Skinny people who think they know better...

Replies

• leehgee89
    leehgee89 Posts: 22 Member
    -
  • leehgee89
    leehgee89 Posts: 22 Member
    I had a fun back and forth with a guy I never met on facebook after his comment of:

"I see obese people in the lifting area, they really need to get on a treadmill".

Aw hayl naw

Ahaaaha this cracked me up! Exactly what I was thinking!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I firmly believe that some people just get lucky with an amazing metabolism. I've known people personally who ate ~5000 cals a day, exercised little, and stayed skinny (although whether they are healthy is debatable). Meanwhile, here I am gaining weight on a meager 1500 cals/day. I've always wondered if these lucky people know they are gifted, or if they think overweight people must all be eating 15,000 cals/day. On the flipside, the "skinny woman" mentioned by the OP may have a lifelong eating disorder and believe that the key to staying thin is limiting oneself to 500 cals/day.

As a child I very strongly believed I would hit puberty and gain mutant powers.
    i also believed in santa clause, the tooth fairy, and the easter bunny
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    I firmly believe that some people just get lucky with an amazing metabolism. I've known people personally who ate ~5000 cals a day, exercised little, and stayed skinny (although whether they are healthy is debatable). Meanwhile, here I am gaining weight on a meager 1500 cals/day. I've always wondered if these lucky people know they are gifted, or if they think overweight people must all be eating 15,000 cals/day. On the flipside, the "skinny woman" mentioned by the OP may have a lifelong eating disorder and believe that the key to staying thin is limiting oneself to 500 cals/day.

have you actually researched that phenomenon of the skinny friend that always eats thousands of calories, never exercises and never gains weight?

overwhelming evidence of studies with dlw have shown this not to be the case, but if you have evidence beyond the 'I've known ...' it would be good to see
  • ndj1979
    Eating 35% below your TDEE while losing weight isn't healthy at all...

As a blanket statement that is incorrect - having occasional, or even regular, days of eating TDEE-35% is perfectly fine. I do this regularly, as my body is much happier, healthier and stronger (not to mention sheds pounds better) when I go through cycles of huge deficits mixed with cycles of higher intake. The PSMF folks take this to the nth degree, running cycles in the neighbourhood of TDEE-65% - I personally have not done that plan, but may do so in the future.

Furthermore, a 35% deficit for someone obese is just fine, even if done regularly, over an extended period of time. The dieter just has to make sure base nutritional requirements are met.

You're simply flat out wrong on this, and there is a ton of research backing it up.

If it's a regular thing, it's fine for obese people... who don't mind losing a lot of muscle in the process.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I'm definitely not flat out wrong.

if said obese person is lifting weight and getting adequate protein intake then they will not lose "a lot" of muscle.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

My older brother jumped off the roof of a three story house as a kid because, well, "cape."
  • HADAWAY8178
    HADAWAY8178 Posts: 8 Member
    Everyone knows what has worked for them (to stay thin or to become thin), when some one tells you how they did it don't think that they are telling you what to do. Take it for what it is... an exchange of ideas, it's one more thing to try, one more idea, maybe not for today but for later when you run out of ideas.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Everyone knows what has worked for them (to stay thin or to become thin), when some one tells you how they did it don't think that they are telling you what to do. Take it for what it is... an exchange of ideas, it's one more thing to try, one more idea, maybe not for today but for later when you run out of ideas.

Except me. If it's me, I'm pretty much telling you what to do.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

We didn't do Santa in my house. My mom didn't want some old white man taking credit for the gifts she bought with her hard earned money.
  • ndj1979
    OP - based on your previous posts in this thread I think that you were actually wrong in the advice you gave….just my two cents...
  • ndj1979

We didn't do Santa in my house. My mom didn't want some old white man taking credit for the gifts she bought with her hard earned money.

did anyone ever "do" Santa…? I thought he was a virgin…?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member

Poor Mrs. Clause didn't ever get none?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Isn't he married?
  • SunofaBeach14

Isn't he married?

Is that where the elves come from?
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Skinny doesn't always mean healthy. I've know many skinny/slim women who were physically weak and sick a lot, but they were praised for being thin

My mother is about 100lbs, 5'2" and super thin. Again she is told how great she looks. She smokes a pack day and eats like a bird. She has terrible health
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I want my invitation to Professor Xavier's school now. As a telepath I feel it is necessary. I foresaw the skinny shaming...acolypse.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    If she gave good advice then it doesn't matter her weight, size, fitness.

If she gave bad advice, then that is annoying.

I don't give advice unless people ask me and then I give the advice that I know about such as strength training with proper form, counting calories If that is what they want to do, calorie deficit, not too restrictive, protein, good nutrition is also nice as well however you manage it. I can't be their therapist and help them with emotional eating or binge eating, unless their issues are related to sexual abuse then I can support them very well with the underlying issue in most circumstances. Even though binge eating has never been my issue I can relate to certain emotional states which lead to coping mechanisms. If that is the issue.

And just because someone is slim doesn't mean they wouldn't eat all the calorie laden food in the world if it did not lead to weight gain. I mean we like the taste of yummy food also.

I've never had a weight issue, but because I'm very fit and have had two babies and I'm 35, and I am fitness oriented, people will sometimes ask my advice. I'm also a dancer and other dancers will ask advice.

I didn't read all the comments or really much past the first few. I know some people don't like that, but I really don't have time to read the forums.

Also, I am slim and fit and healthy, and I eat over 2000 calories a day, but it's not magic (just keep within my TDEE and I'm active).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

Yeah
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    The skinny people I know eat horribly. Just this morning. Strawberry milk and doughnuts one posted. Just because someone is skinny doesnt make them healthy. THATS what I cant stand lol. I know a few who eat awful everyday. Well just bc youre skinny doesnt mean your arteries and heart are in great shape!

Please stop. :noway:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Was this "internet argument" on MFP?