Losing Weight after HORRIFIC Cymbalta

Options

Replies

• ReveBriser
    ReveBriser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went off Cymbalta about 3 weeks ago, largely because I blamed it for gaining so much weight. I had done Insanity on it and hardly lost any weight at all. I was on it for depression, but how big I was made me more depressed so I decided enough was enough. I did a little research into holistic treatments, and am currently working through a Therapeutic Lifestyle Change group based on the book "The Depression Cure" by Stephen Ilardi. I am interested in sharing my experience and supporting others if you need it.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For me cymbalta has actually been the thing that finally helped me with my fibromyalgia after trying many other solutions. I did gain weight over the past year and a half but I don't think it was caused by the cymbalta. I had some additionally issues with my thyroid and steroid medications that didn't help either. At the end of the day though I was just eating too much and stopped exercising. I don't think I could be exercising like I am now without the cymbalta though.
  • ermahampton
    Options
    I stopped Cymbalta last Feb., and I am STILL losing weight!! I have lost nearly 70 pounds now, and they kept telling me that I was eating too much. Different people react differently to medications, Anyway to know side effects, drug interactions you can visit here http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/cymbalta.html
  • Julesdublin
    Julesdublin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Effexor did the same to me – I’ve gained over 22lbs in 6 months. I took the pills for 1 year but the last 6 months I was weaning myself off it. I had awful withdraws symptoms. The brain zaps drove me crazy. The fits of tears as well.
    I will never take an antidepressant again in my life – it’s a promise I made myself.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta isn't a drug associated with weight gain, actually the reverse. Drugs don't make you gain fat, eating too much makes you gain fat.

some drugs can mess up your hunger/full signals which means that someone who's always maintained a healthy weight through listening to their hunger/full signals (which IMO is a good habit to be in) will gain or lose weight through doing the exact same thing they've always done which helped them to maintain a healthy weight, i.e. listening to their hunger/full signals. If a drug has messed those up, the person taking the drug rarely knows that this is going on, few doctors even mention all the side effects of the drug, and if weight gain is mentioned, there's no discussion of *why* this happens (e.g. whether the drug actually slows the metabolism, whether it disrupts the hunger/full signals) or what to do about it, so the inevitable result is that someone gains weight without actually changing any of their habits.

People who've maintained a healthy weight throughout their life have done it through listening to their hunger/full signals, they don't weigh or measure their food, they usually don't know how many calories they're eating, they barely pay attention to that, they pay attention to "I'm full, stop eating now" - and if that signal doesn't come when it should because of the drug, then yes, the drug did cause them to gain weight. That doesn't mean that weight gain is inevitable or can't be reversed, but how many people who are put on these drugs are told by their doctor "this drug may cause you to accidentally overeat because it messes with your appetite signals, so you should start counting calories while you're on this drug to ensure you're not overeating, thus preventing weight gain" - I'd say pretty much no-one is actually told that.... and even when they do gain weight, they're rarely told why or told how to fix it.

OP: you should discuss this with your doctor before quitting the drug. If the drug is helping with the medical condition, you can prevent the weight gain and lose the weight you gained, but you'll likely need to count calories to do so, without actually quitting taking the drug. The weight gain isn't inevitable. See what I wrote above.
  • Erinelda
    Options
    I am on Cymbalta. I only take 1 every 2-3 days because I stay loaded with side effects for that long. I am not going to go off cold turkey, I will open the caps and count the dots first. It takes less and less to feel better. I tried to go off of it but the nausea, and dizziness was too much for me.

Oh and I know it messes with my hunger signals as someone said above. It causes me to feel sick instead of hungry most days and then I can't feel I am full until I am stuffed.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I was written up for Cymbalta today. My doctor said very few people gain on it (?).

After reading all of these posts, there's NO way I'm taking it :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • tishstevematerna
    Options
    I have had the joy of taking Cybalta and in the past 6 months I have gained 40 lbs. I am typically a thin person, so this is a shock to me. I am shocked that there are those that believe that drugs do not cause weight gain. If i have 40lbs of fluid on me, I should be dead! SSRI's are notorious for causing weight gain and decreasing metabolism. My diet never changed in the past 6 months only medication. I have no other culprit other than Cymbalta.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Doctors pretty much tell you what the drug reps tell them about side effects and such, imho.
  • allessior
    Options
    That is correct. If you don't taper you are asking for trouble. You could have easily gone from 60mg of Cymbalta, to 40, then 30, then 20, and the time frame would depend on your symptomology.

