Yet another reason to avoid Subway

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
Apparently, for years Subway has been using an ingredient in its bread called azodicarbonamide. This chemical is also found in yoga mats and shoe rubber. I would imagine that it was used because there is some kind of cost benefit (yay capitalism!) but luckily the info was uncovered and Subway is changing its ways:
http://business.time.com/2014/02/06/subway-chemical-bread-yoga-mat-rubber/

It makes me wonder what other chemicals Subway is using in its ingredients and if any of them can be trusted. Personally, I would rather get a sandwich from my local Italian deli anyway, it may have more calories but at least I know what's in it...

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Years ago I read that Subway had more instances of food poisoning that any other fast food chain in the nation. Apparently they have issues keeping their meat at cool enough of a temp, EWWW.
    Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain.
    Thanks to the letter grade system, we can avoid these sh*tholes.
    Gnarly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did you seriously think that Subway's bread was free of chemical additives? Or that the bread from other restaurants do not also contain chemical additives?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering.

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Good one!
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    will i burn more calories if i eat yoga mat materials?
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    *sigh* in, because I'm sure this is gonna end awesomely

*gets out popcorn and takes a seat*
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just had Subway for lunch. Yummy yoga mat
  • SolitudesMuse
    SolitudesMuse Posts: 67 Member
    Options

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

Studies have shown that 100% of people who consume dihydrogen monoxide die.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That's weird, but I don't do subway too often....I can't get past the fact that they use the same knife for EVERY THING.:sick:
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding Subway for months since my boyfriend found the leg of a cockroach in the sandwich after he took a bite. We still don't know if the crunchiness on his sandwich was due to the bread or because he ate a roach :laugh:

Since then I try to avoid Subway as much as I can!
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lets all be entirely honest about this whole thing. We'll never know what we ingest unless you specifically do the scientific study yourself. No matter if you go to Subway or if you go to your local Italian Deli.

You may drink milk, but do you know what else is in there besides milk? Did you milk it yourself? Did you raise the cow and feed it yourself?
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding Subway for months since my boyfriend found the leg of a cockroach in the sandwich after he took a bite. We still don't know if the crunchiness on his sandwich was due to the bread or because he ate a roach :laugh:

Since then I try to avoid Subway as much as I can!

Extra protein never hurt. hah
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain."

Nothing to do with Subway. Simply related to the New Yorker Subway owner's inability to keep a clean store.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Lol! I prefer my dihydrogen monoxide straight.

Went to Subway today, but I skipped the bread, so I guess I'm safe! Whew!

Wait! I did have some of the lunch meat in my Subway Club salad! Oh no! I'm in trouble, now! Guess I've blown my diet and I can just binge on soda, fast food, and candy for the rest of the year. Next January 1st, I'll resolve to get healthy again!
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lets all be entirely honest about this whole thing. We'll never know what we ingest unless you specifically do the scientific study yourself. No matter if you go to Subway or if you go to your local Italian Deli.

You may drink milk, but do you know what else is in there besides milk? Did you milk it yourself? Did you raise the cow and feed it yourself?

Exactly.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Totally unrelated...but your hair is dope Kickivale.:flowerforyou:
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised. Yuck! Subway is that good anyway.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I hope this Subway bread thread goes as well as the last one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169540-evil-subway-read-this-if-you-eat-at-there