WHO: Governments should regulate fast food to slow obesity

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For example the USA's cost of health care take up half of the world costs for healthcare, half.

That seems unlikely. Citation?
    I was wrong. The WHO have it at 40%, my mistake. I heard 50% from a US Dr on health care.

http://www.emergogroup.com/resources/worldwide-health-expenditures

That is surprising, thanks for the info. I guess it's not too surprising, since the USA has a far larger population than any other country that has a similar amount of wealth per capita. But still.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    For example the USA's cost of health care take up half of the world costs for healthcare, half.

That seems unlikely. Citation?
    I was wrong. The WHO have it at 40%, my mistake. I heard 50% from a US Dr on health care.

http://www.emergogroup.com/resources/worldwide-health-expenditures

That is surprising, thanks for the info. I guess it's not too surprising, since the USA has a far larger population than any other country that has a similar amount of wealth per capita. But still.
    Part of the reason it's skewed is because of life expectancy, which is much lower and the cost is calculated per capita. For example Europe has 750,000,000 with per capita cost at about half. Still, a lot of cash and I think it's around 2 and a half trillion, not pocket change and accounts for 17% of GDP.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Personally I believe that overall health of a nation should be a grass root ideology that begins at birth, not in old age. For example the USA's cost of health care take up half of the world costs for healthcare, half. And half of that cost is taken up in the last few years of life. If we spend money in the beginning for healthier youth, we have a healthier society and health care cost and administering exponentially is reduced.

Yes I agree with this :drinker:
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sucks to be cynical, but people who are walking dead people, whose bodies are almost literally rotting inside, or are barely functional, could care less about making a change to their diets. Similarly, people dying of lung cancer continue to smoke. People who know that these behaviors lead to these ends still don't care. I have nothing against more education, but I doubt people truly don't understand the consequences of not exercising for years on end and still chugging that purple soda to finish off their grilled cheese w/ mayo.
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    Simply, No. Next thing you know, they will be handing out Solyent Green ration cards. The problem is when and where does it stop.

You cannot have drinks larger than 12oz, because 13oz+ leads to obesity.

Are they going to ration cooking oil because I might be frying chicken at my house?

You know 80/20 beef is 20% fat, no one should have 20% fat in their food. You should only use 90/10 or better.

There is going to be a potato chip burning at the local grocer around 7 PM tonight. Fried foods are the devil!!!

All milk above 1% is not fit for human consumption because it contains to much fat.

The list goes on and on and on. When are PEOPLE going to suck it up and be responsible for their own actions. If I keel over and die at 45 because my arteries look like something a plumber should unclog then that is my own fault.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Thoughts??

Yup, idiotic premise. Regulate fast food to slow obesity? Sure... ban it even. No one partakes in anything that's limited or banned, right?

Better idea, one that would actually address the issue, and the one idea that will be promoted by organizations and individuals that want to fix the problem:
    Educate people on nutrition, teach them what a good and bad choice is. Give them the tools they need to form coherent decisions and strategies. Then, let them do it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sucks to be cynical, but people who are walking dead people, whose bodies are almost literally rotting inside, or are barely functional, could care less about making a change to their diets. Similarly, people dying of lung cancer continue to smoke. People who know that these behaviors lead to these ends still don't care. I have nothing against more education, but I doubt people truly don't understand the consequences of not exercising for years on end and still chugging that purple soda to finish off their grilled cheese w/ mayo.

And yet there is a bucket-load of people on MFP who are shocked by the amount of calories in their favorite foods, and by how small an actual portion size is. Seems a simple place to begin to educate. And these are people who are looking to make a change.

I'd bet there are a lot more out there like this who are not on MFP ...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy that people want to vilify fast food restaurants and soda pop makers as "THESE ARE THE REASONS PEOPLE ARE OBESE!!!"

If you look at it, these are the same arguments people have been using time and time again on different subjects. Against the LGBT marriage, against drunk driving, against civil rights, against women's choice. All we need is one or two "it's for the children" statements and we'll be all set.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    Against the LGBT marriage, against drunk driving, against civil rights, against women's choice.

LOL one of those things aren't like the others...
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I have always been of the opinion that price and advertising should be regulated to a certain extent. It shouldn't be so inexpensive that it's chosen for budgeting reasons as an alternative to variety (groceries) and it shouldn't be so desirable that it's chosen for image.

Now that there's so much choice such as oatmeal, salads and wraps, fruit, yogurt etc., I'm not so sure.
  • terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Govt. intervention is part of the problem to begin with and far from a solution.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    There's a guy who did an experiment, it's on Netflix, and he ate only fast food for a month, and lost weight.

This isn't the guy, this is a Science Teacher who did this recently & lost 37# just by eating McD's for 3 months
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/01/06/mcdonalds-nutrition-fast-food-mcdonalds-menu/4339395/
  • neanderthin
    Options
    There's a guy who did an experiment, it's on Netflix, and he ate only fast food for a month, and lost weight.

This isn't the guy, this is a Science Teacher who did this recently & lost 37# just by eating McD's for 3 months
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/01/06/mcdonalds-nutrition-fast-food-mcdonalds-menu/4339395/
    That would be a correlation. It's like saying that in murder investigation blood is found at the scene most often, therefore blood is the cause of death. Restricting fast food is not the answer, not even close, imo.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Personally I believe that overall health of a nation should be a grass root ideology that begins at birth, not in old age. For example the USA's cost of health care take up half of the world costs for healthcare, half. And half of that cost is taken up in the last few years of life. If we spend money in the beginning for healthier youth, we have a healthier society and health care cost and administering exponentially is reduced.

Easier said that done unfortunately. It would be like terraforming. Basically we need a shake and bake colony to get the ball rolling.....it'll take decades. lol
  • tedrickp
    Options

Easier said that done unfortunately. It would be like terraforming. Basically we need a shake and bake colony to get the ball rolling.....it'll take decades. lol

Sadly, I also agree with this :frown:
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What happened to individual responsibility and self control?

Bingo.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Bingo.

They're apparently gone. Now what?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Bingo.

1984. Big Brother is coming.
  • bigbootycutey
    bigbootycutey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We should just get ration cards commie style
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Bingo.

1984. Big Brother is coming.

Please tell me you're joking.