What happens to your body when you "carb binge"

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm going to do a research project to test the theory that consuming sugary foods not only impairs brain function but also contributes to highly aggressive behavior. Good night, kids.

will you be getting all of your research for this project from yahoo answers, and ask jeeves?

Taunts and mockery again? How did "Ask Jeeves" even come into the discussion? Actually, I DO know how to properly research a subject--but I fear my efforts would be wasted on the sugar advocates.

Taunts and mockery are about all the anti-science crowd are worth. One cannot have a serious discussion with a brick wall.

Labeling someone "anti-science" is a poor tactic.

You've done that yourself by ignoring the weight of peer reviewed studies in favor of yahoo and groups on the fringe.

It's why you are not taken seriously by anyone here.

Anyone? You are forgetting about all the people who read these forums but do not participate. You sugar advocates are very aggressive and very nasty to anyone who DARES to speak against your set-in-stone opinions. I can assure you that there are many more people who share my opinions than yours but they prefer to stay out of the forums because they do not want to get caught up in this kind of nonsense.

Actually, you have a good point.

There are those that believe in Bigfoot and mermaids. There are even shows for them on TV.

:flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That article made me feel ****ter than i actually did after eating all kinds of sugar yesterday! We all have off days and what makes all the difference is not to give up, look at each day as a fresh start. I agree I did feel sluggish late in the day and regretted eating what I did..but that's life! I'm not perfect and can't expect myself to never have sugar binges ever again.

if it makes you feel any better the article is a bunch of BS and is basically just sugar demonizing/fear mongering...

Would you say then that the AHA is "sugar demonizing/fear mongering"? Yes, I guess you would. Why do you promote the eating of something that is devoid of any nutrients other than calories? The medical establishment is focusing on the eating of sugar because the research is starting to pile up on the dangers of eating excess sugar. And, by the way, I have only ever cautioned on the eating of sugar by the obese or others with metabolic difficulties. In moderation, I agree that it APPEARS to be harmless on those who are healthy and active. But a lifetime of eating a lot of sugar? What nutrients are crowded out of the diet in the eating of a lot of sugar? The research has already shown the anti-cancer benefits of consuming the nutrients contained in vegetables and fruits. If an apple is not eaten, because one chose a piece of cake instead, important nutrients like quercetin are not obtained. Plant enzymes are not obtained. A lifetime of poor food choices likely add up. Will eating well guarantee that we all will remain disease free until well past 100? Probably not, but I and many others are living proof that eliminating added sugar from our diets has yielded big health benefits. Good day, sir.

so you eat fruit sugar which is fine, but added sugar is evil? Legit….

Sugar is just sugar…it is energy ..it is not "Bad" it is not "Good" it not a "poor nutrient source" it is just something that your body can use as energy.. Eat too much of it - like anything else on this planet - and you will gain weight.

you and your ilk demonize sugar and act as if we all just eliminated it from our diets that the world would be transformed into this magical place where there is no disease, or obesity …please….

You are infusing this discussion with moral imperatives in speaking of "demonizing" and "evil". Those are poor argument tactics and lend little to the discussion. The fact is, in 1900 few Americans ate more than 5 pounds of sugar per year and the vast majority of people were quite slender. Fast forward to today where the national intake is estimated at 150 pounds per year and we see a huge problem with obesity and Type II diabetes. Yes, people ARE eating more calories today BUT they are eating approximately the same amount of fats and protein that the people did in 1900. What makes up the difference? Excess carbohydrates and specifically sugar--40% of which is "hidden" in processed food.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I do love people who cut out something lets say sugar - lose a load of weight and feel much better and have less health problems. These people then go on and say - SEE it was the sugar making me sick, ignoring the massive weight loss lets say 66lbs.

Yep I'm sure the weight loss had nothing to do with the improvements in yout health - it was just cutting out the sugar :noway:

Oh and while I'm here, if you have an illness that doesn't react well to sugar it is the illness that is the problem NOT the sugar. My friend is deathly allergic to nuts - that doesn't make nuts evil, but the allergy. Do ya see the difference.

If you don't have said illness/allergy then there is nothing wrong with that food.

You cannot use an illness as a reason to say a food / nutrient is evil because then ALL foods would be evil. I'm not sure there is any food in the world that doesn't cause an issue for some unlucky person. Some people are even allergic to water - poor buggers.

