A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

A great article.

For everyone who is dismissing it and backing their a calorie is just a calorie - did you lose your weight by eating a low calorie count of junk food or by eating healthy.

Well done on all of your successes. I am sure though at the heart of each of them what you ate was the result of the success you had.

It's called a lifestyle change. I eat/drink what I want. I make it fit. There are NO good/bad foods, just bad eating habits. My weight came off because I changed bad eating habits and started working out.

Exactly, that proves the point of the person who's written the article. Well done on the weight loss!

How....just how? lol
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with knowing the truth if it matters where my calories come from.. found this AWESOME article that puts logic to it all. Worth the read

A great article.

For everyone who is dismissing it and backing their a calorie is just a calorie - did you lose your weight by eating a low calorie count of junk food or by eating healthy.

Well done on all of your successes. I am sure though at the heart of each of them what you ate was the result of the success you had.

I'm not even sure what this means. What I eat is a result of the success I've had? I eat what I eat because of my success?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

A great article.

It's called a lifestyle change. I eat/drink what I want. I make it fit. There are NO good/bad foods, just bad eating habits. My weight came off because I changed bad eating habits and started working out.

Exactly, that proves the point of the person who's written the article. Well done on the weight loss!

No, it does not. This poster eats what she wants...... so all her calories are just calories. Source doesn't matter. CI/CO.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I have dropped a fair bit of body fat, six dress sizes and about 8 pounds (since I joined MFP) - close to 20 pounds in total, since I started tracking calories.

I still eat pizza, ice cream, chip, mcdonalds, and I (almost daily) feed my tim horton's coffee addiction.

But since I started on this calorie tracking deal... I have learned a LOT.

I don't put ranch dressing all over EVERYTHING I eat. *kitten*, one tablespoon is 70 calories! I am sure before I started tracking my cals that I'd blow about 300 - 400 cals (MINIMUM) on Ranch Dressing ALONE.

I have small coffees instead of xtra large.
    I'll have 20 chips, instead of a whole bag. 20 - 250 cals. A whole bag is close to 2/3rds of my day in cals. (Add in a cup of sour cream and salsa) and my bedtime "snack" was probably close to 1,000 cals.

I eat more chicken, and less beef.
    I snack on popcorn with a wee bit of butter, and not nachos.
    I use half n half cream and not 18%.

Small sustainable changes. BIG difference!!!
    51c6796b-5e96-4781-8fc1-3977e7a1c084_zpsec61764a.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

A great article.

Look at my pics. At my week 1 and current. Tell me my body comp is the same. This is the result of 1700 -2000 calories worth of "junk" in moderation. That means ice cream every night, mcdonalds, pizza. Marcos are my only focus. Not trivial labels. And yes, calories matter

Ice cream mac donalds and pizza all in one night? Wow you've been blessed with genetics!

No, just the ability to count. As long as the calories add up to less than the daily goal, weight will still be lost.

Who much are you spending on supplements? Surely it's easier to just eat healthy get your nutrients from errr food and put the calculator away.

But ...... and this is the important thing, if it's worked for you then fantastic.

Every success is a good success.

The science behind the article is accurate. The thing is you are obviously someone focused on a goal 'and more power to your elbow for it'.

A lot of people who are over weight don't have the same will power and the hard truth is some food (and not the good stuff) will promote hormone release in the body which create strong cravings for food.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I have dropped a fair bit of body fat, six dress sizes and about 8 pounds (since I joined MFP) - close to 20 pounds in total, since I started tracking calories.

I still eat pizza, ice cream, chip, mcdonalds, and I (almost daily) feed my tim horton's coffee addiction.

I don't put ranch dressing all over EVERYTHING I eat. *kitten*, one tablespoon is 70 calories! I am sure before I started tracking my cals that I'd blow about 300 - 400 cals (MINIMUM) on Ranch Dressing ALONE.

I'll have 20 chips, instead of a whole bag. 20 - 250 cals. A whole bag is close to 2/3rds of my day in cals. (Add in a cup of sour cream and salsa) and my bedtime "snack" was probably close to 1,000 cals.

