your worse or humiliating experience when fat?

Options

Replies

• AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My family were commenting on my weight-gain behind my back when my little cousin (3yrs old) overheard and started saying "amy fat" over and over. The worse part though was my aunty encouraging it and other relatives finding it hilarious.

Family can be so harsh! When I was little, my dad used to call me "Oinka-lita" And my grandmother asks me all the time if I would consider getting a gastric bypass.
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When a friend of mine from 9h grade who moved saw me at walmart and her first words to me were. "Jodi, you got really big." I might have been big but that comment made me feel really small. I seriously cried.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    in high school I had a group of older boys yell Beach ball at me, and when I tried ignoring them, they would yell my name is a beach ball. very loud, most kids laughed including some teachers. Saw one of the guys at a bar when I was older, and same thing, I guess some people never mature and grow up!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It was more what people DID than what they said, for me. I commute to work a long distance (50+ miles), so I ride a commuter train, and people would always, without fail, avoid the empty seat next to me. I guess they thought that I'd "crush" them or something. It was actually pretty embarrassing. And one day, I saw people STANDING on the train rather than take that seat - I was like, "Oh, come on, I can't be THAT bad." Only... well, yeah, I was that bad.

105+ pounds lost later, and now everyone seems to pick that seat first instead of last.

People gave my husband looks, too. (He's 5'8" and 160 pounds.) At the time we got married, I was nearly double his weight and I would just cringe when I saw people looking at him. I KNOW they were thinking, "Why her, he could do so much better." :sad: Bless my husband, though, he NEVER thought that or even paid attention to other people.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was driving with the windows down and stopped at a stoplight when I heard something coming from the car next to me. There were two guys in their 20s in the car next to mine and they were looking at me saying "moo!!" When I instinctively looked over, they said "How's it going cow?" and mooed at me until the light changed. I was so devastated that it crushed my self esteem and made things worse for me for a while. People can be so cruel. That experience just sticks with me. So simple, but so traumatic.

OMG, what jerks. I know exactly what you mean - it's little things like this that we relive over and over again, isn't it? :embarassed:

I use those kinds of memories to fuel me at the gym, you know what I mean? I remember what people say to me - and we DON'T ever forget - and it makes me so angry that I work out THAT much harder. Sort of like, "Oh, yeah? I'll show you, you #!@$^%!"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    One of the first ones I remember is being around 14 yrs old and about 180 lb, which is actually my current goal weight...anyway, I wore size 12-14 and I went to a stupid sales party thing with my stepmother (who was about a size six, and petite) and her friends (mostly small women, all over 40 yrs old). It was for these tacky (even for the late 80's!) bejeweled tops and dresses, and I was just there to hang out and wasn't interested in the clothes and then one of the women told me I should check it out because they even had plus sizes that might fit me. Like I said, I was just a teenager! And at 5'8" and a size 12 or 14 so not really that fat, either, and generally didn't need the plus size section. I was so embarrassed, I wanted to crawl into a hole!
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was driving with the windows down and stopped at a stoplight when I heard something coming from the car next to me. There were two guys in their 20s in the car next to mine and they were looking at me saying "moo!!" When I instinctively looked over, they said "How's it going cow?" and mooed at me until the light changed. I was so devastated that it crushed my self esteem and made things worse for me for a while. People can be so cruel. That experience just sticks with me. So simple, but so traumatic.

OMG, what jerks. I know exactly what you mean - it's little things like this that we relive over and over again, isn't it? :embarassed:

I use those kinds of memories to fuel me at the gym, you know what I mean? I remember what people say to me - and we DON'T ever forget - and it makes me so angry that I work out THAT much harder. Sort of like, "Oh, yeah? I'll show you, you #!@$^%!"
    YES!! I just started kick-boxing and those guys have gotten some symbolic roundhouse kicks to the face!
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I was out for dinner with customers at a somewhat swanky restaurant. After a few beverages, I noticed the chair in which I was seated was crunching a little bit. I kept rocking and loosening the chair more to the delight of my audience, and eventually snapped the chair and went sprawling to the floor. The table erupted in laughter and the guests at the other tables were just mortified. I could just hear them thinking to themselves..."Look at that fat guy. What a slob."

I hadn't thought about this again until I read this thread.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The time when I was 18, tried to go on my favorite roller coaster at Busch Gardens in VA when I was on vacation. The lap bar thingy wouldn't lock over my thighs. I had to do the walk of shame off the ride, in front of hundreds of people. I've never been so embarrassed in my life.
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    On honeymoon sitting in the foyer of my hotel with my husband and receiving my pictures from our photographer and I couldn't believe the big elephant staring back at me I actually was mortified with my husband there as we were so excited to get them and although I knew I wasnt small I didnt realise I was so big, I was embarrassed because I knew we would have load of people asking to see them when we got home.
    That was the wake up call for me.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My brother's brother deciding, less than an hour after burying my dad, while in the middle of eating at the repast, it was the perfect time to remind me of how fat I'd gotten since the last time he saw me.

But thankfully (or not) I barely had outward teasing, bullying, and such. My most detrimental feelings about being fat almost exclusively generated from a constant, self perpetuated loathing.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    when out shopping with my absolutely gorgeous fit younger sister the girls working at one of the stores was laughing at me and pointing out that I should not be in that store

my sister told them they were *kitten* :smile: and we left

people just in general loved to humiliate me or act like I did not exist

but this had nothing to do with my losing weight btw
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is really what prompted me to join MFP. I work in a factory and I went to lean over to look at a machine and my pants ripped right at the butt! Luckily I had some decent undies on, but it was embarrassing....