/rant. :explode:

Wow I timed that rant perfectly :laugh:

If you were reading correctly (and considering someone's experience without rejecting it out-of-hand) you would know that I experienced a rapid decline in my blood pressure BEFORE I lost any significant amount of weight--JUST from eliminating added sugar. Tell me--do you always get so angry from participating in online forums? Maybe it is the sugar. You are the second pro-sugar person on this thread to display a lot of anger. Hmmm.

ETA: By the way, in the short-run, I will agree that eating added sugars and sugary foods APPEARS to be harmless for healthy, active people, and have already said so. But if it leads to a lifetime of poor food choices, I am doubtful that you can maintain that as harmless.

If you think I am genuinely angry by this thread you have more pressing issues than your sugar phobia :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and it's been proven that even a small drop in weight can have massive health benefits. So yeah. Weight loss not sugar.

Even just two pounds--because that is all the weight I lost before my blood pressure returned to normal. Read about the connection between fructose, uric acid and hypertension.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Actually, I'm going to do a research project to test the theory that consuming sugary foods not only impairs brain function but also contributes to highly aggressive behavior. Good night, kids.

will you be getting all of your research for this project from yahoo answers, and ask jeeves?

Taunts and mockery again? How did "Ask Jeeves" even come into the discussion? Actually, I DO know how to properly research a subject--but I fear my efforts would be wasted on the sugar advocates.

Taunts and mockery are about all the anti-science crowd are worth. One cannot have a serious discussion with a brick wall.

You've done that yourself by ignoring the weight of peer reviewed studies in favor of yahoo and groups on the fringe.

Anyone? You are forgetting about all the people who read these forums but do not participate. You sugar advocates are very aggressive and very nasty to anyone who DARES to speak against your set-in-stone opinions. I can assure you that there are many more people who share my opinions than yours but they prefer to stay out of the forums because they do not want to get caught up in this kind of nonsense.

There are those that believe in Bigfoot and mermaids. There are even shows for them on TV.

Well, thanks for elevating the discussion, S.O.B. :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    So the really anti sugar person on this thread agrees that sugar appears harmless but is still convinced that it can't be in the long run

smug
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LOL all I am saying is that sugar is not the devil and that when eat in moderation along with a calorie deficit one will lose weight and be healthy. It is the "sugar is evil" crowd that refuses to accept this and bombards every thread on here about sugar being the cause of all societies ills like obesity, disease, sugar addiction, and the like. If you do not believe then just search the thread topics on "sugar"...that should be easy to accomplish given you skill with navigating yahoo answers...
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    important nutrients like quercetin are not obtained.

It happened again.

When you get done digging, perhaps you'll be able to convince the people on the other side of the world.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Amazingly, at 45 years old I am still alive eating all this sugar and processed food over the years. Wow. I am a special snowflake!

Time for a McD's Big Mac and Apple pie.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    "Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable. You are a poor scientist, Dr. Venkman."
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Well, thanks for elevating the discussion, S.O.B. :flowerforyou:

You're welcome, Bush. It was getting pretty silly there.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

LOL I did not know that yahoo answers is the peer reviewed source that all scientists turn to in their times of need...

I have explained my choice of that short answer. To keep on harping on it is to lose sight of the other points that I have made in this thread and the very serious research that is being done. Dr. Richard Johnson and his team of medical researchers were able to produce metabolic syndrome IN TWO WEEKS in 60% of normal-weight, male subjects, by giving them a large, high fructose drink every day. The researchers were startled and chagrined with their results. They were actually looking for the possibility that there was some mechanism by which normal-weight people were able to deal more effectively with large amounts of fructose. While the dose was admittedly a large one, it was certainly not beyond what many people drink in soda pop every day.
    Do you know what metabolic syndrome is.....it doesn't happen in 2 weeks, wow. What dose od fructose were the participants given....better yet link the study.
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I feel that "when" is a little general to be discussed. I found the article enlightening. I know that once I start I cant stop and it becomes a slipper slope of binging. While this is my experience, I have a friend who can eat half a piece of cake and that's it., shes done. Completely fine. I eat the same amount and my cravings go insane, I feel sick and crappy. I am very sensitive to sugar. Even several pieces of fruit at once can throw my in a tailspin.

