Advocare 24 day Challenge

Options

Replies

• DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Anything that involves a "cleanse" loses me right there. There is no scientific evidence for cleansing of any kind (my liver handles it nicely, thank you very much). If a product uses one part of BS science, how do I know the rest of it isn't BS science too?

But I guess eating less and moving more is just too darned complicated, and words like "cleanse" and "Advocare" sound so nice and official, and things that you pay for always work so much better than the simple freebies.

For me, it was a mental battle. I needed the "challenge" to get me there mentally after trying several times to create better habits and them not sticking. Now I have created habits that I am continuing and have stronger willpower. I'm going to use those habits that I picked up to the best of my ability to continue eating healthy.

Just because you wouldn't do it and it may not work for you doesn't mean it won't work for others.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    For me, it was a mental battle. I needed the "challenge" to get me there mentally after trying several times to create better habits and them not sticking. Now I have created habits that I am continuing and have stronger willpower. I'm going to use those habits that I picked up to the best of my ability to continue eating healthy.

Just because you wouldn't do it and it may not work for you doesn't mean it won't work for others.
    True, but I prefer things that work based on science rather than a placebo effect.

I noticed on another thread that you're an Advocare distributor. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable selling a placebo to people.
  • taraleola05
    taraleola05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!! Just signed up to be a distributor on February 2nd, and couldn't be more pumped!! With the 10 day Herbal Cleanse I lost 6 pounds and 3.25 inches, and also with the help of my personal trainer. I hadn't been taking any vitamins or supplements prior to the cleanse/challenge because the ones I had taken in the past made me sick to my stomach, but none of the products I've tried so far make me feel that way. I haven't felt this great in years, and I have so much more energy now! Would definitely recommend it, and spark is my favorite (Mango Strawberry is amazing!). Good luck!!

Tara Leola*~
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I would save my money! You got to find something to do for life like eating healthy and exercising!
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options

True, but I prefer things that work based on science rather than a placebo effect.

I noticed on another thread that you're an Advocare distributor. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable selling a placebo to people.

I've only sold a couple of things. The Spark energy drink is amazing. I'm a distributor more for the discount than to make money. I'm not a pushy sales-person type personality. People know I sell it and if they are interested or have questions they contact me. I recommend the products that I have tried, that have worked for me personally and that I love but beyond that I can only offer suggestions. And the Challenge isn't a placebo effect. You're eating healthy, working out and taking supplements such as anyone else would take over the counter. Sure perhaps I could purchase them cheaper elsewhere but comparable supplements from GNC are not that much cheaper and I'd rather get quality supplements from somewhere like GNC or Advocare than cheaper versions from say WalMart.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I've only sold a couple of things. The Spark energy drink is amazing. I'm a distributor more for the discount than to make money. I'm not a pushy sales-person type personality. People know I sell it and if they are interested or have questions they contact me. I recommend the products that I have tried, that have worked for me personally and that I love but beyond that I can only offer suggestions. And the Challenge isn't a placebo effect. You're eating healthy, working out and taking supplements such as anyone else would take over the counter. Sure perhaps I could purchase them cheaper elsewhere but comparable supplements from GNC are not that much cheaper and I'd rather get quality supplements from somewhere like GNC or Advocare than cheaper versions from say WalMart.

For the most part, supplements are unnecessary. And realistically, they are supposed to supplement where your diet fails. So if you have a lot of gaps in your nutrition, then supplements may help but for the most part, your body is much more efficient at acquiring vitamins and minerals through food. Below is a good article that discusses supplements.

Personally, i limit mine to a one a day but outside of that, there isn't much benefit to have supplements.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-simple-truth-about-supplements/
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options

For the most part, supplements are unnecessary. And realistically, they are supposed to supplement where your diet fails. So if you have a lot of gaps in your nutrition, then supplements may help but for the most part, your body is much more efficient at acquiring vitamins and minerals through food. Below is a good article that discusses supplements.

