Am I the only one who feels awkward squating?

Options

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Use your powers for good. If I am doing goblet squats (or any other variation that doesn't require a squat rack), I go set up in front of the leg machines. Now every day is leg day for one guy or another. :laugh:
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Rests for heavy sets can be upwards of 10 minutes long. What the hell else are you supposed to do- play candy crush?

I've never heard of anyone taking 10+ minutes of rest in-between sets. At that point, you may as well eat a meal and take a nap too. Everything I've ever read or been told says that you're resting too long. Perhaps this review could be illuminating (& related source material):

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/factors-affecting-the-length-of-the-rest-interval-between-resistance-exercise-sets-research-review.html

Here's the summary:
    Summing up this review, practically folks may manipulate rest intervals for different goals according to the following guidelines:

-Maximal strength training: 2-5 minutes between sets. Possibly shorter when intensity is above 90% and reps are three or less.

-Testing 1 rep max: the paper recommends short rest of 1-2 minutes. From a real-world perspective, I’m not sure I agree with this as a general rule.

-Muscular power: generally 3-5 minutes although shorter rests of 30-45 seconds can be used with very short sets (multiple sets of doubles and triples).

-Hypertrophy: the paper recommends incomplete rest intervals of 30-90 seconds but I disagree somewhat with this. I feel that both complete and incomplete rest intervals have their place in hypertrophy training.

-Muscular endurance: Short rest intervals of 30-60 seconds performed in circuit fashion.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll just fart up a storm while I squat and clear out the gym. Then NO ONE will watch me. (:<

Judging by your profile pic, I seriously doubt that's going to work....maybe eat a lot of beans or something, but I don't think they'll care.

Ditto
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Rests for heavy sets can be upwards of 10 minutes long. What the hell else are you supposed to do- play candy crush?

I've never heard of anyone taking 10+ minutes of rest in-between sets. At that point, you may as well eat a meal and take a nap too. Everything I've ever read or been told says that you're resting too long. Perhaps this review could be illuminating (& related source material):
    :huh: I'll be sure to tell my husband that while he's working on getting that 500 lb. deadlift with his coach. The coach is super-smart, and has the science! Do I trust him over Lyle McD? Yes, I do. And I have nothing against Lyle.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Maybe the treadmillers are self conscious and think you are checking them out.

The key to lifting in focusing in on what your going about to do through the entirety. The setup is just as important as the act.

Try not to fart...

.. loudly. And if you do, give the guy next to you a dirty look.
    "Ewww! Did you fart?!" --"No!" --"Musta been me...:devil: "
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options

:huh: I'll be sure to tell my husband that while he's working on getting that 500 lb. deadlift with his coach. The coach is super-smart, and has the science! Do I trust him over Lyle McD? Yes, I do. And I have nothing against Lyle.

Arnold Schwarzenegger writes about rest periods in his book (The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 1998; pg. 148):
    RESTING BETWEEN SETS

It is important to pace yourself properly through a workout. If you try to train too fast, you risk cardiovascular failure before you have worked the muscles enough. Also, you may have tendency to get sloppy and start throwing the weights around instead of executing each movement correctly.

However, training too slowly is also bad. If you take 5 minutes between each set, your heart rate slows down, you lose your pump, the muscles get cold, and your level of intensity drops down to nothing.

Try to keep your rest periods between sets down to a minute or less. In the first minute after a weight-training exercise you recover 72 percent of your strength, and by 3 minutes you have recovered all you are going to recover without extended rest. But remember that the point of this training is to stimulate and fatigue the maximum amount of muscle fiber possible, and this happens only when the body is forced to recruit additional muscle fiber to replace what is already fatigued. So you don't want to allow your muscles to recover too much between sets - just enough to be able to continue your workout and to keep forcing the body to recruit more and more muscle tissue.