As far as weight gain is concerned, being on pain meds and Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors (like Cymbalta), which can be used for depression AND pain management, you can gain weight by virtue of impacting your hormo e balance. For example, if you are a male, your testosterone levels MAY decrease dramatically, making weight loss practically impossible. You are not putting on weight per se, but addiitional intake of calories become very difficult to burn away. To treat that you would need hormone replacement therapy, such as Androgel for males.
  • MicheleLK1
    Options
    I was prescribed Cymbalta 30mg in November 2013 for Nerve Pain due to a number of surgeries on my elbow and also for neck pain related to spinal stenosis. The Cymbalta worked pretty well for the pain. I did gain 10lbs after the 2nd week of taking the medication and my eyes became puffy. In Feb 2014 my dosage was increased to 60 mg, the first week, I gained an additional 5lbs and by the 3rd week another 5lbs---there was no change to my diet and I had begun walking 4 times a week for one hour. It worked great for the pain. So now I am up 20lbs and could not fit into any of my clothes. I also began experiencing horrible hot flashes and I was sweating all the time...in the middle of winter I was drenched with sweat. I was preparing to go on a trip the end of March and decided I could not handle the hot flashes OR the puffy eyes. My eyes were so puffy, I almost could not see properly. So while I was on vacation for a week, I reduced my dosage back to the leftover 30 mg pills and I had no problems with any withdrawal. This past Monday I stopped taking the Cymbalta all together. Yes, I have had a headache, some nausea and I feel light-headed. However, I have been peeing non-stop and since Tuesday evening (I weighed my all time high of 182 lbs) I have lost 10 lbs and the swelling in my eyes is finally going away--I am also not experiencing any hot-flashes. I am taking Zofran to help with the nausea and excederin for the headache and I am drinking tons of water to help flush this medication from my system. So YES, the cymbalta CAN cause weight gain and it has nothing to do with diet or exercise----for me it was obviously fluid retention--it will be interesting to see how much more weight I lose in the next week. Cymbalta is a great medication for nerve pain & it was also wonderful for reducing my neck pain--but for some individuals, such as myself, the side-effects can be too much. For me, gaining so much weight in such a short period of time, the fluid retention, the swollen eyes and the hot flashes was just something I could not handle. Hopefully my DR can find a medication that works better for me. I will see her on Friday and by then I hope the withdrawal symptoms have eased a bit. A few years ago, my Mother was on Lyrica for her Fibromyalgia and she had to stop taking it because she ballooned up so quickly from fluid retention. Ever "Body" is different on how it reacts to medications. However, I would not recommend quitting any SNRI cold turkey--taper off, and work with your Doctor (An ethical Doc will taper you off); in my case, I have had to taper from different medications, so I knew what I had to do to gradually reduce the dosage and I hadn't been on it for a long period of time, so my symptoms aren't so bad, but PLEASE seek medical care when going off this medication to avoid dangerous side effects. I will see my doctor on Friday. Best of luck.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this post! After my divorce my doc prescribed Celexa and in 6 months I had gained 30 pounds that I had lost the previous year. I was so disappointed and stopped taking them. Never had any side effects but my new doc mentioned Wellbutrin actually helps with weight loss. Is this true??
  • MicheleLK1
    Options
    I used Wellbutrin many years ago and it had no effect on my weight.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this post! After my divorce my doc prescribed Celexa and in 6 months I had gained 30 pounds that I had lost the previous year. I was so disappointed and stopped taking them. Never had any side effects but my new doc mentioned Wellbutrin actually helps with weight loss. Is this true??

As is the answer with most of these meds, "maybe". Some people lose on it, some don't, but generally it is regarded as weight-neutral. It would be HIGHLY unlikely for it to hinder weight loss.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta is not a quit cold turkey kind of drug. Please talk to your doctor about your concerns and work with her/him to wean you off it. There was a reason the drug was prescribed in the first place, so I would make sure you original need for the drug has abated or your doctor can suggest alternatives.
  • jennyla2
    jennyla2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I realize this is an old post, but for those saying Cymbalta is an SSRI, you are only partly correct--it's an SSRNI (serotonin and Norepinephrine), so it's not "just like" Zoloft, nor is it just like Wellbutrin. It can make you gain or lose weight.

