Biggest Loser Finale...what is going on??

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    How judgmental of all of you.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hope she is okay physically and psychologically. They really should give the contestants counseling when the show is over. Hopefully, it was just for the show and she gains some back.
  • NoSkinnyFat
    Options
    I would just like to say, as a very petite person myself, that I don't believe in relying on BMI (which is a little outdated and not a one size fits all program anyway - neither actually is actual weight or body fat % as we know - people can look drastically different at the same % - it should be about several end measurements including fat to muscle ratios, inches lost, strength and endurance gained, etc).

That being said, as someone similar in height to Rachael - I'm 5 ft 3.5 and approx 117 lbs. I am not as toned as I would like to be, however I dropped down to 106 lbs a few years back due to an illness and it was really uncomfortable. You can tell everything by her arms and face. Her legs look OK. The issue with Rachel's end weight isn't whether or not she followed the rules or will gain it back in a few weeks (which I also hope for her), the issue is that this show is about inspiration and achievement. She will be looked at as a role model. In the end, that is not the image of the role model she could have been.

I don't believe that Rachael is anorexic and I don't think we should make dangerous assumptions, nor belittle such a terrible illness by throwing loose assumptions out there, but being that she has likely inspired so many people in he public (especially younger, more impressionable girls), as a role model, the end goal cannot just be about the money. IMO the trainers should be able to check in on the contestants in the final 2 -3 weeks at home before the finale. If they are taking extreme measures to "win" at any cost, the bigger focus needs to be on the image that the winner will convey to the public - who look to them as inspiration. This way any modifications/counselling can take place to ensure everyone is in fact at their best for the finale.

While I applaud her efforts overall on the season, I believe her competitive nature lead her on to forget about the balance and health aspect/image just to win a prize - IMO this is not something that should be celebrated.

I would just like to point out this quote I pulled from a website: "I started as a [size] 20 and now I’m a 0/2. I was a 6 during makeover week. It's all about maintaining now!" she told Us.
  • LivingHealthyLove
    LivingHealthyLove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I was shocked to see Rachel walk out. Bob and Jillian's face told it all! I do agree with most, that she lost more weight than necessary.. and enough weight to make her look like she has an eating disorder. I also can 't believe she lost so much muscle mass. I hope she doesn't have an eating disorder and I hope this wasn't purposely done for money. I do see there is a flaw choosing the winner of the biggest loser. Would she have still won if she walked out at 90 pounds? When do they draw the line? I agree with a poster that they can come up with a more customized way of determining the "ideal" weight for a contestant. From there, calculate how far they are from reaching that goal. The percentage towards your goal should be the mark for the biggest loser. Anything way beyond 105-110% would be subject to disqualification. It sucks to be disqualified, but the message is "healthy" weight loss. They're fighting for their lives here.. and going from one extreme to another doesn't help extend their lifetime. I thought it was unfair that she won.. but what can I say. I think David was the clear winner, but did think before the show that Rachel would win. I didn't think she'd win this way though.. which was disappointing. I wish her all the best and pray that she is okay and healthy in the long run.

I don't think NBC should issue a statement. I think that would be a bit much for Rachel. There's enough negativity going around about her extreme weight loss. If they issue a statement, they might as well take back her prize! What's done is done. Learn from it and move on.

On a positive note, Tumi looked amazing!! I was totally inspired by her transformation! I wasn't expecting her to lose so much weight and look just stunning! Is she still getting married? I'd love to see pictures of her beautiful moment!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I apologize if my statement was offensive. I am sure there are people with her body type (and perhaps less muscle) that are naturally thin and look just fine, but in my opinion, she, in particular, looked sick and shockingly skinny. Seems many people agree -it's all over the internet - including Bob and Jillian, by the looks on their faces. I don't mean to imply that everyone at this weight looks terrible, but in my opinion she does. I don't really know anyone else with those stats, so I can't say if someone else may appear healthy at that weight. It is possible. My guess though is that these stats are unhealthy and if someone is under a normal BMI, as an adult, in order to be healthy, they should consider trying to gain a few pounds too. I have always been naturally thin (before the last few years) and am far from a "skinny shamer," but I am just concerned for this girl, and the message that this is sending to society, if we are epitomizing someone who looks like she has starved herself.

I'm an adult, and under my recommended BMI. So I should put on a few pounds? Lmao. I'm currently on a cut cycle.

Just curious, how tall are you, and what is your weight/BF% in your profile pictures?

Sorry if you have given this info before, I didn't read all the posts.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    ... I also don't see the difference between saying, "OMG, she looks so gross. I don't even want to look at her. She's unhealthy. I'm saying she's disgusting and gross for her health." Whether the person is 3 pounds below the low BMI or 3 pounds above the high BMI.

There are ways of talking that don't involve calling people gross and disgusting.

exactly.
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The fact that NO ONE has made a statement about this is very telling to me. Nothing has been posted on Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels, Dolvett Quince or The Biggest Loser Facebook pages. NBC has failed to comment, so what is really going on here???
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    To put things in a bit of perspective: For those of you using the BMI chart to slam her, according to the chart, if she is 5'4 and 105 lbs, she is a mere 3 lbs away from being in the healthy weight range.

She probably looked sick more because she had been dehydrating to lose weight in the hopes of winning, than because of her actual weight. Trying to temporarily drop weight quick to win a cash prize is not the same as the disturbed mindset of anorexia, and I'll wager that many of those calling her out would attempt to do the same with that much money on the line.

Most likely, she will spend a few weeks after the finale eating and drinking normally, like most of the contestants do, and gain back 6-10 lbs of mostly water weight, and be back within the healthy range. If she continues losing, of course that's a problem, but why assume the worst? Give her the benefit of the doubt.

