Guest Speaker today at my work - what I learned

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member

At this point he did a really cool demonstration where people pushed their pointer finger against their thumb....and he would not be able to pry the two apart.....but then they would touch a processed food and he could pry their fingers apart.....This is because of the negative energy floating through these processed foods.......The only one it didn't work on was me.....He said that the Luna bar I was touching must be pretty good and it must be because of all the soy in it that I didn't lose as much strength. Amazing!!!

He also did another demonstration where someone held up their arm and he couldn't push it down.......he touched on his chest (heart) and it was still strong but when he pushed on his abdomen (liver) he could push the arm down so he must have a liver problem.........He brushed his hand down the patient's back a few times and then repeated the test and could not push the arm down.....His liver is on the way to recovery.

This is the same trick (and yes, it is a trick) that those "magic bracelet" people use. Go look up applied kinesiology.

http://www.skepticblog.org/2010/09/23/power-balance-magical-energy-bracelets-or-nonsense/

We do a 'trick' in Aikido that's similar. Basically holding your arm out straightish (not completely straight as your asking to hurt your elbow ) and people try and bend it further. If you focus your ki (energy) it's really hard for the other person to bend it. It's not completely mumbo jumbo. It's also a good introduction to the concept of ki.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I demand a

droz1.jpg
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    :laugh: Oh thank you, I needed a laugh today.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    thank you for posting. I thought it was interesting.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    thank you for posting. I thought it was interesting.

Thank you Chatnel. I am glad that some people are open to new things and not always so closed minded.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Well that was entertaining.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I feel really dumb that I sit at a desk all day and probably make a lot less than this guy.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    How da hell are people allowed to stand in front of an audience with no apparent knowledge of the subject at hand? I'd be fired from my job in a hurry if I did that.

He's a doctor.......and a nutritionist.

OZ.jpg
  • Aly51313
    Aly51313 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Your comment about the apple made me curious. I found this article you (and others on here) may find interesting about how we have been breeding the nutrients out of food for thousands of years -- and a few ideas for recouping some of these phytonutrients. I realize it's the NY Times, written by an author who wrote a book about the topic, and not a science journal, but it is interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    lol.

To be fair, #11 WAS accurate for me. It was thanks to too much wheat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I want to know who invited this person to speak... and if they still have a job?

That was my question.

Never trust a doctor that has a name that rhymes with kranski.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Joint pain is from your diet?? I have lupus which is a auto immune disease that attacks your joints causing painful joints, I don't think my joint pain is caused from my diet.

Another Lupus sufferer here also. My Dr put me on an anti-inflammatory diet as what you put on the inside of your body directly affects your immune system and the Chronic illnesses attached with it.

I have no joint pain as long as I eat no grains and severely limit sugar. I also have to severely limit night shades for the same reason.

When I do have anything of the above, I have a flair and feel horrible for several days.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Here's the thing, a lot of his information had partial facts and there was a smattering of natropathic medicine in there which would make it seem a bit more believable.

However, I found a lot of this stuff to be unsupported in proper science. His cured liver example... he probably applied some acupressure, however the liver meridian is on the side of the body not the back... that was more likely bladder that he touched on. And even if it was the right meridian I wouldn't take his word for it that "he's on his way to being cured" without proper medical testing.

As for the cancer feeding off sugar bit... don't you think if he knew how to fix cancer he'd be famous and cancer would be being eradicated as we speak??

Nutrition and metabolism and the body in general are so much more complicated than he made it out to be, you can't make general statements such as you can only eat this many grams of fat per day etc. Every BODY is different, what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for you.

As for the supplements, there is a ton of research and published studies that found supplements to be less effective than getting them through real food. Even if the supplements are using real food, the process that turhns them from food into supplements can change the chemical makeup of things and make them less able to be absorbed by the body. Generally for those who have a deficiency of certain nutrients supplements can help to fill in the holes, but I wouldn't rely on supplements to fix the problem. We all know that eating more fresh fruits and veggies will make you healthier. The fact that he took the time to mention that the brand that he just so happens to sell is one of the only brands that is worth spending your money on makes me pause and think on it.

As for your comment that people aren't happy with whatever we post. Chiropractors aren't required to have medical background. They're much more informed about the bones and muscles but they don't have the background in nutrition nor do they have the extensive background in diseases and the body like an MD would. I wouldn't trust the source since he's not giving you information on fixing biomechanical issues, but cancer and nutrition.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    BUMP for later.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    I feel very cheated. I slept 8 hours last night and didn't lose an ounce.
  • Jacwhite22
    Here's the thing, a lot of his information had partial facts and there was a smattering of natropathic medicine in there which would make it seem a bit more believable.