Someone said medications can't make you gain weight--they are incorrect. Medications CAN and do make you gain weight. They can do this by increasing appetite, decreasing metabolism, or causing water retention. You can lose weight, but it often takes longer than it would if you weren't on the meds and people get discouraged. I have been on many different SSRI's and some did increase my weight and some didn't It depends on the person and the medication.

So, those of you quick to say "no medication can make you gain weight," I respectfully disagree. Of course, being on a medication is no reason to give up on your weight loss goals, nor should you stop any of these medications without a doctor's supervision.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • orna018
    orna018 Posts: 1
    Options
    i have been on effexor for three years since my son passed away. i had knee surgery last summer and i have been gaining weight and retaining water. i am up 30lb. i switched to cymbalta and i still can't lose the weight. i have been a size 4 my whole adult life. this is horrible. i feel awful! i am trying to wean myself off cymblalta and drinking tons of water and doing cleanses with lemon water and apple cider vinegar. i was hospitalized for high blood pressure and vertigo. my kids think i've gone insane and my husband is very very concerned. i am on 90 mg. cymbalta and have started taking 60. next week i'll try 30 and see how i do. i just can't even look at myself in the mirror. i am fighting the sadness and the grief of losing my beloved child but i feel physically horrible as well. i will let you know how i do. wish luck. good luck to all of you and thanks for your help!
  • Chrysalis07
    Options
    Over 12 years ago I was prescribed Effexor for anxiety attacks brought on by nightmares. Within the space of 4 months, I had gained 120 lbs (no, that is not a typo). I had never been fit but I had been thin prior to that, and had not at all changed how or what or how much I ate. Prior to the drug, I was 150 lbs. After 6 years of doctor after doctor telling me I ate too much and lied about how much I ate, I was referred to a weight loss program at our hospital. The psychiatrist confirmed that Effexor absolutely can cause massive weight gain as I experienced, and changed my prescription to Cymbalta. He claimed it was weight neutral. My weight remained stable for about 3 months, and then I gained another 60 lbs over the next three months. In addition, I started to experience severe personality changes which included periods of lapsed judgment and memory loss. Over the 5 1/2 years I was on Cymbalta, suicide was constantly looking over my shoulder and nearly won. I lost a job I loved, and have not been able to hold a good job since. I am now disabled physically and mentally. I have lost most of my friends and family and i lost my home. I have been off these drugs for over a year now (with doctors supervision). I increased my activity levels to 6-10 hours a week in the gym plus 7 hours a week walking the dog. I did this for 4 months solid. I watched everything I ate. Stayed between 1000 and 1200 cal. Per day, which is what I've always eaten. Played a bit with those numbers based on contradicting advice given, but I am not capable of eating more unless I add unhealthy high calorie food that generally is and never has been part of my diet. I drink around 12+ glasses of water per day. And I gained 8 lbs. I did not gain muscle....I did not lose inches. And I still have memory loss and occasionally struggle with suicidal thoughts. I suspect that Cymbalta may be fat soluble. This means that every time I burn fat, I reintroduce the drug, which is stored in my fat cells, into my body as if I was still taking the drug...its the same concept of flashbacks from recreational drug use. No doctor will confirm that this is possible or likely, just as they did not confirm Effexor was the cause of my initial weight gain until it was too late. I have been trying to lose this excess weight for 12 years, with no success. Every bit of my excess weight can be attributed to these two drugs. What the heck can I do to lose the weight when diet is not a factor? It's so frustrating! I got so pissed off I quit going to the gym and havent gone for about 2 months and walk the dog for about half the time I used to. I lost about 5 lbs and here I stay. I had a binge eating day about 2 weeks ago....didn't gain or lose. Tomorrow, I will be going back to my strict monitoring, but have to wonder what is the point because I'm certain the drugs are still responsible.
  • Kmcgowan7
    Options
    I've noticed weight gain w cymbalta. And even noticing how much harder it is to loose. I was prescribed cymbalta a few years back and I actually lost weight on it... Now it seems to have the opposite effect. It's really unsettling when u eat 100% healthy and work out consistently.
    Compared to pristiq, I think cymbalta was MUCH easier to come off of. U can taper w cymbalta down to 10 I beleive. And the past 3 times I've done it, symptoms only lasted about a week. Be sure u stay active. That really helped me.
    I feel your pain... There's no happy medium. Most anti depressants either make me a zombie or fat...
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sometimes all it involves is asking your doctor to switch you to something weight neutral. If not, switch doctors IMHO.