What is the one thing you can not over look when dating?

Options

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Must be self sufficient! I already have 3 children, I do not need another....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    KIDS. That would be the one absolute dealbreaker for me. But this is because I have chosen a childfree life permanently and have known for about 15 years now that I would NEVER wish to become a parent, stepparent, or even be in a slightly similar role.

I am happily married now -- but I'd date a guy who was unemployed as long as he was able to support himself (through unemployment, savings, etc) and had a short-term plan to resolve the situation. I've been in that position myself and had enough living expenses for quite awhile so I'd certainly have hated it if my now-husband did not want to date me just based on my being at a turning point in my life & career. It was actually quite nice to have some down time.

I have owned homes myself in the past and sold them, so I'm a renter again and I see a lot of benefits to renting quite honestly. So that would not be an issue for me. And I have been divorced after a 9+ year first marriage so I wouldn't mind at ALL if the guy I dated was also divorced.

I'll admit though - I would be concerned if I discovered the guy I was dating had a sketchy credit history and/or huge amount of debt. Those things are way more important to me than how much a guy earns or whether he owns a car or a home. So (another example) if a guy got around by foot, bike, or public transport...I would not care, but I WOULD be concerned...what happened in his past? Or is it a real and legitimate choice he made due to environmental or health reasons...stuff like that...

I know a lot of women my age (37) who have become quite picky at our age and even if they didn't go to college (for example) will not date a man without an advanced degree, large income, etc. I don't really understand that myself. I do think I am kind of picky...I could not date a guy whose musical taste I didn't like, LOL But I am also understanding...and I refuse to hold a man to higher/different standards than those I have set for myself. I think that seems like some of those women with requirements of $X salaries and specialized professional fields are just seeking a better meal ticket - ugh. JMHO.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    When I was single

cigarette smoker, Bad breath, Awful Teeth, Generally Unkept/smelly,
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Cigarette smoking
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Bigotry.

Pretty much this.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Must be self sufficient! I already have 3 children, I do not need another....

Exactly!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    a hairy bush
    giphy.gif
    at least brush it \m/
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    tighty whiteys

frequent mentions of an enchanted forest
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    tighty whiteys

What if I stepped out of the shadows in the enchanted forest? Could you still resist me then?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    tighty whiteys

What if I stepped out of the shadows in the enchanted forest? Could you still resist me then?

Only if you had a fanny pack on
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Back hair, bad teeth, and sh!tty tattoos.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    someone who is rude to others, especially waitstaff. i've been known to call people out for this.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyone with the name "Jill."

Nope.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    tighty whiteys

Only if you had a fanny pack on

Do NOT accept a peanut butter sandwich...
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    bad teeth. I mean, come on.

Yeah same here, I couldn't date someone who's parents couldn't afford braces as a child, I mean they are obviously out of my social class!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    bad teeth. I mean, come on.

Yeah same here, I couldn't date someone who's parents couldn't afford braces as a child, I mean they are obviously out of my social class!

FU, we were really poor. Food was more important :(
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Smoking and kids (not against kids, just want to be first for awhile)

As for unemployed. It depends. If they are actively doing what they can to find a job, going to interviews, taking classes...I'm fine with that. But if they aren't doing anything, complaining that they have no money, live at home and have no plans on leaving...that's another story.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Cheaters. . I've been on first dates where the girl admitted she cheated during her marriage. .

Oh my! . . look at the time!. .

Oh. . and hairy armpits.
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Smoking, bad teeth (sorry, it's true), cheap, rude to other people. And arrogance. And if a guy takes longer than me to get ready, it's done.

This is also probably why I'm single...