WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! This has been such a messed up week for me. I guess the timing of the snow was good for me since I was going to have to be at home anyway. I did go into one job late this afternoon to get the bulletin done. I took the girl child with me although she whined the whole time. I didn't want to leave her by herself and she needed to see her kitties and see if there was anything from her apartment that she needed. Her "boyfriend" came over to see her while we were at her apartment and he kept her company while I scooped litter boxes, doled out food, washed a sink full of dishes (still another sink full to go), and swept and mopped the kitty room. I couldn't stand the mess in there! I mostly cleaned her bedroom while I was there on Wednesday, so the living room and part of the kitchen are still waiting for me. All of her laundry is done and folded/hung. I will have her pick out a couple of things to keep here and then put the rest of it away at her apartment. Her apartment is adorable (built in the 1920s with lots of molding and hardwood floors) with a lot of my sweat equity in it and it distresses me to no end to see how dirty it is. :angry: I promise that I raised her better!!

My son has chosen yet again to not visit his father this weekend. My ex's neglect is coming back to bite him. I support my son in his decision but I do miss my time alone. I guess it's better to have him here this weekend since his sister is here anyway. Maybe next weekend, I will have some breathing space. (In case you haven't realized it, I'm an introvert who NEEDS time alone!)

Today was not an excellent eating day, but I did manage to get enough exercise calories in to counteract my misbehavior. I also know that I worked hard cleaning today and those calories don't get counted by my Fitbit.

Congratulations to those of you who received a gift from the scale this morning! I got one as well, and I will take my 3/10 lb and run with it. :bigsmile: I'm happy for family members who are recuperating and have the sick and struggling in my thoughts and prayers.

Tomorrow, I hope I wake up nice and early so that I can get to the grocery store around 9 a.m. (after the temps get above freezing but before the hordes arrive) to pick up a few sale items and replenish my bread, milk, and yogurt. When I bought groceries last week, I did not anticipate having another mouth to feed and we have been having oatmeal smoothies and overnight oatmeal every morning. BTW, if you haven't tried the overnight oatmeal, it is awesome! :love: The girl child's throat has been swollen and sore due to the manipulation of her trachea during the surgery, so smoothies, soup, and grilled cheese sandwiches have been on the menu every day.

I guess I'd better get to bed and rest my old bones. :yawn:

Carol in somewhat thawed NC
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day!

I guess that I’m one of those who have accepted American-size portions as the norm. We went to the Cheesecake Factory last night for dinner, and I decided to order off of their “skinnylicious” menu instead of totally sabotaging myself (they no longer have my favorite sandwich there). When my meal arrived, I was so surprised at the small size that I exclaimed out loud to the busboy, “I can certainly see why they call it skinnylicious!” Hubby said that was rude. It didn’t taste very good, either. I almost think I would rather order a regular sandwich/entrée and just take half of it home. The calories would be very similar that way.

Do any of you watch “The Voice?” It’s some sort of a singing contest, which I haven’t seen. They have versions in Europe, too. The Voice Belgique (in Belgium) has the daughter of our best man and maid-of-honor at our wedding as one of the contestants! I’ve been watching clips of her performances so far, which is a lot of fun.

Hubby brought home a car for me to try out today. It isn’t the one I’ve been wanting, but he thought I might like it instead. It’s nice, but I’m fairly set on the other one, and hate to spend so much money on one that isn’t quite what I want. I’m not sure whether to take this one as a stop-gap for a year or so, or to just tell him no. Decisions! (This was a coincidence -- he doesn't celebrate Valentine's Day or any other American holidays).

I looks like I may finally get back to Mexico, after having to stay at home with my parents for the last year while hubby went. I’m still a bit hesitant to leave my folks, but I can’t stay home forever, and they’ll have someone to check on them twice a day. This is good motivation to stick to my eating plan! :glasses:

I can’t seem to get to the thread more than every 3-4 days lately, and then find that I am at least 8 pages behind. It’s great that we’re such a dynamic group! You’ll have to forgive me for not always getting to all of the posts. :blushing:

Cjchip – Congratulations on your marriage! The best thing that you can do is to just start. I regained 14 lbs. this last year, too. I started again at the end of December, and have 8 of them off again. You can do it! Just take it one day at a time and try not to be hard on yourself. We’re only human.

Vicki – So glad that your father is doing so much better!

Joyce – Thank you for sharing your story!

Jane in Colorado
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wish Charlie would get home from Karaoke so I could go to bed. Really, really tired. But I know I won't sleep until I know he is OK. I know he is out with one of his best buddies who would take care of him if anything happened, he has his cell phone with him and best bud does to. But still, I just want to make sure he did OK. I guess I can say since he has been out for over 4 hours that he has done OK. But he is a perfectionist when it comes to his singing, well everyone else's also. So if he couldn't perform as well as he expected of himself I know he will be hard on himself. I have tried to get him to go out and just enjoys other peoples karaoke experience but that's a no go for him He wants to be the one on the stage.

