WHO: Governments should regulate fast food to slow obesity

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    somewhere, way back, someone said (basically) "education not legislation"...

I agree with that.

FWIW, I'd like to see something like MFP logging done in classrooms everywhere.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    . Bloomberg's approach was moronic, btw. That sort of heavy-handed intrusion does nothing but piss people off.

And yet some how that will not happen with our government....

Sorry but the current C-in-C has shown he could give a rat's *kitten* about the laws.....
    His name sake is proof of that......
    Picking and choosing what is and is not enforced
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    About "paying for obesity"... you pay for it one way or the other.

If the government (somehow) curbs it through regulation, you pay taxes for the regulations.
    If the government doesn't curb it but offers health care, you pay taxes for the extra health care.
    If the government neither curbs it nor offers health care, insurance and health services will be more expensive due to higher demand...

Since the parallel with smoking has been made, IIRC education campaigns and advertising bans proved ineffective, public smoking bans were only debatably effective whereas vice taxes were very effective.

I would have no real problem with vice taxes on "junk food" and "fast food", the real problem would be to find clear definitions of what those things are.

ETA:
    You can argue Canada (or in any case Quebec) is partially doing this already. Restaurant food (all of it) and some food items are subject to normal sales taxes, whereas food items which are considered "groceries" aren't. I'd be really curious to know how they defined the distinction.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There's a vast gulf between what people "should" do and what people actually do.

What people actually do is making them fatter and fatter as a population. All of us - even the people who are healthy and love to show off their abs in their profile pics because they're just so awesome - pay for that through health insurance premiums, whether the government interferes in that or not.

Let me repeat: what people actually do is by and large not what they should do, and it costs us all a lot of money.

This is a problem. There's no easy answer to it, but just saying "people should lose weight themselves" is not an answer. It's a copout.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So question for you Max. Do you know that when you eat meat, dairy and eggs that you are creating the potential for coronary artery disease? Do you know that atherosclerosis starts in childhood, is due to eating meat, dairy and eggs, and progresses throughout our lives? So that as we age this arterial disease leads to strokes, heart disease, and contributes towards diabetes at midlife and later, did you know that?
    Heart disease starts in childhood, unless you are/were eating a plant based diet. Did you know that, with the Internet and all?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did you know that there are studies out there, that say saturated fat cannot be linked to heart disease.....???

Did you know that you can actually eat whole eggs, and you will be fine??

Seriously, I will let jonnythan handle this one....he will have a field day with it.

So you can produce studies that will provide any answer you desire. The question is: which one is truth? With contradictory outcomes, which study contains truth? Is it the one that provides the answer you would like to hear, is that the one that must be the correct one? What is your basis?

Look at cohort studies. Look at meta analysis. These large scale studies, like the Framingham Heart Study. Or the Adventist Health Study. Or the Epic Study. These studies have definitively linked saturated fat and cholesterol to heart disease. Doctors have eliminated this disease by eliminating those 2 things from their diet.
  • BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The problem with not doing anything and letting people decide for themselves is that its costing all of us a lot of money. Healthcare has become very expensive. The lost productivity has a collective toll on the wellbeing of our society. Healthcare is a huge burden that doesn't have to be.

The leading cause of death, worse than all cancers combined, is due to any entirely preventable illness caused by the Western Diet. The cost to our society and economy is huge. There are many societies where heart disease is virtually unheard of.

*sigh*

So we need to take away from the people, more decision making??

Governments should not be allowed to do that.....you are asking for tyranny.....

We don't need more government in this arena....
    Let people bear the costs of their choices.....so get government out of healthcare.
    Let people choose to live healthy and save money or live poorly and pay to keep themselves alive.

No just education. The problem is that the information is readily available yet most people don't know it. Take the example of Bill Clinton. His Drs. caring for him when he was in office didn't tell him that it was the saturated fat and cholesterol in his diet that was causing his heart disease. He had bypass surgery, and still wasn't told that he needed to drastically cut back on animal food (the source of nearly all saturated fat and cholesterol). Then his bypass failed, and he needed stents.
    It wasn't until Dr Dean Ornish wrote him a letter and told him to read Dr Caldwell Essylston's book that someone actually educated him about the cause of his disease and how to prevent it from reoccurring.