You're hot! Js. ♡
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Ice cream mac donalds and pizza all in one night? Wow you've been blessed with genetics!

I didn't know that eating McDonald's, ice cream, and pizza required certain genes.

If anything I have 'fat genes' (most women in my family are overweight) and yet I enjoyed a ten peice mcnugget, fries, an entire bag of sour patch kids, and ice cream a few days ago. Still dropped weight.

Its like ...my ability to math trumps the other stuff.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A great article.

Look at my diary.
    I'm healthier and fitter than the average person by a good chunk.
    My cardio was a bit lacking from lack of practice, but yesterday I found myself running down the hill ahead of everyone, then looping back so I could an effort running UP to catch up with them, then passing on the way down again.

I often HAVE lost weight succusfully and become healthier eating predominately what people call 'junk'.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

A great article.

Look at my pics. At my week 1 and current. Tell me my body comp is the same. This is the result of 1700 -2000 calories worth of "junk" in moderation. That means ice cream every night, mcdonalds, pizza. Marcos are my only focus. Not trivial labels. And yes, calories matter

No, just the ability to count. As long as the calories add up to less than the daily goal, weight will still be lost.

Who much are you spending on supplements? Surely it's easier to just eat healthy get your nutrients from errr food and put the calculator away.

But ...... and this is the important thing, if it's worked for you then fantastic.

The science behind the article is accurate. The thing is you are obviously someone focused on a goal 'and more power to your elbow for it'.

A lot of people who are over weight don't have the same will power and the hard truth is some food (and not the good stuff) will promote hormone release in the body which create strong cravings for food.

I spend nothing on supplements.
    zilch.
    zero.

"focus" is a choice. Others can make that choice. It's that simple.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Your abs are just ridiculous.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You're hot! Js. ♡

Thank you :heart:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

A great article.

Which is why most everyone on the board tells people to find what works for them. That doesn't change the FACT that a calorie is still just a calorie.

Oh, and most don't promote supplements on here other than protein.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

A great article.

Supplements? I take a few mineral supplements right now because I had a stomach flu for a couple of weeks that appeared to have caused me some deficiencies, but other than that I don't use supplements.

I eat a ton of "junk" food. McD's, Taco Bell, ice cream, pizza, Chinese takeout, etc. I eat healthy and get my nutrients from food.

I can't figure out what point you're trying tom ake.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

A great article.

I spend nothing on supplements.
    zilch.
    zero.

"focus" is a choice. Others can make that choice. It's that simple.

If your not taking additional nutrient supplements - good luck to you in the coming years!!!!

You won't be getting nutrients and vitamins from junk food, if you're not going to eat healthy food i.e. veggies and fruit then at least get your vitamins and nutrients from a supplement source.

I would not like to think what your omega 3/6 ratio is?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Look at you! You MUST be genetically pre-disposed to Goddessness! That body can't POSSIBLY be of your own doing!! (you rock)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you're simply looking to lose weight, sure, a calorie is just a calorie and a caloric deficit will get you to where you want to be, eventually.

If you're working toward a competition body or elite athletic status, what you're getting calories from matters a whole lot more.

There are a lot of "experts" on this site. Most aren't even close to that in actuality. What it boils down to is this - figure out what your goals are and what works for you. If you can't handle eating a little bit of ice cream, pizza, candy, etc, then stick to foods that are considered clean and maintain a deficit. If you can't maintain a diet that is super clean (most people can't), figure out how to make some of your favorite foods fit and go from there.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

A great article.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Jeez, are you serious? What's the good stuff? It's all food, dude. It's not we're all eating Twinkies all day, or lettuce all day. We're all eating food all day. It's called 'moderation'. Some fat, some protein, some carbs, some sugar. some treats. Some exercise. If you want to do it, you do it. I'm tired of hearing about hormones, and will power, and food addiction, and evil food.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

A great article.

No, because a calorie IS just a calorie. Whether it's crap or healthy. I drink beer, eat pizza, eat out, I eat at home. I eat allz the food. Yet still losing weight. A calorie is just a calorie.
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some foods are more calorie dense than others but a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie :bigsmile: