does anyone wanna guess my body fat %?

Options

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Bod pod was very inaccurate for me, luckily I got the opportunity to do hydrostatic weighing soon after that (about a month later) and my BF is 19.5%.
    Just based from that, I would have guessed you are about 24-25. You look awesome though, and you should keep up the good work and not worry so much about the numbers. :smile:

I was hoping to be in maintenance and a 15% body fat would be maintenance worthy.... I don't want to keep up....lol I wanna be done, slight whining. Haha, darn bod pod getting my hopes up

Fifteen percent is what women diet down to for competition, it's in no way maintainable in the long term.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    And the result is:
    Body mass: 143.535 lb
    Fat free mass: 121.094 lb
    Fat mass: 22.441 lb
    Fat percentage: 15.6%

That fat free mass # seems high to me. I did the bod pod a few months ago and read up on it beforehand and from what I read, the average lbm (fat free mass is the same thing, right ?) for a woman is about 100 lbs (depending on height of course). I also read a few blogs of women who had done the bod pop and they all had 99 -102 lbs of lbm.
    Anyway, when I did the test I weighed 140 lbs and am 5'6". My results were 99. something lbm and the rest was fat, so 40. something lbs of fat = 28.9% bf. I think my results were pretty accurate though, I wanted it to say 24-25%, but it's possible that I'm closer to 29% bc I still need to lose more weight.

Although my results seemed to be somewhat accurate, there's something the tester told me that made me think the test could easily go wrong. She said she was also 29% and then did it again a couple of months later and was 19%. She did not lose any weight and said the only difference was that she had been eating more protein. Now, this woman is in really good shape -she teaches Body Pump, CXWorks, and a boot camp class at the gym. But, she's also 57 years old and the only way to describe her body would be to say she's very "thick" (not as an insult, it's just that if you didn't know her, she looks like an average older woman) not what I think a woman with 19% body fat looks like.

I'm going to do the test again when I lose another 10 lbs just to see if it changes, but I'm not going to let the results determine how I feel. It's only $12 for me to do the bod pod so, it's not really waste of $, but I think looking in the mirror may give me about the same result.
    Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel!

To the op, I think you look great, but I would have guessed anywhere from 22-25% for you.

I have to concur. I have only seen one woman that height who had 120 or so pounds of LBM and she was much more muscular than the OP.

Maybe we are missing something from the pictures, but at 5'5" average LBM would be in the 100-104 range and, while you look great, you do not look like you have an excess amount of muscle mass.

Nothing is certain since we cannot see you in person, and I would expect a higher level of accuracy from bod pod, but this test seems to be a bit of an outlier. I am surprised that whoever gave you the test didn't comment on the numbers. To me, they would have jumped out like flashing red lights.

That being said, I will concur with the others that we are commenting on test results and testing methodology, not on your appearance per se. To be honest, unless there is a specific performance/competitive issue involved, 16% BF has no real value over, say, 20% fat.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Bod pod was very inaccurate for me, luckily I got the opportunity to do hydrostatic weighing soon after that (about a month later) and my BF is 19.5%.
    Just based from that, I would have guessed you are about 24-25. You look awesome though, and you should keep up the good work and not worry so much about the numbers. :smile:

I was hoping to be in maintenance and a 15% body fat would be maintenance worthy.... I don't want to keep up....lol I wanna be done, slight whining. Haha, darn bod pod getting my hopes up

By be done what do you mean? Stop working out? To stay at 15% you would have to work out really hard to maintain that, you couldn't be done. Can you ever really be done???
  • nostress123
    Options

By be done what do you mean? Stop working out? To stay at 15% you would have to work out really hard to maintain that, you couldn't be done. Can you ever really be done???

I don't mean stop working out, I mean move my food and stuff to dedication of maintenance.... I love working out! I'll keep up with my workout program and balance my calorie and macros over the next month and do the bod pod again next month. At least you all have prepared me in case it tells me I'm 25% body fat
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would say 22-25%
  • hotrodhoodlum28
    hotrodhoodlum28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know my bmi just got below overweight, craziness! I'm 5'5" and 145 pounds and 24 years old.... I was considered overweight 5 pounds ago.

My scale tells me my body fat percentage has gone from around 30 to 27... I know it's not the most accurate way to check it though...
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What is your workout regimen?
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I get a BOD POD done once a month (part of the workout training program I am in). At 5'2", 133 lbs...size 6....Bod Pod has me at 37% BF. And yet if you saw me....you would think NO WAY! And I would agree..I have no explanation.

I have come to conclude that the Bod Pod does not accurately reflect my healthy lifestyle journey. I started at 42% BF, so yeah, I lost 5% so far....but I have also lost 26" and 15 lbs since August 2013. I was close to size 10 when I started and now I am a solid size 6.

I go by how my clothes look and feel. It felt GREAT yesterday buying size 6 pants and small tops! I look solid, I have definition...but I still do have noticeable (to me) fat around the midriff.

Thing is...I don't really want to lose anymore inches. I am 46 yrs old and I think what I would have to do to get to 29%BF, I am not sure I am willing to change much more in my eating and working out plans, plus, I think I would look unhealthy. So I guess I am stuck in the "excess fat" category. :)

It....like the scale...is just a tool! IMO, it is how you look, how your clothes look and how you feel that matter.
  • nostress123
    Options

A mix of cardio and strength, burning between 3000 & 4000 calories a week. Using dumbbells for strength and bodyweight, upper body twice a week, lower body strength twice a week, cardio every workout day. Cardio is interval, tabata, hiit and elliptical. Workout 5-6 days a week sometimes twice a day. Getting new dumbbells because I need a higher weight than 15 pounds now
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

A mix of cardio and strength, burning between 3000 & 4000 calories a week. Using dumbbells for strength and bodyweight, upper body twice a week, lower body strength twice a week, cardio every workout day. Cardio is interval, tabata, hiit and elliptical. Workout 5-6 days a week sometimes twice a day. Getting new dumbbells because I need a higher weight than 15 pounds now

Do you have the ability to join a gym and start lifting some real weights? Weight lifting will allow you to reshape your body to whatever you want it to be.
  • nostress123
    Options
    I'm in the military and have access to the base gym. I also have two small children and go to school among other things.... I'd rather just workout in my basement, which is why I'm investing in a set of interchangeable dumbbells with a kettlebell attachment
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Is this like when my nana asks me how old I think she is? Because i always tell her she doesn't look a day over 30 and it makes her really happy. If so then OP, you don't look like you're a day over 30.

tumblr_inline_mssrsxeJ5N1qz4rgp.gif
  • rooseveltf
    Options
    I did the BOD POD test and my results were 12% in the picture that you see. I thought I would be in the single digits. Your thoughts?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell from pic because its a bit blurry and can't see your legs.

I would say in the area of 21%.

Looking nice btw.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    And the result is:
    Body mass: 143.535 lb
    Fat free mass: 121.094 lb
    Fat mass: 22.441 lb
    Fat percentage: 15.6%
    With the understanding that fitness competitors get to 15% and are absolutely ripped, I'd say the test is over exaggerating your results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    I did the BOD POD test and my results were 12% in the picture that you see. I thought I would be in the single digits. Your thoughts?
    I'd have put you at 10% and under.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get officially tested for body fat percentage on Friday.... Any guesses based off profile photos?
    looks like 36 percent.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    She already had the test months ago and posted the results.....
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm resurrecting this post because I had a bodpod yesterday and the results really surprised me

Drum roll........

15.6%

Bodpods really like that number!

I'm probably 18/19%.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    18-19%