Guest Speaker today at my work - what I learned

Replies

• Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Joint pain is from your diet?? I have lupus which is a auto immune disease that attacks your joints causing painful joints, I don't think my joint pain is caused from my diet.

Another Lupus sufferer here also. My Dr put me on an anti-inflammatory diet as what you put on the inside of your body directly affects your immune system and the Chronic illnesses attached with it.

I have no joint pain as long as I eat no grains and severely limit sugar. I also have to severely limit night shades for the same reason.

When I do have anything of the above, I have a flair and feel horrible for several days.

Same for my aunt. She actually went full on paleo/ancestral/something-or-other and has been asymptomatic as long as she sticks to her diet.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    It's funny to me that you all think you are smarter than a doctor........Tell me what kind of medical degrees you have please.....

It was a huge sales pitch, don't fall for it!!

He wasn't trying to really sell anything. In fact I think he was trying to keep people from wasting their money on junk vitamins. He said you should take really good vitamins....like the ones from standard function or whatever......but didn't say to buy them from him.

...like the ones he has. At his office. ...and they're for sale.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    That was probably the funniest thing I've read on the boards in ages.

Though I am left with wondering where you work that would have such a speaker.

Where I work relies on customers for entertainment value.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    I feel very cheated. I slept 8 hours last night and didn't lose an ounce.

And I bet you ate more than 9g of sugar yesterday......your argument is invalid.
    7g on Wednesday and not an oz lost on Thursday after 9 hrs of sleep. :sad:

You must be logging incorrectly. Perhaps you are measuring instead of weighing?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Your comment about the apple made me curious. I found this article you (and others on here) may find interesting about how we have been breeding the nutrients out of food for thousands of years -- and a few ideas for recouping some of these phytonutrients. I realize it's the NY Times, written by an author who wrote a book about the topic, and not a science journal, but it is interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

That was the thing I was curious about. Thanks for posting that. The other thing I want to know, is what you took for lunch, Jac. I can only imagine how boring your lunch would've been if they had provided it for you.

Met-Rx collossal peanut butter pretzel bar and an orange. I should have had 10C of spinach instead.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    If I have parasites, then it seems like I should be losing weight at a much faster rate than I currently am. Lazy *kitten* tapeworms.

The mentioning of parasites ( and there are 100s more than just tape worms) in the OP's list, is the only thing I actually believe. Many people have them ( parasytes in general, not just tape worms ) and are unaware. Not all parasites cause weight loss like the tape worm does.
    I have a MA in Nutrition from a respectable US university and have worked more than 30 years in the field all over the planet and apart from the mentioning of parasites, I have never heard of the other points within serious nutrition focussed circles. Some of it is just plain wrong ( like fat is only burned at night ) and the rest sounds really New Age.......with no scientific back up that I am aware of.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Joint pain is from your diet?? I have lupus which is a auto immune disease that attacks your joints causing painful joints, I don't think my joint pain is caused from my diet.

Another Lupus sufferer here also. My Dr put me on an anti-inflammatory diet as what you put on the inside of your body directly affects your immune system and the Chronic illnesses attached with it.

I have no joint pain as long as I eat no grains and severely limit sugar. I also have to severely limit night shades for the same reason.

When I do have anything of the above, I have a flair and feel horrible for several days.

Same for my aunt. She actually went full on paleo/ancestral/something-or-other and has been asymptomatic as long as she sticks to her diet.

I am a lifelong whole food eater and also have active systemic Lupus. I am ok with natural foods ( including nightshades, grains ans legumnes), but found out that avoiding most sugars and white flour keeps the swelling in my joints down also.....it does not diminish the pain to any great extent however. I am ok with all other foods. I couldn't say anything about processed food and snack or junk food, because I have never eaten them.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Ohmigod, this is funny. Did he also wave 10 lbs of fat around repeatedly?