There is one other factor to consider: Physiologists have long noted the link between maximal muscle strength and muscular endurance. The stronger you are, the more times you can lift a submaximal amount of weight.; This means that the more you push yourself to develop muscular (as opposed to cardiovascular) endurance, the stronger you become. So maintaining a regular pace in your training actually leads to an increase in overall strength.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Powerlifters vary in how much rest they take between sets, with world class folks resting from 3 minutes to over 10 between sets. I personally took the philosophy that it's essential to always hit your planned sets and reps so I would wait long enough between sets to do just that. That was usually 5-6 minutes for me. Some of the guys advocating short rest periods (3 minutes) would say you're out of condition if you can't hit your sets and reps with those short rest periods and that you should work on your conditioning. The meets I did never moved so fast that conditioning was ever an issue for me...
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't care at all. People can look all they want. Make 'em feel awkward and stare back... harder.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Just give us old guys a chance to warm up our knees first before yah judge, okay?

I'm with you on that although it's not my knees that take time to warm up, it's just about everything else. I can't even get to parallel after warming up unless I've got enough weight on the bar to push me down there. ;)
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I know squats are super important. But as soon as I catch someone looking at me while I squat, back on the treadmill I go! I get weirdly self-conscious about it. Please tell me I'm not the only one hahaha

Uhhh how are you even noticing this? Are you using weight that's completely trivial for you?

I'm genuinely confused. I don't think I'm ever more focused or unaware of my surroundings at any point in my waking hours than during a set of barbell squats.
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do all types of squats. Jumping squats, barbell squats, pile squats, deadlifts...etc. etc. and I don't think twice about it. I even dance while I workout, oh well! :laugh:
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do mah pooping at home, my dogs judge me but whatever. Bravo to all the gym pooping ladies!!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I know squats are super important. But as soon as I catch someone looking at me while I squat, back on the treadmill I go! I get weirdly self-conscious about it. Please tell me I'm not the only one hahaha

Uhhh how are you even noticing this? Are you using weight that's completely trivial for you?

I'm genuinely confused. I don't think I'm ever more focused or unaware of my surroundings at any point in my waking hours than during a set of barbell squats.

Yeah, same here. The room could be on fire and I wouldn't know it until that barbell was re-racked.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I can't do squats at the gym anymore. Its jut too weird that when I squat everyone in the gym just starts touching themselves and moaning my rep numbers.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    And by touching themselves and moaning I mean they want to have sexual intercourse.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    With my power rack, because my mother furking 4 plate squat is SEXy
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    Biotches
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    Sorry...I'll stop ...its the weird in between time when you are waiting for your friend to get over to your house so you head out. But its like one of those friends that says he'll be 15 minutes but you know it will be at least 30 because he does weird strange **** getting ready...but even 30 minutes is not enough time sometimes so you kinda just don't put on your nice shirt until he shows up because you might spill something on it.....so yeah, how about that weather?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Arnold Schwarzenegger writes about rest periods in his book (The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 1998; pg. 148):
    RESTING BETWEEN SETS

It is important to pace yourself properly through a workout. If you try to train too fast, you risk cardiovascular failure before you have worked the muscles enough. Also, you may have tendency to get sloppy and start throwing the weights around instead of executing each movement correctly.

However, training too slowly is also bad. If you take 5 minutes between each set, your heart rate slows down, you lose your pump, the muscles get cold, and your level of intensity drops down to nothing.

Try to keep your rest periods between sets down to a minute or less. In the first minute after a weight-training exercise you recover 72 percent of your strength, and by 3 minutes you have recovered all you are going to recover without extended rest. But remember that the point of this training is to stimulate and fatigue the maximum amount of muscle fiber possible, and this happens only when the body is forced to recruit additional muscle fiber to replace what is already fatigued. So you don't want to allow your muscles to recover too much between sets - just enough to be able to continue your workout and to keep forcing the body to recruit more and more muscle tissue.

There is one other factor to consider: Physiologists have long noted the link between maximal muscle strength and muscular endurance. The stronger you are, the more times you can lift a submaximal amount of weight.; This means that the more you push yourself to develop muscular (as opposed to cardiovascular) endurance, the stronger you become. So maintaining a regular pace in your training actually leads to an increase in overall strength.

You can quote whomever you like but until you've trained with a team to compete and take long rests between lifts because your team mates are lifting, it doesn't matter. It's all supposition. I sometimes train alone and read a book between sets until I feel like I'm sufficiently recovered for my next set. Sometimes it's ten minutes. Sometimes less. Occasionally more.
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Yeah, same here. The room could be on fire and I wouldn't know it until that barbell was re-racked.

I guess some of us are a little dense ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)