My dad has had 2 bypass surgeries over 20 years' time. And it was only last year after watching Forks Over Knives that he actually found out what was causing his disease and that he didn't have to suffer from it; that it was preventable.

How come more people don't know this. It's education. People need to be educated.

Imagine if we eliminated all coronary disease with this education. Imagine what that would do to the economy. (And you could include all adult onset diabetes too because it is the same cause.)

So you are telling me in this day and age, with the Internet at your finger tips, and all the stuff out there....
    And all the various commercials on TV and radio.....

That someone cannot educate themselves???
    We need government to do this??

Hmmm.....ok

Let me say this then....if that is the case, we are truly one F****d society/race

So question for you Max. Do you know that when you eat meat, dairy and eggs that you are creating the potential for coronary artery disease? Do you know that atherosclerosis starts in childhood, is due to eating meat, dairy and eggs, and progresses throughout our lives? So that as we age this arterial disease leads to strokes, heart disease, and contributes towards diabetes at midlife and later, did you know that?
    Heart disease starts in childhood, unless you are/were eating a plant based diet. Did you know that, with the Internet and all?

I'd say that whatever Max is doing, he's doing it right!! :tongue:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    - even the people who are healthy and love to show off their abs in their profile pics because they're just so awesome -

Man dude, that is just wrong....
    Now you are making it personal, because you have no argument....

I actually like you and think you a smart guy......but I have to say,
    that is jerky....
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I'd say that whatever Max is doing, he's doing it right!! :tongue:

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :smooched:
  • MityMax96
    Options

Did you know that there are studies out there, that say saturated fat cannot be linked to heart disease.....???

Seriously, I will let jonnythan handle this one....he will have a field day with it.

So you can produce studies that will provide any answer you desire. The question is: which one is truth? With contradictory outcomes, which study contains truth? Is it the one that provides the answer you would like to hear, is that the one that must be the correct one? What is your basis?

Look at cohort studies. Look at meta analysis. These large scale studies, like the Framingham Heart Study. Or the Adventist Health Study. Or the Epic Study. These studies have definitively linked saturated fat and cholesterol to heart disease. Doctors have eliminated this disease by eliminating those 2 things from their diet.

You are rattling off studies yourself mate.....

Like I said, jonnythan can tell you all you need to know on this.

If you don't want to eat the stuff, then don't.>.....

But I will
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I think governments should use education, not regulation, to battle obesity.

This! I didn't lose weight until I learnt about it. Why? I had no idea how to. With all the lies and scams out there, people really have no idea how weight gain, weight loss happens. Nothing wrong with educating to prevent =)

but did the government educate you, or did you educate yourself?
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Misleading headline, as this isn't a WHO policy statement. It's a proposed possible part of a solution to obesity postulated by a researcher in the discussion section of a scientific research article published in a WHO journal.

It's like the difference between saying "US Federal Government Wants to Ban Football" and an article about brain injuries having the line "to eliminate football-related brain injuries, football may have to be eliminated entirely" in the discussion portion of an article published in a CDC journal.

Knock it off buddy. Throwing around facts will make it hard to be outraged.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Let me say this about that as well

I eat a lot of dairy, eggs, milk, whatever....
    My blood work is great....and my BP has been dropping since August 2013
    Was at 133/73 in August
    Last check I was 118/72

How old are you Max? I'm glad your numbers are great! I hope you never contract heart disease! Your regular exercise helps in this regard too.