Personally, i limit mine to a one a day but outside of that, there isn't much benefit to have supplements.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-simple-truth-about-supplements/

I haven't been taking anything but the omegaplex/fish oil since my challenge ended. And the Spark.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I haven't been taking anything but the omegaplex/fish oil since my challenge ended. And the Spark.
    Cool.. good luck with your journey
  • Sirskot00
    Sirskot00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The O.P. had asked about the challenge and its products. On that regard I have been able to answer that I have both lost weight (About a pound a day so far) and have had increased energy. I'm unwilling to argue whether these results could have been done without the products because It is speculative and does not directly answer the O.P.'s question. I will say that i did not have this same level of results when I tried other systems of portion control and comparable exerciser. Cold the effects be the result of a placebo effect? I cannot say for sure, lacking biologic data on my system but personally I doubt that it is entirely a placebo effect. In short...it is working and that alone makes it worth the price to me.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    The O.P. had asked about the challenge and its products. On that regard I have been able to answer that I have both lost weight (About a pound a day so far) and have had increased energy. I'm unwilling to argue whether these results could have been done without the products because It is speculative and does not directly answer the O.P.'s question. I will say that i did not have this same level of results when I tried other systems of portion control and comparable exerciser. Cold the effects be the result of a placebo effect? I cannot say for sure, lacking biologic data on my system but personally I doubt that it is entirely a placebo effect. In short...it is working and that alone makes it worth the price to me.
    Well said.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    And the Challenge isn't a placebo effect. You're eating healthy, working out and taking supplements such as anyone else would take over the counter. Sure perhaps I could purchase them cheaper elsewhere but comparable supplements from GNC are not that much cheaper and I'd rather get quality supplements from somewhere like GNC or Advocare than cheaper versions from say WalMart.
    But you can eat healthy, work out, and take supplements without being part of the Advocare Challenge, so apparently it IS a placebo effect. People give it more credibility when someone attaches a fancy-sounding name and price tag on it. Eating healthy and working out is free, and as you yourself pointed out, you can get supplements cheaper. The Advocare Challenge itself doesn't work. It convinces people to do things that work and that would work just as well without the name and added cost. But hey, if investing time and money into something that sounds official is your thing, then go for it. I'm glad that, per your photos, you had some very nice personal results.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    And the Challenge isn't a placebo effect. You're eating healthy, working out and taking supplements such as anyone else would take over the counter. Sure perhaps I could purchase them cheaper elsewhere but comparable supplements from GNC are not that much cheaper and I'd rather get quality supplements from somewhere like GNC or Advocare than cheaper versions from say WalMart.
    But you can eat healthy, work out, and take supplements without being part of the Advocare Challenge, so apparently it IS a placebo effect. People give it more credibility when someone attaches a fancy-sounding name and price tag on it. Eating healthy and working out is free, and as you yourself pointed out, you can get supplements cheaper. The Advocare Challenge itself doesn't work. It convinces people to do things that work and that would work just as well without the name and added cost. But hey, if investing time and money into something that sounds official is your thing, then go for it. I'm glad that, per your photos, you had some very nice personal results.

I also said that for me, the Challenge was more mental than physical.

Placebo effect implies ineffectual, deceitful or simulated results, aka the Challenge does nothing. Results with Advocare are not ineffectual, deceitful or simulated. I have stronger willpower, better eating habits, more energy, and I lost weight. Just because you can also achieve those same results a different way doesn't automatically make one way a "placebo" and one way the correct way.
  • fitformidlife
    Options

Placebo effect implies ineffectual, deceitful or simulated results, aka the Challenge does nothing. Results with Advocare are not ineffectual, deceitful or simulated. I have stronger willpower, better eating habits, more energy, and I lost weight. Just because you can also achieve those same results a different way doesn't automatically make one way a "placebo" and one way the correct way.
    But the results are not dependent on Advocare. Some distributors position it as a product that is necessary for the results achieved, when it absolutely is not. That is deceitful. Certainly not all do that, but it's pervasive enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The truth of the matter is that you can achieve the exact same results with diet, exercise, and any equivalent supplements. It has nothing to do with using Advocare vs. any other equivalent program. People just like to buy things that someone slaps a name and hefty price tag onto because that somehow legitimatizes it in their eyes. At least Advocare isn't positioned as a "magic potion" like too many other diet aids, but it's wholly unnecessary for losing weight. It's just another supplement, and it's overpriced because of all the levels that need to be paid in an MLM.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

