not sure i can do it.....5k that is

12346»

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    The only way to train for a 5K in the house is to get a treadmill. Sorry. No other activity really works as a sub for running. I suppose you could run laps around your living room.

Another option is to run on your lunch break at work.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Echoing the last bunch of posts, but either you want to do this, or you don't. If you don't, then don't. If you do, find a way to take some of the good advice you've been given.
    1. You can't train to run a race without running. Period. So if you want to do this, accept that and make that your mindset. You can cross train with other exercises, but you have to run
    2. If you can't run indoors, either on a track or a treadmill, then you have to run outdoors.
    3. It sounds like it's not that cold where you are, I'm up in Minnesota and people run outdoors all through the winter. It's the ice and snow covered roads that forces me inside, not the temperatures.
    4. Either take your child with you, or find someone to watch her for 30-45 minutes three times a week. That's not a significant time period. Find another parent and trade days so she can have the same time while you watch her child on alternate days.
    5. Bottom line is that there are ways to do this, people train for races with busy and difficult family situations all the time. Either be determined to do it, or decide not to do it, but there is no middle ground. You can't half do it only if it's convenient, that will never work
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    You seem to have come up with lots of reasons not to make it work. Can I challenge you to find as many solutions as possible to make it happen? It's fine to ask for advice, but none of us know the exact details of your particular, seemingly very confusing situation, so maybe take some responsibility yourself now that most of us have suggested a handful of things only?
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    I have read all of your comments to make sure I fully understand your situation and here are the three solutions I could think of:

1. Buy a treadmill (in none of your posts have you stated that this wasn't an option).

2. Find an indoor track. Are there any universities or colleges in your area? Since you live in a "small hick town" maybe not, but I go to to a University indoor track to run on really cold days, but when the weather hits at least the 40's then I run outside in long pants and a long sleeved shirt.

3. If your child is young enough that she can't be exposed to the cold, she is probably still young enough to be taking naps. When you put her down for her nap, bundle yourself up and run around outside your house, up and down your street. Still be close enough to make sure that the house doesn't catch fire and no one is breaking in, but get the experience of running outside and getting your body used to that feeling.

Would any one of these options work for you?

I just did the same thing, thinking these three options were pretty reasonable pieces of advice. Especially #3 in combination with wearing a baby monitor as suggested by another reply. I'm eager to hear if any of it is appropriate for the OP.

I just started C25K as well. I love running outside for pleasure, and have for a while now, but I figured some structured training would improve my stamina and endurance. I'm in Alberta Canada and it is darn cold here right now, so I started going to the local rec centre and running indoors there. I got tired of paying drop-in fees just to run on a treadmill for half an hour though, so my boyfriend offered to go halfers on a used treadmill so I can run inside. Just keep actively seeking options, and something will fit! However, if nothing ever seems to fit, there may be a reason for it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    When I was 8 years old, I walked a 5k for charity. Took about an hour if I recall correctly? Maybe 50 minutes?

That's really all I had to share.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Since your husband is encouraging you to run the 5k in April, perhaps you could explain to him that this will be a commitment of 30 minutes 2-3 times a week and see if he has any insight into how to make this happen.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    If you're winded easy now, then you may want to plan on more than 8 weeks.

This shouldn't be a problem. It just means that she's going too fast. Learning to slow down is part of the C25k program. Unless she has exercise induced asthma.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    and wow people on here talk like drill sargeants.....you would think pals would be encouraging and uplifting

People here speak nothing like drill sergeants ... even to people making excuses who could use that type of talking to.

:drinker:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    If I didn't know better I would be starting to suspect that we've all been trolled.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    nelson mandela ran the equivalent of seven miles a day in his cell during his incarceration.

if you want to find a way to truly train for this race, you will.
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    I disagree with lots of the posters. I started running 5ks in October 2012. I have completed 13 races now, 11 5ks and 2 obstacle courses. I do Zumba 3 to 4 days a week and that is my only "training" for running. Do something in your house to get your heart rate up, DVDs, Youtube has lots of exercise videos you can watch, etc. The more in shape you get, the more you will want to do and the easier it will get. If you are on MFP, then you have internet access. There are loads of resources online to help you get fit. Trust me, once you start feeling better, breathing better, and gain some confidence in your exercise abilities, you will find the time to do what you need to do to be the best employee, mother, wife and person that you are capable of being.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    If you think you can't, you can't. If you think you can, you can.

I agree with the others that say bundle up and get outside and start pushing!

Good luck!
  • I have been doing my run training in the mall I work in the administration office and before work is the best time I like to do it, besides I would rather go somewhere running rather than the treadmill. and I will be running a 5k every month in a rec centre that has a track until its warm enough to go outside. Think outside the box :) I know you can do it! :smile:
  • Our local middle school, opens their indoor track to those of us that like to walk. For me it's awesome, I must start training for a 5K myself/
  • wildgirls2111
    wildgirls2111 Posts: 7 Member
    Do you have steps you can go up and down? Or just walk around in the house but keep moving!! I love C25K app that is how I trained for my first 5K and I was NOT a runner at all. Good Luck
  • Uhhh, I've been training for my half marathon in legit negative degree temps and snow. Saturday, I ran in 5 inches of snow. I came home and had to drain melted snow out of my running shoes.

Like someone above me said, you either want to do it or you don't.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Get a workout video that you can do at home that gets your heart rate up and start building your cardio endurance inside while it's too cold to run outside. Any day that it's warm enough to go outside, go out and run / walk for at least half an hour. You can use the C25K app if you want but you won't be able to advance much until you can use it consistently. If you sign up for the 5K in April, don't set the goal of running the whole thing the first time. Set a goal of running a mile of it or using whatever level of C25K you are on to run / walk it.

I did three 5K's last year after not exercising at all for 30+ years. I started training with C25K in February and pretty quickly injured myself because I advanced with the program, which was too fast for me. After 2 months of physical therapy I started running again in April. This time I did each week of C25K twice before advancing to the next stage.

The first 5K was May 5 and I ran about 1/2 mile of it and walked the rest. The second was July 4 and I ran almost 2 miles. The third was the end of August and I ran the whole thing. Just finishing a 5K after years of being sedentary is a huge accomplishment so just go for whatever you can do!