For his next trick, I really hope he sawed a woman in half and then used magic vitamins only available from his office to render her whole again.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    One of my massage instructors was a chiropractor. He was constantly trying to push stuff like this on us. So, I went to the dietician on base, with the info he had given us. She gave me resources, more info, and explained the partial truths to me when it came to diet and what he was pushing. I took those things to him. His response "well, that kind of medicine just lies to you, trust me, I know what I'm talking about."

Just because he's a Dr. of Chiropractic Medicine doesn't not make him a dietician, or make him credible on ANYTHING other than the joints and bones of the body. Period. I wouldn't trust my optometrist to advise me on physical therapy.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    One of my massage instructors was a chiropractor. He was constantly trying to push stuff like this on us. So, I went to the dietician on base, with the info he had given us. She gave me resources, more info, and explained the partial truths to me when it came to diet and what he was pushing. I took those things to him. His response "well, that kind of medicine just lies to you, trust me, I know what I'm talking about."

Just because he's a Dr. of Chiropractic Medicine doesn't not make him a dietician, or make him credible on ANYTHING other than the joints and bones of the body. Period. I wouldn't trust my optometrist to advise me on physical therapy.

Whereas my Chiro is awesome, and immediately figured out what was wrong with me, and prescribed physical therapy, and told me his goal was to get me sorted in under 3 months and hopefully not see me again.

Plenty of chiros are quacks, but hey.. there's quack MD's as well. *cough Mercola cough*
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    :laugh:
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member

Whereas my Chiro is awesome, and immediately figured out what was wrong with me, and prescribed physical therapy, and told me his goal was to get me sorted in under 3 months and hopefully not see me again.

Plenty of chiros are quacks, but hey.. there's quack MD's as well. *cough Mercola cough*

Certainly. I tend to suggest clients seek out professionals in specific fields when I don't believe I'm their best option. I've met plenty of quack MD's thanks to the military. I had one tell me to get more fiber for a specific issue. I did so from plant based foods and psyllium husks. He told me "that's never going to work, you can only get fiber from fortified cereal." Um.... what?

But, I will still take more nutrition advice from a nutritionist, than I would from someone in another field. ;) I like the variety of opinion, but as I've found with massage "specialties" there's apparently tons of cures for everything! It's just hidden by the evil medical empire. ... :huh:
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    I don't know what my favorite part is about this post...my initial reaction to the story or reading through all of the comments. Thanks for the pick-me-up, guys!

:flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    If my work ever brought someone in my work that said all that I might get my first write up in 15 years...couldn't sit there and listen to that.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Your comment about the apple made me curious. I found this article you (and others on here) may find interesting about how we have been breeding the nutrients out of food for thousands of years -- and a few ideas for recouping some of these phytonutrients. I realize it's the NY Times, written by an author who wrote a book about the topic, and not a science journal, but it is interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

That was the thing I was curious about. Thanks for posting that. The other thing I want to know, is what you took for lunch, Jac. I can only imagine how boring your lunch would've been if they had provided it for you.

Met-Rx collossal peanut butter pretzel bar and an orange. I should have had 10C of spinach instead.

Oh, that sounds good! You blew your sugar with that orange. :wink:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    6a00d83451a4dc69e20147e0e6954f970b-pi
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    6a00d83451a4dc69e20147e0e6954f970b-pi

Every time I see your name, I hear Book of Love's "I Touch Roses" in my head.
    /hijack

Hi Jac! :laugh:
  • I'm sorry, but this is so wrong. Carbs are GOOD! Believe it or not, our bodies NEED a little sugar. The protein thing is just..........so wrong. Protein stores as muscle. I don't mean to be rude, but wow.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I'm sorry, but this is so wrong. Carbs are GOOD! Believe it or not, our bodies NEED a little sugar. The protein thing is just..........so wrong. Protein stores as muscle. I don't mean to be rude, but wow.
    Uhh, what? No, no it doesn't. Protein does not "store as muscle." I'm not even sure what the hell that even means....