WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie,

I was walking across our driveway, which has a slope, and stepped into the shadows which were coated with black ice. My feet went forward and I landed on my left hip and wrist. Your fall sounds much worse, and your break is certainly much worse. I'm sorry it happened to you and hope you heal swiftly and completely. I still can't do some things that would bend my wrist back and bear weight but I can lift grocery bags and things. Some yoga poses are interesting to accomplish. Good luck to you.

Katla
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump day!The weather is finally warming up,20`s.:love: Violet goes back to school.nervous about the walk,hope it`s not too bad.
    Feel better those who are sick.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    hugs
    jane
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I ate badly yesterday! I was so tired and so hungry by the time I got home from my meeting last night that I grabbed "treat" food instead of "real" food. That's the first time I've ended up in the red on calories in forever! Well, except when I was visiting my parents at Christmas. I have no clue how many calories I ate then! I was eating scramble eggs for breakfast and thinking I knew how many calories I was was ingesting when my mother announced, "These eggs are SO much better since I put butter in them!" :noway: I have stayed on track today so I'm not going to beat myself up for yesterday.

Oh!! I had the most delicious Oreo cookies and cream smoothie tonight! It tasted divine and had only 140 cals
    [/quote]

Carol,can you share the smoothie recipe? Have Jell O Oreo pudding mix just waiting to be used in a smoothie. Pat in Ohio
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,255 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Had a very lazy day, eating too many extra strong mints. Only 10 cals each, but a sugar fest. Not much else tho, but will eat bland tonight. Still not over it, but not having as many accidents.TMI. :laugh: :tongue: :blushing:
    Good TV tonight so will just let myself relax.

Tina - that sounds really scary. Do you have an underlying breathing condition? Hope you feel better soon.

Katla - the barbecue hut is a many sided wooden hut with a chimney in the middle and a hearth for the barbecue. You all sit round the fire. Big windows can be open or closed. In Glasgow the weather is typically wet and chilly, even in summer, and the hut means you can barbecue snd have a congenial gathering all year round. Scotland is also home to the midge which can be a late summer plague, so this also avoids them. I have been in her hut on two occasions and loved it, so much so I considered getting one for us, but they are very expensive, made in Finland.
    I have booked my flights to Glasgow and at least one of my friends is going to get the same planes. I am really looking forward to our jaunt to Edinburgh and the posh lunch.:love::drinker:

Love to all. Heather UK
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Exercising and trying to eat healthy this week. Apparently, according to my food logging, if you eat a lot of healthy food you can still go over your allotment! Ha ha!

I have been super busy the last couple of days. Seems from the skimming of recent posts, I'm not the only one. I took my mom to a dr, appt. yesterday, and she was unable to write her name anymore when she tried to sign in. The little strokes are turning her brain into Swiss cheese. She is peaceful about what is to come, and I am trying to just enjoy the time we have left together, and not be sad.

Jane, in my experience, you are not too old to increase strength and flexibility. I started exercising again in my 50s. First, I was going three times a week to a group that met at a church, and it was a fairly low intensity group. It seemed at first that any infirmity I had was only magnified, and I hurt in places I never knew I had. I thought that was what you got for being old.

After over a year of that, I joined a gym and started taking classes with all the super-fit and flexible people. It made me push myself harder, and sometimes I wondered if I was going to literally survive the cardio classes! Surprisingly, I found that my aches and pains actually started to go away. I became more flexible, and the increased strength supported my joints, and diminished the problems with my knees and shoulder. I am now keeping up with people half my age, but is takes consistency, and getting to know what your body can take. The race belongs to the tortoise, not the hare.

Speaking of rabbits, I can tell spring is coming, because the bunnies are molting. Bunny hair everywhere!
    -Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've just been reading on CNN about the terrible toll the snow and ice are taking on the Atlanta area and the rest of the south. I hope that all of you in that part of the country are keeping warm and safe. Having always lived in Montana and Colorado, I don't pay too much attention to the weather, but I can see how it would be awful if you didn't have snow plows and de-icing equipment at the ready, and didn't have experience driving in those weather conditions. Be safe!

I'm off to the VA with my dad again today. He'll drive where he wants to go, but won't take himself to the doctor.

Kay – How terrible about your wrist! Sending healing thoughts your way.

Joyce – What a nice compliment that your hubby noticed your makeup! There are a lot of great mascaras out there with fibers to lengthen our now short, broken off lashes. I particularly like Diorshow Blackout, Estee Lauder, and newly discovered Glo-Minerals. (Not as expensive, and equally good).

DeeDee – Glad to hear that you’re enjoying the snow! It is beautiful, isn’t it?

