Healthy Snacks??? WTF!!!

Options

Replies

• scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    My snacks of choice are ...

Commercial Processed / Packaged: Yoplait yogurt. Beef Jerky. Bottle of Diet Soda. Nature's Bakery Fig Bars; Cheerios; Canned or Snack Pack size Green Beans, Carrots, Peas, Corn, Mushrooms, Olives. Bacon

Fresh Produce: Celery sliced like fries (and then dipped in mustard); Cantaloupe; Banana; Sliced Green Bell Pepper; Radishes; Green Onions

Now the thing is, to me it isn't so much a cheat, its figuring out where I'm going to get the biggest bang for my buck. In weight loss terms that's fill and flavor vs calorie intake. For that, the best I've found are the Celery sticks, Oatmeal, Banana, and Cantaloupe. From a nutrition balancing standpoint, in my list that'd probably be the Fig Bars. From the items you listed, the granola is likely to be fairly well rounded.

Hmmmm.................Fig Bars.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    What exactly is "bad" about Oreos and ice cream sandwiches? Cite your sources, please.

This

If I want a sweet snack then I might have something along the lines of 2 Oreos (small bwl of ice cream, handful of potato chips) . I can surely arrange my calories and macros to allow for a small treat once a week. Maybe the problem lies not in the Oreos but in consuming more than a reasonable amount.

Yes. I dont see myself eating three Oreos. Playing with fire..................
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Lots of good ideas though.........................Gonna have an orange later.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're at the point that you don't even ask for a cheat day or meal, have whatever you want to have as cheat snack. I don't think you could do much harm. I can hardly think at any snack that could be considered "cheat" and "healthy" all at once.

Doesn't have to be healthy. I just want something tasty, sweet, and filling under 200 calories.

There are several snacks here you could eat for less than 200 kcals but they're not very filling. I think fruit is the only thing you can get in a decent quantity to fill yourself up with 200 kcals. Maybe whole wheat bread sliced with diet jam, or homemade oatmeal cookies. All depends on your definition of "filling" and "tasty". I usually have fruit, yogurt, juice with flakes, cereal bars, or other commercial snacks, but unless it's something kind of raw and handmade, it's hard to get such few calories with a filling serving.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What about fruit dipped in dark chocolate?
    Frozen banana "ice cream" (freeze bananas and then put in blender or if you have a good juicer you can put it through that and it goes fluffy)
    make your own snacks from recipes you feel comfortable with (gluten free, raw foods, etc)
    or just have the serving size of something you really love that is decadent
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I make my own cookie dough, cut my rounds off of it for cookies and freeze it. I pull a few out at a time when I want a cookie. There is no such thing as moderation when it comes to fresh hot cookies out of the oven.

Icecream, real icecream.

I also have a cuisenart frozen yogurt maker that I can make my own frozen yogurt, I even put some kale and spinach into my blender mixture to add a touch of nutrition.

Dark Chocolate

Dried berries....with dark chocolate.
  • johannap731
    johannap731 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mash bananas with almond butter and make pancakes for a snack they are sweet and low calorie.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I invested in a popcorn maker and pop my own kernels. Bit bland but you get used to it.

You could add some of the calorie free "butter" spray. The I Can't Believe It's Not Butter isn't bad at all.
    ~ducks all the 'clean eaters' griping about the chemicals in the spray~
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    IMO anything marketed as 'healthy' or low fat or whatever is likely to be the opposite. If it's a treat I'd rather just have a snicker :)
    Recently discovered payday bars - (I'm in the uk so only some places do them) 7g protein :)
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    BelVita Breakfast cookies
    Luna Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter snack bar
    Luna Protein Chocolate Cookie Dough
    Kind snack bars
    Laura Bars
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream and their chocolate candy
  • TaurusV
    Options
    How is a 200 calorie snack a "cheat"?
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're at the point that you don't even ask for a cheat day or meal, have whatever you want to have as cheat snack. I don't think you could do much harm. I can hardly think at any snack that could be considered "cheat" and "healthy" all at once.

Doesn't have to be healthy. I just want something tasty, sweet, and filling under 200 calories.

Half a pint a of TCBY Strawberry Frozen Greek Yogurt. I just downed a whole pint at only 400 calories for the whole thing?! I'm in love.
  • TaurusV
    Options
    italian gelato

A typical 3.5-ounce serving of vanilla ice cream (small) contains 125 calories, 7 grams of fat and 14 grams of sugar.
    Because the lower fat content in gelato means your taste buds can experience flavors more intensely, gelato does not need as much added sugar as ice cream to produce the same sweet flavor.