I survived major chocolate craving tonight. Mother Nature helped with that! I don't have nay in the house and it's just to darn cold to go out and get it. But with Valentines Day over I know that it will now be Easter things out. And that means my two favorite chocolate candies, Hersheys candy coated chocolate eggs and the Cadbury mini candy coated eggs. I know there are bags out there calling my name. They have been to my house before and expect the same again! I am their chief admirer!!!! So I turned the TV off earlier, ate my bedtime snack early, it has now been 3 hours since I did that but I still want that chocolate. I wish I liked dark chocolate.

I need a Chocolate Eaters Anonymous intervention here

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    Joyce- I love the cadbury eggs too, and the marshmallow eggs in the egg crate.. bad I am very very bad.
    if the snow isnt to bad we will be going to a seafood restaurant tonight.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Awake early this morning, since 4:30; gave up and got up. DH wandered down just now which is very unusal. Yesterday he held the couch down most of the day........his B-day, so he could take it easy........but he did take advantage of the great temps (close to 60!!!) to go for a walk/run. Made a sweet potato pie for his treat........must have been OK; it's half gone. I went out in the yard and just sat with my face to the sun and it felt glorious!!!

I'm heading to tai chi and yoga for 8am.

Made that Moroccan chicken dish last night and served it over brown rice; guestimated a bit on the cals. Had a hunk of boneless turkey breast instead of chicken too; turned out pretty good; but will increase the curry next time.

Katla.........Hmmm, I'd say that Direct broke the contract by substituting such an awful weather channel........sorry you are stuck!

Barbie.........Glad you got to see "Monuments Men"; I liked it very much it too.

Michele............Hope you get a travel date; when is the Daytona race?

Carol............I appreciate my "alone" time too. Having DH change work hrs. and now be home in the evenings did NOT get my vote.

I did hear from DD yesterday afternoon and I still think something is "up" with her; I can hear something in her voice; can't fool moms.

Got to get my birds fed!
    yanniejannie
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie :smile: I do believe I would call the school and see if they would check on DD! I used to tell my daughter if I don`t hear from her after I`ve tried to contact her several times, I would send a search party looking for her, she knew I meant it too, just tell me you`re okay and I won`t bother you again! Hope things are okay!!! Just saw where you heard from DD….so glad for you:bigsmile: !!!!

Cjchip :smile: Congrats on your marriage:heart: ! Happy early birthday:flowerforyou: ! You`ve lost the weight before, you can do it again!!!

Alison :smile: Stop in NC on your way to Jamaica, I`m ready to go too:glasses: !!! Gail will have lots of company:laugh: !!! Hubby remembered anniversary with flowers, I think that`s fabulous:love: ! I shoveled snow yesterday, it is a workout, a hard workout….ouch!!! Enjoy your seafood dinner tonight!

Susan :smile: Congrats on having only 5 more treatments to go:flowerforyou: !!!

Katla :smile: I have Direct TV too, I have to admit I didn`t watch the Weather Chanel often, usually everytime I checked it some reality show was on. I`ve not paid any attention to Weather Nation. I usually check the weather out on my phone, I have the Weather Channel app. Glad to hear the rings are safely put away until you get them sized!!! Glad the MRI went well!!! What a fantastic shopping trip:bigsmile: !!! I think I would prefer a tankini too!

Renny :smile: Congrats on the pound gone:bigsmile: !!!! Woo hoo!!!!

Teral :smile: That Valentine took me back to my days in elementary school:love: !!!

Vicki :smile: Wonderful news about your dad:flowerforyou: !!!!

Juanita :smile: A little color against all the white:love: , hopeful that spring will arrive soon! Congrats on the ½ pound loss:bigsmile: ….I would log it!!! I love the tulips on your ticker!!

Joyce :smile: Great advice to all the new ladies! I can`t believe your hubby is out already after just being released from the hospital:huh: !

Margaret :smile: A 2 pound limit sounds like a great idea! Glad you`re feeling better!!! :drinker: Having my coffee and water with you!

Jane Martin :smile: Glad DD is feeling better, now you take care of yourself and get to feeling better too:flowerforyou: ! Mexican for lunch sounds delish!

Kathy T :smile: Your dinner sounds just wonderful!!! Congrats on being cancer free:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: !!!!

Cynthia :smile: I tend to eat when I`m tired:yawn: , it keeps me awake, I have now switched over to hot tea, and going to bed earlier! It`s good to log everything, at least if you stop losing you can go back and check your food log and find a pattern!

Barbie :smile: How sweet of Jake:love::heart: :smooched: !!!