I've owned those pants for ten years (since high school) and I guess I was in denial because I "always fit in the same pants", although my muffin top was starting to show. On MFP, my food diary is showing me that I'm not eating as healthily as I thought I had been (rude awakening)
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The difficulty of buying clothes for the last 3 years and then a few months ago when someone mentioned to me that I should consider getting gastric bypass surgery. That offended me because I never thought my weight was that much of a problem. I guess have just been ignoring the elephant in the room.
  • CindyCabrera2013
    CindyCabrera2013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So if you ask me what my most humiliating moment is, it was failing in front of my kids for so long. Last year on May 5th my daughter and I went for a walk and I couldn't even walk around 1/4 of the block. I gave up, told my daughter we needed to turn around because I hurt too bad to continue. That was the moment I told myself I had to do something if not I would be failing myself and my children/family. I expect alot from my kids so why is losing weight so different? On May 6th I started my journey and here I am today 50+ lbs healthier and working out at curves. Beyond proud of myself and now I can stand straight with a smile on my face with the confidence I never had. I feel amazing about myself and will continue this journey although I still have a ways to go...but no one is stopping me now :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I decided to go to a gym and start getting into shape. They had little curtained areas for one to dress in, and they had a small metal foldable stool for sitting on. When I sat on it, it completely collapsed and broke, and sent me sprawling! How embarrasing! At that time, it did not send me on a quest for getting in shape, but rather set me back to the point I just hid and ate for the next several days! I was soooooooooo depressed! But that was then, this is now, and I'm back on track! :blushing:

Oh no! This reminds me of when I was a 13 year old fat kid. I took my first trip to Europe with 13 other students and some chaperones. We were in Paris, in an old 2 star hotel, and they overbooked the room for the boys. There were 5 of us, but only 4 beds. Well, shy one that I was back then, I didn't speak up for one of the beds so I was given a roll in bed. The box spring had wood, not metal, supports. In the middle of the night the wooden supports break, cracking with a LOUD sound, not once, not twice, but THREE times. I could hear a couple other boys snickering in the darkness.

So embarrassing. Looking back though, while I was a fat kid, my weight was such that a typical size adult male would have encountered the same problem. But I was already so, so self concious about my weight, and the bed breaking was just a nightmare of shame and embarrassment.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've never been really truly over weight. I've just always been "thick"

I remember at a business thing- we all went to big locations for a country wide meeting- and almost everyone brought their kids- so we met lots of other kids from all over- and we were in the pool and someone said I had thunder thighs. :(

That didn't impact me too much because under water- everything is distorted.

But when I was in high school- or freshman college- I was making a saddle with my friend (the expert) And it's custum fit to your butt.. and we were fitting it and he was like- well you have to do THIS because you have a bubble butt- and it needs to fit this way.

This was about 2 years before I realized bubble butt was a good thing (I come from a typical skinny white flat butt back ground).. but it shook me up pretty badly- I didn't eat well for a while.

I have issues occasionally shopping for pants feeling fat because all the pants don't fit- but that isn't my fault. that's theirs for making crappy ill fitting pants!!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I work in the health care industry and take peoples heights/weights all the time. For the longest time I've been bigger than a lot of men I speak with :(

My husband recently told me he's worried about my health in the long run. He doesn't want me to end up like my mom.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    One more thing, a "look" can be worse than words. At some point, I quit keeping track of my weight. I think I hit somewhere near 250 lbs on my 5'5" frame, before I came out of my funk. The "look" was common, when my husband and I would go out to eat. He does not have a weight issue. I felt the "look" of disapproval no matter what food choices I made. Who knows the "look" I am talking about?

I know the look. It's the one that says "as a fat person you shouldn't be eating that" or "Yeah right, you didn't get fat by eating salad"

My moment was when I was shopping for my niece/nephew when my sister was heavily pregnant. I was in the baby section and a women asked me when my baby was due because I looked close to popping point.
    The humiliation of having to explain I wasn't pregnant brought me to tears.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One more thing, a "look" can be worse than words. At some point, I quit keeping track of my weight. I think I hit somewhere near 250 lbs on my 5'5" frame, before I came out of my funk. The "look" was common, when my husband and I would go out to eat. He does not have a weight issue. I felt the "look" of disapproval no matter what food choices I made. Who knows the "look" I am talking about?

Oh I know that look. Here's what's going through their heads.

"Look at that fat guy eating a hamburger! Happy heart attack, fat boy!"

"Look at that fat guy eating a salad! Not working for you, is it, fat boy?"

Oh this. This a million times!!!

It is a can't win revolving scenario. I used to weigh nearly 300 lbs btw. I have experienced this side of the spectrum and the other. Wait until you hit, maintain and exceeded your fitness goals. It will get just as odd and you will still be hearing comments like, "Can you eat that?" or "Are you supposed to be eating that?" It will evolve to more of a personal inquiry latter on along the line's of " Is this healthy?" or "Can I eat this?" In regards to 1000's different food items people around you stumble upon on any given day. Remember these four phrases because you will be hearing them so often they will one day make you want to puke.