WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options
hellofriends.gif

:bigsmile: : Hello to all the great friends who have been part of this thread and welcome to all the new friends we’ll be meeting this month.

:flowerforyou: The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:love: How did you do on your goals and resolutions for January?

:love: What goals and resolutions have you planned for February?

:glasses: I like to make resolutions that I can reasonably expect to accomplish.

January Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*dance at least three dances a day for extra practice (not so much at the beginning of the month but a lot more at the end)
*yoga twice a week (three times would be better)—(some stretches but no formal practice for the last three weeks)
*play with Bernie the cat at least 5 minutes a day (not every day, but often)
*don’t take things personally (excellent)

February Resolutions
*restart strength training from the beginning
*yoga once a week
*submit tax materials to accountant
*update important information list
*act the way I want to feel

:flowerforyou: Please join us even if you don’t make monthly resolutions. Connecting with other women on the same journey has helped me lose weight and keep it off.

:drinker: I hope we’ll continue with the custom of signing our names (or alias) and location to make our sharing more personal.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington where the days are getting longer

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Bump
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Eilleen when I was a much younger girl and we went to Minnesotta every year to see my Dad's family, Grandma would always pack us a big lunch to have for the ride home. She made her sandwiches with butter. I hated them!!!:laugh: :heart: I loved the big cuts of meat and the home made bread but not the butter. My sandwiches are peanut butter, cheese, egg salad and then egg and cheese on an English muffin. All these are on the Healthy Life 35 calorie bread. What else could I have to put the cheese on? I guess I could buy some turkey deli meat. I haven't bought it before because I think turkey by itself is kind of boring. Right now, just knowing that cheese is in the refridgerator is making my tummy hungry and I need to put it out of my mind!

Joyce, Indiana
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. Cool and windy here today and we are supposed to get snow. We got some bad news last night. Leonard’s (DH’s) cousin Bert fell off a scaffold thing while painting a church and landed on the cement. He punctured both lungs and has bleeding on his brain. He has been to surgery twice now, once to get the blood out of the one side of his head that was injured the most, then this morning he went back for some bleeding on the other side. He is in a coma and occasionally gets a little agitated, so they are keeping everyone out of his room for now. He is in a hospital in Joplin that I don’t think is a trauma center, but the family wants him there and not transferred so I am holding back on my opinions! Boy for a bossy old nurse like me, that’s hard! So please send healing thoughts and prayers.

Barbie; thanks for the information on Pat

Yanniejannie: your weather sounds atrocious! I hope it gets better soon there

Jenero: keeping my fingers crossed that the biopsy comes out fine

Michele: OMG I almost fell over laughing at what you said about the boy dog! You crack me up! I totally agree with what you said about these crazy things the teachers want the students to bring on those kind of days. I always hated it and I always signed the “homework book” under protest. I think all that stuff is for the kids and not the parents.

Susan: so sorry to hear that your father has PD. That disease can rob people of so much

Deb; when you find a way to get more hours in the day, please let me know LOL

Cynthia; congrats!

Heather: milk and whiskey???? Bleh! I’d just take the whiskey and throw the milk out! Glad you are feeling better!

Sylvia: congrats on your loss!

Carol: I’m glad you are feeling better! Those nasty bugs are everywhere

Kayakcutie: OMG what a funny picture!!!

Alison: if you are a heron lover, you should come to central Nebraska sometime! We are in the main migration pathway and literally millions of herons come here each spring. You can take tours to go out early, early morning and watch them all take off together or come out in the evening and land together. It is amazing. There are blues, green herons, and some random snow owls.

Jane: stay safe in the snow

Brenda; isn’t it great to feel stronger and healthier?

Eileen: I like to mash avocado and put on my sandwiches. It’s higher in fat but it’s the good fat you need

Rori: find some time for yourself during your travels. Be safe!

Jane: I’ll be thinking of you this weekend and Monday during your friend’s service.

Well ladies I’m off. Talk to you all tomorrow. Take care, Meg
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bump and TGIF from Atlanta!

Gail
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: have a great weekend everyone keep warm and safe

Juanita in snowy sudbury
  • DonnaAnn64
    DonnaAnn64 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies
    - 24 C here the last few days..so cold.
    Ive Been working hard on eating healthy and excersize. I exceeded my weight loss goal for January. .and now my goal for February is just to stick with it. .keep eating healthy and walk, walk, walk! oh and try to drink some water each day... blech,!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Is is really February already? Yikes! What happened to January? Zooooooooom, time flies.

My life has been something else lately, and I do mean busssy! I've taken on quite a few more music students which is of course a great thing, but I find my free time is now next to nil. That's ok, though, I'll manage somehow! Getting my exercise every day has been challenging, since mornings are now packed full with preparing lessons, cleaning, fixing meals, and walking dogs. It's a good life, really, just a busy one! I'll check in as often as possible, just wanted to let you know I'm still here and working away at losing a few pounds I gained last year.

Oh Meg, I'm so sorry about your DH's cousin. Sending all the best!!

:smile: jb in Portland
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Saving my place!

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Well, today Vince just said to me "have you forgotten where you live?"

The day started out by my leaving the house at 7 to take my aluminum to the Humane Society (I forgot my coupons). Then I went to Bi-Lo to get what was on sale, then to the Y for the deep water class, then played mahjongg, then to Lowe's for potatoes, then to Dunkin Donuts for Vince's donuts, then the Salvation Army, then PetSmart to get more pill pockets and treats for the cats, then to Aldi for what I needed, then home.

I wore my water shoes during the class in addition to my webbed gloves. I can't get over how much resistance they add!

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the My Fitness Coach yoga workout on the Wii. I remember that you can set the length of time that you want to do a workout. I'm thinking that it's basically just repeating the same workout, but sometimes that's good.

Vince got his new battery today. Believe it or not, Sam's club was the cheapest and they installed it for free.

Susan - caliphers are more accurate for measuring your body fat percentage than those bioimpedence machines. Those machines can be influenced by the amount of liquid you drink etc. Really, the best is the hydrostatic measuring, but I don't know of any place that does that. Plus, it's probably going to be quite expensive. You can get a pair of fairly decent caliphers for a lot less money. It wasn't Ralphie who stuck his tongue to the flagpole, it was one of the other boys in the class. I just couldn't help myself.....lol I usually make a little bit of the cake for myself, and that bite wasn't dense. Really, the only spice was ginger. Now the recipe did call for fresh ginger and I used the dried so I did need to be sure that I had put in enough to give it a ginger flavor.

Heather - what a lovely compliment your hubby paid you!

Cynthia - good for you taking your bike. Awesome. Woohoo on the loss

Carol in nc -feel better fast. The weather this weekend should be better, hopefully, that'll help

Joyce - what med was that that was so expensive? I know the price of Lance's insulin went up to something like $180. Thank goodness he doesn't get a lot and one bottle lasts a long time. How horrible for your daughter's friend's mom! And not to be able to take the dogs!

While I was out today the insurance company called Vince. They approved my reclast!!!! What an uphill battle. Why is it so hard? Maybe next year what I need to do is start the procedure months in advance.

Alison - how horrible about your case! And you took such great pains, too. I do hope you get satisfaction, you deserve it

Joyce and Eileen - how I remember as a kid going to see my relatives in PA and my aunt making us sandwiches to take in the car with us, giving us fruit. Ohhhhh,..those were the days.

Joyce - I put cheese on those wheat thin crackers or sometimes a rice cake (low sodium)

Meg - big prayers for your dh's cousin. What a terrible thing to have happen

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, I'm sorry to hear about your hubby's cousin. I hope he is at a Freeman. That's the only big hospital left after the tornado, but I thought they had a trauma center. St Johns blew down, but it looks like the new building is about done. We've been to Kearney a couple of times to see the Sand Hill Cranes. Those are pretty amazing, too. And there are some wildlife areas between here and Kansas City where we've seen huge flocks of white pelicans in October, which I really enjoyed seeing. The whole area was a sea of big white birds.

Goals for February...maybe

Lose 5 more pounds.
    Get back to swimming every day at the Y.
    Go to my studio at least three days a week making pottery.
    Paint one day a week.
    Pay more attention to my appearance. Sick of being a slob.
    Teach the dog some new commands. Hoping keeping him busy will make him less destructive.
    Take grandson to story time at library every Tuesday.

Sylvia
  • lindagullikson
    lindagullikson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! Only logged for 20 days kinda new and not sure how all this works yet, but I'm over 50 and working to lose 50 lbs.
    I'm from central Idaho, on the bank of the Southfork of the Clearwater river.
    LindaG
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    I'm going to be brief tonight.
    Meg- I am so sorry to hear of your cousin's fall. I hope he gets well, what a horrible ladder accident. My prayers go out to him and his family, that includes you.
    Michelle- after doing all that stuff today, what time did you finally get home? I'm getting a caliper cuz I really want to gauge my BF%.
    Tried to stay under 1200 cals today but fried up some bacon for a BLT salad and ended up dunking crusty bread in the hot bacon drippins.r..I seriously have never done that and it was SO GOOD! I thought about the pioneers eating bacon drippins. Notice how I spell drippins? Makes it sound mighty good!
    Thank you, Barbie, for another month ahead. Such a worthwhile thread.
    Well, back to my movie on antenna tv.
    Good night all
    Susan
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Really Really fell off the diet this January. Looking make better choices during Feb.

I am a team member (run/jog) in the Chilly Willy at Fort De Soto Park. My sister is doing the bike.

Been very busy at our company. That is a good thing. Working on renovation of kitchen. So much dust uggh!

Tomorrow we will be back into the upper 70's. So ready to get back to yard work and cleaning.

Goal is to walk/jog 5mi 5x a week. this February.
    Eat better and get this weight off!! Would love to add friends who want to take off 20lbs in the next 90 days. Please keep diary open if you friend request me. Otherwise what's the point right.

God Bless all of you and keep the faith for this journey.

