This Cures Depression

Options

Replies

• EGirl7
    EGirl7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Excuses or solutions. You can't go wrong with thinking positive. So... why not!?

All of the negative and sceptic posts here are simply people being closed minded and its those people that are missing out on the wonderful potential that the world has to offer.

Think positive and its incredible how things transform. When you change your attitude about what you are looking at, what you are looking at changes. :wink:

Great original post. Thank you. :flowerforyou:

I don't believe we're being closed-minded at all. Most of us are speaking from our own experiences. Most of those experiences demonstrate that if you're in the throes of depression, you CAN'T think positive. You just can't.

I know if you haven't experienced it yourself, it probably appears to be something that's an easy fix. But if it was, there simply wouldn't be so many people struggling with it every single day.

It's not just about cheering up. It goes far deeper and it takes a LOT of work, one way or another. There's no easy fix here.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Excuses or solutions. You can't go wrong with thinking positive. So... why not!?

All of the negative and sceptic posts here are simply people being closed minded and its those people that are missing out on the wonderful potential that the world has to offer.

Think positive and its incredible how things transform. When you change your attitude about what you are looking at, what you are looking at changes. :wink:

I don't believe we're being closed-minded at all. Most of us are speaking from our own experiences. Most of those experiences demonstrate that if you're in the throes of depression, you CAN'T think positive. You just can't.

I know if you haven't experienced it yourself, it probably appears to be something that's an easy fix. But if it was, there simply wouldn't be so many people struggling with it every single day.

It's not just about cheering up. It goes far deeper and it takes a LOT of work, one way or another. There's no easy fix here.
    It's even worse than that. It's not just that it takes a LOT of work, but the chemical imbalance makes you believe that the immense efforts will nevertheless be futile. Why would you waste all that energy for nothing when you don't even have the energy for basic self-care tasks?

If/when someone manages to take the first step to get treatment, and things go well, they can continue to build on that if they're willing to put in the effort. There's so much *if* leading up to those circumstances that it's just ridiculous to hold it against someone if they're not in a place where they're able to do that.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

As soon as positive thinking is shown to fix pneumonia or schizophrenia, I'll believe you.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Wow... I can't even begin to explain how ignorant this post is. I can tell you from experience that when depression is caused by a chemical imbalance you can't just "think positive". You should really try to actually see where people like me and some the others are coming from because you have no clue.

Maybe try to be a little less close minded yourself...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So all I've needed the past three years I've been dealing with my depression has been a little exercise? Good to know, and great to know my psychology studies are all wrong!

In all honesty, if you've never dealt with or known someone who was clinically depressed, 'thinking positive' is extremely difficult. It's more than just being sad.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, I was incredible at thinking positive and finding fun things to do and happy people. I was constantly trying to outrun the thoughts that were just in my head for absolutely no reason. Horrible thoughts. It did help me get through the day. The nights were so terrifying, though :( The thoughts don't just go away, and nobody can go run and find something fun every single night while needing to sleep, you know? It always let me know it was there, dammit. I hated it!

But now I love, love my everyday medication. Love it! It made the thoughts just shut up. Like magic. I can't speak more highly of any medicine I've ever taken, lol. I never thought the thoughts could shut up. But they did :D I KNEW those weren't my real thoughts; that's part of the frustration with the disease (for me).
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    from someone who's been suffering bi polar for over 15 years, this has been one of the best motivational articles i have ever read.
    it makes sense, and i agree with it totally, and what you say in the article works.... done it myself many times!!!

Also, since i moved to Sweden 3 years ago, my mental health has improved dramatically , and i mean dramatically. In Australia, I never got the support or understanding I needed, it was a very negative environment for me constantly.

bravo for writing this John!!
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    So all I've needed the past three years I've been dealing with my depression has been a little exercise? Good to know, and great to know my psychology studies are all wrong!

In all honesty, if you've never dealt with or known someone who was clinically depressed, 'thinking positive' is extremely difficult. It's more than just being sad.

dont knock a good walk, ever tried going for a walk when your depressed? the endorphines kick in BIG time and before you know it,
    you feel great, the dark cloud lifts from your mind and you start to feel free again, and guess what?... Happy!....... take it from someone who's been suffering for over 15 years with bi polar. =)
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I noticed a surprising thing Losing weight makes my depression go away...so does making money !!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    So tell me clearly why the broken hand needed medicine but the brain of a depressed person doesn't, please. I'm not getting why you believe that the human brain shouldn't/isn't able to be aided by medical science when the limbs should be/are.

He's actually saying that the broken hand didn't need medicine. He just powered through it. You know. Like ya do.
    I didn't say a person with depression or a person with something broken don't need meds.....I'm saying NOT everyone one does......some people go about it because others encourage them or direct them in that particular way.

I personally don't want to be dependence on nothing but food and oxygen but I'm not everyone.......we aren't getting personal hear...we are taking about an overall subject.
    I personally don't WANT to be dependent on medication either...but that's not something I have the luxury of choosing. If I decide to not take my medication, it takes all of 36-48 hours for me to forget that life can be great and go back to hiding under the covers feeling hopeless. I will say though, that medication is not the single answer...but taking my medication makes it possible to to the other things that help me feel better, like exercise and socializing with friends and loved ones.
    I've been suffering from depression since before I even hit puberty...and I had an amazing childhood and loving parents...nothing circumstantial to cause me to be depressed. It's part of how I'm made, and just like people born with some physical disabilities, it requires medical care and attention in order for me to have a satisfactory quality of life.
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    I just want to add one more thing before i leave this thread for another ciggy. as this subject is close to my heart.