Jane in Colorado
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    It's 27*!!!!!!! Sun is shining!!!!!! Went to the Y for the chair yoga for the first time. Really nice teacher. It started out just as imaging things. I was wondering if this was really for me. Then we started the stretching. I know know that's what yoga is, stretching but you're stretching to the max. Ina senior class some is from a chair and other exercises from behind or beside the chair holing onto it. You really feel stretched when you leave. Really nice teacher. I also found out she also teaches the diabetic class at the Y.

My blood sugar was still over 100 but I know now that if I were to put the blood on my old meter it would be less than 100. We went to Cracker Barrell last night and I had 1/2 piece of meatloaf. Today I cut the other piece and cut that in half. still very filling. Only thing is that it is another serving of red meat.

Joyce, Indiana
  • seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Sorry you in cold and snowy climates are having to deal with such a mess, and those who don't normally live in such climates, too!:noway:

Joyce, hopefully your hubby will start noticing more and commenting on it. Sometimes after years of marriage, they need a reminder, and it sounds like yours was so nicely said. Actually, he realized it himself, but you were very nice and honest in your reply.

Kay,so sorry about your wrist! I wish you fast healing, and pain relief!

Tina- that is so scary, and I hope you never have to go through that again! Get well wishes sent your way!

Sylvia,...95 lbs. lost? Wowsie! Incredible!

Pat, I was thinking of my daughter going alone, now, too. Thanks! I am actually thinking that just her thinking of herself doing that might change her mind,....

Katla, I can totally picture our two kids in the same situation as yours in years to come! And, asking her if she is willing to pay for years to come for her adventure now might help my daughter.

I am taking notes from all of your ideas, thanks for all the input, everyone!

Katie, oh, gosh, you, too with a bad break! Fast healing and pain relief is wished for you, too! And to all who are sick.

I have a bad bug, it's in my chest and it started there, and also with bad headache and body aches. Thought I was feeling better this morning, but back feeling punk again. :grumble: Time to relax. My sweet hubby again today said I need to sit and not do anything! He brought me yummy chicken noodle soup last night from Paradise Bakery. :smile: y chic

Heather, so interesting to learn about the barbeque hut!

Kayzoola, thanks for sharing how your journey to working out went. Very nice, it gives me hope!

Healthy, good food day to all!

Nancy
    SeasonsOfJoy
    in sunny Az
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! Sorry I've been boring the last couple of days. :flowerforyou: to all!

Cynthia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Pat, here it is:
    Ingredients

1 cup non-fat milk
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or vanilla greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
    6 tsp. (30 grams) JELLO OREO Cookies and Cream Instant Pudding
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla greek yogurt)
    1/2 tsp stevia, to taste
    1 cup ice
    Instructions

In a blender at all the ingredients and process until smooth.
    Notes

Calories per 1 1/2 cups: 132.6, Fat: .06, Cholesterol: 2.5, Sodium: 257, Potassium: 260, Carbs: 21.5, Fiber: 0, Sugar: 16.5, Protein: 9.6

This is from www.peanutbutterandpepper.com and she has lots of awesome looking smoothie recipes there.

My smoothie was a little higher in calories because I dumped in a whole 5.3 oz container of vanilla yogurt. I'm guessing she measured from a large container. When making again, I will blend everything EXCEPT the pudding mix together first then add the mix. The Oreo chunks get smushed too much otherwise. And I used Dannon Fit and Light Greek yogurt.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle adapting to one-armed living. I have mastered teeth brushing, hair washing and leg shaving (under arm shaving is a little harder). I've been wearing elastic waist pants to make the bathroom easier. But the bra has been the biggest struggle. DH, bless his heart, just can't seem to master getting mine on. So, I had this bright idea that. I needed the Genie bra. He reluctantly went to CVS to purchase one for me. To make a long story short - my idea was not a good one! I've got it on, but the little pads that are supposed to be support under your breasts are on the top of my breasts. Oh, my! I'm glad there is no video of us trying to get me dressed. Talk about embarrassing!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    drkaite, I am so glad I went to the bathroom before I read your post. I am very sure I would have wet my britches. I did scare my cat off my lap by laughing so hard. Why can't men master putting a bra ON!!!! I have never seen the genie bra but I know how I felt when I was trying on a little T at Kohl's the other day and it had a shelf bra in it and was kind of tight and the shelf bra was didnt' quite make it under my boobs. Good luck in your struggles there.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie -- what a mental image I have now! Genie Bras don't do many gals any favors. It isn't surprising DH can't figure out how to help you get the bra on, since they spent so many years figuring how to get them OFF. :wink: If it is a back fastening bra, attach the hooks in front and then slide/turn the bra around and slip your arms into the straps. I'd suggest a sports bra but they can be buggers to get in/out of.

