WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Michelle in NC,
    My daughter got $17,000 a year at the Chicago school, but total tuition and fees are over $35,000, plus room and board of about $10,000. For the AZ school, she received $9,000 a year, which is almost the entire tuition and fees, and then there's room and board, about $10K, also. And that AZ scholarship does go away if she doesn't take it the first year. So, there's a lot riding on this.
    I am really sick with one of the crud germs going around, so signing off.
    Nancy in AZ
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wizziewig- I like the photo of your dog. I had a "dog" that was a wolf and german shepherd mix...at least that is what I was told. Talk about a smart dog...she was so intelligent, it was scary. Lovely animal and what a wonderful companion.

Update!
    Two pipes burst in bathroom on second floor..
    Water leaked in to first floor sunroom and living room.
    Ceiling in living room collapsed.
    Hardwood floor warped.
    Walls and wallpaper ruined in sunroom.

Water is off in bathroom.
    Plaster being used to repair ceiling.
    Plaster dust EVERYWHERE!!!
    House is a construction zone.

Sewage stack burst in garage. It is presently a post of rock solid ice.
    Pipe in apartment over garage burst.
    Icicles hanging from ceiling in garage.

Did the 30 Day Shred tonight.
    Good night all.
    Susan
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions on how to get my bra on. I always snapped in the front and twisted it around pre-injury but I was afraid if DH did this, I wouldn't be able to get the broken in in. It has a splint that goes all the way from my hand to my elbow to keep me from bending it. That's the same issue I have with the stupid genie bra. You are supposed to step into it and pull it up.

I have one sports bra that I bought pre weight loss that is actually a size too big. He has the best luck with it. My Wacoal bras - no way have I even suggested he try them. Getting into them will be good physical therapy for me when I'm on the way to recovery.

And now I've decided it is the ahh bra I was thinking of that would be perfect for me, not the stupid genie bra that I sent him out for. The genie bra is more about pushing you into shape. The ahh bra is more about comfort. Both are "as seen on tv" bras that have infomercials. No way am I sending him out for a different one!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    oh wow! Kay I missed your earlier post about your fall. The bra dilemma does present its issues. It seems like when I was going through all my surgeries (in 2007, old news) that I just went without one. The image I can conjure up for my hubby helping me is quite comical and more than I could have tolerated at the time. Sure hope you can find someone nearby to help you out with the ahhh bra. And take care of yourself. No more tumbling. :smile:
  • texasgal22
    Options
    katla, I don't think you will find too many interesting parts in the SOTU address. It would be so refreshing if our government would cooperate among parties and actually do some good for the country. Bringing in an individual's story here and another there really doesn't persuade me that things are looking up. And like most, I have my concerns on the $10.10 minimum wage. Enough said; you probably already skimmed the headlines. :laugh:
  • texasgal22
    Options
    Meg the bingo cards really did help me keep focused which is hard to do for those political speeches. I already commented on your profile about the day's adventure with the water break but I still think that you did an awesome job. If I ran up those stairs they'd probably have to carry me out. :bigsmile:
  • texasgal22
    Options
    Jane in Colorado, are you any where close to Westminister? I'm going to be up there in March. My step-daughter is giving birth to her first child in March. If weather permits perhaps we can meet-up.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    well i am up ,dont want to go to the gym because I have to go get blood drawn(fasting) drive 35 minutes away to do this ,all to save 250.00 on our health insurance.
    cant have my lemon water, cant have my Tea oh well I can handle it.once I am done with that ,going to get a screen protector for my phone. my case has left Flushing, New York ,im guessing to Portland,but dont know if I will get it today or tomorrow,but to keep it safe right now ,you will all get a chuckle ,I am keeping my phone in a mitten. It keeps it from getting scratched until I can get my case.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

I have absolutely no time for anything today! Eek!

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Janemartin- hugs for you ((((♥)))).

I am still suffering from the tummy bug, but managed to get through my gymming, with runs to the bathroom every 20 mins!:frown: :ohwell: I lay on the bed with the resistance bands to do a bit of strength training. :tongue:
    Feel washed out, but I hope I'm on the mend.

Will try to do some memoir today as luckily we haven't anything planned.

Susan - what a catalogue of disasters! Horrific! So sorry for you.

Meg - you are a heroine!

Love to all. Heather in damp Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Jane Martin:smile: So sorry to hear the sad news about Thelma:sad: ! Keeping you in my thoughts!

Michele:smile: Look at all that baking you did:love: , I`d probably gain weight just from the aromas:laugh: ! Hope you finally get the approval, insurance companies are so hard to deal with:angry: ! Noel does love to be blowdried:laugh: !

Barbie:smile: Hope Jake is feeling better:flowerforyou: !

Susan:smile: Oh my gosh...what a disaster:frown: !

