Lifting weights dilemma

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm sure I will probably upset a few people by saying this, but if am nervous that if I keep lifting weights I will get bulky. I feel that everyone who says "no, you won't get bulky" actually is, especially in the upper thighs. I was very lean a few years ago (5'4 and 110), and I'd like to get back to that weight. I'm nervous that if I keep lifting weights I will get bulky and not achieve my desired physique that I know I am capable of. So my question is, how do I achieve it? I normally do yoga, but I'm not sure that will burn fat quickly enough for the time being. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    5'4 and 110? I'm 5'5 and 110 would make me look like skin and bones, I don't think 1 inch would make THAT much of a difference. Anyways, that's just my way of saying that's one heck of an unreasonable goal.

According to your profile, you have 40 lbs to lose. I'd cut that in half, personally. Just my humble opinion. Sorry, no advice for the "bulky" worries. If your definition of bulky is anything other than skin and bones, don't think many people here on MFP are gonna be able to help you.

Sorry if this sounds harsh :flowerforyou:

edit to add that I noticed in another post of yours that you want to lose 40 lbs by May? Eek. yeah, that's not likely. You might be able to lose 2 lbs a week initially, but that will slow to 1lb or even .5/lb relatively quickly. Please re-evaluate your goals. You don't want to get caught in a vicious cycle of trying to lose weight too fast and doing unhealthy activities to achieve that goal.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You mean being borderline underweight and having your ribs showing.. Just stop lifting then... I mean you don't want to get bulky eating 1200 or less calories..
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are feeling! lol

I do no want bulky thighs. I see that on some women who lift weights and constantly hear the, "you won't get bulky song."

To each their own but for my own I do not want those kind of legs.

I can see myself getting those kind of legs because I do kind of have shapely legs already.

But I would say what someone told me just watch your body composition closely. If that starts to happen then cut back and create another game plan.

I will say not all women who lift have bulky legs some have lean but I am assuming it depends how heavy they are lifting.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I just completed a weight lifting / strength training program. Yes, it builds muscles. But for women, that makes you lean. We can get bulky if we add certain supplements (or even testosterone :noway: ) but our natural reaction to weight lifting is to GET LEAN.

I'm no "expert", but I've done a lot of reading up on it and have had my own experiences with it, so that's my input.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have been purposefully trying to get "bulky" over the last 3 years. I have managed to gain lots of muscle, but unless I'm flexing I just look fit.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I will say not all women who lift have bulky legs some have lean but I am assuming it depends how heavy they are lifting.

I squat over 200 pounds and deadlift over 300. Wouldn't call my legs bulky, but maybe you would. My entire family has thick thighs and calves. (This picture was taken a few days before my bodybuilding competition, one I took first in for women's heavyweight)
    20130309_163710_zps6a8f333e.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So just do what you did a few years ago?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I feel that everyone who says "no, you won't get bulky" actually is, especially in the upper thighs.

Don't confuse definition - possibly flexed - with bulk.

What ever happened with your trainer? Did you speak with him about your concerns?
  • mmillerdba
    Options
    Just keep your weights low and your repetitions high and you shouldn't get "bulky". Building "bulky" muscles generally requires that a) you lift weights A LOT, and b) that you lift heavy weights (generally in the 6-12 repetition range). Lifting lighter weights in the 15-20 repetition range will sculpt and tone your muscles, but you shouldn't get much more muscle mass.

PS - 110# for a healthy 5'4" woman sounds a little unrealistic. Just my $0.02.
  • Sreneesa
    Options

I squat over 200 pounds and deadlift over 300. Wouldn't call my legs bulky, but maybe you would. My entire family has thick thighs and calves. (This picture was taken a few days before my bodybuilding competition, one I took first in for women's heavyweight)
    20130309_163710_zps6a8f333e.jpg

I have thick thighs and calves as well... that is why I said shapely above in my comment.. and I was looking at your pics and was going to come on here and compliment your legs.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You mean being borderline underweight and having your ribs showing.. Just stop lifting then... I mean you don't want to get bulky eating 1200 or less calories..

