it was in his economic interest to make as many people as possible think they have Candida.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Also from the Food Addiction Institute site-

"Most people are now aware of the still growing obesity crisis, but few understand that a large portion of this problem is caused by an underlying addiction to specific foods and sometimes to volume of food in general. Initial scientific estimates, according to Dr, David Kessler, former Commissioner of the U.S. Food And Drug Administration, are that about 50% of the obese, 30% of those overweight, and 20% who are at what we consider a healthy weight, are actually addicted to a specific food, combinations of foods or, in some cases, volume of food in general. (Kessler, 2010) At least half of the obesity crisis would be better understood and more suitably named the food addiction crisis."
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The only time that candida was a problem for me was when I took antibiotics. Killing one infection led to another, but I was able to take care of the secondary infection with an OTC creme. :ohwell:
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    Why are some people so thick headed?? I will speak for myself but I'm sure I'm referring to most of the "sugar addicts". When we say sugar, we are referring to sweets, for example, cakes, pies, ice cream, brownies... maybe it's the sugar combined with the fat that makes us want more? Who knows but many of us cannot stop at just one or two cookies. Is it about over eating? I don't think so because I can eat a 3 oz piece of chicken for lunch and be satisfied. I can eat one ounce of pistachios and not want more.

So when we say sugar, stop being so critical and try being a little more helpful. Don't ask us if we can eat table sugar right out of the bag, it's not what we're referring to. It not about fruit either. It's about sweets. What makes many of us able to eat an entire bag of cookies and the person next to us able to stop at two?

Now for me, I can't and won't eat gummy bears or any hard candy and those are loaded with sugar! Is anyone else that way?

so the people that say that its insane to say to make the claim that you are addicted to one form of sugar but not ALLL forms of sugar are "thick-headed"? But the people that say they can eat sugar from one source good (fruit" but all the other source are 'bad and addicted" are somehow smarter…? yea, ok that makes sense…

OP - if i told you I can snort cocaine and am not addicted but I am smoke crack, and am addicted…wouldn't you find that a wee bit strange?

OP - I have been saying this the whole thread..if you truly are addicted to sugar that cut out ALL forms of sugar - fruit, added, and carbs….otherwise you are not addicted to anything and have an overeating issue with said foods that you have mentioned.

Just injecting a little common sense...

I can only respond to this one at the moment. I apologize if you felt I was insulting you or anyone on here by referring to some of you as being thick headed. I do not know if sugar is addicting and I have stressed that before. I do know that I am on day 4 with no "sweets" and it hasn't been easy and I have only given up sweets (fattening sweets) I still use honey in my tea and I still put in an apple when I juice every morning. I don't eat bread, so I can't count that.

I can't answer your question about crack. Do you get the same feeling from crack as you do from cocaine? If you do, then yes, it's silly to say you're addicted to one and not the other.

Anyway, I do know how I feel when I eat sweets and no one can tell me otherwise
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Do you get the same feeling from crack as you do from cocaine?

Crack is cocaine on steroids.

toronto-mayor-smokes-crack-cocaine.jpg
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There was that recent study (not into looking for it at the moment) that said multivitamins are not necessary, my Primary Doctor backs that one.

I hear this misquoted all the time. The first problem is most people (doctors included, it seems), have simply been reading one particular higher profile editorial written about the underlying studies, without reading the underlying studies. Second, the studies examined whether vitamins would help prevent chronic disease or death...which for the average American, is couch potato Joe. I personally take vitamins/minerals in order optimize performance (the gym, BJJ, life in general) and to look better naked. I don't take them to help prevent [insert some disease].

-Tom

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/517S.full?maxtosh%20ow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=apples&searchid=1%20&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

"We believe that the evidence suggests that antioxidants are best acquired through whole-food consumption, not as a pill or an extract."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/6/1060.full

"Fruit and vegetables increase erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase activity and resistance of plasma lipoproteins to oxidation more efficiently than do the vitamins and minerals that fruit and vegetables are known to contain."

Conclusion is that multis are not known to be harmful, but may be (http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/02/21/aje.kwq447.full), but getting vitamins and minerals through diet is preferable to taking one for controlling free-radicals and inflammation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Also from the Food Addiction Institute site-

"Most people are now aware of the still growing obesity crisis, but few understand that a large portion of this problem is caused by an underlying addiction to specific foods and sometimes to volume of food in general. Initial scientific estimates, according to Dr, David Kessler, former Commissioner of the U.S. Food And Drug Administration, are that about 50% of the obese, 30% of those overweight, and 20% who are at what we consider a healthy weight, are actually addicted to a specific food, combinations of foods or, in some cases, volume of food in general. (Kessler, 2010) At least half of the obesity crisis would be better understood and more suitably named the food addiction crisis."
    According to Dr. Kessler..................a writer of books who believes in food addiction. Which doesn't trump the actual study done above because it's based on clinical evidence and not collected numbers from surveys to prove it.

Again I pose the situation: If a true food "addict" was kept from their "addiction" for a good period of time (not long enough to stop craving) and you put the food that they are supposedly addicted to in front of the them, but just even put a little sprinkle of dog poo on top, do you think they would eat it to fulfill their addiction?

I believe food "addicts" may have a disorder, but not an addiction.

IDEA Fitness member