• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i didnt even need 1, let alone another.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    *grabs my pitchfork and joins the angry mob*

Actually, I'm using that pitchfork to get to the front of the line for some delicious yoga mat!
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    all prepared food is full of toxins and poisons...they want us sick...can't make money if you are healthy
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

Studies have shown that 100% of people who consume dihydrogen monoxide die.

Studies show that 100% of people who consume oxygen die also..... :bigsmile:
  • chayil_003
    chayil_003 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Subway anymore. The last time I went which was about a week ago they tried to charge the full price of a drink for a water cup. I just asked for water. I did not want chips, cookies or soda. They said that they don't have water cups: wither buy the bottle of water or buy the drink cup to fill it with tap water.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!
    YOU WANT ME TO PAY FOR TAP WATER?????????????????????????
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That's weird, but I don't do subway too often....I can't get past the fact that they use the same knife for EVERY THING.:sick:

Me either!!
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Apparently, for years Subway has been using an ingredient in its bread called azodicarbonamide. This chemical is also found in yoga mats and shoe rubber. I would imagine that it was used because there is some kind of cost benefit (yay capitalism!) but luckily the info was uncovered and Subway is changing its ways:
    http://business.time.com/2014/02/06/subway-chemical-bread-yoga-mat-rubber/

It makes me wonder what other chemicals Subway is using in its ingredients and if any of them can be trusted. Personally, I would rather get a sandwich from my local Italian deli anyway, it may have more calories but at least I know what's in it...

Almost ALL bread you buy at the grocery store has azodicarbonamide in it. Next time you're there pick up a few different brands and check out the label. Off the top of my head I have seen it listed in Roman Meal, Arnold, Pepperidge Farms and Wonder bread. That local Italian deli likely uses it too if they use a large supplier for their bread.

ETA: http://www.goodguide.com/ingredients/37393-azodicarbonamide

You've probably been eating it in a lot more products than you think.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Subway anymore. The last time I went which was about a week ago they tried to charge the full price of a drink for a water cup. I just asked for water. I did not want chips, cookies or soda. They said that they don't have water cups: wither buy the bottle of water or buy the drink cup to fill it with tap water.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!
    YOU WANT ME TO PAY FOR TAP WATER?????????????????????????

Go to any grocery store and pick up a 24 pack of bottle water. Guess what!? It's tap water too!!
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    all prepared food is full of toxins and poisons...they want us sick...can't make money if you are healthy

YES always this
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This says "yet another reason". Can someone remind me what was the first reason? .
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    *grabs my pitchfork and joins the angry mob*

Actually, I'm using that pitchfork to get to the front of the line for some delicious yoga mat!

Nice Legs :) Please don't poke me with that pitch fork!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Years ago I read that Subway had more instances of food poisoning that any other fast food chain in the nation. Apparently they have issues keeping their meat at cool enough of a temp, EWWW.
    Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain.
    Thanks to the letter grade system, we can avoid these sh*tholes.
    Gnarly.

Seriously, Subway is a franchiser, and one of the cheapest franchise restaurants on the market. A lot of people are purchasing Subway franchises because they want to be an entrepreneur and Subway is so affordable to buy into. That doesn't necessarily mean that these individuals have any knowledge or experience whatsoever in food management.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Apparently, for years Subway has been using an ingredient in its bread called azodicarbonamide. This chemical is also found in yoga mats and shoe rubber. I would imagine that it was used because there is some kind of cost benefit (yay capitalism!) but luckily the info was uncovered and Subway is changing its ways:

It makes me wonder what other chemicals Subway is using in its ingredients and if any of them can be trusted. Personally, I would rather get a sandwich from my local Italian deli anyway, it may have more calories but at least I know what's in it...

I don't have any studies to back it up but I heard from my best friends sister's baby's daddy that their subs also contain Carbon!!! Can you believe that!?!? Imagine eating these things and all of the sudden your bodies global warming potential skyrockets!!! COUNT ME OUT!! :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with Subway….except for the fact that IT'S A SUBWAY :bigsmile:

Sure it's up to location management, but companies have a duty to set and maintain standards.
    "Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain."

Nothing to do with Subway. Simply related to the New Yorker Subway owner's inability to keep a clean store.

See my above post. Subway franchises their brand. They set the standards but they don't regulate private owners. It doesn't work that way. When you buy a Subway franchise, you are buying your own restaurant and are simply leasing the right to use the Subway name. You are required to use their food distributor so that the product is consistent from store to store, but managing your brand new Subway restaurant is on you.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    what else the chemical is used in is irrelevant.

If it causes some type of cancer, other disease, bad health when ingested, then lets take it out.
    But when people try to change public opinion of a entire chain or type of bread because one of the chemicals is used in the same material as yoga mats? Thats ridiculous. Everything is made of chemicals. The beauty of chemicals (and chemistry (science!) in general) is that they can be mixed together with other chemicals in different ways to form two amazingly different things, that have no relation to one another. Example bread and yoga mats.
    KA-CHING!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

Really? Can you provide links to those studies?
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options

I just went over this with a friend on FB. Did you look up what the chemical is?

wiki says-
    "Azodicarbonamide is used as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. It reacts with moist flour as an oxidizing agent.[2] The main reaction product is biurea,[3] a derivative of urea, which is stable during baking. Secondary reaction products include semicarbazide[4] and ethyl carbamate.[5] The United States and Canada permit the use of azodicarbonamide at levels up to 45 ppm.[6][7] In Australia, the UK , and Europe the use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned[8] . In Singapore, use is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $450,000"

It's not illegal and you're probably eating it still if you consume any kind of bread product.

Media has become lazy and sensationalistic. The reports that do no define what azodicarbonamide is - is bad reporting.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Years ago I read that Subway had more instances of food poisoning that any other fast food chain in the nation. Apparently they have issues keeping their meat at cool enough of a temp, EWWW.
    Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain.
    Thanks to the letter grade system, we can avoid these sh*tholes.
    Gnarly.

Seriously, Subway is a franchiser, and one of the cheapest franchise restaurants on the market. A lot of people are purchasing Subway franchises because they want to be an entrepreneur and Subway is so affordable to buy into. That doesn't necessarily mean that these individuals have any knowledge or experience whatsoever in food management.

Ughhhhhh. People who don't have any knowledge or experience in food management SHOULDN'T SERVE FOOD!!!
    This is the sort of wildly irresponsible stuff that gets people ill, then the ill person sues, then the moron who opened the Subway that they ran terribly has to shut down because they can't pay the settlement.
    This is not a dig on entrepreneurs, its a statistic about the gross warm meat they are serving and the filthy countertops. My husband opens restaurants for a living, I'm aware of the importance of people getting a chance to find success. But do it right or don't do it at all!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Really? Can you provide links to those studies?

Dihydrogen monoxide. My favorite killer.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Meh...I'd rather have Penn Station or Quiznos.

Wait.....those are safe....right?

W2NWmK