As we age it becomes more of a problem because arterial disease is slow and progressive during our entire lives. Half of all people in Western, affluent, industrialized societies will die of heart disease. People who don't eat meat, dairy, and eggs typically have a total cholesterol of less than 140. (I'm 55 years old, and mine is 129). And they don't get heart disease.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So MityMax, are you content with your health insurance costs going up and up thanks to the increasing levels of obesity and expensive lifestyle-related diseases? You keep talking about what people should or can do, but not saying anything at all about what people actually do.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Let me say this about that as well

I eat a lot of dairy, eggs, milk, whatever....
    My blood work is great....and my BP has been dropping since August 2013
    Was at 133/73 in August
    Last check I was 118/72

How old are you Max? I'm glad your numbers are great! I hope you never contract heart disease! Your regular exercise helps in this regard too.

As we age it becomes more of a problem because arterial disease is slow and progressive during our entire lives. Half of all people in Western, affluent, industrialized societies will die of heart disease. People who don't eat meat, dairy, and eggs typically have a total cholesterol of less than 140. (I'm 55 years old, and mine is 129). And they don't get heart disease.

36 yrs old
  • MityMax96
    Options
    So MityMax, are you content with your health insurance costs going up and up thanks to the increasing levels of obesity and expensive lifestyle-related diseases? You keep talking about what people should or can do, but not saying anything at all about what people actually do.

It is going up anyway....and has more to do with Obamacare and government intervention than it does with obesity
  • jonnythan
    Options

It is going up anyway....and has more to do with Obamacare and government intervention than it does with obesity

That's not even an attempt at a response to the question.
  • mark525
    mark525 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe.. and I am just throwing this out there we should try and be accountable for what WE eat. The govt. does not hold a gun to your head to eat fast food. It is a choice each of us make. Keep the govt. out and take care of this on your own.. there are enough options that one can eat healthy if they really want to.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

1. These threads do not end well.
    2. Calorie surplus=weight gain (and that can happen with all types of foods)
    Yup. My mom has been obese her entire life and she never touches fast food. In fact, as far as quality of food goes, she heas one of the healthiest diets of anyone I know. She just eats more than she should and doesn't exercise enough.

Meanwhile, during the years of my life when I ate the most fast food, I was super thin.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Any time there is talk of fast food on here, I seriously want to have that for lunch.

Can I come with??

Absolutley!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The problem with not doing anything and letting people decide for themselves is that its costing all of us a lot of money. Healthcare has become very expensive. The lost productivity has a collective toll on the wellbeing of our society. Healthcare is a huge burden that doesn't have to be.

The leading cause of death, worse than all cancers combined, is due to any entirely preventable illness caused by the Western Diet. The cost to our society and economy is huge. There are many societies where heart disease is virtually unheard of.

*sigh*

So we need to take away from the people, more decision making??

Governments should not be allowed to do that.....you are asking for tyranny.....

We don't need more government in this arena....
    Let people bear the costs of their choices.....so get government out of healthcare.
    Let people choose to live healthy and save money or live poorly and pay to keep themselves alive.

No just education. The problem is that the information is readily available yet most people don't know it. Take the example of Bill Clinton. His Drs. caring for him when he was in office didn't tell him that it was the saturated fat and cholesterol in his diet that was causing his heart disease. He had bypass surgery, and still wasn't told that he needed to drastically cut back on animal food (the source of nearly all saturated fat and cholesterol). Then his bypass failed, and he needed stents.
    It wasn't until Dr Dean Ornish wrote him a letter and told him to read Dr Caldwell Essylston's book that someone actually educated him about the cause of his disease and how to prevent it from reoccurring.

My dad has had 2 bypass surgeries over 20 years' time. And it was only last year after watching Forks Over Knives that he actually found out what was causing his disease and that he didn't have to suffer from it; that it was preventable.

How come more people don't know this. It's education. People need to be educated.

Imagine if we eliminated all coronary disease with this education. Imagine what that would do to the economy. (And you could include all adult onset diabetes too because it is the same cause.)

So you are telling me in this day and age, with the Internet at your finger tips, and all the stuff out there....
    And all the various commercials on TV and radio.....

That someone cannot educate themselves???
    We need government to do this??

Hmmm.....ok

Let me say this then....if that is the case, we are truly one F****d society/race

Please substantiate

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-disease-starts-in-childhood/

Lol, something unbiased please