"GALS"

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm just answering the question.

I didn't realize people would be so shocked to know that language has a history...

Not for long. Since every special snowflake has to complain about every little thing eventually all language will look like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer nec odio. Praesent libero. Sed cursus ante dapibus diam. Sed nisi. Nulla quis sem at nibh elementum imperdiet. Duis sagittis ipsum. Praesent mauris. Fusce nec tellus sed augue semper porta. Mauris massa. Vestibulum lacinia arcu eget nulla. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Curabitur sodales ligula in libero. Sed dignissim lacinia nunc. Curabitur tortor. Pellentesque nibh. Aenean quam. In scelerisque sem at dolor. Maecenas mattis. Sed convallis tristique sem. Proin ut ligula vel nunc egestas porttitor. Morbi lectus risus, iaculis vel, suscipit quis, luctus non, massa. Fusce ac turpis quis ligula lacinia aliquet. Mauris ipsum. Nulla metus metus, ullamcorper vel, tincidunt sed, euismod in, nibh. Quisque volutpat condimentum velit. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam nec ante. Sed lacinia, urna non tincidunt mattis, tortor neque adipiscing diam, a cursus ipsum ante quis turpis. Nulla facilisi. Ut fringilla. Suspendisse potenti. Nunc feugiat mi a tellus consequat imperdiet. Vestibulum sapien. Proin quam. Etiam ultrices. Suspendisse in justo eu magna luctus suscipit. Sed lectus. Integer euismod lacus luctus magna. Quisque cursus, metus vitae pharetra auctor, sem massa mattis sem, at interdum magna augue eget diam. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Morbi lacinia molestie dui. Praesent blandit dolor. Sed non quam. In vel mi sit amet augue congue elementum. Morbi in ipsum sit amet pede facilisis laoreet. Donec lacus nunc, viverra nec.

Nonsense Latin? That makes sense.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

I didn't realize people would be so shocked to know that language has a history...

Not for long. Since every special snowflake has to complain about every little thing eventually all language will look like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer nec odio. Praesent libero. Sed cursus ante dapibus diam. Sed nisi. Nulla quis sem at nibh elementum imperdiet. Duis sagittis ipsum. Praesent mauris. Fusce nec tellus sed augue semper porta. Mauris massa. Vestibulum lacinia arcu eget nulla. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Curabitur sodales ligula in libero. Sed dignissim lacinia nunc. Curabitur tortor. Pellentesque nibh. Aenean quam. In scelerisque sem at dolor. Maecenas mattis. Sed convallis tristique sem. Proin ut ligula vel nunc egestas porttitor. Morbi lectus risus, iaculis vel, suscipit quis, luctus non, massa. Fusce ac turpis quis ligula lacinia aliquet. Mauris ipsum. Nulla metus metus, ullamcorper vel, tincidunt sed, euismod in, nibh. Quisque volutpat condimentum velit. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam nec ante. Sed lacinia, urna non tincidunt mattis, tortor neque adipiscing diam, a cursus ipsum ante quis turpis. Nulla facilisi. Ut fringilla. Suspendisse potenti. Nunc feugiat mi a tellus consequat imperdiet. Vestibulum sapien. Proin quam. Etiam ultrices. Suspendisse in justo eu magna luctus suscipit. Sed lectus. Integer euismod lacus luctus magna. Quisque cursus, metus vitae pharetra auctor, sem massa mattis sem, at interdum magna augue eget diam. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Morbi lacinia molestie dui. Praesent blandit dolor. Sed non quam. In vel mi sit amet augue congue elementum. Morbi in ipsum sit amet pede facilisis laoreet. Donec lacus nunc, viverra nec.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.
  • emtbabe1029
    Options

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

and SCENE.
  • Quasita
    Options

I do know what it is, I'm just not sure what it has to do with the evolution of PC language. Thanks for the lecture though. I wouldn't be much of a publishing professional if I wasn't aware of such things.

It doesn't make it any less gibberish, or any more relevant to the discussion. Unless, of course, the implication is that we won't be able to speak in anything other than nonsense, which I think it a ludicrous concept.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

OK. The word ice is offensive to eskimos.

Prove me wrong.
    You are white, you aren't allowed to determine what's offensive to eskimos!! *angry face*
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Also, since it was a term used by white people towards black women, white people don't get to decide if it's offensive or not.

You are saying this like it is fact, can you provide some insight to your opinion? Where was this used?

I have never heard gal used as a derogatory term toward black women, so I am curious what your reference for this is.

It's not an opinion, it's history. I studied cultural anthropology. I am sure if you google "gal derogatory black women" or "gal black slavery" you will find plenty of information.

You actually don't though -- I googled it and I only get a link to Urban Dictionary.

ETA I was googling "gal" and "racist" and also "gal" and "slur".

http://www.blackvoicenews.com/columnists/joseph-a-bailey-ii-md/45114-slave-names-in-the-americas.html
    And that is the ONLY result I got when I googled.