I never eat ice cream, only gelato with small amount of dark chocolate melted on top, hmmm I am hungry now ...
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've recently been doing the low calorie pudding you cook yourself, and using soy milk instead of regular milk, then add a dollop of light whipped cream. It satisfies my sweet tooth, is pretty low cal, and I think it's filling.
    Otherwise, you could try some sort of vegetable dip with celery or a small portion of bread.
    I enjoy pumpernickel bread in spinach dip. (*^ワ^*)
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter cups with very little sugar and not processed and dairy free! My little boy is allergic to dairy and soya so this is a great little treat for him!
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    no sugar add turkey hill Vanilla Ice Cream with 2 or 3 strwaberrys chopped and mixed in ice cream is 70 cal then just add strawberry cal
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Okay,

So I have been a good boy and have been eating "clean" for over 3 months.

-I don't want a cheat day
    -I don't want a cheat meal
    I want a cheat snack once a week.

Preferably under 200 calories and filling. Anyway I figured I would stay away from "bad" snacks like Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Keebler Cookies, Ice Cream sandwiches and look at "healthy" snacks. So I am at the store looking at the nutritional labels on granola bars, rice cakes, oatmeal bars, fiber bars, graham crackers, ritz crackers, saltines, etc etc etc and getting a headache. And to my amazement when you compare similar gram weights of the "healthly" snacks to Oreos, the Oreos (3 cookies) have a similar or better calorie/nutrient component than the healthy snacks. WTF!

So besides fruit, yogurt, jello, and low cal sugar free pudding, which I am leaning to anyway. Does anyone have any ideas on some good snack ideas I can look at. The low cal pudding and low cal whipped cream looks pretty good. I could get by on that for a few years.

BTW. These food companies are sneaky bastardos. They take Oreos, make them bite sized, stick them in a small package and label them as 100 calories Oreos. Hey, you are just putting fewer of the same damn Oreos in a smaller package. Don't tell me they are 100 calorie Oreos! They are the same Oreo.......

I use Isagenix so I buy their protein bars and snack items which also pack protein. The protein bars are all natural with 24 g of protein and 240 calories - a meal replacement actually. For the salty side I eat their Whey thins. they are a new product. 100 calories and they come in BBQ or sour cream and chive flavor. I really like them both. I try to go for one of those options instead of a processed unnatural snack that just has calories and no nutrition. Eat to live, don't live to eat is my motto.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter cups with very little sugar and not processed and dairy free! My little boy is allergic to dairy and soya so this is a great little treat for him!

Recipe please!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    BTW. These food companies are sneaky bastardos. They take Oreos, make them bite sized, stick them in a small package and label them as 100 calories Oreos. Hey, you are just putting fewer of the same damn Oreos in a smaller package. Don't tell me they are 100 calorie Oreos! They are the same Oreo.......
    I don't know anyone who thinks the foods in the 100 calorie packs are any different than the original. The purpose of those products is to help people deal with portion control. 1) Most people don't know what 100 calories worth of cookies looks like. 2) Even for people who know what a reasonable portion is, it's much easier to limit intake when it's already in a ready to take portion...it's harder to stop once you open a regular, full size box of cookies.

Love those thingies! And yes, at only 100 calories a pop I can have them with lunch every other day or as a snack , and they are fairly easy to fit into my calorie allotment. The pieces are made smaller and the creme filling is omitted, so you get like 20 pieces per container, super crunchy and yup 100 calories. I can't buy multiple bags at once, though. I'd just eat everything
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My favorite processed treat is cinnamon raisin bread toasted with butter. mmm.
    Also, trader joe's makes some good ice cream cookie sandwiches. they are actually the best thing ever if you want something sweet. They are 440 calories though.
    I currently have a stash of trader joe's Soy Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches, which are only 90 calories. They are also decently priced, don't have any HFCS (but they do have industrial caramel coloring). But if you're looking for a cheat they are decent.
    By favorite 200 calorie sweet treat however is telanti gelato. It's about 200-250 calories/serving and is heaven on earth. Best thing, it only has like five ingredients. My favorite is the sea salt caramel one. The caribbean coconut is also really good, the vanilla bean one is decent. But the sea salt caramel one is freaking orgasmic. And no HFCS.

The skinny cow stuff is tasty too I'm not going to lie, but if you care about eating clean definitely check out the ingredient list before you buy. They not only have HFCS but a lot of other additives.