How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options
I have been on my journey for the past 4 months with awesome results. As i begin my new workout regiment that a RL buddy is helping me put together for Strength Training, I keep hearing him, and others through research, mention "keeping it clean". Now being the noob i am, i assume i know what they are all saying cause no one ever really says what they mean, but, I want to get a feel from my new extended family.....

What does "keeping it clean" mean for you in terms of nutritional intake?!?!

CK

Replies

• MelanieAanonson
    Options
    No more (or minimalize) processed crap! If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body. Clean eating typically increases performance. This can be taken to a "whole" foods diet or to a "paleo" diet. (Diet as in what you put in your body - NOT diet as in cutting back on calories until your light headed all the time and cant get 30 minutes in at the gym) Many ways to go about this and different things work for different people. Find what works best for your body.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    absolutely nothing, there is no such thing as a "clean" food. you can have what you want in moderation
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of nutritional paths depending on who you are and what your needs are. I think keeping it clean just means whatever nutritional plans/requirements you are on, you stick to that. Keeping it clean for me means no junk.. everything I eat must be nutritionally dense and within my daily requirements based on the macros I've established on here and alcohol to a minimum. It might mean something else to someone else.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not eating too much junk food. Eat nutrient dense foods most of the time. Some people claimn to stick strictly to 'clean' foods (whole natural foods), but most add a few not-so-clean foods in now and then.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    I have been on my journey for the past 4 months with awesome results. As i begin my new workout regiment that a RL buddy is helping me put together for Strength Training, I keep hearing him, and others through research, mention "keeping it clean". Now being the noob i am, i assume i know what they are all saying cause no one ever really says what they mean, but, I want to get a feel from my new extended family.....

What does "keeping it clean" mean for you in terms of nutritional intake?!?!

CK

Check out IIFYM (if it fits your macro's) everyone from athlete's, body builders and everyday people like you and me have used it to transform their bodies.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is just making sure you have a varied and balanced diet: fruit, veggies, lean meats, complex carbs... and leaving out all the processed foods like mac'n'cheese and ramen. But that should only be a concern if you want healthy skin, hair, longevity and **** like that. If you want to lose weight, just watch how much you eat and eat in moderation.
    Personally, I like eating junk food. And the key to healthy eating is what you eat, not what you don't eat. You can eat a serving a hohos every day, and still be healthy, so long as you're eating veggies and fruit. So yeah, its making sure I get the nutrients my body needs to function well. I'm still going to eat poptarts though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wash all my hands and food before I eat it.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    Eating clean is just making sure you have a varied and balanced diet: fruit, veggies, lean meats, complex carbs... and leaving out all the processed foods like mac'n'cheese and ramen. But that should only be a concern if you want healthy skin, hair, longevity and **** like that. If you want to lose weight, just watch how much you eat and eat in moderation.
    Personally, I like eating junk food. And the key to healthy eating is what you eat, not what you don't eat. You can eat a serving a hohos every day, and still be healthy, so long as you're eating veggies and fruit. So yeah, its making sure I get the nutrients my body needs to function well. I'm still going to eat poptarts though.
    ^ this
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There are some chemicals/minerals/ingredients that push back on measurements and visual results - sodium and processed sugars usually get the blame.

Abs are made in the kitchen. But truthfully portion control and moderation are key to getting rid of flab.
  • SunShineBeastess
    SunShineBeastess Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I try and follow as close to Paleo nutrition as possible = try and eat as little or no processed food as possible. Paleo = if a caveman was alive how or what would he eat. No grocery store bag food etc. I too have had great success with this down 40 pounds and 25 inches. I also watch my carb intake, but with working out we still need 150g minimum or so porbably more for a guy. Good Luck on continued sucess!!! You got this! Read the websit "Mark's Daily Apple".

Sandy
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Clean to me means tracking calories and macros and keeping food to a minimum. Dirty is eat as much of and whatever you like. Nice way to gain 20lbs in 5 weeks.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

^^ along with eating from a clean fork and plate. :drinker:
  • thekyleo
    Options
    Clean to me means tracking calories and macros and keeping food to a minimum. Dirty is eat as much of and whatever you like. Nice way to gain 20lbs in 5 weeks.

uhh food to a minimum? Dafuq?
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just eat food lol. I hate this term. Just eat better in general (more fruits, veggies, whole grains). Enough w/the labels! I simply balance my diet now. I eat lower calorie foods most of the time, but I still have "cheat" days. Treat it like a lifestyle change. Eat in a fashion that you can sustain for the rest of your life, while still maintaining your weight and staying healthy.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    I don't. I just eat food lol. I hate this term. Just eat better in general (more fruits, veggies, whole grains). Enough w/the labels! I simply balance my diet now. I eat lower calorie foods most of the time, but I still have "cheat" days. Treat it like a lifestyle change. Eat in a fashion that you can sustain for the rest of your life, while still maintaining your weight and staying healthy.

^She knows what's up
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    absolutely nothing, there is no such thing as a "clean" food. you can have what you want in moderation

^ This. Just try not to eat as much crap.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options

^^ along with eating from a clean fork and plate. :drinker:

I was about to respond "theres always one" - but i quickly was shown the err of my judgment...."Theres always two or more:)"
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    "Clean" means something different to everyone. I've been eating my own version of 'clean' for a month now, purely for nutrition reasons, not to lose more weight, and I honestly feel amazing. I eat whole foods, organic, lean proteins, etc. As little processed food as possible. I think what I go for though is 'basic eating'; I don't add a tablespoon of sauce here or fifty different seasonings and extra ingredients. If I'm having chicken and veggies for dinner, then that's exactly what I'm having.

This doesn't mean I feel guilty about the occasional burger and beer, though!
  • SoTiredOfMe
    SoTiredOfMe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Eating clean means eating mostly non-processed foods, meaning that there IS something called clean eating. Of course, any human being is going to eat the occasional candy and cake, but that's up to what you can handle or want to put in your system. It's not something you can do over night. Small changes make lasting results.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Washing your hands before you eat. That usually helps.