Patsy
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I’m tired & not ready for anything but a good night’s rest, but I wanted to catch the link for February’s thread. I have made my new goals, which are slightly modified from January. I dropped the strength training to the category of “when I’m able.” I’ll get back to it when I can but will be focusing on cardio for now. I kept the water goal. I’m still not perfect but I’m doing a lot better at drinking water. The reminder of specific things that plenty of water does for my body helps keep me motivated to drink more of it.

Happy Valentine’s month!:heart::love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    JANUARY! JANUARY! WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN FEBRUARY?! :smile: :smile:
    Well for one thing, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY MONTH!:heart: And another, IT'S HEALTHY HEART MONTH!!!:heart::heart:

Although it has been a record breaking month in temps(subzero) and snow(40 inches), I did manage to lose a total of 13 pounds despite being snowed in a few days.:bigsmile: I owe that to giving up sugar, white flour, baking powder, baking soda, meat and meat byproducts. I surprised myself because I really did not think that I could do it. BUT I DID!!:blushing: :bigsmile:

I had to change my mindset, read every label and cook most of the things myself. And since I have a "close relationship" with bread,:smile: , i had to make my own; WITHOUT using eggs, butter, milk, baking powder, and baking soda. :noway: So that left me with only a few options, flatbread, aloo parathas, or tortillias. I didn't think that I could do without my dinner rolls, toast, biscuits, etc... you know what I mean? BUT I DID!!:blushing: :bigsmile:

So to all you ladies who are joining or visiting this forum, I say welcome to the family. There are a lot of women here who know what you are going through and can help you get to your destination, There are a lot of women here who will inspire you by their hard work and efforts to continue to live a healthy lifestyle. There are a lot of women here who are just like you, looking for a friend, a shoulder or an ear. So don't be afraid to share your story because it will motivate someone to begin and inspire someone to keep moving forward.

So I want to thank Barbie for starting this forum and for sharing her life even when she is not feeling well.:flowerforyou: I realize that I am not one who "enjoys" the computer because of my eye, but I do get on to log in. But I do find myself coming to this forum and reading everyone's posts. I don't usually reply, but I do pray for their circumstances. I did not think that I would be here this long. I did not even think that I would lose as much weight as I have so far. BUT I DID!! And I owe it to this forum, and these women who keep me accountable for reaching my monthly goals. THANK YOU LADIES!!:heart::flowerforyou:

HELLO FEBRUARY!!

Nancy
    IN THE DEEP FREEZE OF MICHIGAN
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Linda G, it works this way. You just post and learn from us and we learn from you. We all give each other encouragement. We enjoy talking about our lives, that helps us to be more of a family and supportive of each other. So pull up an easy chair and tell us about yourself.

Oh, those days going up to Minnesota were the simple days. We camped one night going up there and spent all week at their old farm, helped with the chickens played games with the cousins, went to my uncles house and my cousin I think always staged a pig escape from his little farm so we had to chase the pigs down and then he would throw us in the horse tank to wash us off. We ate watermelon on the hay wagon and had seed spitting contests. Clean air, all food was home grown and home made. I still have some of the toys that Dad played with when he was a boy. They were kept in the same place under the stairs for us kids to play with. Being farmers, they have 5 meals a day. Of course us city kids weren't up early enough for the first meal. Grandma always had cookies for every single meal. They ahd a well and I tried not to drink the water or anything made form the water like lemonaide or tea while I was there. I swear there was so many minerals in that well you could chew the water. Oh but we had a good time. We never ever considered a vacation that you went to a park or stayed in a hotel or anything like that. I just didn't like butter on my meat sandwiches. That is reserved for mayonaise only.

Joyce, Indiana
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    ***BUMP***

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello February!
    Hello Ladies!:bigsmile:
    Well I started the month well. This morning we went to the National park where we were meeting a friend of ours to walk on the trails and spot some animals. we saw deer, monkeys & a blue kingfisher. The view of the rising sun ,across rolling hills covered with thick old trees was blissful. The music of the various birds twittering and calling was worth the effort to drive down there.:love:
    Meg you and your family are in my prayers. Hope Bert is blessed.:heart:
    Welcome new comers.:flowerforyou:
    Sandy it was nice to read your post I was wondering where you'd gone.:smile:
    As for Jan goals: were attained till the endless party began with my sisters coming over. Glad to be back on track.
    This 5:2 fasting I'm trying is about training myself to eat significantly limited cals on 2 days of the week so that the body learns to use the fat deposits. Was a little difficult at first, but have pushed back my breakfast so getting used to new schedule.
    So far so good.
    Barbie thanks for binding us together on this wonderful page.:bigsmile:
    Drinking lots of water:drinker:
    Best wishes to all, Yay to all with victories and warm thoughts and healing angels for all those struggling:heart:
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: happy February, lovely ladies. My mom seems to have perked up while I am here.

It's been quite cold, so borrowing one of my sister's winter coats. Should be warmer today.

Ttyl
    Renny
    Temporarily in the Netherlands.