I truly apprentice you posting this article. And for me, too much is just looking at cake. Take care:drinker:

Same here!! And I have tried a million ways to rationalize that I should be able to eat cake and cookies and bags of chips. It never works out for me. Ugh. I think everyone is different.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live a life where a slice of lemon sponge cake is considered a binge.
    giphy.gif

It is still a free country, last time I checked.

WTH does Canada (which is a federal parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy not a "free" country) have to do with me not wanting to live a life where a slice lemon sponge cake is considered a binge? :huh: Your life is not mine. You want live without eating lemon sponge cake or any other foods on your Big List O' Naughty and Deadly Foodz, you do that, but don't try throwing me under your Sugar Iz Ebil bandwagon, or whatever it's called.

Sponge%2BCake%2B2.JPG

It is a manner of speaking meaning, " *shrug* It's your life--do with it what you will." Why the anger? Are you afraid that I am going to send the "Sugar Police" after you? And why bring Canada into the discussion? Honestly, sometimes I think that eating sugar must wreck brain cells or something.

You said it's a free country, so I can only assume you meant the country I live in which is Canada, but I still don't see where I live having anything to do with eating a slice of lemon sponge cake = a binge.

You have a much different interpretation of "it's a free country" than I do. I took it to mean "I will call a slice of lemon sponge cake a binge if I want because you are not the Boss of me", which has nothing to do with my life and my decisions concerning lemon sponge cake.

If you want to consider a slice of lemon sponge cake a binge, you do so. I would ask you to respect my decision to not consider a slice of lemon sponge cake a binge because that's how I live my life. #YOLOSWAG
  • ndj1979
    Options

LOL I did not know that yahoo answers is the peer reviewed source that all scientists turn to in their times of need...

I have explained my choice of that short answer. To keep on harping on it is to lose sight of the other points that I have made in this thread and the very serious research that is being done. Dr. Richard Johnson and his team of medical researchers were able to produce metabolic syndrome IN TWO WEEKS in 60% of normal-weight, male subjects, by giving them a large, high fructose drink every day. The researchers were startled and chagrined with their results. They were actually looking for the possibility that there was some mechanism by which normal-weight people were able to deal more effectively with large amounts of fructose. While the dose was admittedly a large one, it was certainly not beyond what many people drink in soda pop every day.
    Do you know what metabolic syndrome is.....it doesn't happen in 2 weeks, wow. What dose od fructose were the participants given....better yet link the study.

the "study" was actually some kind of forum on "food addiction" and "sugar addiction" so I am sure that all the "MD's" present were fair and unbiased towards sugar....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I feel that "when" is a little general to be discussed. I found the article enlightening. I know that once I start I cant stop and it becomes a slipper slope of binging. While this is my experience, I have a friend who can eat half a piece of cake and that's it., shes done. Completely fine. I eat the same amount and my cravings go insane, I feel sick and crappy. I am very sensitive to sugar. Even several pieces of fruit at once can throw my in a tailspin.

I truly apprentice you posting this article. And for me, too much is just looking at cake. Take care:drinker:

Same here!! And I have tried a million ways to rationalize that I should be able to eat cake and cookies and bags of chips. It never works out for me. Ugh. I think everyone is different.

you can eat cake and cookies...just stay in a calorie deficit...
  • neanderthin
    Options

the "study" was actually some kind of forum on "food addiction" and "sugar addiction" so I am sure that all the "MD's" present were fair and unbiased towards sugar....
    Do you know if there's a link anywhere.......this has to be cleared up just in case some innocent bystanders start having nightmares.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFo8ewlFpPxm3AhetcRKL4R2Rg2-ZzKM4UOLkInfSp539JxMfBimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVeHgRK2LmTXStf_GPK6p4-8rAELBQnSQvz37l_MN0A_4rOY-2
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFo8ewlFpPxm3AhetcRKL4R2Rg2-ZzKM4UOLkInfSp539JxMfBimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVeHgRK2LmTXStf_GPK6p4-8rAELBQnSQvz37l_MN0A_4rOY-2

I still want that cake
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    who owes me a "thank you"???
  • ndj1979
    Options

Do you know if there's a link anywhere.......this has to be cleared up just in case some innocent bystanders start having nightmares.

Umm if you go back a few pages you will see it ..I forget if it is a link ..I really did not even bother to check it out but some others did...