I came home well before dark and the roads refreezing. I'm so grateful I don't have to traverse the interstate unless I choose to. DH needed a little tow up the last hill getting out of our neighborhood area and onto the main drag. A kind pickup truck driver provided the assist. Their pharmacy closed early so he was home in good time as well. The sun helped a good bit today, yet those areas that remain shaded will be icy until our bigger warm-up on Friday/Saturday. On my way to work there were two separate jackknifed tractor trailers and a bunch of cars on the side of the roads. I'm glad this is not our usual weather. After many years of living in the NYC metro and driving/shoveling, etc. every winter, I can say I don't miss it!

Before I left home this morning I put pork loin slices, new potatos, onions and carrots in the crock pot with some cream of mushroom soup. It was delicious tonight!

How interesting about the BBQ hut. I can picture it.

Gail, metro ATL
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Well I had great exercise today in a most unusual manner! It’s not in the database, so I’ll just pretend I burned all calories I ate today! We had the main water line into the building break at work. It is a huge pipe that in case of fire, delivers 500 gallons a minute! The fire alarms went off, I went downstairs (I’m on the safety committee) and found Niagara Falls in the lobby. I worked for about an hour hand carrying all the linen from the skills lab (downstairs, in the other building) up to the floor so we could build dams until the water main ran out of water. I made about 7 trips doing that, did a little shop vac-ing, then picked up all the soggy linen to throw in a barrel. Wonder what that weighed? We had a partial ceiling collapse, throwing even more water in the area, so then I helped moved furniture out of the entry area. The fire department took almost 40 minutes to turn the alarms off because the water fried an electrical panel too. Then I went home and passed out!!!!!

Teral: I love the idea of the cards for the speech! That is one great group

Seasons of joy: I wouldn’t use the weather as a deciding factor. As long as the college meets your other requirements, I’d let her go. Of course you can always use the in-state tuition as a requirement! That’s just my opinion though!

Gail: I heard about all the horrible weather you all have been having down there. I hope you stay safe!

Jane: I will have to look at a map! Lunch would be grand. I think we are heading to Silverton and Ouray area.

Barbie: sending good wishes to Jake

Carol: butter in eggs! Wow that would pile on the calories but I do bet they were delish!

Kay: so sorry about your fall and break! I hope you are healing quickly and feeling better soon! Ok so what on earth is a genie bra???

Michele: you can ask your doctor for an endometrial biopsy or pelvic ultrasound. I hope it’s nothing to worry about, but if you’re concerned, keep pushing. Did they check your hormone levels?

Joyce: what a wonderful compliment!

Heather: I so hope you don’t get sick!

Tina: hope you get better soon!

DeeDee: all my dogs have just loved the snow. One would make snow tunnels and would disappear for several minutes when it was deep, then UP she’d pop! I bet you had fun

Alison: get over that headache!

Sylvia: good news on the weight loss. Great times with the young one!!! Glad your daughters are getting some good therapy

Katla: I don’t mind the cold at all, and I love snow. Ice is another thing. It’s been cold but dry. We are supposed to get a little snow Friday and Saturday. I have the best coat from Lands End…rated to -35 degrees so I never get cold in it! How did I not know you had a fall or did I just forget!

Laura: I bet Colorado is just gorgeous this time of year

Margaret: are you sad to be renewing your license for the last time?

Ok I have read all the posts referencing the Genie bra and still don’t know what it is, but once I tried on a dress that had an attached slip and got totally tangled up in it. I called the sales lady and she and I ended up in a pile on the floor from laughing. It was twisted all around in the weirdest way and I simply couldn’t get in either on or off.

Well dinner is ready so I’m off. Take care everyone. Meg in Omaha where apparently the Genie bra does not live. :tongue:
  • jenero52
    jenero52 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh ladies!!!! It's wonderful to laugh with you after a tough day!!
    re the Genie bra - I had a similar experience when I tore my rotator cuff - TOO TOO funny!!! I found that stepping into it and wriggling it up worked the best . However, my mom tried it and got it to her hips where it would not budge! Now THAT was funny:) Speaking of my mom, she was in for an ultrasound today after having a shadow on her mammogram. I couldn't go with her due to finals. My sister was able to go but it was hard for me not to be with her. She will get results tomorrow. She's 3 hours away and insisted that she did not need company tomorrow and will be perfectly fine. I do hope so.. Positive thoughts/prayers welcome!!
    It was brutally cold here today -40 with wind so did NOT walk the dog. By the way - the photo is what was seen when the door was opened one morning. We used the other door!:bigsmile: Shovelling is good exercise at least.

