Pissed with my husband's negativity

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm not really in but I'll watch from the sidelines.

Mmmmm, this beer tastes good. Mmmmmm
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I should leave my man after reading all of this great advice, or at least refuse to cook him dinner for a week, or maybe just give him the silent treatment. There are all these horrible things:

He LOVES a meaty woman. (I haven't always been one.) He told me he thought I was "scrawny" when we met. (I wasn't, I was really fit, like 50 or 60 pounds fitter.) He said he hopes I don't lose that much so I can keep my boobs--they're always one of the first things to shrink and he's a bit bummed. (For some odd reason he likes boobs. Crazy, I know.)

I may or may not have told him I think David Duchovny is insanely sexy, and kissed my computer screen in front of him when I saw a Californication update on Facebook. It's OK for me to do it, not for him like when he goes nuts over that one movie scene where you can see up Mila Jovovich's skirt.

Once I dyed my hair a lighter shade and he said it made me look old. He also told me I have the ugliest feet in the world. (This is actually true.)

Another time I told him his hair looks thinner on top when his hair is too long, and that I love his hair when it's short. He's a rocker, so this was hard for him to take.

This is a tough one, because he is absolutely my best friend and we have tons of fun together, but I'm worried now that we are both just two insecure, jealous jerks.
    :brokenheart:

OP, many of the comments in this thread are WAY out of line. This is not that huge of a deal if you love each other. Talk it out, forget the Internet, and keep on loving each other.

You're doomed. Dump him, because all men are idiots, and find yourself the one man who is smart enough to never talk back, sugar coats everything, and makes the Stepford Wives look like a group of radical anarchists.

Signed,

The MFP "Divorce Everything" Crew
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That is awful. Although I want my boyfriend to think I'm attractive, I would never be ok with him treating me the way your husband has been treating you. He said Megan Fox is his ideal? I'm failing to see how your body is "gross" and "too skinny" compared to her. He is jerk for saying your body is gross and then showing you pictures of other women who he thinks are more attractive. Ugh this post is making me angry! My boyfriend has made comments about me doing various things, like he has said he didn't want me to lose weight because he didn't want me to lose my butt or my curves, but I lost weight anyway because it's what would make me comfortable with myself and he ate his words and admitted it. Same with lifting weights. He finally stopped opposing to me doing certain things because he loves me the way I am, no matter what I do. Whether I gain 20 pounds or lose 20 pounds, whether I lift weights or not. I'm still me, and that's all that matters. Your husband is acting like a turd. I would recommend marriage counseling.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's alright to just jump on the bash wagon without looking at it from his point of view, i'm not saying there is anything at all wrong with OP but her husband married a more voluptuous woman, so he has a right to object he if thinks she's losing some of her curves but that of course, doesn't mean the OP should not do what makes her happy either. It's all about communication and compromise, only problem here is that your husband could have put his objections across in a more positive way

First, you're assuming that she was always heavier than she is now and that this is the fittest he has seen her. That's a big assumption.

You are absolutely entitled to your own proclivities as far as phsyical attraction, but if you base a marriage on that, forgetting that the other person is always free to alter something as mealleable as weight, you may not really be understanding the requirements of LTRs.

I'm sorry but your only definition of voluptuous equals heavy? Seems like im not the one supposedly making assumptions. Not just in marriage but people will always have something to say about your weight and the impact of their negativity or positivity all depends on how important that person is to you.

Yes, OP is free to lose weight to be happy, i already established that but then according to everyone on here, her husband is not entitled to an opinion unless it's of a positive note. Did he ask her to sign divorce papers because she has lost too much weight? No! He has only said he thinks she lost too much weight

There you go again with the assumptions. Next time read what I wrote before you respond.

As a human being, you are entitled to your own feelings, healthy or not. He is entitled to his and she is entitled to hers. If you're in a relationship and would like to remain in a relationship, however, you express feelings, needs, desires, etc. in menatlly healthy ways, not mentally abusive ways - at least if you would like to remain in a healthy relationship. He didn't ask her to sign divorce papers. He just lashed out in a mentally unhealthy way that indicates he either doesn't have or doesn't use healthy coping mechanisms. If he doesn't learn the healthy way to express feelings, he won't have to worry about being the one to serve papers.

And i think that is why the last line from my original response said " It's all about communication and compromise, only problem here is that your husband could have put his objections across in a more positive way", maybe if you had read it all the way, you wouldn't be so confused right now.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Lol, it kind of seems like random strangers are getting into disputes over some other random stranger's relationship issues.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    And i think that is why the last line from my original response said " It's all about communication and compromise, only problem here is that your husband could have put his objections across in a more positive way", maybe if you had read it all the way, you wouldn't be so confused right now.