Michele :smile: The race is this coming weekend, and Vince hasn`t decided when you`re leaving yet:huh: ? I tend to like to know in advance too! I`m excited that the weather is going to be gorgeous here this coming week:glasses: , maybe even in the 70`s:bigsmile: !!!

Jb :smile: LOL, you HOT lady:smokin: !!! I love the gift!!! Congrats on the pound gone:bigsmile: !!! Woo hoo!!!!

Carol in NC :smile: I`m another one who needs time alone!!! DD will outgrow the messiness, at least some of it, my daughter used to be the same way, she`s a great little housekeeper now! I do have to remind her on occasions when she`s fussing at the girls that she was just like them at that age:tongue::laugh: ! Wasn`t then temp yesterday just wonderful…54 degrees, melted a lot of the white stuff!!!

Jane Hadji :smile: I do believe I would choose from the regular menu and only eat half! Don`t settle on the car:noway: , if it`s not what you really want, you will never be happy with it! I`m so glad you`ll be getting back to Mexico:glasses: , I know you`ve really missed those trips!!! Congrats on getting rid of 8 pounds:bigsmile: !!!!!

I shoveled snow for an hour and a half yesterday:noway: , still did not get to the front or side porch. I have a friend in the police dept. and he came down in his patrol car yesterday with chains on the tires and it cut up the snow into slush:happy: ! I cleaned off the concrete at the garage doors, sweet little Noel hated walking outside once it was slushy, she just stood there and kept raising her little paws, she was delighted when I took her out and she could walk around on the concrete:happy: ! I did shovel out some of the yard so she could find some grass to “go” on! I am sore this morning all over, even my feet and wrists are sore! I admire you all who have to shovel snow, it`s a hard job!!!

Have a wonderful Saturday ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where the snow is thawing!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: it's almost 40 degrees, the full moon is shining brightly, my breakfast is finished, and I'm headed out with the first dog for a walk.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: have a great day and stay active even if you plan to watch hours of the Olympics :bigsmile:
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Today is my two-hour walk with DH to get coffee. The 15th of February, we call "cheap chocolate" day, when the valentines chocolate gets marked 50% off! We will stop by the drug store and scoop up a box on our way. Close your eyes, and don't look, Joyce!!

Yanniejannie, I would be all over that sweet potato pie!

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: I love your DH’s gift, a fire extinguisher because you’re “so HOT.” :heart: It looks like we’re in for a soggy time around here according to the weather forecast. Stay dry.:flowerforyou:

NC Carol: You are one busy lady. I hope your daughter heals quickly and you get some alone time.:flowerforyou:

Jane in CO: Be sure to let us know what you decide about the car. I hope you are able to go to MX with your DH.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I hope your husband has a grand time singing. Good luck with your Easter candy challenges. I am a sucker for peanut butter cups and have some as a treat now and then. I’ve learned not to buy more than one package of two. The Halloween candies this year triggered a lot of extra eating and extra bike riding to compensate. At least I have a good splurge remedy available with my bike in the garage.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: Tai Chi is something we’ve wanted to try but haven’t made it yet. I’d love to hear what you like and dislike about it. I’d also like to know what to look for in an instructor. I hope your DD is okay and there is no serious issue.:flowerforyou:

DD: An hour and a half is a LONG time to shovel snow. I can believe you’re sore! I hope your pain eases right away. :flowerforyou: When I was shoveling snow I broke it up into short sessions and focused on getting the snow away from our siding. I left big piles in the middle of our deck. My dog has plenty of hair to keep warm and he survived just fine. All of it is gone now, and we’re in for a week of rain and in parts of our state they’re predicting possible flooding. My neighbor warned me that tankini tops ride up. I looked in a couple of stores and the only things available were UGLY. :frown: Maybe there will be better things later in the season. I’m thinking that I may buy a tank suit and wear shorts and a top when I’m not planning to actually swim. I’ll decide later based on what I find.:flowerforyou:

There was news today of an earthquake in SC and GA. I hope all of you “Southern Belles” are safe and have no damage. I wonder if this is related to fracking. I was told by a passionate your college student that fracking caused some earthquakes in PA. Be safe and well.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! Hope your weekend is off to a great start. The scale was kind to me and I am down about 1.5 pounds today.:happy: I have to admit though that I have really been hitting the exercise the last two weeks. It somehow seems to help with sleep since I am on so much prednisone and I need that sleep to keep me from getting really cranky.:laugh: I got a nice card with a gift certificate for a massage from my DH yesterday. Very nice noncalorie way to celebrate. Ahhh!!!

Katla - Try Water Wear online for a bathing suit. They have many tankini options. You can even buy different size tops and bottoms if you need to. The physical therapists at work love them because they are in them all day and it is easy to use the restroom when they have to. Our dress code says the midriff must be covered and these work great. If you call by phone they will be happy to assist you with sizing and they are very good at it. I have been wearing these suits for years although I prefer a tank for swimming laps. Good luck!