And he lists no sources.
    '

Interesting, seeing as when I Google "gal derogatory black women" as the poster suggested, I got several results. Now, they aren't as specific to the term as the poster would like to think... And when I wrote my response to this thread, I was discussing loosely from my own study. The term is an alternative pronunciation of the word "girl", which is how it connects. There is ample usage in historical literature to support the usage of "boy" and "girl" as a way to de-personalize the person in reference.

Yeah I got the same number of responses when I googled "gal derogatory black women". In the name of science I also googled the same string except for replacing the word "gal" with random words. I used words like oil, banana, sugar, slingshot.... Guess what, I got an equal amount of returns for each as I did for the word "gal". Conclusion: returned results in google do not equate racism level.

Either way, it isn't the history of a word that makes it painful. It's the context and intent. The second any word becomes commonly used as derogatory, it gives a bad vibe and is stricken. Then a new "PC" word is nominated as appropriate. Well, that is until the public again starts attaching negativity and that once PC term is now on the "no-no-list".
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

^^ What he said
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    it just means "girl".

a "ragtime gal" means a girl on her period. (like the song)

I think ragtime gal means a girl who likes ragtime music....not necessarily that shes o.t.r. (on the rag). I doubt there would have been a song so popular talking about a women sailing the crimson waves back in those times

Well apparently it means a black slave girl who likes ragtime music....?
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Gal: "a unit of acceleration equivalent to one centimeter per second per second."
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    American history in slavery is relatively short and young compared to the existence on a global scale, which is one of the reasons the vehemency of people is so interesting to me.

<~~~~ Jewish :wink:
    Oh Bravo... Bravo
  • Quasita
    Options

^^ What he said

Still not seeing the relevance to the evolution of PC language. As I posted already, I know what the text is from a publishing perspective, but it bears little meaning to this conversation. My comment is no less correct just because a person can Google and copy/paste word for word off of Wikipedia. (or any of the other sources that post his response word for word) I hate plagiarism.
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    it just means "girl".

a "ragtime gal" means a girl on her period. (like the song)

I think ragtime gal means a girl who likes ragtime music....not necessarily that shes o.t.r. (on the rag). I doubt there would have been a song so popular talking about a women sailing the crimson waves back in those times

Well apparently it means a black slave girl who likes ragtime music....?
    Ragtime Music? (yes / no)
    Alanis-Morissette-Montreux-12-CD-sleeve-hr.jpg
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    All I know is that all the members of the police department who are of Irish descent weep whenever someone calls for the Paddy-wagon.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Either way, it isn't the history of a word that makes it painful. It's the context and intent. The second any word becomes commonly used as derogatory, it gives a bad vibe and is stricken. Then a new "PC" word is nominated as appropriate. Well, that is until the public again starts attaching negativity and that once PC term is now on the "no-no-list".

*standing applause*

Absolutely true. I have a tendency to say things like ma'am or madame when I am speaking to an older woman or someone who i am trying to show respect to. I have had one person turn around and accuse me of calling her a prostitute and another of saying that she runs one. I said, Misses to one married woman and she replied, "Mrs? As in the Mr's? Like he owns me?!" So yeah, people get angry about all sorts of things.

Racism is something that will be around for as long as there are sneeches with star bellies and those without. Why are we concerned about words that no longer have any power of us? Register the intent, and move on.
  • gsnobel
    gsnobel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread has now made me want to take a dump. Sorry if offended anyone, see you in a few.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey i remember you!!! :drinker:
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I love reading the first page of a thread and then the last page. It's super-awesome crazy where this conversation devolved. I swear, you guys and gals who just look to make trouble on Internet forums... maybe time for a more-positive, less-weird hobby?

Where I come from, "gal" is like the way a person with a Southern, or maybe specifically a Texan, would pronounce girl, due to their accent. I've heard of women taking offense to it, although it's never been explained why (unless women prefer to be called women, instead of girls). I've referred to women as women before, and receive shocked reactions. Why wouldn't I call them a person? Why a woman? The sake of being specific, I suppose.

People who take genuine offense to a word like "gal" should probably be wearing a helmet most of the time, anyway. And your SIL sounds like a fabulous person; I have no idea why people would start calling her offensive names or accusing you of making it sound like your SIL is an offensive name. The internet makes me feel old with how often peoples' behavior confuses me.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I took a cooking night class at the learning annex and we learned that people are at least 9000 times more likely to find random nonsense to be offended by, for every 15 minutes they spend googling stuff. I asked the professor to verify it, but he just gave me a link to yahoo answers.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got the same number of responses when I googled "gal derogatory black women". In the name of science I also googled the same string except for replacing the word "gal" with random words. I used words like oil, banana, sugar, slingshot.... Guess what, I got an equal amount of returns for each as I did for the word "gal". Conclusion: returned results in google do not equate racism level.

*swoon*

Marry-me-GIF-Arrested-Development-Maeby.gif