I'm not at all confused. It's unheplful for the OP (or anyone else) when you make strawman arguments based on what you baselessly assume she looked like when they first met.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    First off, thank you for all those who took time to reply to this thread I've started. I didn't expect that I will get so many replies. I'm particularly surprised with the number of people who suggested divorce/separation because of this event. I honestly think this is not NEARLY enough reason for separation. Me and husband had a talk about this on the night I made the post. What I've gotten is that he really just prefer me larger and is afraid I will get too skinny. He just said in some stupid and insensitive way which was his fault and he apologized for. Because of this, we have agreed that I will not lose more weight but I won't try to gain weight either. He still finds me attractive but is just not used to me being significantly smaller. I originally planned on losing down to 110 lbs but I'm happy to just maintain at where I'm at 113 lbs which is not that far off anyway. I somewhat agree that I shouldn't ask complete strangers for their advice about my marital problems but I pretty much initiated the thread to just blow off some steam. I will of course not follow all of strangers advice just because they said it. Although I'm glad that there were a few posts that actually gave pretty good advice. My goal in initiating this thread is just to feel better by posting something online that no one knows me in person and maybe get a few helpful advice. As with counseling, most marriages need that. Marriages are better when they improve rather than staying stagnant. We attend counseling already and we understand the value of good communication and compromise in marriage. Again, thank you for all the replies. At this point, I consider this dilemma RESOLVED
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm kind. You can have mine.
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This isnt really advice - but he seriously has his own idea of what his goal wife should look like? Wtf. My boyfriend tells me Im beautiful all the time and im totally overweight. If he showed me a picture of a cheerleader and told me thats what hed prefer, I'd probably cry myself to sleep and end up leaving him. No woman deserves that crap! He should love YOU for who you are. He married you, not a ****ing cheerleader.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    :drinker:
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Let the whole thing go.

He will love your body, you will love your body. The argument will be forgotten, so just forget it more quickly.
  • jessicamatoscuebas
    Options
    Is there any possible way that you can show a picture before you lost the weight for inspiration, just saying. Hugs
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    First off, thank you for all those who took time to reply to this thread I've started. I didn't expect that I will get so many replies. I'm particularly surprised with the number of people who suggested divorce/separation because of this event. I honestly think this is not NEARLY enough reason for separation. Me and husband had a talk about this on the night I made the post. What I've gotten is that he really just prefer me larger and is afraid I will get too skinny. He just said in some stupid and insensitive way which was his fault and he apologized for. Because of this, we have agreed that I will not lose more weight but I won't try to gain weight either. He still finds me attractive but is just not used to me being significantly smaller. I originally planned on losing down to 110 lbs but I'm happy to just maintain at where I'm at 113 lbs which is not that far off anyway. I somewhat agree that I shouldn't ask complete strangers for their advice about my marital problems but I pretty much initiated the thread to just blow off some steam. I will of course not follow all of strangers advice just because they said it. Although I'm glad that there were a few posts that actually gave pretty good advice. My goal in initiating this thread is just to feel better by posting something online that no one knows me in person and maybe get a few helpful advice. As with counseling, most marriages need that. Marriages are better when they improve rather than staying stagnant. We attend counseling already and we understand the value of good communication and compromise in marriage. Again, thank you for all the replies. At this point, I consider this dilemma RESOLVED

nLiq2rL.gif
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. Sorry. What do you plan to do?
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your husband is an idiot. He is scared of losing you to another man, and if he keeps this up, he will.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I somewhat agree that I shouldn't ask complete strangers for their advice about my marital problems but I pretty much initiated the thread to just blow off some steam.

Your original post was totally appropriate for this site. You were asking people with experience in fitness growth/weight loss about their experiences after success with less supportive comments.

As you realized too, when you ask a question like this, you see the wonderful levels of coping skills people have, lol.

Be your own rock star, you look awesome. In relationships its okay to do some things for yourself and fitness is one of them. If you feel great, his life will be much better even if he doesnt realize it now.
  • Vicxie86
    Options
    I am so glad OP came back with exactly what i was trying to say about how her husband might have put his point across in a more positive way and really glad they communicated again, which is the key to any relationship. Half the people on here would have had you signing the doted line with words like "mental abuse"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Now you learned a lesson on posting marriage problems on a public message board. :flowerforyou:
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    My response may get lost in all these replies. No offense to your husband. You are not doing this for him, you need to do this for you. As long as your are healthy, hit whatever goal you like and to hell with the rest of the world. I hope he comes around and understands that he needs to support you. He may need to do a little reading about ideal weight and being healthy.
  • Vicxie86
    Options

I'm not at all confused. It's unheplful for the OP (or anyone else) when you make strawman arguments based on what you baselessly assume she looked like when they first met.

I think OP's response says it all!!