Stay warm all - and :drinker: water water water
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Seems like I've tried to read (well I read but I tried to absorb and retain) several times this afternoon and evening and even thought I might have posted....but I didn't.

Add me to the crappy eating club today. Not horrible and totally out of control but certainly nothing to be proud of.

Also add me to the "doing the happy dance to 15-20 ABOVE ZERO temps" this afternoon. Looking forward to a balmy 20ish tomorrow. Biggest and best happy dance that I'll FINALLY be sending my child back to school. Assuming they go both tomorrow and Friday, it will be a grand total of 12 days for the month of January. What's so had is that he's not looking forward to going back one itty, bitty bit. He'd rather stay home and go to my school and my gym class and he even wants to see MY after school basketball tomorrow (but he won't). HOW does a 7 year old boy not look forward to being around other kids??? Hard for someone like me to understand because I've always thrived on being around others (not so much now that I'm old and crabby).

Looking forward to tomorrow so I can get my eating back on track, get a good workout in and get some work done.

Feel better battered, bruised and broken!

Gloria from Metro Detroit
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    The genie bra thing is hilarious! I can't imagine trying to put on a bra without using my hands. It reminds me of the first time hubby saw me putting on a pair of control top panty hose. You ladies know what a struggle it is to get into those things. I got them about 2/3rds of the way up and hubby's expression made me laugh so hard I could barely finish getting dressed. He said very gently, "sweetie......I don't think those are big enough." I laughed till I cried! I did, in fact, get them up, and they did fit. He was pretty sure they wouldn't.

The kids were over for dinner and just left. The 7year old wants me to teach her to crochet, so I was trying, but she just wasn't getting it. Her little fingers just weren't cooperating. She was trying, though.

So now, hubby is snoring on the sofa and Bruno is snoring on my lap, so all is right with my little world. I hope you are all having a great night.

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: We’re coming to the end of January…..it’s time for us to assess the goals and resolutions we’ve set for January and make plans for what goals or resolutions we’ll set for February….time also to start making a plan for ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day without candy and food treats.

:flowerforyou: On Friday evening I’ll start a new thread for February, so be looking for it.

:flowerforyou: We’ve had rain here all day. The dogs and I saw two deer and lots of quail while walking. The daffodils and peonies we planted in the fall are just starting to peek out of the dirt. The days may still be very short but there is a hint that spring is on the way.

:flowerforyou: Katla and Katy, when I fell on October 29, I didn’t break anything but I my back hurt like crazy for a month. I was able to walk and dance a bit from the start but had to give up strength training and haven’t gotten back to it yet. It was hard to go from walking 28,000 steps a day to lying down with an ice pack six times a day, walking no more than 20 minutes at a stretch and sitting down for part of my dance class. It is a truly spiritual experience and great lesson to be patient while recovering and I wish you both the best on your journey.

:bigsmile: Jake is feeling a bit better today but he stayed in bed or the recliner most of the day except for his two shifts of dog walking and taking out the garbage.

:flowerforyou: I got a call from the line dance teacher awhile ago. She asked me to teach the whole class again on Friday because her 92 year old husband got a bad cold and while walking with his walker, coughed so hard that he lost his balance and fell. She doesn’t want to leave him alone. I’m sorry that her husband is ill but thrilled to be able to teach the whole class again.

Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ..23,000 steps today ----

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. ~Confucius
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Nancy - did you say that your daughter got scholarship money for AZ? If so, should she go to Ohio and then change her mind, would that tuition money for AZ be lost because she didn't take it?

Joyce - hope it isn't long for hubby to see the doctor he wants to see. AMT stands for "adaptive motion trainer" It's really a cross between an elliptical and a stepper, but I think you need to use the arms more than on a regular elliptical. Google it, you'll see pictures.

Tina - glad you're feeling better and hope it lasts and that dh is wrong (they usually are, anyways...lol)

DeeDee - I'd say we probably got about an 1 or 2" of snow. From looking at the long range forecast, it's supposed to be in the 50's this weekend and then in the low 60's Sunday. When I get new glasses, I usually keep the pair that I had previously but the ones I had before that I donate. Bet after Noel rolled around in the snow, you had to blow dry her and she loved it. Maybe that's why she decided to roll in the snow -- so she could get blowdried.