Joyce - Glad your DH is home and feeling good enough to sing!:laugh:

Nothing special going on this weekend. Singing with small ensemble at church tomorrow for two services. Plan to go out to see my horse tomorrow afternoon. Still having some trouble lifting my saddle up over my head so will practice even if I don't ride. They say temperatures should be warmer, we will see.

To those of you shoveling snow I hope it ends soon. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD: Thanks for the tip. I'll look at the website right away.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    "Pat, I’m from Ohio and my name is Patty. Where about’s in Ohio, I live outside of Cincinnati? "

Pat,I am Patti in real life,so that makes 2 of us. We are just outside of Columbus.

Do you have a knee problem? Have been thru that with both knees. Pat in Ohio
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I hope you are all recovered from the sugar high of Valentines Day.

The kids were at our house for about 5 hours last night, and although it was really fun, I was exhausted when they left. They have so much energy! I made chocolate dipped strawberries for after supper and they loved those. They put on a puppet show using the drapes over the bay window and the back of the sofa for their theater stage. They used grandpa's big flashlight to use for a spotlight, and the electronic piano playing canned musical beats for accompaniment. It was really cute. I thought I was the only one watching but then saw hubby taking pictures from the doorway. Then we settled down to do a puzzle. Sort of. The oldest was talking so much she couldn't focus on the puzzle and middle child was obsessed with my i-pad, so it was mostly me and the little guy doing the puzzle. I had two chocolate strawberries along with my (low salt)sweet and sour pork and brown rice, so I didn't think I did too bad, but this morning the scale showed me back to 206 instead of the 205.4 I had yesterday. Grrr! Swimming this morning should help. It felt good too.

Today I'm at the studio getting ready for a clay club meeting. This is the first time in a long time it's been at my place. Hubby came and helped me get ready, and brought a bunch of chairs from home. Now I'm just resting and waiting for people to arrive.
    It's always fun when we get together.

After the meeting Hubby and I will go out the the lake with the dogs. That is a good place to relax.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Sylvia
  • PauletteBoston
    Options
    Hello!

I am new here. Starting my diet on Monday. Just sayin hi!
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I did it! I did it! woohooo I'm below 300. I lost .8 lbs and that was enough to do it. I'm so excited. (where is that happy dance smiley when you need it?) :laugh:

Went to aquafit this morning and then went to buy DD a new suit as she has shrunk out of hers and is passing it to me. Win win day :)

Watching the olympics this afternoon.

Have a great day!

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I'm back and I have survived! :laugh:
    Only just - I am completely exhausted.:yawn: Though I've done no exercise todsy I have been on the go since 6.15 this morning. I must admit I didn't protest when they said they were going home Saturday evening instead of Sunday! DH is off at football and when he was here he was monoplolised by DGS, which left me with all his chores, like a MOUNTAIN of washing up!:laugh: :tongue:

The Valenyines meal was great and everyone really enjoyed themselves. The day was extremely stormy and wet eith a lot of flooding and damage to property. DDil arrived in a complete state and burst into tears as she had driven through deep water to get to us. We thought we might have to csncel, but DH bsttled through the torrential rain snd wind yo pick up DS and my brother and his wife made it through, although they phoned to check first if the roads were passable. A great time was had. :drinker:

Today, with DH gone, I made gingerbread men with DGS and we all iced them and stuck baubles on them.:happy: I ate a tiny bear. Now I am lying on the sofa waiting for DH to come home. His team won today.:drinker: I will serve up the last of the Swedish Meatballs for him. Delicious!

Well, I overate yesterday by about 1, 000 cals. Today I am about even as I have been on my feet all dsy. So I have 3 dsys of being good ahead of me to even things out. Should be doable. I have my yoga friend coming on Tuesday to do yoga with me while the class is shut for halfterm and she is staying for a light lunch. Other than that I can be extra careful. Don't want to start putting on.DH is away next Tuesday night and Wednesday.

He's home! ! ! ! !
    Bye for now!
    Heather in Hampshire UK

Sandy - congrats:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Sylvia - I feel your tiredness!

Just seen the snow you have on the tv.! Hugs!
  • Lindadh65
    Lindadh65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am trying hard too. I may not be able to do alll my calories right but i can do this
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new to this whole thing - even posting :smile: But am hoping to find a community of folks to cheer for and be cheered by. I read some of the posts and already feel like I have an easier go - as in N.California we have no snow, no rain:frown: , and right now it is 55 degrees out - so no excuses to not get out and moving...

happy weekend to all.

Kim
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Happy,happy dance for you Sandy.

Landing below a good number is wonderful! ????????????????????????Dance away!!!!!!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    SANDY.......................YAY!!!!!!! Dancing with you!!! Congratulations, girl!!!