tattoo argument with spouse

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that I think it will probably matter where you get the tattoo. When I worked at 24 hour fitness there were these 2 very fit and well over 40 year old females who wore pretty revealing clothing. One day both of them ended up with "tramp stamp" tattoos to show off. Just IMO, they could have done much better than that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    women are getting them on their collar bone, or upper back.

If I got one it would be on my upper back, center. Mostly because of all the tattoos I've ever seen on women in various places, that seems the most feminine and pretty to me.

And I'm 37 and don't have any tattoos yet.

If that is what you really want that is great, my point is that so many people now a days get tattoo's just so people can see them, not because they like them. Don't get me wrong, I really think if you really want a tattoo, get it where you want it, because it's your body, and you are the only one who can pick what you like.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think you should really consider your spouses input on this one. While it is YOUR body, he's the one who has to look at it. I talked with my husband some about getting a Tattoo, telling him I want a Japanese Snow Cherry Bonsai on my back... like covering my back. Its meaningful to me, as well as a favorite hobby of mine, and my favorite tree. However, when my husband said, "I don't really like tattoo's and would rather you not get it as I am the one who will be seeing it all the time"... I accepted that and decided that I won't get it done. Simply because I respect his wishes, likes and desires. Going against a voiced objection, even one revolving your own body, from someone you cared enough to marry, would be like slapping them in the face. That's just not a good place to go in any relationship, unless you want it to end poorly.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If I got one it would be on my upper back, center. Mostly because of all the tattoos I've ever seen on women in various places, that seems the most feminine and pretty to me.

If that is what you really want that is great, my point is that so many people now a days get tattoo's just so people can see them, not because they like them. Don't get me wrong, I really think if you really want a tattoo, get it where you want it, because it's your body, and you are the only one who can pick what you like.
    I've been thinking about it for so long, it's definitely for me and not to show anything off. It would be somethingmeaningful (I have a few ideas). I just like that specific spot on a woman. I wouldn't want it on my arm or leg and definitely not a tramp stamp. I had a yoga instructor who had one between her shoulder blades and I thought it was so pretty. It was the first time I ever even considered getting one.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Lol @ life changing! Nope, you get one and life carries on as usual.
    This...
    I've gotten tattooed before and after I had my son. It hasn't hindered my ability to raise my kid. It's one thing for someone to give you their opinion on a tattoo, but ultimately, it's your body. Now, I understand if financially it's not the best time to get one (I've had to reschedule appointments I've deposits on because of unexpected bills and stuff). If not, welp, it's your money. I say just do it.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think you should really consider your spouses input on this one. While it is YOUR body, he's the one who has to look at it. I talked with my husband some about getting a Tattoo, telling him I want a Japanese Snow Cherry Bonsai on my back... like covering my back. Its meaningful to me, as well as a favorite hobby of mine, and my favorite tree. However, when my husband said, "I don't really like tattoo's and would rather you not get it as I am the one who will be seeing it all the time"... I accepted that and decided that I won't get it done. Simply because I respect his wishes, likes and desires. Going against a voiced objection, even one revolving your own body, from someone you cared enough to marry, would be like slapping them in the face. That's just not a good place to go in any relationship, unless you want it to end poorly.

The point I was trying to make also, though you said it much better.
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    I love body-defilement! Sign me up for more. Getting my next on Saturday, actually. All mine are in hidden locations, due to work, but I love them anyway. My husband wasn't a fan of me having tattoos, even though he has three himself. I just figure, my body, my choice. No regrets, and I've had my first one since I was 17.
    I've seen so many say Tats are hot and in the same sentence they are hidden for work or just hidden. I don't know why work would be a reason to hide a tat if it's an accepted form of art.

Because some people in upper management have your mentality and say you can have them but they must be covered up. Just like you may not have any piercings other than a maximum of two in your ears for females and none for males. It's a dress code and if you don't like it, you don't have to work there.
    If you make a comment based on a portion of a person's view then you are only able to comment of what you've read and nothing else. I stated in the beginning I don't judge people if they get tats so my mentality is not the same as upper management. Just like the person who accused me of throwing bibles don't make statements based on the portion of someones views you don't agree with.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    get a tatt of hubbys name everyone wins
    never do that unless its your kids
    +1
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

I've been thinking about it for so long, it's definitely for me and not to show anything off. It would be somethingmeaningful (I have a few ideas). I just like that specific spot on a woman. I wouldn't want it on my arm or leg and definitely not a tramp stamp. I had a yoga instructor who had one between her shoulder blades and I thought it was so pretty. It was the first time I ever even considered getting one.