Meg:smile: sounds like you were one busy lady cleaning up! Would not be my first choice for exercise:tongue: ! Hope you got some much deserved rest!!!

Alison:smile: I think keeping your phone in a mitten is a fabulous idea:happy: ! Good luck with your blood tests:flowerforyou: !

Heather:smile: Glad you`re feeling a bit better, hope you feel brand new soon:flowerforyou: !

Margaret:smile::drinker: sharing my water with you:bigsmile:

Kay:smile: I almost spit my coffee on the computer screen reading about your bra "adventure":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !

It is 8 degrees outside:noway: :frown: . I am done with winter, just wish winter was done with us! Noel was not as excited about the snow yesterday, she just stood there looking around and then looked at me as if to say, "and just where do you expect me to pee?" At least by lunch time some of the snow had melted and evaporated on the driveway, she wasn`t about to put her little feet in the snow again:noway: . I actually got a lot done working from home yesterday, didn`t have as many interruptions as I have in the office. I also got some laundry done:laugh: ! I will be venturing out this afternoon for a meeting, but this morning I`m staying put until the sun is out and melting some of the refrozen ice!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee freezing in NC
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning you Lovely Ladies :flowerforyou:

Cannot stop to read right now I am off to see my Dr..have to leave early because it is a half hours drive..and the roads are slippery this morning :noway: The car freezes up inside so that makes for a lovely trip...have to go have that checked :grumble:
    Will drop in later..till then you All take Care:smile:

Liz fr Halifax NS (Canada)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Waiting to hear news of Thelma`s service.
    I miss her already.
    Have a good one.
    HUGS
    jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, all

We hit a low of 2 degrees early this am, our low was "supposed" to be 14; sorry, we just don't do that..........in the 33yrs here, never had anything that low. It was 6 when I was feeding my birds. DH called off work; doubt if he could even get out of the neighborhood----there's no such thing as snow plows coming into the neighborhoods here; just do the interstate and a few main arteries.............how they expect people to get to those main roads is beyond me. A car was spinning tires in front of our house last night, couldn't even get to the end of the street.

Margaret..............May your "Betsy" keep fighting on and keep you warm; had a super dog named Betsy for many years............every time I read your "ten thousand petrified frozen lakes" I both smile and shiver!

Heather.........Glad to hear you are on the mend. BBQ hut sounds warm and that sounds great these days!

drkatie..........Got a good laugh over your bra story.

Meg..........WHAT a day.............you sure deserved a good nights sleep.

jane............My condolences to you on the loss of Thelma.

Nancy............Hope your crud is lifting and you feel on the mend.

Susan..........Good grief---what a nightmare! Hope you are able to get it all resolved.

I'm supposed to go do some volunteer work tomorrow afternoon, but its looking doubtful at this point.........this ice is not going to be near melted. Saturday is Linda's memorial.

Wel, off to get breakfast and another day of reading and Netflix..............seriously considering a mug of hot chocolate already.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    How sweet exermom, but I'm pretty sure he was blowing smoke up my behind because he just doesn't like going to school. I was so careful about the school I chose for him because I know, while he loves an audience, he's not a big "get lost in the crowd" kind of child. He's one of those "spirited" boys, who also happens to be highly intelligent. I sent him to a charter Montessori school that would have been a perfect fit, if not for the fact that they're simply not Montessori. Looking into the possibility of moving him next year but have to be sure it's going to be an improvement for him....and something I can manage financially. :ohwell:

I say not being able to put a bra on is the perfect excuse to NOT put one on.....says the A-B cup momma who lives for the moment that mine comes off every day.

Workout done. Need to go catch up on my food tracking and review my goals/accomplishments as suggested.

Enjoy your day!

Gloria from warm and balmly 10 degree Metro Detroit
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Greeting from the snowy North,

Jane so sorry about your friend Thelma.:heart::flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie we have more experience with the kind of weather you are having, but it has been a difficult winter up here too. We have six inches today of new snow and the deep freeze will be back tonight. I hope you are able to make Linda’s memorial.:flowerforyou:

Liz feel the cold you are experiencing. Hope it gets warmer for you too and that you have a good Dr. visit.

Deedee :drinker:

Susan so sorry about your pipes bursting. :sad:

Nancy prayers as your daughter and your family make a decision towards college.

Joyce hope those blood sugar numbers are coming down for you.

Meg you certainly got your exercise. So sorry about your pipes bursting at work.:sad: I still have a year and a half before I officially apply. I just like to get my hours done early.

Barbie reflecting on the past month goals, preparing for next month

Michele glad to hear you advocating for yourself. Have you asked your Dr. about fibroids? They cause heavy bleeding. They shrink in menopause and no longer cause a problem. If you or your Dr. think it is something more serious there are ultrasound tests to check your uterus. To ease your mind talk to your Doctor about having one.

Working a half-day today in the afternoon, so I don’t have to drive in the snowy rush hour. Working to stay on track with diet.

Goals’
    Limit TV, computer
    Communication/contentment
    Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Goodmorning Ladies, have been trying to keep up with all the posts, its like a movie I have laughed, cried and had some omg moments.
    Jane sorry for the loss of your friend
    All those with dreaded bugs take care Dh has had a relapse with his stomach bug not nice
    Our weather is down right balmy -6 is great at least you can go outside if you can find the road snowbanks are high this year
    Wishing everyone with injuries to heal quickly take care we are fragile!
    Thoughts and prayers to all

Juanita in sudbury
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: Your “unusual exercise” sounds like a lot of hard work. No wonder you went home and passed out. I hope you aren’t too sore today. I’m pretty sure you knew I had a fall, but it was early December. I’m just now getting back to doing more of the active things I like to do. I like a little snow now and then. We didn’t get much this year so far, and the weather seems more like typical Oregon January/February weather. We had more clouds and some rain today.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Your story about putting on control top panty hose is priceless. I remember wearing those back in the day. Times have changed for the better. Perhaps I’ve just stopped doing many of the things I didn’t like.:laugh:

Barbie: Thinking ahead to Valentines Day and have some calorie free ideas: massage, manicure, pedicure, flowers, new pretties to wear… I’m glad Jake is beginning to feel better, and happy for you that you get to teach line dance.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Regarding loose skin, mine is diminishing. The worst places for me are my inner thighs and are hidden by my clothing, thank goodness. They’re getting better and I’m looking less like a deflated balloon. They look fine when concealed by pants. I hoped to do some weight training to improve things faster but falling and hurting my wrist put that on the back burner. I laughed about the snow being God’s problem to solve. When it snows here the main arterial and feeder streets are usually plowed but neighborhood streets are left in God’s hands.:wink::flowerforyou:

Jane: I’m sorry for your loss.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Susan: It sounds like you’ve had a lot of damage because of the cold. I am sorry for that. You did the 30 Day shred though, so you’re taking care of your health. I admire that.:flowerforyou:

Kay: Is going braless at home a possibility? Huge bulky sweaters when going out? I have some of those really stretchy t-shirt/shelf bras for yoga and I think you could get into one of those even while wearing your cast. You'd need more than one on at a time for the level of support a bra gives, but they do control the bounce and jiggle.:flowerforyou:

I tried to post this last night but the site crashed so I saved it for this morning. Sorry if I’ve missed anyone. Be safe and stay warm.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sending warm thoughts to those fighting cold weather and sickness
    Katla and dr katie may you heal soon
    Thanks for bringing smiles to all of us with the amazing bra story
    Michelle glad you r fine according to the doc.
    Keeping you all in my prayers
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I just found this thread, so I guess I'll introduce myself. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in Chester County. I'm 51, turning 52 in a few more months. I've been married (and divorced) twice and am currently living with my boyfriend of four years. I work full-time at a trucking company (40+ hours a week, sedentary job at a desk).

We have two dogs, two cats, and as of late May last year, I am care-taking for my eldest granddaughter who is turning age 8 next week due to issues in the parental home. (That's the nice way to put it. Frankly, my daughter appears to have become a marginally-functional alcoholic and her behaviors, choices and actions have put her two daughters at risk).

I have the eldest one; the baby, born in April 2013, is with my daughter's spouse, who went back to live with his parents after being married to my daughter for two months.

I'm trying to lose weight for several reasons; in no particular order of importance:

1. I want to feel physically better than I do - I want better stamina (no easy feat, since I have asthma); I want my knees to feel better (again, not easy, as I had significant knee injuries when I was 14 that left permanent damage); and I want my back to stop hurting (I was hit by a distracted driver in April 2013... requiring six months of physical therapy for neck and back injuries - including herniated and bulging discs - and now ongoing chiropractic treatments). I'm hopeful that losing weight will help.

2. I'd like to be able to buy clothes that fit me right - I'm five foot, zero inches and should weigh about 120 pounds, give or take five pounds. At my worst, I was hitting 195. This morning, I weighed 169.

3. Since I am care-taking for my granddaughter turning 8 next week, and this may end up becoming permanent, I need to try to live healthier (and presumably longer with a better quality of life) since I have a dependent child in my care. While no one knows far in advance of when they are going to die, I'd like to try to be there at least for the next twenty years of her life - and not be a burden on her when I am hopefully eventually "advancing in years".

4. My employer conducts an annual wellness exam, tracking us for markers of metabolic syndrome. Anyone with three or more markers has to make significant changes and attend classes or else face increased insurance premiums and/or higher deductible/copayments. Waist size is one of the markers; I need to get my waist down below 35" to remove that marker from my employee file. Money is already tight; I don't need it to get tighter with insurance and medical services costing me more.

Harriet