All John wrote in his post is true. Its a state of the mind, if you let the demons in your mind win, they will.

this is how it starts.... "im so fat, ill never lose weight, im broke again, i never have any money for anything, if i wasnt mentally ill i could get a job, maybe i should just rob a bank?, everything is so unfair, why am i this way? Im always being punished for something, i hate my life, ill never amount to anything, i hate everyone around me, no one has ever understood me... **** the world, why the hell do i even bother?.... what is an easy way to sucicide without suffering much? or maybe i should suffer, let them see the pain i went through,

soul tourmenting stuff isnt it? its dark, depressive and grabs you and tries to pull you into the bottomless pit which you cant escape.
    hearing voices, paranoia, thinking the whole world is out to get you, you cant leave your house...no fun i can tell you.

So believe me when I say that Johns article is truly sound and good advice.

Unless you've been to the pit of hell and back (like me) you really should think about what your saying, until you've been there.
    and before you knock what he says, why not try it ?? it wont kill you, and you will be suprised if you put more of a half *kitten* effort into it.

rant over.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I just want to add one more thing before i leave this thread for another ciggy. as this subject is close to my heart.

All John wrote in his post is true. Its a state of the mind, if you let the demons in your mind win, they will.

this is how it starts.... "im so fat, ill never lose weight, im broke again, i never have any money for anything, if i wasnt mentally ill i could get a job, maybe i should just rob a bank?, everything is so unfair, why am i this way? Im always being punished for something, i hate my life, ill never amount to anything, i hate everyone around me, no one has ever understood me... **** the world, why the hell do i even bother?.... what is an easy way to sucicide without suffering much? or maybe i should suffer, let them see the pain i went through,

soul tourmenting stuff isnt it? its dark, depressive and grabs you and tries to pull you into the bottomless pit which you cant escape.
    hearing voices, paranoia, thinking the whole world is out to get you, you cant leave your house...no fun i can tell you.

Unless you've been to the pit of hell and back (like me) you really should think about what your saying, until you've been there.
    and before you knock what he says, why not try it ?? it wont kill you, and you will be suprised if you put more of a half *kitten* effort into it.

rant over.
    What you don't realize is that telling someone who is diagnosed with major depressive disorder, or bipolar, that they just need to "put in more than a half *kitten* effort" to think positively is like saying "you aren't trying hard enough". There were days I couldn't even find the energy to brush my teeth...the last thing I needed was to feel like MORE of failure because I didn't have the strength to suck it up and think happy thoughts.
  • titanium96
    titanium96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    *smacks forhead* Oh gee, if I just think happy thoughts I'll be cured!!! Why didn't I ever think of that before!!!

:huh: :grumble: :noway:

Seriously dude, I'm the happiest depressed person you'll ever know. There's this little thing called a chemical imbalance. But nice happy thoughts try for you!

Love this response....
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

I think it depends how severe the depression is.

I was diagnosed with mild depression, and the number one thing my doctor wanted me to do was to start exercising, and I must admit for me it helps, when I am exercising regularly the symptoms of depression come along much less frequently.

Seeing a good therapist helped as well.

But I would not expect what has worked for me would work in every case.

To the OP, I have always considered myself a happy, upbeat person. Nothing was more exhausting than trying to keep up that persona whilst in the midst of depression.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If you don't have depression- don't tell people who do how to cope with it.
    If you haven't been in this fight- you don't know anything bout it.
    So zip it.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

rant over.

That, I presume, is your experience with depression.

It is not, however, mine.

My depression... my mental illness... did not start with negative thoughts. I've seen people like this and frankly, I envy them. If only my depression was based on something as simple as being down on myself about my weight or my family or my circumstances. Those are fixable things. Tangibles.

I'm not saying it's any easier for those people, I'm saying it's different from what I experience.

In the simplest way of thinking, there are two basic forms of depression.

One is that your moods are depressed, or taken down into the negatives.

The other is that your moods are dampened, or taken away, buried so that you no longer feel or care.

For the first one, yeah, trying to turn around your way of feeling could be helpful, though many will just find it as one more thing to beat themselves up about because they simply can't.

For the other, not so much, because there's really nothing to turn around.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    ^
    i was in a deep depression myself last year, drank every day out of misery, almost comitted suicide on 1 drunken night and generally didnt gave a **** about life anymore.

doctor gave me anti depressive meds, but after taking 1 i already had side effects so was really fast done with those. Than i got a foster dog for 2 months, he pulled me out of my depression, when he left i almost slipped back and boozed 2 days again till i had enough of it.
    Been 9 days clean now of smoking and drinking and doing insanity and p90x since monday.

When i was depressed it was fighting for my life every day and now i am still fighting in a different way so for people that want to talk about depression but never experienced it themself, up yours :flowerforyou:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just read thru these posts. Having had family members and friends with a variety of mental health issues (co dependency, anxiety, depression, chemical addiction) that required medical professional treatment, I have to say I was not offended by the OP or any of the posts. Accepting that a person close to you needs help, and even those not so close to me that require professional help and being supportive in the right way is something we can all learn. I have lost two close family members to suicide - my biological father and an uncle. I don't understand how it feels to feel that much despair, but that doesn't mean that the despair isn't real. Pretty real my family members are gone now.

But for those of us who get "blue" or "sad" or allow negative thoughts to impede our life enjoyment we do need to pull that weed right out of "minds garden". Due to my family history, I guard my mental health. I have learned I can't let my weight get out of control and If I don't get my activity level up during the day, I don't get my minimum sleep in. Don't get my sleep in, my judgement is impaired and I feel tired and yucky. I have to drink my water or my body and brain aren't hydrated.

Visualizing success includes dealing with any roadblocks to our success. Mental health and physical health are inseparable in my world.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nevermind...
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    edit