Gail - I've heard so much about how hard Atlanta got hit. Keep safe

Sylvia - please don't misunderstand me, I'm in no way trying to trivialize your granddaughters situation, not one bit. But it's interesting how things have changed. After my mother died, I never got any kind of grief counseling. Actually, in some ways, her dying when I was so young was really more of a blessing in disguise for me. I'm going to be interested about your skin question. I was thinking that just this morning. Wonder what Amanada has done? I know that I don't have a whole whole lot of loose skin, I'm sure others have more. But I just don't like the looks of that loose skin that I do have. Congrats on being so close to Onederland

Jill - have you ever made that hot choocolate? Do you know how much it makes? For the first time, I'm wondering if I maybe shouldn't just halve the recipe Again, thanks for the recipe. Update: I made it by halving the recipe. It fits into a mason jar, so I'll use that right now.

Here's the latest on the reclast precertification. Seems that when I called the other day, someone from Aetna called the MD office, gave them the precert's dept #, the MD office called them directly. I just called the insurance co (I sure can be a pain, huh?) and they said they don't need any further info. It hasn't been approved yet, but the gal expects it will be approved by the end of the week at which time they will call the MD office. If I don't hear from the MD office, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be calling them.

katla - I can remember the last time we had white rice in our house. That was when Jessica was training the service dog, I had to give it to the dog. That must have been about 7 years ago. I can't even remember the last time we had white rice. Oh, I make that Knorr rice and side for Vince sometimes, but I don't usually have it. It's only 1:00 and we don't have our paper yet. Tomorrow we'll probably get today's and tomorrow's. Let me tell you, we get snow so very infrequently, people don't have any idea how to drive in it. Some of them think "oh, I have 4 wheel drive, I can go anywhere"...not!!!! But the good thing is that, as I say, they're very religious about their snow down here. They feel "God put it here, God'll take it away". Fortunately, He takes it away quickly. I, too, am hoping that this bleeding is "my last hurrah" I'm going to give the MD the benefit of the doubt. Admitted, I did see my general practicioner. but should it happen again, you can bet that I'll be at the OB-GYN's office in a heartbeat.

Being in the house, I made things for Vince for dessert that I can freeze. Tried the chocolate cake. Don't know if I'll ice it or not. Then made brownies (I really wanted to use more of that tofu), these M&M pan cookies, now I'm making chocolate chip cookies. Also, cooked up a pound of bacon in the microwave. I tell you, I absolutely LOVE those silicone mats for making cookies, love, love, love it. Makes cleanup so much easier

Margaret - good for you getting in all those courses and it not costing you anything. You rock,

drkatiebug - how horrible about your wrist. Hoping for the future.

Did an hour of Kelley Coffee Meyers 30 minute Workout DVD. Actually, I always did the step part twice to get in an hour's workout, but today I decided to give the plyometric part a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it wasn't as high instensity as I had feared. That part was 30 minutes and the step part was 30 minutes.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the "10 minute Slimdown" DVD, the one that was defective and they replaced. Vince looked at it and this one doesn't have the gouge in it that the last one did, so I'm thinking that this one will be OK.

kay - cherish every minute you have with your mother.

Joyce - so glad you had such a good experience with the yoga. After taking yoga for years, I'm FINALLY able to touch my hands behind my back (the right hand is over my head in a tricep-type stretch and the left hand is reaching up for the right hand). I told you I was VERY inflexible. Can't do that yet on the left side, but I can on right (sometimes)

Katie - can you put your bra on backwards, hold it in front of you with one hand and with the other hand fasten it, then with the good hand turn it around?

Meg - oh what a sight! After all you did, it's no wonder that you passed out! Right now the doctor didn't really do anything. But I tell you, if this bleeding happens one more time, it's to an ob-gyn that I will go, no fooling around. I'm a patient person, but I WILL NOT fool around with this. Vince said he couldn't get over how patient I was with the whole reclast incident, but not when it comes to my health. I remember years ago I tripped over Bryan's hockey stick and fractured my ankle. I really didn't think anything about it. Then a few months later I was getting up off the bed and my ankle totally gave out on me. I KNEW something wasn't right. I kept on insisting on a bone density test. the MD I was at at the time kept saying "we don't recommend them for women who haven't gone thru menopause yet". I was such a pain, I honestly think she ordered by BDS just to shut me up. Was she ever surprised when it came back that I had osteoporosis. I just knew that something wasn't right. So trust me, I will be a real pain. I may ask you (if I need to) again which tests I should ask for. I hope I won't.

jenero - good thoughts for your mom

Gloria - you must have wonderful homeschooling talents for your son not to want to go back to his regular school.

Sylvia - were you trying to teach your gd to crochet with thread or yarn? I'm just a real beginner, but I find yarn to be easier to work with

Michele in NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your prayers for Thelma and myself.
    God gained another angel tonite.
    Hugs jane