Yeah I think when I said it, it just came off wrong haha, I was just giving some examples of things I have seen some drunk people do, who really don't even want them. I have no problem with them anywhere at all as long as somebody likes their tattoo, and that is what they want. Sounds like you put a ton of thought into it, so stop thinking about it, and go do it now! The first step is getting in the tattoo shop!
  • rml_16
    Options

Yeah I think when I said it, it just came off wrong haha, I was just giving some examples of things I have seen some drunk people do, who really don't even want them. I have no problem with them anywhere at all as long as somebody likes their tattoo, and that is what they want. Sounds like you put a ton of thought into it, so stop thinking about it, and go do it now! The first step is getting in the tattoo shop!
    I'm still deciding WHAT I want. Well, color, anyway. I'm pretty sure I want the Chinese dragon symbol (my sign) or an actual dragon or possibly something that incorporates a dragon and a Capricorn ... So, you see my dilemma.

Plus, I am a total wimp about pain and even worse about spending money on something unneccesary.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    OP I feel your pain! I got one about 10 years ago and my dh won't let me forget it. I was a vet tech and got a SMALL paw print on my ankle. The size of a quarter, no lie. Dh was ready to divorce me, saying that women with tats look ugly and trashy. Gee, thanks! Also, in the summer when I'm not wearing socks he constantly points it out and says "I still can't believe you did that without asking me first." Really??????

So do what YOU want, just be prepared for all the ridicule you may receive! I won't get another one, but I wanted a paw print because I was a vet tech and loved animals.

My FIL, who is a millionaire, also hates them and said that when he dies he will have a doctor inspect my children for any ink. If they have any tats then they don't get a dime of his money. It's even in his will! I know that's where my husband gets his hatred for tats. So hopefully they won't get any until he dies and then use his money if they want one. LOL!
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    I'm still deciding WHAT I want. Well, color, anyway. I'm pretty sure I want the Chinese dragon symbol (my sign) or an actual dragon or possibly something that incorporates a dragon and a Capricorn ... So, you see my dilemma.

Plus, I am a total wimp about pain and even worse about spending money on something unneccesary.

How about getting one that reads: "Tattoos were really trendy in 2014."

(So you will always remember this time)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are just trashy!!!!

Seriously though why are we listening to old peoples opinions of tattoos!? Why are those people relevant!?
    Heh heh heh... Because we can SMASH you! :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

Of course. Because I only ever do what's trendy.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Get the tattoo! If it's special to you, it's YOUR body. You have every right to adorn it as you see fit.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Wow, dude, what's with the hate?
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    BTW, I have two tattoos, both behind my ears. Neither hurt. Gonna get a side piece this summer.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Uuugg. fighting with the husband over as yet non-existent tattoo = really dumb argument!!!
    So what if I'm honest and like the fact 90% of the people I know won't see my tattoo coming. I'm still getting it for me. It Doesn't mean I can't enjoy just a little shock value...right?
    He said its a life changing thing. I can't possibly know what its like. That set me off! Oh really!?! like, altering my body beyond recognition to have a child??? that kind of life altering thing??? Lets see...Choosing a piece of art versus my body conforming to accommodate a child... yep I'll take the 100% my choice art work thanks.
    Really I only had 3 beers lol.
    .Not judging people who get tats.
    defiling the body? eh? not judging......come on, if you going to throw bibles at it atleast be honest as well.

Right? I mean, drinking "defiles" the body, so does smoking, eating bad foods, getting too much sun.... Wonder how many of those things that dude did in his day....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My wife wants a tattoo. I don't like tattoos. So I told her I'd rather she didn't get a tattoo, and got the standard "my body my decision" yadda yadda ..

Well, I'd like a brand .. so I said "ok, cool, get your tattoo and I'll get a brand." .. the first thing out of her mouth was "you will NOT get a brand, that's disgusting"

So I said .. ok. Just don't get a tattoo, then.