However, I found a lot of this stuff to be unsupported in proper science. His cured liver example... he probably applied some acupressure, however the liver meridian is on the side of the body not the back... that was more likely bladder that he touched on. And even if it was the right meridian I wouldn't take his word for it that "he's on his way to being cured" without proper medical testing.

As for the cancer feeding off sugar bit... don't you think if he knew how to fix cancer he'd be famous and cancer would be being eradicated as we speak??

Nutrition and metabolism and the body in general are so much more complicated than he made it out to be, you can't make general statements such as you can only eat this many grams of fat per day etc. Every BODY is different, what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for you.

As for the supplements, there is a ton of research and published studies that found supplements to be less effective than getting them through real food. Even if the supplements are using real food, the process that turhns them from food into supplements can change the chemical makeup of things and make them less able to be absorbed by the body. Generally for those who have a deficiency of certain nutrients supplements can help to fill in the holes, but I wouldn't rely on supplements to fix the problem. We all know that eating more fresh fruits and veggies will make you healthier. The fact that he took the time to mention that the brand that he just so happens to sell is one of the only brands that is worth spending your money on makes me pause and think on it.

As for your comment that people aren't happy with whatever we post. Chiropractors aren't required to have medical background. They're much more informed about the bones and muscles but they don't have the background in nutrition nor do they have the extensive background in diseases and the body like an MD would. I wouldn't trust the source since he's not giving you information on fixing biomechanical issues, but cancer and nutrition.

Some good points....though keep in mind he is not JUST a chiropractor.....he is also an ACN.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • Jacwhite22
    I feel very cheated. I slept 8 hours last night and didn't lose an ounce.