But the results are not dependent on Advocare. Some distributors position it as a product that is necessary for the results achieved, when it absolutely is not. That is deceitful. Certainly not all do that, but it's pervasive enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The truth of the matter is that you can achieve the exact same results with diet, exercise, and any equivalent supplements. It has nothing to do with using Advocare vs. any other equivalent program. People just like to buy things that someone slaps a name and hefty price tag onto because that somehow legitimatizes it in their eyes. At least Advocare isn't positioned as a "magic potion" like too many other diet aids, but it's wholly unnecessary for losing weight. It's just another supplement, and it's overpriced because of all the levels that need to be paid in an MLM.

Absolutely in agreement. Anyone can lose weight eating 1100 calories of lettuce, tomatoes, and boiled chicken, but because it has the name Advocare attached to it, it has magical qualities.

FWIW, I've only tried Spark before (free sample from a distributor long ago), and I saw no difference in my energy level.
  • Sirskot00
    Sirskot00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Absolutely in agreement. Anyone can lose weight eating 1100 calories of lettuce, tomatoes, and boiled chicken, but because it has the name Advocare attached to it, it has magical qualities.

FWIW, I've only tried Spark before (free sample from a distributor long ago), and I saw no difference in my energy level.

Wow. There is absolutely no reason for this sort of attack on a company that has shown so many examples of positive results. If you want to state that you don't need products like Advocare because you can get the same results without it...fine... good for you. However Advocare has and still works for people who have had trouble getting results without it. Never has Advocare claimed to sell "magical Potions" that are the sole reason for positive results. Neither is it fair to call it a placebo just because there are some people that don't need it. Such an argument if applied to other activities would be like criticizing a fisherman for using Bait. " Hey some people can catch fish without bait! Using worms is just a waste!"
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Wow. There is absolutely no reason for this sort of attack on a company that has shown so many examples of positive results. If you want to state that you don't need products like Advocare because you can get the same results without it...fine... good for you. However Advocare has and still works for people who have had trouble getting results without it. Never has Advocare claimed to sell "magical Potions" that are the sole reason for positive results. Neither is it fair to call it a placebo just because there are some people that don't need it. Such an argument if applied to other activities would be like criticizing a fisherman for using Bait. " Hey some people can catch fish without bait! Using worms is just a waste!"

Wow. Way to be immature.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat the exact same thing pretty much as the diet that goes with the 10 day cleanse but I have bowel problems so prob once a year I do the 10 day cleanse because it helps me really get toxins out. And please dont tell me to add fiber to my diet because Ive done it all and been to doctors for it. It isnt a miracle plan but it helps some people in diff ways. I dont NEED it to lose weight but everyonce in a while Im so backed up It makes me feel better. Sorry If TMI , Im just trying to make a point that people take it for diff reasons, I will also say I love the spark drinks but after a while they make my teeth hurt. Im just all jacked up lol. Anyways, everyone has ways to help them with there weightloss and if you think its a cult or a scam, maybe it works for someone else. People are so quick to judge other people when they have never walked a day in there shoes... :tongue:
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I eat the exact same thing pretty much as the diet that goes with the 10 day cleanse but I have bowel problems so prob once a year I do the 10 day cleanse because it helps me really get toxins out. And please dont tell me to add fiber to my diet because Ive done it all and been to doctors for it. It isnt a miracle plan but it helps some people in diff ways. I dont NEED it to lose weight but everyonce in a while Im so backed up It makes me feel better. Sorry If TMI , Im just trying to make a point that people take it for diff reasons, I will also say I love the spark drinks but after a while they make my teeth hurt. Im just all jacked up lol. Anyways, everyone has ways to help them with there weightloss and if you think its a cult or a scam, maybe it works for someone else. People are so quick to judge other people when they have never walked a day in there shoes... :tongue:

I'm sure your liver and kidneys are working ?