Shes looking for advice and trying not to offend I don't understand why you are being sarcastic towards her. Its just not necessary

You're not going to get bulky. Your just going to get fit and toned. Relax and take it as it comes. If you feel you are getting to a point where you aren't comfortable scale it back.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same as you. Honestly, for most of the before & after weight lifting pictures on MFP for women, I prefer the before picture. I just think it's a nicer look.

I'm also 5'4, currently 116lbs trying to lose a few more, so pretty much the same goal as you. And I'm FAR from 'skin and bones'.
  • carminaaa2014
    Options
    I totally understand what you are feeling! lol

I do no want bulky thighs. I see that on some women who lift weights and constantly hear the, "you won't get bulky song."

To each their own but for my own I do not want those kind of legs.

I can see myself getting those kind of legs because I do kind of have shapely legs already.

But I would say what someone told me just watch your body composition closely. If that starts to happen then cut back and create another game plan.

Thank you for understanding! I would rather be chubby than have bulky legs
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I do feel for you, too. Actually lifting weight does change a women's body...not necessarily "bulkier" but people do notice. My relatives say I look more muscular which I still don't know how to take it...especially my ultimate dream is to look "thin", not anything else...
  • Sreneesa
    Options

Shes looking for advice and trying not to offend I don't understand why you are being sarcastic towards her. Its just not necessary

You're not going to get bulky. Your just going to get fit and toned. Relax and take it as it comes. If you feel you are getting to a point where you aren't comfortable scale it back.

That's what gets me about some of you. Someone comes on here and has a genuine concern about HER BODY and just because she doesn't want the same type of shape as some of you, you want to get mad and become insulting! Newsflash the world doesn't revolve around what YOU want.

Irks the crap out of me. smdh
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself. I'm 5'2" and weigh around 101 pounds or so (I'm very small framed). I lift heavy weights and have been consistently for close to two years now. If you think my thighs are bulky, that's just how they are naturally (they measure 19.5 inches). My calves are slim. My waist is 23 inches and my booty is 34 inches. Lifting weights has made my thighs slimmer and firm. I like the results. I particularly love hip thrusts and deadlifts. I wear a size 00, and while this may be from widespread American vanity size (in some stores the 00 is too big), I'm certainly no bigger than a size 2.
  • carminaaa2014
    Options
    I'm feeling the same as you. Honestly, for most of the before & after weight lifting pictures on MFP for women, I prefer the before picture. I just think it's a nicer look.

I'm also 5'4, currently 116lbs trying to lose a few more, so pretty much the same goal as you. And I'm FAR from 'skin and bones'.

Thanks and I totally agree! Congrats on your weight loss, and how did you lose weight before?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    5'-4" @ 110lbs... Sounds a little light to me. I would think that it would be very thin...too thin. 5'-4" @ 120-125 sounds better and healthier IMO.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I think "fit" is a subjective term too. My friends say I definitely look fit just because I no longer have those jolly fats hanging everywhere but they also see me very “thick" and "muscular".
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Just keep your weights low and your repetitions high and you shouldn't get "bulky". Building "bulky" muscles generally requires that a) you lift weights A LOT, and b) that you lift heavy weights (generally in the 6-12 repetition range). Lifting lighter weights in the 15-20 repetition range will sculpt and tone your muscles, but you shouldn't get much more muscle mass.

WHY WON'T THIS MYTH DIE ALREADY?!

While the 6-12 range is generally considered the bodybuilding range, a powerlifting routine (which lifts heavier though in the 1-5 rep range) doesn't build bulk, not even in men.

Additionally, especially as a woman, you can't build muscle size accidentally. The people that do intentionally build muscle size (men and women, alike), do so with a very, very specific workout and diet, aimed specifically at doing that, and it still takes years of dedication.

Compare Staci's before and after shots and try saying she's in any way, shape, or form "bulky" - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/