A question for the men...

Options
Ladies, you can answer too :smile:

Do you feel Valentines Day is just another money grabbing day ?

If it were up to you, would you prefer not getting anything for your SO, if you knew she wouldn't be upset?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Valentine's day for what it stands for. I am not all for what it has become commercially. But that is true of most things for me.
  • undertall2014
    Options
    I think it's much more special if your partner did something for you...not bought you stuff. Make your favorite dinner, give you a massage or just let you hold the remote!
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    or just let you hold the remote!

:laugh:
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it's much more special if your partner did something for you...not bought you stuff. Make your favorite dinner, give you a massage or just let you hold the remote!

I would be ecstatic to hold the remote. Just once.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Valentine's day for what it stands for. I am not all for what it has become commercially. But that is true of most things for me.

This. It has gotten so blown out of proportion that it almost ruins it (Kinda like Christmas). Go out to a nice dinner, or even spend time cooking one for ourselves at home, but please don't waste our hard earned money on chocolates or flowers. I don't need them.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Good Giod if he just did the dishes cooked and cleaned for one day....and a back rub.....that would be heaven!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Valentine's Day is a money grab.

And no, I don't want anything.

Well, maybe a burger.

And some fries.

And a large Coke.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    call me a soppy fool, but I quite like it!
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I don't need hallmark to remind me that I love my wife. She does that for me everyday.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's another hallmark holiday scam....
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can definitely be a money grabbing day.

That doesn't mean it has to be.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't know or care if it's a money grab. Several years back I looked up the history of it and learned that there was a strong tradition of writing letters and poems way back. Therefore, for the first Valentine's Day with my wife, I wrote a poem and had a calligrapher transcribe it onto parchment. Since then we try to do something or other, big or small. This year, it will be binge-watching House of Cards while eating a Heart-shaped pizza.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I tell my girlfriend I don't need a special day of the year to show her how much I appreciate her. We both agree it's a money-grab for media-zombie'd suckers. No offense if you're all into it.
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    it is so over-commercialized.... such a Hallmark holiday. I would LOVE it if I came home and he had vacuumed, cleaned the bathrooms, dusted and fixed dinner. That would be a Happy Valentines Day!!!
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It is a Hallmark holiday, I think it is ridiculous and my husband knows he doesn't need to get me anything.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I didn't think Valentines Day was that meaningful to me until a guy surprised me with a rose at work last year. It kinda made me heart melt. :blushing:
  • Culrflur
    Options
    I like it because of what it stands for: a day just for showing the people in your life just how much you care about them! I mean, one should do that everyday, but it's nice to have an official day where a little excess is acceptable. I never buy cards or plushies or anything extravagant, so personally I don't consider it a Hallmark Holiday. At most, I get a $1 pack of valentines (if I don't make them myself) and a $3 bag of candy.

Really, it's just an excuse to bake for my friends, be a little extra girly with some pink and red and hearts, and brighten someone's day! I love Valentine's Day!!
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to it.. My wife and I are going to wear red to body pump and then have a nice dinner.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    It's always worth it...
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Im not big on valentine's day. I don't need it to be reminded how much I love my SO or how much he loves me. We actually have no plans for friday. Mind you if he washed the floor Id be estatic!

Although I will give my kids peanut butter cupson V day, cause I can and its chocolate. thats why :smile: