Biggest Loser's Rachel Frederickson's 155 weight loss??

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't know what y'all are looking at but Rachel looks anorexic and has the typical "look" of anorexia when looking at her. Also she went from looking like a fresh faced 24 year old to looking like a 40 year old woman who is trying to look 20 something. She sure is the "biggest loser" looking like that and is unhealthy with a BMI of 18, classifying her as underweight. Yuck.

Oh dear... So if being slightly under a bmi range that's derived from a fundamentally flawed system anyway classifies them as "yuck" and "anorexic" to you then I must make your eyes bleed. Sorrynotsorry

Double standard here. No doubt you'd have a fit if I said anyone over their bmi range was "disgusting" and "grossly obese."
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    methinks a lot of people here would be all up in arms if this thread was full of people calling someone a loser and yucky because they were a couple pounds overweight according to the BMI...or even quite overweight.....yet its ok to call someone a yucky loser because they're a few pounds underweight? love the double standards.

I'm more disgusted by what she is willing to do for money than what she looks like, and I thought I made that clear in my posts. But you can take whatever you want from this thread. If you want to call genuine concern body-shaming so you can justify her behavior, then whatever, no one will be able to convince you otherwise. I personally don't see any double standards here. The public's reaction to the woman that wanted break the world record for being obese, and thereby winning a cash prize (not to mention making money and publicity for her fat-fetish website) was exactly the same.

i was actually responding to the people that called her a "loser" and "yucky" on the last few pages and haven't even seen a single one of your posts on this, not sure why you think i'm referring to you or why you need to be defensive....unless you have said these things and I just didn't happen to catch it from you in which case you'd still be guilty of using mean words which aren't necessary in the case of genuine concern...if you haven't said anything like that, then i'm not talking to you...but since you already assumed i was for some reason, maybe no one will be able to convince you otherwise
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    methinks a lot of people here would be all up in arms if this thread was full of people calling someone a loser and yucky because they were a couple pounds overweight according to the BMI...or even quite overweight.....yet its ok to call someone a yucky loser because they're a few pounds underweight? love the double standards.

I'm more disgusted by what she is willing to do for money than what she looks like, and I thought I made that clear in my posts. But you can take whatever you want from this thread. If you want to call genuine concern body-shaming so you can justify her behavior, then whatever, no one will be able to convince you otherwise. I personally don't see any double standards here. The public's reaction to the woman that wanted break the world record for being obese, and thereby winning a cash prize (not to mention making money and publicity for her fat-fetish website) was exactly the same.

i was actually responding to the people that called her a "loser" and "yucky" on the last few pages and haven't even seen a single one of your posts on this, not sure why you think i'm referring to you or why you need to be defensive....unless you have said these things and I just didn't happen to catch it from you in which case you'd still be guilty of using mean words which aren't necessary in the case of genuine concern...if you haven't said anything like that, then i'm not talking to you...but since you already assumed i was for some reason, maybe no one will be able to convince you otherwise

My apologies. You are correct. I left this thread a couple of days ago because it got ridiculous. People can't formulate a thoughtful opinion without ridiculing and demonizing the subject of the conversation.

I'm sorry. I felt like my opinion was under fire and not necessarily my chosen words.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options

My apologies. You are correct. I left this thread a couple of days ago because it got ridiculous. People can't formulate a thoughtful opinion without ridiculing and demonizing the subject of the conversation.

I'm sorry. I felt like my opinion was under fire and not necessarily my chosen words.

nope...i'm not really married to either side of this coin and i agree with points from both camps....i just think a lot of people (not you) must feel pretty free to say whatever rude thing comes to mind when they're safe and secure behind their little computer screens and don't have to say it right to someone's face. The internet seems to breed that mindset unfortunately.
  • Sheenaf8
    Sheenaf8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. The responses on this feed shows me that a lot of people will go to the other extreme of unhealthy just to lose weight. Not healthy at all.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

nope...i'm not really married to either side of this coin and i agree with points from both camps....i just think a lot of people (not you) must feel pretty free to say whatever rude thing comes to mind when they're safe and secure behind their little computer screens and don't have to say it right to someone's face. The internet seems to breed that mindset unfortunately.

Yep, that's true. But honestly, people talked about others behind their backs long before the internet. It's just that now they can spread the gossip and hate that much further.

Sadly, it's human nature (not that it is excusable).
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't know what y'all are looking at but Rachel looks anorexic and has the typical "look" of anorexia when looking at her. Also she went from looking like a fresh faced 24 year old to looking like a 40 year old woman who is trying to look 20 something. She sure is the "biggest loser" looking like that and is unhealthy with a BMI of 18, classifying her as underweight. Yuck.

Oh dear... So if being slightly under a bmi range that's derived from a fundamentally flawed system anyway classifies them as "yuck" and "anorexic" to you then I must make your eyes bleed. Sorrynotsorry

Double standard here. No doubt you'd have a fit if I said anyone over their bmi range was "disgusting" and "grossly obese."

Well, given YOUR stats compared with Rachel's, I'd say the classification system IS flawed. If your pics and stats are current, YOU have an ideal (imo) shape; you also appear healthy, because you appear to have lean body mass. Rachel's face and arms were the appeared to be on the brink of withering away. I think that's due to the measures she took to win. I think a few pounds of muscle and some hydration would make all the difference in the world to her appearance, "health-wise." (She'd appear more healthy looking.)

Point: You and Rachel are apples to dried fruit. :wink:
  • dolinjp2
    Options
    If you've watched Biggest Loser from the begining there has been one or two people per season who looked anorexic at the finale , in attempt to win, however this is first time one of those persons has won. I've always thought they should give the contestants a goal weight to shoot for ( but not at the begining when it would be too daunting), and split the prize, but that wouldn't make good TV of not having a single winner. Maybe they'll change the format after all the backlash from this. She's easily 20 lbs under weight.
  • SpeedyPig629
    Options
    When she left the ranch she was 19% BF and had 121lbs of lean mass and 28.5lbs of fat. Now she is 105lbs. So she lost AT LEAST 30lbs of lean mass IN A MONTH. That is a HUGE amount of lean tissue that she's catabolized in a very short amount of time between the second last episode filming and the finale. Shes not somebody you should look up to, JMO. Losing 45lbs in a month is extreme for anyone, but its ridiculous for someone who was already in a normal weight range. She had to have had a 5000+ deficit a day.

This!!! I couldn't even clap for her. She looked scary.

Personally, I thought Tumi looked the best.
  • SpeedyPig629
    Options
    Rachel does not look amazing. She looks like a haggard husk Karen Carpenter wannabe. Her face was prettier fat. Yuk! Get healthy don't get looking like this shell of a woman. She did not win. She is a loser.

+1
  • SpeedyPig629
    Options
    I don't watch the show but I saw the pictures. When you consider the old adage that the camera adds 10 lbs, I don't even want to think about what she looked like in person. The pictures of Jillian's reaction pretty much say it all.

+1
    +1
    +1
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    people talked about others behind their backs long before the internet. It's just that now they can spread the gossip and hate that much further.

Sadly, it's human nature (not that it is excusable).

preach. people suck. lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. The responses on this feed shows me that a lot of people will go to the other extreme of unhealthy just to lose weight.

Being arguably 10% underweight is nowhere close to "the other extreme" of being 150% overweight and hugely obese.
    Not healthy at all.

Nonsense. She is 1000 times healthier now than when she started.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Was just looking back at the early seasons of The Biggest Loser. The guy who won the 1st season lost 37% of his body weight. He was also the only person to lose over 100 lbs. that season. Now it seems like that's the expected norm, regardless of your starting weight. Rachel Frederickson lost nearly 60%. Seems to me like the show has to keep upping the ante and it's getting out of control. Wonder how much longer before it gets shut down.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ARTICLE FROM E ONLINE:

The Biggest Loser winner probably won't ever look so rail-thin again.
    Producers are considering some "small but significant tweaks" to the series' production, sources connected to the show tell E! News, including more support and check-ins for contestants after they shoot the final episode.
    The conversation about what happens to the contestants after leaving the ranch began when the winner of the most recent season, Rachel Frederickson, lost an additional 45 pounds and shocked the audience during the show's live finale last week. At 5'4", she weighed in at 105 pounds, which puts her below the healthy body mass index, according to the National Institute of Health.

"There might be more focus on what happens to the winner after they are supposedly done with the show," says one source tied to the series. NBC had no comment for this story.
    In past seasons, most contestants have actually gained weight after leaving the ranch where The Biggest Loser is filmed. When they leave the show, they aren't closely monitored or offered the multiple hours of workouts they receive while filming the show. Sources tell us that post-filming timeframe is now front and center. Still, dramatic weight loss will continue to be the focus on the show.

Producers have been quick to respond to health concerns in past seasons. After the "Second Chances" season, when two contestants were hospitalized after a mile-long foot race, producers began checking body temperature during workouts to ensure better safety.
    And despite concerns over how rapidly the contestants lose weight (some up to 20-30 pounds a week), NBC also airs a disclaimer before each episode to let viewers know that the weight-loss tactics used on the show are not for everyone: "Our contestants were supervised by doctors while participating in the show, and their diet and exercise regimen was tailored to their medical status and their specific needs. Consult with your own doctor before embarking on any diet or exercise program."

Frederick's trainer, Dolvett Quince, defended Frederick's extreme weight loss on Facebook: "Biggest Loser is a journey which has its ups and downs. Please try not to look at one slice of Rachel's journey and come to broad conclusions. Rachel's health is, and always has been, my main concern and her journey to good health has not yet ended!!"
    Meanwhile, Bob Harper confessed he was "stunned" by Frederickson's extreme weight loss. Harper, who has been a trainer on "The Biggest Loser" since 2004, said the weight-loss competition has never had a winner who weighed so little. "I was stunned," he said. "We've never had a contestant at 105 pounds."
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Was just looking back at the early seasons of The Biggest Loser. The guy who won the 1st season lost 37% of his body weight. He was also the only person to lose over 100 lbs. that season. Now it seems like that's the expected norm, regardless of your starting weight. Rachel Frederickson lost nearly 60%. Seems to me like the show has to keep upping the ante and it's getting out of control. Wonder how much longer before it gets shut down.

Agree! If I remember this correctly (and I really might not be), I think back in the first seasons, they had women who were even in the 100s on the show. They got voted off quickly for not losing enough. Every season the contestants on the show get bigger and bigger. For example, David started at 409 pounds. If he had lost 37% as the first season winner did, he would have lost 151 pounds and still have weighed 258 at the end leaving his BMI in the obese range. Not that I care one way or another if they have extremely obese on the show vs just obese, but it illustrates how the show has gone more extreme than when it started.