I tend to agree with this. All the winners look pretty haggard at the end of the process, because there is no chance of being in the money without some drastic measures. While there is certainly a risk of disordered eating, we can't tell from looking at someone on one day of their life after a grueling diet and exercise plan whether that's what is actually going on or not. Rachel might be the most glaring example so far, but it's the nature of the game. If the show were truly about the kind of sustainable weight loss that the everyday person can do, there would be no dropping 40 pounds the first week and being devastated over losing only 5 pounds. And it would probably be really, really boring.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    ... I also don't see the difference between saying, "OMG, she looks so gross. I don't even want to look at her. She's unhealthy. I'm saying she's disgusting and gross for her health." Whether the person is 3 pounds below the low BMI or 3 pounds above the high BMI.

There are ways of talking that don't involve calling people gross and disgusting.

exactly.
    QFMFT
  • lmcourtney2013
    Options
    Wow! I had a cousin that died of annorexia because she was afraid of getting fat like her siblings. This woman now has a different eating disorder that could also kill her. They need to change the winner criteria, for example, biggest looser at the healthiest weight.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Agree! An adult woman should not weigh 105 lbs!

sorry? i am an adult woman and am very comfortable at 105 lbs. this **** is ridiculous. if this were reversed, can you imagine the uproar over someone crowing about how "an adult woman should not weight 275 lbs" or some such bull**** like that.

i don't watch this show, but i think for her height (5'4" apparently) 105 lbs is not abhorrent! i agree that it sounds like it happened quite drastically and very fast - but those stats are not "sickly" and "anorexic". jesus.

*****es be jealous

Not everyone is pro-ana.

Adult women come in all shapes and sizes.

I hover around 105 and am 5'2" and am perfectly healthy. 19% body fat and ranked in the superior fitness range for my age by an extensive fitness study that I participated in at the local university.
  • To put things in a bit of perspective: For those of you using the BMI chart to slam her, according to the chart, if she is 5'4 and 105 lbs, she is a mere 3 lbs away from being in the healthy weight range.

She probably looked sick more because she had been dehydrating to lose weight in the hopes of winning, than because of her actual weight. Trying to temporarily drop weight quick to win a cash prize is not the same as the disturbed mindset of anorexia, and I'll wager that many of those calling her out would attempt to do the same with that much money on the line.

Most likely, she will spend a few weeks after the finale eating and drinking normally, like most of the contestants do, and gain back 6-10 lbs of mostly water weight, and be back within the healthy range. If she continues losing, of course that's a problem, but why assume the worst? Give her the benefit of the doubt.

I tend to agree with this. All the winners look pretty haggard at the end of the process, because there is no chance of being in the money without some drastic measures. While there is certainly a risk of disordered eating, we can't tell from looking at someone on one day of their life after a grueling diet and exercise plan whether that's what is actually going on or not. Rachel might be the most glaring example so far, but it's the nature of the game. If the show were truly about the kind of sustainable weight loss that the everyday person can do, there would be no dropping 40 pounds the first week and being devastated over losing only 5 pounds. And it would probably be really, really boring.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Anorexia is a mental disorder people not a Number on a scale or your opinion of someone else body image. Unless you are licensed psychologist who has spoken to her in the past 48 hours Id say you can shove your anorexic diagnosis straight up your Ferflueghenhaegen
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    To put things in a bit of perspective: For those of you using the BMI chart to slam her, according to the chart, if she is 5'4 and 105 lbs, she is a mere 3 lbs away from being in the healthy weight range.

This. Its all good TV. If it were my job for six months to work out and lose weight; and I was in the top three at the end, I could probably go to the extreme to put $250K in my pocket. I don't think it means she has an eating disorder, or even that we won't see her in a few months time a little bit heavier. Also -- in my experience, when you have been overweight for awhile and you drop weight fast, your face tends to show it quite a bit and it makes you look haggard and a bit older. Its not an easy process for your body. If she was also trying to avoid water weight gain, that could be part of it.
  • whiteghost1
    Options
    While I agree I think she went too far, 5' 4" 105 is only 4 pounds below where she should be to be considered "healthy." That being said, she did not look healthy at all. You would expect to see at last some muscle. All I saw was skin and bones.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    SHE WON $250,000!!!! I would have done the same exact thing!
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Anorexia is a mental disorder people not a Number on a scale or your opinion of someone else body image. Unless you are licensed psychologist who has spoken to her in the past 48 hours Id say you can shove your anorexic diagnosis straight up your Ferflueghenhaegen

Anorexia isa mental disorder.... but it is ALSO a physical state, being underweight and malnourished is also called anorexia... For exemple dengue disease could make you anorexic (even though you do not have an eating disorder).... Just an FYI
  • CPlempel1013
    Options
    Oh my! She was waay too thin. She looked way too unhealthy. Definitely anorexic looking....I hope she returns to a healthier weight but this is not the way we want the world, especially women, to think they need to look like.

What kind of examples are we setting for our youth that have seen this? This is NOT okay.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The fact that NO ONE has made a statement about this is very telling to me. Nothing has been posted on Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels, Dolvett Quince or The Biggest Loser Facebook pages. NBC has failed to comment, so what is really going on here???

If they were happy with her winning, it would have been on their (Jillian's, Bob's and Dolvett's) Facebook pages. They are probably not allowed to talk about it and since they are unhappy, they won't mention it.... Unless NBC is coming out with a statement later on....
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    She looks disgusting. Where did the muscle tone in her arms go ?!?!?!?!?!
    There's absolutely no way she went home and did it healthy. She HAD to have starved herself.
    You don't just lose months of muscle tone thanks to training on the ranch within a couple weeks like that. Not without seriously destroying yourself.
    I was all for her winning ... but not like that.
    Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed.
    She needs to gain weight, now.