And I bet you ate more than 9g of sugar yesterday......your argument is invalid.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    I think I already said I don't agree with all of what Dr. Oz. says, I don't agree with a lot of this, in fact Dr. Oz has gone to the level of "quack" for me after reading this, let me give this post a review:
    1 - The adrenal glands handle all stress and they can't distinguish between physical and mental stress. Being stressed releases cortisol which makes you store belly fat.
    Yeah, maybe. People with thyroid disease like me have adrenals picking up the slack for the thyroid when necessary and in that case they NEED cortisol. One size does NOT fit all, I am not sure that size fits everybody else either, what if you have some other medical condition, or maybe you just don't manufacture too much cortisol? Just because it CAN happen, does not make it a given...I give this one thumbs down.
    2 - Fat burning only occurs during your deep sleep at night.
    Ok, have you ever been on a low carb diet? Even on a controlled carb diet like mine, you go into something called ketosis, which means FAT becomes the main fuel for your body, which means your body is running on FAT, it obviously does not do this JUST at night, what do you do the rest of the day, die since your body cant' burn any fat to function? Way thumbs down on that one.
    3 - Sugar is bad.....awful....Wheat bread should be considered a dessert because it is a 71 on the glycemic index
    Bad, awful? Oh brother, too much sugar is obviously toxic, it is called type 2 Diabetes, but cells use sugar, let's look at the science instead of outrageous claims. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/2013/07/15/is-sugar-really-toxic-sifting-through-the-evidence/ Although I definitely think too much sugar is bad, so are all or nothing claims like this, way thumbs down!
    4 - Actually.....all grains are bad. It's a worthless food group and every grain should be considered a dessert
    No food group is worthless, this sounds like something a snake oil salesman would say...way thumbs down!
    5 - You have to eat 25 apples today to get the same nutritional value from one apple in the 1940s.
    SO, what you are saying, you should eat something SO good for you because it has less nutritional value than 70 years ago? BTW, I don't believe that for a second anyway, but the whole point is absurd, we are not dealing with 1940's food, we are dealing with NOW, and you know what they say about an apple a day. Okay, don't have the fiber and get diverticulosis or colon cancer instead, have a nice time with that...way thumbs down!
    6 - Cereal companies take all nutrients out of the grain and then spray it with 6 synthetic vitamins and minerals....that's what enriched and fortified means.
    Uh huh, they do that with organic cereals too? Every cereal is made that way? What a bunch of tripe, not even going to bother with this one...way thumbs down.
    7 - You really need to watch carbs and sugars. Calories don't really mean anything. All the good doctors (like Dr. Oz) say your body doesn't really know calories....It just knows hormones.
    You need to watch total calories, net calories, and fat, carbs, sodium and sugar intake, at a minimum, ALL are important, to follow that advice I could eat as much salt as I want, to heck with high blood pressure and heart attacks, eh?...way thumbs down!
    8 - You should only eat a max of 72g of carbs and 9g sugar per day.
    My diet has more carbs than that and I am losing an average of 5 lbs. per week, and many would say that is too much, although I am sure it will slow down, especially since I am sick this week and can't exercise....way thumbs down.
    At this point he did a really cool demonstration where people pushed their pointer finger against their thumb....and he would not be able to pry the two apart.....but then they would touch a processed food and he could pry their fingers apart.....This is because of the negative energy floating through these processed foods.......The only one it didn't work on was me.....He said that the Luna bar I was touching must be pretty good and it must be because of all the soy in it that I didn't lose as much strength. Amazing!!!
    How hokey can you get, I think this has made Doctor Oz go down many rungs in my opinion, he is scraping the bottom with this...way thumbs down!
    He also did another demonstration where someone held up their arm and he couldn't push it down.......he touched on his chest (heart) and it was still strong but when he pushed on his abdomen (liver) he could push the arm down so he must have a liver problem.........He brushed his hand down the patient's back a few times and then repeated the test and could not push the arm down.....His liver is on the way to recovery.
    Oh BROTHER, who needs enzyme tests, CAT scans or MRIs? We can just go around pushing people's arms down and find out all...NOT, what are we back in the 1800s with snake oil salesmen? Way thumbs down!
    9 - Everyone needs 5 supplements....He went through it so quickly I didn't catch them all but they included multi-vitamin, multi-mineral and fish oil....along with two others.
    Gee, well good thing THAT isn't so important since you missed it...way thumbs down!
    10 - All supplements are not created equal....Vitamin Shoppe/GNC/ETC are cheap supplements and don't realy make a difference. He sells one in his office though called Standard Process and they are amazing. The others are made from oil/tar and are petroleum based products but the ones he sells are from real foods.
    OMG, he says everybody's supplements but HIS are bad and you take this as gospel? That is it, never watching/reading anything to do with Dr. Oz again, gee no SELF interest involved here...way way way way way way way thumbs down!
    11 - Joint pain is pretty much always caused from poor nutrition.
    HURRY! Run and tell all those people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, especially juvenile rheumatoid arthritis sufferers that if they change their diet POOF, they will be all better! Wow, talk about snake oil...way way way way way way thumbs down!
    12 - Detoxing is great but only if you are up for it. You need to eat right and exercise first before starting your full body cleanse. He did a detox once when his body wasn't ready and ended up with hyperthyroidism. He started eating right though and it fixed itself.
    Detoxing and diet do not cause or cure thyroid disease. A bad diet may not help anything, but is sure as heck can't cause it or cure it, I say this as a person WITH thyroid disease. What a bunch of bolonga...way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way thumbs down!
    13 - You should only eat 3-4 oz. of protein at a time. Any more than 4 oz. and the remainder is immediately stored as fat instead.
    That is what I eat on my diet, 3 for lunch, 4 for dinner, but even though that I what I eat on my diet, I can appreciate my husband would need a lot more, and I myself plan to eat more once I am on maintenance. That is the amount you eat to lose weight, it does not follow that you will gain weight if you eat more, it depends on your TOTAL diet, which the majority of experts agree should include some grains....way thumbs down!
    14 - Juicing is great....watch the fruits though. Only 3.33 C (max) fruit per day and 10C vegetables per day (min)
    There is a big difference between different types of fruits, so a blanket statement like this is BS. My diet differentiates between fruits (that I can have on it) and the amount I can have depends on the fruit, because it makes, you know common sense...way thumbs down.
    15 - If you are trying to lose weight eat your fruit late at night before you go to bed so you can burn off all the fruit sugar while you sleep.....Otherwise you have to burn the fruit sugar off first when you exercise.
    My diet has me eating the fruit for breakfast/lunch, and I already mentioned the weight I am losing...way thumbs down!
    16 - You should do a parasite protocol every year because 9-10 people have parasites inside of them.
    Although there are some natural cures that work in SOME cases to rid people of parasites, usually you need the drug that does the job. I don't think it is a good idea to diagnose yourself with anything...way thumbs down!

OK, overall I give this post a way way way way thumbs DOWN! What a bunch of unscientific and unsubstantiated bulldookies!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    How da hell are people allowed to stand in front of an audience with no apparent knowledge of the subject at hand? I'd be fired from my job in a hurry if I did that.

So we can assume you are not a government employee :)

BAW HA HA HA HA

I see you.

And what you did. and total utter truth.

LMFAO.

3 days of training- one of the presenters literally read 50 slides to us the other one clearly knew what he was talking about but was a little outdated and oh- gee- about 75 years old.